PDA

View Full Version : WHL Web TV

Tiger Trauma
09-22-2006, 04:36 PM
Just wondering if anybody has viewed the "new" whl web tv. If the quality is like last years i probably won't be buying it. What is the quality like this year compared to last year?

Coyote14
09-22-2006, 05:34 PM
From what I watched of last night's archived game in Chilliwack, the quality appears to be a bit better. You can actually see the puck moving along the ice now. Keep in mind though that shaw cameras were used there last night and quality is different in every rink with the lighting arrangements.

I'd say it's not quite worth buying from a quality point of view, but definitely worth it if you're just in it to watch a heck of a lot of hockey.

Tiger Trauma
10-04-2006, 03:04 AM
I tried to view the archive of the game between MH and P.A, but there was some kind of outdoor kayaking show :( ..whats the deal with that?

rinkrat
10-15-2006, 10:04 AM
I'm starting to get really frustrated with INSINC and their poor broadcasts.It is completetly unreliable.Again last night the video feed from Seattle was pathetiic.The screen was covered in blue/pink vertical waves.(I was starting to question the mushrooms on my pizza!)
Of the four games I have purchased,three were a disaster.I was refunded each time by Kathy at 1-888-922-6722,who I might add,was quite pleasant and helpfull.
They really should have a more consistant product before a league endorses it and puts it up for sale.I'd like to know what the problem is,this is not something new as it was happening last year.Get it fixed or drop the "service".
:spineyes:

Five Hole
10-15-2006, 11:14 AM
I'd agree, the quality is very inconsistent and mostly depends on the venue the game is coming from. I mostly watch Raider games and the ones from PA aren't too bad most times. But, it sure isn't like watching an actual televised game. The picture is usually pretty grainy, especially if set on double size or full screen. And, it seems to freeze for several seconds in a lot of cases. However, it sure beats listening to a game on the radio... I figure some visual is better than none at all!
Best of all, if you don't live where you can watch in person, it's a great service to have and to me the price is reasonable. Hopefully, they can address the quality and the inconsistency.... or I may have to try that refund option sometimes!

peatfan
10-15-2006, 11:35 AM
The quality of the picture isn't too bad, when you can get it. The picture keeps freezing and at times it's like watching a slide show, frame by frame. Really frustrating to watch any kind of flow to the game, especially during a fight. And the audio keeps cutting off. If you try to listen to the radio and just watch the gmae you find that the video is about 15 seconds behind the radio so that gets confusing. I never saw it last year so I can't comment on how it is better but people who have said that this year is much better. If this is trus than last year must have been a real sh**y experience. I got the season package this year and am not planning on getting it next year, unless it improves a lot.

Big Daddy
10-15-2006, 08:09 PM
I'm starting to get really frustrated with INSINC and their poor broadcasts.It is completetly unreliable.Again last night the video feed from Seattle was pathetiic.The screen was covered in blue/pink vertical waves.(I was starting to question the mushrooms on my pizza!)
Of the four games I have purchased,three were a disaster.I was refunded each time by Kathy at 1-888-922-6722,who I might add,was quite pleasant and helpfull.
They really should have a more consistant product before a league endorses it and puts it up for sale.I'd like to know what the problem is,this is not something new as it was happening last year.Get it fixed or drop the "service".
:spineyes:

Hey rinkrat, it is a venue problem at Seattle. I email back and forth with Insinc and they are aware of the problem at Seattle. Insinc does seem to be reponsive and I have received credits for all complaints. Now, if they can only get the PG guys fired i'd be satisfied.
This year is better than last year. I have noticed different camera angles and generally better overall performance by the camera operators.
My suggestion is to get the fastest interner provider in your area. Cable works best for me as I get 4 meg vs 1 meg with DSL. DSL is limited and performance varies with how far you are from your telco central station. Sometimes wireless routers will further slow the stream so disconnect and hardwire to see if that helps. Firewalls can also slow the stream so disable the systems firewall and any other anti-virus firewall you may have.

rinkrat
10-15-2006, 08:34 PM
Hey rinkrat, it is a venue problem at Seattle. I email back and forth with Insinc and they are aware of the problem at Seattle. Insinc does seem to be reponsive and I have received credits for all complaints. Now, if they can only get the PG guys fired i'd be satisfied.
This year is better than last year. I have noticed different camera angles and generally better overall performance by the camera operators.
My suggestion is to get the fastest interner provider in your area. Cable works best for me as I get 4 meg vs 1 meg with DSL. DSL is limited and performance varies with how far you are from your telco central station. Sometimes wireless routers will further slow the stream so disconnect and hardwire to see if that helps. Firewalls can also slow the stream so disable the systems firewall and any other anti-virus firewall you may have.

Thanks for the advice,however the times I have problems are the same times all the other fans have problems.Example;last night.Insinc admits the problem is on their end. ;)

Big Daddy
10-15-2006, 08:41 PM
No worries, I was hitting on your post and some of the earlier posters that were having buffering problems.

Tiger Trauma
10-21-2006, 12:11 AM
Did anybody have troubles watching the portland vs tigers broadcast?. It was pretty much watching a slideshow. Very irratating

Soundy
10-21-2006, 10:40 AM
I haven't watched one of these yet, but I have a good idea what everyone's talking about with the grainy quality, "slideshow" effect and such. A faster internet connection on YOUR end might help a LITTLE, but even 1Mbps DSL is likely far faster than whatever bottleneck is holding things up, and from the sound of it, they're using video streams of probably less than 200kbps (or 0.2Mbps).

Normally something like this would be done by feeding the camera video into a computer AT the venue, encoding the stream there, and then sending that stream over whatever internet connection is available at the arena out to the main provider's (INSINC's) streaming server(s).

The most likely cause of the problems is simply poor upstream speed on the venue's internet connection, especially if THEY have a simple DSL feed, which often has lower upstream speeds. Some cable companies also limit their upstream speeds to as low as 128kbps (unless the user pays for a much more expensive package, which may not be a ready option on a junior team's budget) which would severely limit the quality of video used.

If they're using existing computers at the venues to do the encoding, some may also simply not have machines powerful enough to generate a steady, high-quality video stream.

While poor venue lighting does make for bad pictures, though, it has no effect either way on the issues described here.

Coyote14
10-21-2006, 01:41 PM
Did anybody have troubles watching the portland vs tigers broadcast?. It was pretty much watching a slideshow. Very irratatingIt was like that on the whole network I think. I had the same problems with the Chilliwack @ Kelowna game. It's frustrating sometimes when you can't watch the game that you want to watch. The league need to get it together.