PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Acquire Rutherford From Vancouver

nivek_wahs
09-18-2006, 07:03 PM
http://www.spokanechiefs.com/news/?ID=1535

CHIEFS ACQUIRE RUTHERFORD FROM VANCOUVER
9/18/2006

The Spokane Chiefs have acquired 19-year-old forward David Rutherford from the Vancouver Giants in exchange for a fifth round selection in either the 2007 or 2008 WHL Bantam Draft.

“David is a player that plays with skill and speed but also competes,” Chiefs General Manager Tim Speltz said. “The new rules fit his game.”

Rutherford is entering his second full season in the WHL after appearing in 41 games last season with the Giants. The Ladner, BC native scored four goals and 10 points and was +5 in 2005-06.

GF71
09-18-2006, 07:31 PM
He is absolutley PUMPED to be going there. He will be there tomorrow. You are getting a kid that skates like the wind. AWESOMME stick handling skills. He gives it his all...but gets knocked off the puck a bit to easily and like to go for the triple gainer, and he chirps but what are you gonna do. I have watched David play for the better part of 3 years. He can be pretty effective, BUT he has to get top 2 line ice time. Will he get it in Spokane?

90-91
09-18-2006, 08:08 PM
He is absolutley PUMPED to be going there. He will be there tomorrow. You are getting a kid that skates like the wind. AWESOMME stick handling skills. He gives it his all...but gets knocked off the puck a bit to easily and like to go for the triple gainer, and he chirps but what are you gonna do. I have watched David play for the better part of 3 years. He can be pretty effective, BUT he has to get top 2 line ice time. Will he get it in Spokane?

It's great to hear that he's excited to come here to play.

Whether he gets top 2 line ice time is hard to say.....

Hobson, Ryan, Wahl, Grabner, & Bowman will be solid top 2 line players...so if he can beat out the other forwards for that final spot maybe.

Glad the Chiefs are picking up another speedster.

90-91
09-18-2006, 08:43 PM
BUT he has to get top 2 line ice time. Will he get it in Spokane?

I just re-read your post......Why does he HAVE to get top 2 line ice time??

I have no doubt that he'll get plenty of ice time....but where ever he fits in.

GF71
09-18-2006, 09:32 PM
He has to get top two time to be most effective...His game is a run and gun type, strong on the PP. If he gets reduced minutes he will be expected to grind it out, and he is NOT a grinder. All flash and dash this kid. One of his biggest weaknesses is his lack of strength. A corner man he is not. You'll see, when you watch him play. If he gets the time to wheel he is much more effective, but he was too far down the Giants' depth chart.

90-91
09-18-2006, 09:35 PM
Oh, OK thanks for clarifying that.

The Chiefs are set up to be a run & gun type of team this year, so he should fit right in.

I'm looking forward to watching him play this weekend.

LifelongChiefsFan
09-18-2006, 10:07 PM
I hope he is able to contribute right away. The Chiefs always seem to trade for an older player right before the season starts. Rutherford being excited to play here will help him if that enthusiasm translates to a good work ethic on the ice. However since he has not been in the WHL for that long I'm not expecting much from him...at least for the start of the season.

chiefgongshow
09-18-2006, 10:49 PM
He was apart of the Memorial Cup team, which is always a plus as players that have those experiences keep that winning attitude with them. Thats one of the biggest things Spokane has needed over the years in the lockerroom.

Jimmypop316
09-19-2006, 01:29 PM
He has the most important part to the team right now, a damn good attitude from the sound of things. He should fit in nicely, and hopefully if he plays like stated above he should be a nice addition to the offence.

Swando
09-20-2006, 02:33 AM
He was apart of the Memorial Cup team, which is always a plus as players that have those experiences keep that winning attitude with them. Thats one of the biggest things Spokane has needed over the years in the lockerroom.

Unfortunately David didn't play much of the last 1/3rd of the season due to a shoulder injury. When he was healthy others had stepped up and surpassed him. His best part of his season was his first 5 games...and then injuries and lack of playing time beset him. I think you guys have a kid that will do "alot" better now that he is not playing in his back yard.

bones
09-29-2006, 03:22 PM
Is he still wearing a bubble, or has he finally switched to a half visor?

Carebear
09-29-2006, 03:49 PM
Is he still wearing a bubble, or has he finally switched to a half visor?

Pretty sure he's been wearing the half visor for awhile.

Jimmypop316
10-03-2006, 11:36 AM
Got to see him in action on Saturday night in Tri-Cities and was impressed as all hell. He is all over the ice, in the corners, making passes and making a lot of things happen. His work ethic is amazing and is absolutely welcome on this Chiefs team. I hope it starts to translate on the scoresheet for him too.

A good comparision to a current Chiefs player would be Saskasandwich (Szaszkiewicz).

GF71
10-17-2006, 10:06 AM
How has David been playing? what kind of ice time is he getting? I see he sure isin't setting the world on fire points wise. Has he even dressed for all the games?

Jimmypop316
10-17-2006, 11:17 AM
How has David been playing? what kind of ice time is he getting? I see he sure isin't setting the world on fire points wise. Has he even dressed for all the games?

If he hasn't dressed for all of them, hes played in a majority of the games for the Chiefs.

Hes a high energy player though, a definite nice addition to the team. Uses his speed to draw penalties and is in the corners/battles a lot doing his best. Hasn't really been showing up on the scoreboard, but he is definately making a difference

LifelongChiefsFan
10-17-2006, 08:33 PM

I'm pretty sure that he's been in every game so far and seems to get as much ice time as most of the other players. The Chiefs so far have rotated their four lines pretty consistently, with all four getting about the same amount of ice time. As for the points, the Chiefs usually don't have any individual players that light it up on the scoreboard (aside from the occasional oddball year like '03 with Schell and Klassen) so it shouldn't be too suprising he hasn't put up a whole bunch of points.

Jimmypop316
11-04-2006, 02:25 AM
Rutherfords been lighting it up lately.. I just wanted to bring this up because the kid is reminding me of Greb Leeb. Small (definately not as short) and just full of the ol piss and vinegar with and able to finish the plays, etc.

Just wondering if anyone else got that same vibe. Hell, he even wears the same number as him.