PDA

View Full Version : 4th fight of the game = Suspension?

nivek_wahs
09-18-2006, 04:26 PM
I was checking out the WHL transactions and saw (http://whl.ca/transactions/transactions.php?id=3425)...

09/16 Mitch McColm Lethbridge Hurricanes One game for being 4th fight vs. Kootenay on Sept 15

09/16 Liam Jeffries Kootenay Ice One game for being 4th fight at Lethbridge on Sept 15

09/16 Randy McNaught Chilliwack Bruins One game for being 4th fight at Vancouver on Sept 15

Is there a new rule that hasn't been explained, because this is new to me...

langdak
09-18-2006, 04:31 PM
Its probably 4th fight of the pre-season seeing as one cannot fight 4 times in a pre-season game as you get turfed after your first fight

LifelongChiefsFan
09-18-2006, 10:16 PM
Its probably 4th fight of the pre-season seeing as one cannot fight 4 times in a pre-season game as you get turfed after your first fight

Sounds right, besides I think all the punishment from being in 4 fights in one game would be worse than the suspension, lol :laugh: :spineyes:

GOBLADESGO#3 (among other aliases)
09-18-2006, 10:34 PM
i always thought it was 3 fights and your ejected, or is that onjly in the nhl?

Sput
09-18-2006, 11:03 PM
Its still 3 fights in a game, but I think these guys all had four fights total in the pre-season. Remeber...fight in pre-season and its a game misconduct. Four pre-season fights= a one game suspension.

dj-kris
09-18-2006, 11:09 PM
i dont think that is it since mcnaught didnt have a fight all pre season and in fact he didnt fight on friday he was just on the ice during the broo ha ha only two fights during it

Sput
09-18-2006, 11:32 PM
Well...trying to make sense of it all....could it be that the suspended players WERE the fourth fight of the night?

Wildeyes
09-18-2006, 11:54 PM
they have this in the SJHL where as

Successive – staged fights:

Situation:

” You have one fight – players are taken to the penalty box. Players line up for face-off. Puck is dropped and then another fight breaks out – players are taken to the penalty box.

For those situations where successive staged fights take place, the following standard will be adopted:

Once the teams are lined up the referee blows the whistle, then skates over to the benches and advises the coaches that, “If there is a third fight then the players will be ejected from the game in addition to any other penalties that they may receive. The coaches of the offending teams will be ejected from the game. The referee then allows each team to make a line change if they wish. If a player does not become a combatant in the 3rd fight situation – the coach and the player of that team would not be ejected. The player and the coach of the team that did engage/instigated in the 3rd fight situation would be ejected along with any another penalties they may receive.

The linesmen will ensure that they are positioned to heighten player awareness by positioning themselves in between the wingers on each side of the ice while the referee is advising the benches of the “Successive fight instructions.”

mind u this is the SJHL

neutral
09-19-2006, 11:51 AM

The fights in question were the fourth fights of the night. In exhibition play, you are automatically given 5 and 10 for a fight and removed from the game, so the maximum number of fights per player in exhibition is 1 per game.

09-19-2006, 10:19 PM
oh im sorry i thought you were saying was it 4 games and your out, but how can you fight 4 times in one game if you get kicked out if you fight 3 times?, it doesnt make sence

patsdude114
09-19-2006, 10:31 PM
they want the preseason to not be fight filled so they inforce this rule so the players will concentrate on playing hockey.... fighting does have its place in the game but not these staged fights...... if something happens druing the flow of the game sure thats part of the game...when u get all these young guys out there playing there emotions get the best of them too many times (so do the pros too but)

I think the 4th fight rule is a very good 1 and it should be used during the regular season too... if theres more then 4 fights in a game there usually isnt much hockey being played anyways....

Dont get me wrong i enjoy watching a fight like the nexted guy, but really its not a huge part of the game, the game it self is based on skill and finence (man i hate spelling lol wheres my gf when i need her lol)

dj-kris
09-19-2006, 10:45 PM
4 fights by any player, the fourth fight of a game means the players in that fight get a game suspension

09-19-2006, 11:08 PM
lol weve all been there pats dude been there done that, but anyways i think i get it now, is it all the players that were involved in all 4 fights get suspended a game?

dj-kris
09-20-2006, 12:59 AM
oh my! ok in pre season the player gets kicked out for fighting so there is no way they can get in four fights in one game the suspension is for the fourth fight that breaks out in a pre season game and so on

Jimmypop316
09-20-2006, 01:27 AM
Isn't this the rule where if there are a certain number of fights going on at once that they get kicked out of the game?

