PDA

View Full Version : After last nights game I did some thinking on current players

Warrior Fan
09-18-2006, 12:40 AM
Couple quick notes...
Herman had his best showing the camp/preseason. Gillen looked strong. Grantham is tough... should stick. Nyren was good. Stanton stood out as did Sutter. Frere was the worst defensive player on the ice. Could be a huge star or total bust. He can fly. Robinson got a goal maybe he needed that to get going.
Prokop is strong and big. He looks a little awkward but he will develop nicely. He is going to make the club.

Forwards
McArdle-shoe in to lead the team in scoring and will dominate
Holzapfel- shoe in for second on the team in scoring. Very strong player
Gillen- will challenge for second in scoring this year
Herman-shows flashes of what he can do with better consistancy
Wray-If he decides to play he is going to dominate. He is so strong.
Bast-Best player on the ice in a couple of the games
Nyren-Rookie of the year (Warriors) Leads rookies in scoring. 15 goals
Grecica-Bluechipper, very strong and skates well. Decent hands and nose for net
Prokop-Bluechipper, reads plays well. Not playing alot last season slowed progress but will catch up very fast
Smith-has the talent to dominate. Needs to do it every shift though.
Rapac-looks like he will be a fan favorite. Exciting and plays with heart.
Grantham-Big and strong. Nose for the net. Works hard and hits every shift. Would be nice to see Grantham on a line with Bast. Make some room for him in the corners for sure.
McKenzie-No hands, can change the momentum of a game with a hit....just doesn't do it enough. Skates well in straight line.
Robinson-lacks the heart and desire at this point. Zero improvement over last season.
Barkwell-seems to create offense but he lacks D zone coverage. Small but skilled. Question mark really.
Reige-big strong winger, plays with an edge. Needs to work on skating. Has a decent shot and should contribute.
Jones-one can only pray... correct me if I am wrong. LOL
Defense
Grundling-workhorse, strong, smart and fiesty
Zetariuk-great shot, some toughness, experience
Erhardt-the future, highly skilled, good first pass...needs to work on patience with the puck
Chapman-Reliable dman, improved skater and puckhandler, will log higher minutes this season
Sutter-smart player, works hard, strong in own zone.
Frere-incredible skater, weak in D zone, could develop under Lemaire
Stanton-strong stay at home dman, rookie will develop into steady dman
Suer-Bluechipper, THICK, strong and reliable. Good hockey sense.
Hamonic-if he doesn't make the team this year he is a shoe in next as a 17. Good offensive skills. Good passer, skater and physical player. Work on strength this season.
Perricone-starter...nothing else to be said at this point
Jebson-best goalie in camp... some will disagree with this but it is how I see it. He is big, mobile, plays the puck well, and is positionally sound. Most polished goalie in camp. Will only get better as well.
Karambelas-Bad camp, bad preseason, likely cost him a shot at back up role. Big, quick goalie with strong glove. Will be back next year.

As I see it...
Jebson has won the back up role. Grantham has outplayed Mckenzie in the hitting department and is toughest on the team by far. Notice I said on the team. Barkwell will earn a longer look. He is 19 and Robinson is 18. I think he has more to offer than Garret at this point. Grecica and Prokop are the future of our offense to go along with Labreche and Sommers next season as 17 year olds. Throw in Burns and Maylan and that is a strong 6 kids at the 17 and 16 year old spots. I think Hamonic and Frere are the odd men out. Frere should be traded to a team that needs a skating dman and Hamonic will be back with a vengance next season. Simply not enough room this year for the "bluechipper". Nice thing is I see a real stong and balance squad that is bursting with young talent and skill. We will compete this year and start to make a run again the next couple. If the Warriors can land a Durand, Setoguchi, Spurgeon that could change a few things but we are only in need of high end center and frankly if the price is too high I would pass on dealing any of this high end youth away. No way. If you can get it for a older dman, and Robinson and McKenzie than I say good for us.

This should create a little chatter I am guessing. I am sure you can all pick it apart but if you do please give reasons why and who and why you would keep someone different. Thanks

Warrior Fan
09-18-2006, 12:50 AM
At least what I would try....
McArdle Gillen Rapac- not sure if Gillen can play center role.
Holzapfel Wray Herman-may have to switch Gillen and Holzapfel.
Smith Bast Grantham-fiesty Smith should create lots of work for Grantham.
Reige Nyren Grecica-decent "third" line
Prokop Barkwell.... see how things go early on.

Grundling Chapman
Zetariuk Erhardt
Sutter Stanton
Suer....Hard to cut Hamonic IMO

Perricone
Jebson

Try to deal Robinson and McKenzie for sure. They are valuable assets and a team will gladly take them.

SeventhHeaven4U
09-18-2006, 12:57 AM
Very nice work Warrior Fan!!! I look forward to hearing more about the guys from you this season!!!

It's kinda nice to see the preds I made on my 360Yahoo Blog are backed up by someone who is actually in MJ watching these guys... Either that or we're both out to lunch! lol

Hatguy
09-18-2006, 07:58 AM
Warriors Send Down Hamonic, Karambelas

Written by Darren Stein
Monday, 18 September 2006
Warriors down to 2 goaltenders, 8 defensemen, 16 forwards.

Opening day countdown has begun.

The Moose Jaw Warrior roster got a little smaller following Saturday's pre-season game against Swift Current.

The Warriors sent goaltender Evan Karambelas and defenceman Travis Hamonic back home.

Joey Perricone started both games over the weekend, which the Warriors lost in a shootout 3-2 Saturday and won 7-6 in a shootout Saturday. However GM Chad Lang says the back up goalie job wasn't decided until after the weekend.

"We still had practices, and opportunities to evaluate the guys off the ice, how they interact with our players. The decision basically was made (Saturday) night, as a group we sat down, went over our evaluation from the last few weeks, and as a group made the decision."

Karambelas heads back to the Princeton Posse of the B.C. Junior B League. Hamonic goes to the Winnipeg Saints of the Manitoba Junior League.

Make sure you catch the first Wayne & Laverne's Warrior Round Table tonight from 6:00 to 7:00 on 800 CHAB.