PDA

View Full Version : Giants Final Roster

jason hardole
09-19-2006, 01:55 PM
Final Giants forwrads befiore final roster is published... Whats everyone's thoughts: They will probabbly carry 14 forwards who will be the odd man out?

1Jason Reese
2Lance Bouma
3J.D. Watt
4Tim Kraus
5Kyle Lamb
6Craig Cunningham
7Spencer Machacek
8Kenton Dulle
9Mitch Czibere
10James Wright
11Mario Bliznak
12Garet Hunt
13Michal Repik
14Milan Lucic
15Chad Scharff

dondo
09-19-2006, 03:19 PM
Final Giants forwrads befiore final roster is published... Whats everyone's thoughts: They will probabbly carry 14 forwards who will be the odd man out?

1Jason Reese
2Lance Bouma
3J.D. Watt
4Tim Kraus
5Kyle Lamb
6Craig Cunningham
7Spencer Machacek
8Kenton Dulle
9Mitch Czibere
10James Wright
11Mario Bliznak
12Garet Hunt
13Michal Repik
14Milan Lucic
15Chad Scharff

hmmm.. i wonder.... :rolleyes: :D

langdak
09-19-2006, 03:26 PM
hmmm.. i wonder.... :rolleyes: :D

Seriously dude, its time to give it a rest

Beaner
09-19-2006, 03:51 PM
I think the first thing that needs to be settled is the overage situation, before we start looking at even more cuts.

Will Festerling be back?

From what I am hearing from ducks fans, he will be, thus the question becomes which of the 4 overagers, Lamb Scharff Festerling or Slade goes?

If one of Scharff or Lamb gets moved, then that settles pretty much all of the forward debate.

I hate to say it but it looks to me that Scharff or Lamb is the odd man out, and only because of their age.

Kassian
09-19-2006, 04:00 PM
Unfortunately it should be Scharff.

TheBrass
09-19-2006, 04:31 PM
Given Beaner's scenario of the decision coming down to either Lamb or Scharff there is no way I could make up my mind about what I would rather see/what makes more sense. Can't we produce a fake birth certificate for one of them?

Knuckles Muldoon
09-19-2006, 06:17 PM
The Giants potential weak spot is scoring. Lamb and his 26 goals must stay. If so, it will be hard seeing Scharffie walk; but that's the way its looking if Fester comes back.

GF71
09-19-2006, 06:51 PM
The Giants potential weak spot is scoring. Lamb and his 26 goals must stay. If so, it will be hard seeing Scharffie walk; but that's the way its looking if Fester comes back.

I gotta agree with that. It will all depend on Festerling though. Chad is a HUGE part of the team in the room. He has more of an impact than most peopel realise, but SCoringis going to be an issue. Yes Chad is versatile...good at many things, but not great at any one thing. I think with the emergance of some of the rookies Chad might be in tought. It is too bad, as he is a great guy. I remember his rookie season, he sat beside us for half the year. He finally earned a regular spot and now age becomes a factor. It is part of the WHL every year though. Time will tell.

Carebear
09-19-2006, 11:24 PM
Aww...I really like Chad, he seems like one of those guys who would just be a genuinely NICE guy...which there really aren't many of in the hockey world. He and JD always impress me because its always one of those two who passes a puck to a kid over the glass...and makes that kids year! Definitely don't want to see him go.

Swando
09-20-2006, 02:03 AM
I gotta agree with that. It will all depend on Festerling though. Chad is a HUGE part of the team in the room. He has more of an impact than most peopel realise, but SCoringis going to be an issue. Yes Chad is versatile...good at many things, but not great at any one thing. I think with the emergance of some of the rookies Chad might be in tought. It is too bad, as he is a great guy. I remember his rookie season, he sat beside us for half the year. He finally earned a regular spot and now age becomes a factor. It is part of the WHL every year though. Time will tell.

I have to agree with 71. I know how valuable Chad was last year - especially when the injury bug hit us. Bouncing back and forth from forward to defence. I think he is a better D than F so it will probably mark his demise.
Once/if Festerling comes back we will have an awesome D once again. I'm sure the G brass will want to continue this trend, thus a Regner, Toigo, Molle will be kept to add experience for the future. If the D at pro camps were to leave next year what experience would we have? Thus we'll have D kids playing forward etc just to get experience. Here's my line - up

Lucic Kraus Repik
Lamb Bliznak Machachek
Watt Czibere Reese
Hunt Wright Bouma

Franson Mikellsen
Festerling Blum
Toigo Flatters Molle

Flatters will take the roll of Scaraff although not as good. Dulle and other Black aces will play enough to have scouts look at them as possible trade bait. Don't look for the Giants to dump Chad right away however, they can keep extra 20 yr old for a while into the season. *** An unknown here is this ...if Slade does not perform and reverts back to his past...he may be the odd man out. I hope not.

GF71
09-20-2006, 12:35 PM
Franson and Mikkelson are coming home on the 22 and will be in the line up for the home opener. :thumb:

I haven't heard anythign concrete on Festerling yet...he may not be back.

rinkrat
09-20-2006, 03:32 PM
Franson and Mikkelson are coming home on the 22 and will be in the line up for the home opener. :thumb:

I haven't heard anythign concrete on Festerling yet...he may not be back.
Great news,I was starting to wonder if Cody was coming back! :D

Squig
09-20-2006, 04:40 PM
Anaheim Ducks Assigned center Ryan Carter, left wing Trevor Gillies, right wings Shane Hynes and Pierre Parenteau, goaltender Nathan Marsters and defensemen Brian Salcido, Nathan Saunders and Clay Wilson to Portland of the American Hockey League; assigned right wing Brett Festerling and goaltender J.P. Levasseur to their junior teams.

rinkrat
09-20-2006, 05:12 PM
Anaheim Ducks Assigned center Ryan Carter, left wing Trevor Gillies, right wings Shane Hynes and Pierre Parenteau, goaltender Nathan Marsters and defensemen Brian Salcido, Nathan Saunders and Clay Wilson to Portland of the American Hockey League; assigned right wing Brett Festerling and goaltender J.P. Levasseur to their junior teams.
Too bad for BRETT,but GREAT news for the Giants!! :clap:
Thanks for posting that Squig.
here's a link
http://www.mightyducks.com/press/release/topstory.php?dir=200604&id=1423

Knuckles Muldoon
09-20-2006, 06:17 PM
here's a link
Well, from the Giants point of view, thats all about as good as it gets. I really thought Fester would be getting some serious exhibition games looks, to see if he's a top-4 in the AHL. I think Burke's alliance to Toigo and the Giants was somewhat in play here, as he's a supporter of the Giants and clearly would like to see the Giants have a strong club this year. I think Fester, with his improved strength and general smarts could play AHL this year, but I'm not arguing. The Giants D is KILLER this year!

dondo
09-20-2006, 06:46 PM
I think Scharffie is probably odd man out, but as others have said we don't need to trim our twenty year olds until mid/late Oct so I don't see him going right away.

I think Slade is still a lock, but hopefully being cut from canucks camp didn't hurt his confidence. Festerling is back and so is Lamber and as GF71 said we need Kyle's scoring so I think he's still around this season.

There are probably some small deals to made on the horizon to jiggle the line-ups. Cunningham will possibly be sent back down and even though I'm obviously biased Reese is a second-line player who won't see any second line time -- so I would suspect they would make a deal which would involve him.

Not surprised to get Festerling back in a Memorial Cup year as the Ducks are deep deep on D. I thought we might not get Cody back though so its nice to see him here.

Section_Z
09-20-2006, 06:58 PM
here's a link
I don't think it's too bad for Brett. Burke openly stated that he wanted Brendan to get his shot at the Memorial cup, why wouldn't he fell the same way about Brett. Why keep him around for exhibition games, when you can send him back here to see his WHL banner hung above his head, instead of on the internet (cause he won't be able to find the replay on any channel in Anaheim)and start the season with his team as a cohesive unit. Next year Burke is going to have 3 great Giant prospects in his camp,all with at least one memorial cup run under their Cooperalls.

rinkrat
09-20-2006, 07:01 PM
I don't think it's too bad for Brett. .

Too bad he didn't make the NHL,I meant.

rinkrat
09-20-2006, 07:03 PM
under their Cooperalls.
OK now you are showing your age...LOL
Gotta love the "CooperAll era" haha :thumb:

Section_Z
09-20-2006, 07:08 PM
Too bad he didn't make the NHL,I meant.

Copy. The likelihood of Brett breaking ito the Ducks squad this year was slim to none, though. I think it much smarter for Burke to place him back here than in Portland. Brett is our senior defenseman this year. I think learning how to lead a unit early in your career is a huge asset for making (and staying) in the NHL.

GF71
09-20-2006, 07:11 PM
Well, from the Giants point of view, thats all about as good as it gets. I really thought Fester would be getting some serious exhibition games looks, to see if he's a top-4 in the AHL. I think Burke's alliance to Toigo and the Giants was somewhat in play here, as he's a supporter of the Giants and clearly would like to see the Giants have a strong club this year. I think Fester, with his improved strength and general smarts could play AHL this year, but I'm not arguing. The Giants D is KILLER this year!

Don't be too sure about Burke's alliance with Toigo, et all. They are friends and all, but don't forget he is part owner of the BRUINS. However, i know for a fact Burke is a big fan of Don Hay and the way he teachs the game and develops young players.

I am pretty happy Brett is coming back. He should be getting the C tomorrow. I think if the Giants were not hosting the cup this year, Brett would be in the AHL. Unfortunealy this pretty much seals Chad's fate, but we will find out in a couple of weeks.

The Giants EASILY will have the best D in the WHL this year.

rinkrat
09-20-2006, 07:19 PM
hopefully the defense will generate some offense,and frankly I don't see why they wouldn't.Especially with the likes of Franson, Mikkelson and Festerling.

N.W. Bruin
09-20-2006, 07:45 PM
hopefully the defense will generate some offense,and frankly I don't see why they wouldn't.Especially with the likes of Franson, Mikkelson and Festerling.

Defence now set. Roster at 26 players. They intend to carry 23 or 24 and my money is on 24 (14 F + 8 D + 2 G). Now Chad is the one guy out the question is which goalie goes in a deal? Sexsmith or Tommy?

Knuckles Muldoon
09-20-2006, 07:47 PM
Don't be too sure about Burke's alliance with Toigo, et all. They are friends and all, but don't forget he is part owner of the BRUINS. However, i know for a fact Burke is a big fan of Don Hay and the way he teachs the game and develops young players.

I think that Toigo's powers of persuasion unltimately helped the Porter/Burke group immensely. He understood their plight in Tri-Cities and could testify that they were a perenial money-loser. He did them (and himself) a big favor by helping smooth the situation out and helping them land in Chilliwack. And since the Bruins won't be competitive this year...
"...here, you can have Festerling back".

Kassian
09-20-2006, 07:51 PM
Now Chad is the one guy out the question is which goalie goes in a deal? Sexsmith or Tommy?

It has to be Sexsmith, IMO. He will have the most value at this point and I can't see him being satisfied as a back up for another year.

langdak
09-20-2006, 07:57 PM
It has to be Sexsmith, IMO. He will have the most value at this point and I can't see him being satisfied as a back up for another year.

I agree 100%

and personally, I like TNT better anyways

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
09-20-2006, 08:23 PM
Well, by the look of it, scharff will probably be the odd man out.

I think he could end up in moose jaw. MJ needs another overager, and you guys have one available. Perhaps the giants see something of value in MJ that would interest them. See any possibility of this happening, or just me being retarded? :spineyes:

N.W. Bruin
09-20-2006, 08:34 PM
Well, by the look of it, scharff will probably be the odd man out.

I think he could end up in moose jaw. MJ needs another overager, and you guys have one available. Perhaps the giants see something of value in MJ that would interest them. See any possibility of this happening, or just me being retarded? :spineyes:

One usually doesn't get any players for overagers no matter how good they are because usually they are just dependable otherwise they would be playing pro.

GF71
09-20-2006, 09:35 PM

I totally agree...this is Tyson's draft year too. He will want to be playing as much as possible.

Section_Z
09-20-2006, 09:55 PM
Defence now set. Roster at 26 players. They intend to carry 23 or 24 and my money is on 24 (14 F + 8 D + 2 G). Now Chad is the one guy out the question is which goalie goes in a deal? Sexsmith or Tommy?
I agree with Blum being more of a factor as far as Offensive D goes. And the fact that Festerling is a Rock behind our own blue line makes the Captaincy choice just that easy.
As far as the roster being down to 26 already with still 3 days to go 'til gameday,( a predetermined overager trade taking us down to 25), I don't recall the Giants ever having their team even close to this downsized and streamlined at any point in our history...Am I wrong?

Beaner
09-20-2006, 11:42 PM
Well that is just great news for the Giants. Have to beconsidered the best D in the WHL if not the CHL with Festerling, Franson, Mikkelson and Blum anchoring the D.

Hate to say it but Scharff is looking like the odd man out. :(