PDA

View Full Version : PG 4 Kelowna 0

Sput
09-17-2006, 04:18 PM
Cougars cap Rockets' pre-season
By DOYLE POTENTEAU
Sunday, September 17, 2006, 12:00 AM

Kaspars Saulietis says Prospera Place has nice viewing angles — especially from the penalty box.
On Saturday, the Kelowna Rockets showcased Saulietis, their latest acquisition, as the a 19-year-old winger from Riga, Latvia, made his debut in a 4-0 loss to the Prince George Cougars before 3,729 fans at Prospera. Selected by Kelowna earlier this summer in the CHL’s import draft, the six-foot-one forward didn’t join the Rockets until this Wednesday because of visa problems.
“I had maybe five shifts in first (period), three in second and . . . . maybe five in third. And eight minutes penalties,” Saulietis said in broken, but quite understandable, English. He was hit for slashing and interference, then had to serve two others which weren’t his handiwork: too many men and tripping for teammate Lucas Bloodoff, who earned a misconduct near game’s end.
“This is not how I play,” continued Saulietis, who did show flashes of speed when he did touch the puck.
“I’m not a tough guy. I need to score, so give me the pass. This is a little bit different hockey for me; it’s more physical and it’s faster. But it’s good; I’m glad I’m here.”
Dan Gendur, with two, Kirk Meaver and Brett Robertson scored for Prince George (5-1-0-0), which led 2-0 and 3-0 at the period breaks, while Jordan White made 23 saves for the shutout. Kris Westblom made 29 saves for Kelowna (2-3-0-0) in his first appearance since returning from an NHL prospects tournament in Traverse City, Mich., on Wednesday.
The season opens Thursday night with Kelowna visiting the expansion Chilliwack Bruins, and it’s expected Westblom will be the Rockets’ starter.
Rockets president and general manager Bruce Hamilton says it’s just a matter of time before Saulietis adjusts to the North American game.
“He just got here two days ago, so he has some adjusting to do,” said Hamilton, whose team didn’t produce many highlights, unless you count 17 minor penalties.
“But that’s what these games are for, to see our kids. And that’s what we did — play all our kids. I can’t say the same for them . . . they played eight 19-year-olds, but that’s fine.
“Our guys have to learn how to play. Our discipline with regard to the new penalties was terrible. A lot of our young guys haven’t seemed to grasp it yet, and that’s going to take time. Our coaches have a big week ahead of them getting the team ready for Thursday in Chilliwack.”

www.KelownaDailyCourier.ca

Sput
09-17-2006, 04:19 PM
Thanks scamperdog! I did a copy/paste from your post on the Kelowna board.