IE a line-brawl?

nivek_wahs
09-20-2006, 01:33 AM
Isn't this the rule where if there are a certain number of fights going on at once that they get kicked out of the game?

IE a line-brawl?Correct.

Rule 56. Fisticuffs

(e) A game misconduct penalty shall be imposed on any player who is assessed a major penalty for fighting after the original altercation.

Notwithstanding this Rule, at the discretion of the Referee, the automatic game misconduct penalty will be waived for a player in the altercation if the opposing player was clearly the instigator of the altercation.

(NOTE) In the case of altercations taking place after the period or game the fine under this Rule shall be assessed only in the event that an altercation is commenced after the period or game has terminated.

ihlemic10
09-20-2006, 07:39 AM
The fights in question were the fourth fights of the night. In exhibition play, you are automatically given 5 and 10 for a fight and removed from the game, so the maximum number of fights per player in exhibition is 1 per game.

From what I saw in Everett there is an exception to this, if one player is given the Instigator penalty, the other player does not recieve a game misconduct. This happened a couple of times in Everett during the tournament. Not saying thats an excuse to let a player fight 4 times during a pre season game, but like any other rule, there are exceptions. This league does not seem to be too keen to disclose on their website all their rules in situations like this. Heck, it might even be a stretch for them to announce the suspensions.

neutral
09-20-2006, 08:07 AM
From what I saw in Everett there is an exception to this, if one player is given the Instigator penalty, the other player does not recieve a game misconduct. This happened a couple of times in Everett during the tournament. Not saying thats an excuse to let a player fight 4 times during a pre season game, but like any other rule, there are exceptions. This league does not seem to be too keen to disclose on their website all their rules in situations like this. Heck, it might even be a stretch for them to announce the suspensions.

Yes, there is an exception for fights involving an instigator. Lets see if an example clears everything up for 5 fights in one game. Hopefully.........

Fight 1
Home - Smith and Visitor - Jones
Both given 5 and 10, ejected from the game

Fight 2
Home - Johnson and Visitor - Peters

Fight 3
Home - Domi and Visitor - Gretzky

Fight 4
Home - Naslund and Visitor - Iginla
Both given 5 and 10, ejected from the game, and a one game suspension

Fight 5
Home - Chara (instigator) and Visitor - Bartuzzi
Chara gets 2, 5, 10, ejected, and a game
Bartuzzi gets 5

ihlemic10
09-20-2006, 09:17 AM
Makes sense. I just hope this is a pre-season only rule about 4 fights...

langdak
09-20-2006, 10:53 AM
In exhibition play, you are automatically given 5 and 10 for a fight and removed from the game, so the maximum number of fights per player in exhibition is 1 per game.

That is exactly the same thing that i said, not sure why you need to type it over again

neutral
09-20-2006, 12:52 PM
That is exactly the same thing that i said, not sure why you need to type it over again

What you typed was:
Originally Posted by langdak
Its probably 4th fight of the pre-season seeing as one cannot fight 4 times in a pre-season game as you get turfed after your first fight.

Not to split grammar hairs, but saying "probably 4th fight of the pre-season" and "one cannot fight 4 times in a pre-season game" are quite different from "In exhibition play, you are automatically given 5 and 10 for a fight and removed from the game, so the maximum number of fights per player in exhibition is 1 per game." Must be the curse of my grade school grammar teacher.

langdak
09-20-2006, 01:49 PM
What you typed was:
Originally Posted by langdak
Its probably 4th fight of the pre-season seeing as one cannot fight 4 times in a pre-season game as you get turfed after your first fight.

Not to split grammar hairs, but saying "probably 4th fight of the pre-season" and "one cannot fight 4 times in a pre-season game" are quite different from "In exhibition play, you are automatically given 5 and 10 for a fight and removed from the game, so the maximum number of fights per player in exhibition is 1 per game." Must be the curse of my grade school grammar teacher.

If you wanna play grammar police thats cool

I still dont see an issue with what i typed, it clearly states 2 different things

grainbear
09-20-2006, 05:28 PM
I spoke to a refree today who is not a regular WHL official , he works primairly in the Midget and Bantam AAA leagues . And he stated that it works as follows, it does not matter who gets the 4 th fighting major of the game that player even if it is their first fight in the game is the one that gets evicted and that applies to both teams. Not sure if this is the same in WHL but that was what I was told when I asked