Brady Calla
Zach Hamill
Peter Mueller
Jason Fransoo

Tipped Off
09-20-2006, 11:53 AM
Thoring Named Silvertips Team Captain
09/19/06 - Western Hockey League (WHL) Everett Silvertips
Everett Silvertips defenseman Cody Thoring was named team captain for the upcoming 2006-2007 season. The Swift Current, SK native becomes the 4th captain in franchise history. Entering into his 4th season in the WHL, all with the Silvertips, Thoring has played in 163 career games in the WHL. Thoring is also ranked 3rd in franchise history in games played with 163. Cody is the only player remaining from the 2003-2004 Silvertips squad and was drafted by the Silvertips in the 2003 WHL Expansion Draft from the Tri-City Americans.

"It is a huge honor to be named team captain for this great franchise," mentions Thoring. "It is also great to have the respect of my teammates and hopefully I can be a positive leader on and off the ice for them."

The Silvertips have also named their Assistant Captains for the 2006-2007 season. Defenseman Jason Fransoo and forwards Zach Hamill, Brady Calla and Peter Mueller will wear the "A" on the jerseys this season as Assistant Captains. Zach Hamill and Brady Calla are entering into their 3rd season with the Silvertips while Jason Fransoo and Peter Mueller and heading into their 2nd WHL season with Everett.

The Silvertips will begin their 4th WHL season on the road in Chilliwack, BC on Saturday, September 23 against the new WHL expansion team, Chilliwack Bruins. Everett will hold their home opening weekend on Friday, September 29 and Saturday, September 30 at the Everett Events Center. On September 29, the Silvertips will battle the Kelowna Rockets at 7:35 p.m. in a rematch of last seasons' 2nd Round playoff series. On Saturday, September 30, the Kamloops Blazers make a trip to the E.E.C. for the first of four regular season meetings. Game time is set for 7:05 p.m.

For individual tickets for the Silvertips home opening weekend, log onto www.everettsilvertips.com or call the Everett Events Center Box Office at 1-866-332-8499.

Tipped Off
09-21-2006, 12:19 PM
Thoring a natural choice for Silvertips captain

By Nick Patterson
Herald Writer

EVERETT - There's been a distinct pattern to the players who served as captain of the Everett Silvertips.

So when Cody Thoring was named the team's captain Tuesday, it was no surprise. He fits the description to a T.

Everett's previous captains - Bryan Nathe, Mitch Love and Torrie Wheat - were all overagers who had earned the respect of the team. And with the exception of Nathe, who was captain in the expansion season, they all served as an alternate captain as 19-year-olds.

Thoring, a 20-year-old defenseman who is the only returning alternate captain from last season, was therefore the natural choice.

"It feels good," Thoring said Wednesday. "It's a great honor to be the captain. After the last three guys who have done it, it's a big honor."

Thoring was selected in a vote by the team's players.

"It's the guy we thought would be captain," Everett coach Kevin Constantine said. "The players vote and we've always giggled that the players vote and the coaches count. But we've never done anything but go with what the players want. They've always in our opinion made the right choice, and we think they made the right choice again."

Thoring is the last remaining member of Everett's inaugural team. The 5-foot-11, 196-pound native of Swift Current, Saskatchewan, is third all-time in games played for Everett with 163. Last season he had no goals and 15 assists in 58 games.

"It's not just that Cody's been here three years and been around the longest," Constantine said. "That's a factor, but I think minor. Your captain has to lead by example and he's right at the top of the pack for that. He's got to care and be passionate about everything going on and Cody's certainly that. He's got to have the ability to communicate and Cody's got good communication skills."

Added defenseman Jonathan Harty, one of Everett's five alternate captains: "I think he'll be a great captain. He's got great leadership, he's very fair, he commands respect and everyone gives it to him. He's by far the best leader on the team."

Despite being named captain, Thoring doesn't envision his role being much different from how he conducted himself prior to being named captain.

"Not a whole lot changes," Thoring said. "I've got to be a leader. The captain's still a leader. I'm just going to help on and off the ice as much as I can and be there for any of the guys that need me."

In addition to the 18-year-old Harty, also named alternate captains were 20-year-old defenseman Jason Fransoo and 18-year-old forwards Peter Mueller, Zach Hamill and Brady Calla. The six total captains are the most Everett's ever had in one season.

"There were so many close votes among the others that we're going to kind of platoon that," Constantine said. "We'll go maybe five-game segments of certain guys wearing an A. Usually it's a captain and two or three alternates, but we're fine with what we've got. We've got a good core of guys who I think are really in tune with what it's going to take to lead this team."

Irving returns: Everett received the good news that No. 1 goaltender Leland Irving is returning to the team.

Irving was reassigned to Everett by the Calgary Flames on Wednesday. He was scheduled to arrive back in Everett on Wednesday night and participate in practice today.

With Irving back, the Silvertips reassigned 17-year-old goaltender Shayne Barrie to Regina of the Saskatchewan Midget AAA Hockey League. That means Everett will start the season with the same two goaltenders it had last year, Irving and 17-year-old Matt Esposito.

Irving is a critical component to this season's team. The 18-year-old from Swan Hills, Alberta, was a second-team Western Conference All-Star last season, going 37-22-1-3 with a 1.91 goals against average and .925 save percentage.

Irving was selected 26th overall by Calgary in this year's NHL draft and was attending the Flames' training camp.

With Irving back, the only Silvertip remaining at an NHL camp is center Peter Mueller, who's still in Phoenix.

Slap shots: The Silvertips are a popular pick for success this season. The Hockey News rated Everett the No. 1 team in the entire Canadian Hockey League, which encompasses the WHL, Ontario Hockey League and Quebec Major Junior Hockey League. The Tips ranked second to Vancouver in the Western Major Junior Hockey Writers Association preseason poll, earning five of the 16 first-place votes. ... Season ticket holders can now pick up their ticket packages at the Silvertips office.