PDA

View Full Version : Rowat miffed by injury

patsdude114
09-26-2006, 01:03 PM
Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Tuesday, September 26, 2006
Linden Rowat's brief flirtation as the Regina Pats' No. 1 goalie must seem like a cruel tease.

The 17-year-old netminder should have been on Cloud 9 Friday night after he backstopped the Pats to a 5-2 season-opening win over the host Swift Current Broncos.

Instead, the excitement of his 20-save effort was tempered by a minor knee injury which forced him to labour through the final minutes of the third period.

Rowat, who is expected to miss 7-10 days, didn't tell anyone he was hurt until after the buzzer sounded.

"As soon as the game ended I went and talked to (trainer) Greg (Mayer) and told him I felt something give out in my knee," explained Rowat, who didn't dress the next night for Regina's first home game of the campaign -- a 2-1 loss to the Saskatoon Blades.

"I got a win under my belt in the first game and I thought maybe I could start the home opener and get to play a couple games (in a row) but I came down with an injury right away. It was pretty disappointing. I just want to get it rehabbed and get back on the ice as soon as possible."

The injury occurred late in the third period when Rowat did the splits to make a save and felt a pull in his right knee, stretching the MCL. Rowat is slated to undergo further tests on Wednesday, at which time it will be determined how soon he can resume skating.

"It's not too bad," he said of the pain. "It's just a little sore but, because I'm a goalie, that's the ligament I use when I go down in my butterfly. I'm feeling a lot better every day. I think in the next couple days I'll be able to try to get back on the ice."

Rowat was expected to begin this season in a tandem role with veteran David Reekie, who was Regina's full-time starter last season. The youngster played 26 games as an understudy in 2005-06, although he did miss some time late in the campaign due to a broken finger.

"That was the first time I ever had an injury," he said. "I missed the last part of the season, came back and played one game (this season) and hurt myself again.

"I'm pretty much a Band-Aid right now. Hopefully I can get healed up."

Rowat was hoping the black cloud had lifted after he got the call on opening night -- a huge honour for a young goalie. The second-year WHLer earned the assignment after a solid preseason which concluded with his 38-save effort in a 4-3 overtime win versus the Brandon Wheat Kings.

"My confidence is pretty high," he said. "The coaches gave (the first start) to me, I played good and I wanted to keep that ball rolling. Then I came down with this. Right now I'm just trying to get back on the ice as quickly as possible so I can regain my status."

Rowat's timing may be poor, but the Pats are confident they can forge ahead without him.

Reekie is slated to get his second straight start on Wednesday night against the visiting Calgary Hitmen while rookie Jeff Bosch, 16, is expected to be called up from the midget AAA ranks to serve as the backup.

"Injuries are part of the game," noted Pats head coach Curtis Hunt. "You know what? We've got a guy (Reekie) who won 30 games last year ready to step in. We'll reassess everything when (Rowat) is back on the ice. Until then we've got to get David feeling good about his game and we'll carry on."

patsdude114
09-26-2006, 01:05 PM
"Injuries are part of the game," noted Pats head coach Curtis Hunt. "You know what? We've got a guy (Reekie) who won 30 games last year ready to step in. We'll reassess everything when (Rowat) is back on the ice. Until then we've got to get David feeling good about his game and we'll carry on."

from what Hunt said there kinda makes a person believe that the starting role is Rowat's to loose or to grab by the horns and excel

patsfan33
09-26-2006, 02:04 PM
^ i picked up on that too....ha...and i'm ALL for it...

heal up soon rowsie!

Bran
09-26-2006, 03:27 PM
There was always the chance for Rowat to pull ahead and become starter. Anyone who's seen both Reekie and Rowat play could probably figure that out. He's just as good as Reekie with probably more potential (and I say that based mainly on his age and the time he has left to develop). I don't think there will be a clear cut starter this year, but that's just as well. I kinda picked up on what Hunt said, too but I don't think he meant much by it.

nivek_wahs
09-27-2006, 01:13 AM
"Injuries are part of the game," noted Pats head coach Curtis Hunt. "You know what? We've got a guy (Reekie) who won 30 games last year ready to step in. We'll reassess everything when (Rowat) is back on the ice. Until then we've got to get David feeling good about his game and we'll carry on."To be completely honest, I think Rowat "won" the job in training camp and pre-season. Reekie looked average at best on many occasions, and looked to be easily rattled. Rowat looked calm, cool and collected in every appearance. I think in training camp Bosch was just as good as Reekie.

If the rumours are/were true that the Pats are/were "shopping around" Reekie, then I think that the Pats are almost prepared to go with the Rowat/Bosch combination in net.

But with that being said... having 2 decently capable goalies (Rowat and Reekie) gives the Pats the opportunity that if one falters they can easily switch back and forth.

But I guess that's why I am just an armchair GM :laugh: