PDA

View Full Version : Cole named Blades captain

GOBLADESGO#3 (among other aliases)
09-20-2006, 07:45 PM
just a couple of minutes ago the Blades announced that Brad Cole is the captain, Mcrae and Gilleis get the A`s, thoughts on this?

fightstrap50
09-20-2006, 08:05 PM
right on congrats to Brad from all us ICE fans too.

way to go Brad

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
09-20-2006, 09:42 PM
Very strange decisions by the blades, but whatever floats their boat.

Im surprised Mcrae wasnt made captain this year. Despite his age, he would be one of the offensive leaders this year. If anything I thought schultz would have become captain before Cole, but that is their decision.

But what I dont get is why is gillies, the sophomore 17 year old with 6 points in the WHL an alternate captain already? Gillies doesnt really strike me as the leaderly type. Making Gillies an A makes as much sense as naming the pats rookie defencemen, Colten Teubert an A on our team, and he is only 16, despite how well he has played.

Why not Menei instead?(well, if he makes the team) He always struck me as a good player on the ice, and I can understand why he could be considered an odd man out. Maybe he is just a pat killer, but he should have got a letter over gillies, or cole.

Trav
09-20-2006, 10:20 PM
Brad's been great here and deserves the "C" not that Justin didnt. Colton doesnt deserve a letter now. I'd have gone with Schulz or Logan whichever one of those two guys stays if not both of them.

nivek_wahs
09-21-2006, 12:54 AM
Very strange decisions by the blades, but whatever floats their boat.

Im surprised Mcrae wasnt made captain this year. Despite his age, he would be one of the offensive leaders this year. If anything I thought schultz would have become captain before Cole, but that is their decision.In my opinion, it's not a strange decision. As fans we don't know what these guys are like in the dressing room or how they are with the coaches. Just because you are one of the teams offensive leaders doesn't automatically give you the right to be captain, remember Curtis Austring was Pats captain and he was far from an offensive minded player, he was a leader (until his departure).

But what I dont get is why is gillies, the sophomore 17 year old with 6 points in the WHL an alternate captain already? Gillies doesnt really strike me as the leaderly type. Making Gillies an A makes as much sense as naming the pats rookie defencemen, Colten Teubert an A on our team, and he is only 16, despite how well he has played.Just because Gillies is only 17, doesn't mean he's not a leader. The Pats named Barret Jackman captain at 17, so really what's the big deal? You want your letters to be LEADERS... some guys just aren't leaders.

Why not Menei instead?(well, if he makes the team) He always struck me as a good player on the ice, and I can understand why he could be considered an odd man out. Maybe he is just a pat killer, but he should have got a letter over gillies, or cole.Just because you turn 20 doesn't automatically give you the right to be a captain or alternate. Molleken made a good choice, I think he knows what he is doing... after all he is the head coach and GM.

nivek_wahs
09-21-2006, 01:01 AM
Brad's been great here and deserves the "C" not that Justin didnt. Colton doesnt deserve a letter now. I'd have gone with Schulz or Logan whichever one of those two guys stays if not both of them.My question to you is... What makes you deserve to have a letter?

There have been guys that get a letter and it gives them added pressure and it ruins their game. The guys that wear the letters need to be able to communicate with their coaches, players and officials, some guys just can't do that. They need to be leaders on and off the ice.

Maybe Molleken didn't give an alternate to Schulz or Logan until he decides on his OA situation... As he only gave out 2 A's... That leaves room for one more. The season hasn't started yet, let the players work for it.

defencerocks
09-21-2006, 01:36 AM
Cole as the captain obviously takes one of the 20's. So who gets the other two spots? Schulz should be one and the other will be? Then again, I have been wrong before.

neutral
09-21-2006, 07:21 AM
The trade that brought Cole to Saskatoon and sent Flatt to Kootenay is a good example of a trade that worked for both players and both teams. Hopefully I remembered the right name sent to Kootenay. Call it a win, win, win, win. Congratulations to Brad.

wango tango
09-21-2006, 09:21 AM
cole was wearing the 'c' the last couple of preseason games. he is the most respected guy, by the other players, in the room. a lot of light shed on this in today's paper.

mccrae brings the kind of effort you want to see from young players every night. he will play in all situations and be a leader on and off the ice.

gillies was the captain of team pacific, the assistant captain of canada's u-17 world championship team, and it sounds like he has matured a lot over the last year.

three excellent choices. leadership will not be an issue with the team.

Blades 4 Life!
09-21-2006, 10:14 AM
Ya I think it was agreat desision by the Blades. In my mind it think that Cole has the more experience out of all the Blades and he has the most leadership. A Captain should bring a team up with the team is down and stand up for the team, If he needs to fight for a bad hit on one of the blades i think that he is the most deserved for the C

howley
09-21-2006, 10:58 AM
Last year there was a stretch of about 10 games where the Blades were just not producing at all and Molleken took all the letters off of everyone. During that time the only person who had a letter beside their name on the score sheet was Brad Cole so I am not surprised at all by the decision. I was actually going to post that I thought Cole would take the C...I would of looked like a genius...but no one beleives me now. Over all I think they are very good choices by the coaching staff.

GOBLADESGO#3 (among other aliases)
09-22-2006, 08:29 AM
haha no kidding you would of looked like a genious, me and some people were trynig and trying to figure out who would wear the C and to be honest this really shoked me, i was expecting someone like Mcrae, or Menei to wear it, the A`s that were givin dont suprise me though, they would have been my choice as well.

Tidball
10-04-2006, 04:17 PM
I say give a letter to Holtby. He will be the most valuable Blade this season.