PDA

View Full Version : Kohn Article

SeventhHeaven4U
09-19-2006, 11:11 PM
http://www.newyorkislanders.com/pressbox/archive.asp?id=1029

(Yarmouth, Nova Scotia) Dustin Kohn was drafted in the second round of the 2005 NHL Entry draft, and for good reason. With his Calgary Hitmen of the WHL, Kohn finished fourth on the team in scoring and first among defensemen during the 2004-05 season.

Don't be fooled by Kohn's drop in offensive production between his 2004-05 season and 2005-06 season. Once drafted by the Islanders, Kohn focused more on his defensive play and contributed less on the offensive side. His impressive play during his 2005-06 season with Brandon of the WHL led Team Canada to invite Kohn to their World Junior Development Camp in Calgary where Kohn's team won the three scrimmages in which they participated. Kohn awaits final cuts for the 2007 World Junior Championship.

Kohn, now 20, has the speed and skill to become an NHLer in the future, but team management would like to see Kohn improve defensively. If Kohn can maintain his ability to skate well and move the puck effectively along with becoming more responsible on the defensive side, he could be exciting the Coliseum crowd in the years to come.

On his 2006 Development Camp experience:
"Development camp was good to get on the ice with all the guys I haven't seen for a while. This year coming for the second time it's a little easier to ease into things. I know a lot of the guys already, so I'm a little more comfortable."

On his game:
"I was pleased with my season last year in Brandon. I put on a little weight and I'm looking forward to improving my game and making some more strides this season. I need to get bigger and stronger. I'm working on my shot, but also trying to play a more defensive game. The game is about skating and quickness, so I still have to focus on that as well."

On his relationship with the Islanders:
"My relationship with the Islanders has been very good. I got to go up to Bridgeport at the end of last season and was able to see their run through the playoffs. I've kept in touch with a lot of the guys from up there including the staff."

On Ted Nolan and Bryan Trottier:
"It's awesome to work with Bryan Trottier. He was such a good player; a legend. Ted Nolan has had success in the NHL. I keep hearing such great things about him. It's exciting to get to meet them and work with them."

On his 2006 summer:
Hockey wise I was very busy. I was out on Long Islander for the prospect camp and in Calgary for the World Junior Camp. I was on opposite teams as Ryan O'Marra. It was a lot of fun to see the guys I've met over the last couple of years there. Guys I haven't seen elsewhere. My team won all three games. I honestly don't know if that has ever happened before. I don't think the coaches were too pleased with the other teams. So that was good. I beat up O'Marra a bit."

On the 2006 Islanders Training Camp:
"You have to go into camp with the idea of making the team. At least you put your best case forward as to why you should make the team. And then get some input from the coaches and go from there. Camp has been good so far. Last year's camp and summer development camp made me more prepared for this camp.

On Yarmouth, Nova Scotia:
"Yarmouth is a good hockey town. They're obviously very passionate about their hockey. You see the signs up all over the city. The support from the fans here is really good."

The Kohn File:

Favorite Superpower: Flying
Green day or Eminem? Green day
Favorite non-North American City: Anywhere in Sweden
Jet skiing or snowmobiling? Jet skiing
Alternate Career: Golfing
Family Guy or Simpsons: Family Guy
Favorite former Islander: Wade Redden
Superman or Batman? Batman
The actor who would play you in a movie: Paul Walker
Ashlee or Jessica Simpson: Jessica Simpson
Coke or Pepsi? Coke
Favorite sport other than hockey: Golf
If you could have dinner with two people who would they be? Bobby Orr and Tiger Woods
If you could be part of one moment in history what would it be? Any Stanley Cup winning team

Defense
Born Feb 2 1987 -- Edmonton, Alberta
Height 6'1"
Weight 182
Shoots Left
Selected by New York Islanders round 2 #46 overall 2005 NHL Entry Draft

Regular Season Playoffs
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM
2003-04 Calgary Hitmen WHL 52 3 6 9 13 7 0 1 1 2
2004-05 Calgary Hitmen WHL 71 8 35 43 61 12 0 4 4 6
2005-06 Calgary Hitmen WHL 38 2 12 14 20 -- -- -- -- --
2005-06 Brandon Wheat Kings WHL 31 2 13 15 30 6 0 4 4 10
2005-06 Bridgeport Sound Tigers AHL 2 0 0 0 0 -- -- -- -- --

Triton
09-20-2006, 12:12 AM
Thanks for sharing that.I really hope he returns.He'll be a big piece of the blueline this season.He'll help out the special teams 100% from last season.

Triton
09-24-2006, 04:28 PM
Kohn is on his way back to Brandon.

That PP will be awesome.Helps out on defense alot.