PDA

View Full Version : Eric Brewer wants to keep Cats IN PG (and offer letter)

Sput
09-27-2006, 09:21 AM
Courtesy of: http://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/

Wednesday, September 27, 2006
Brewer’s intent to keep Cats in P.G.
by JIM SWANSON, Citizen Sports Editor

Eric Brewer’s thoughts about the Prince George Cougars are single-minded – he wants to see his former junior team remain in this city.

The St. Louis Blues defenceman, who played for the Cats from 1995-98, said he allowed his name to be included with a purchase offer of the Western Hockey League franchise because he’d heard rumblings the team might leave the market.

“I’m pro-P.G., keeping the team there,” Brewer said Tuesday from Scott Air Force Base in Illinois, just outside St. Louis, where Blues players were taking part in a pre-season team-building camp.

“I’d heard the talk, the dialogue, that there were thoughts the team might leave. My interest is in seeing the team stay there because it was a great place to play my junior hockey, a great hockey environment, as it was for a lot of guys.

“If adding my name helps raise awareness, I’m pleased with that. For me, Prince George was such a positive place to be, and all the players liked it. I can only follow so much of what goes on there, but I get some information through my old billets and my in-laws. I hear that the team hasn’t played well recently for whatever reason. The way people are, they’ll get mad and stay mad for whatever reason, too.”

Brewer said he was contacted by Rick Turgeon and Darcy Buryn, the architects of the bid to purchase the team from owner Rick Brodsky. Brewer, whose wife Rebecca is from Prince George (nee Flann), said he had some common acquaintances with Turgeon and Buryn. Brewer said they discussed this project “a number of times, but I don’t know them well.”

Other NHL players mentioned in a letter (see box) sent by Turgeon and Buryn to league governors are Dan Hamhuis, the ex-Cougars all-star, and Edmonton Oilers captain Jason Smith, Brewer’s good friend from their time together in the Alberta capital. Hamhuis has not returned calls seeking comment.

“I certainly have no ill will toward the Brodsky family, not at all, they treated me well, and I want to be clear on that,” said Brewer, a Kamloops product who now makes his off-season home in Vancouver.

Brewer said he does not keep in contact with the Brodskys, or for that matter with many of his old Cougars teammates.

“I talk to Zdeno Chara more than anyone else I played with there, we see each other throughout the season,” said Brewer, who didn’t visit his old junior stomping grounds over the summer.

“Some of us talked a lot for the first couple of years, but now we’re all over the map and our lives and careers have gone in different directions. There’s no alumni program with the Cougars, and for whatever reason that hasn’t happened or hasn’t been pursued. I know Kamloops has a very active alumni program... but there is a reality with the geography that I’m sure is a big part of the reason.”

Brewer said he is only remotely aware that some of the Cougars top recent draft choices, such as Tyler Swystun and Stefan Elliott, have balked at playing in Prince George. Although he doesn’t know the specifics, he’s surprised at how things have changed.

“I don’t know the kids and their families, but I know that Prince George was very good to me — the organization, the fans, the city,” said Brewer, 27.

“That would surprise me. I mean, if you want to play junior hockey and look at trying to make it to the NHL, at some point you have to leave home, and going to a place like Prince George isn’t really that far away, eight hours from Vancouver and close to Alberta.”

As for Brewer, he is fully recovered from a dislocated shoulder that cost him the final 40 games last season and forced surgery, and is ready to help a St. Louis team that was among the NHL’s worst last winter. Brewer, who has 436 NHL games under his belt, signed a one-year, $2-million contract with St. Louis and will become an unrestricted free agent if the Blues can’t get him to sign a new deal before next summer.

“I don’t know how to look at all that because I’ve never been in this spot before,” said Brewer, who has represented Canada at the world juniors, world championship and Olympics.

“Last year was a total write-off so they never really got a chance to see how I fit in. It’s not like my bags are packed or anything, I like St. Louis, it’s a great sports town, a laid-back place to live. Last year wasn’t good for hockey here, wasn’t good with injuries, but we’ll have a surprisingly good team this year. There’ll be a huge difference.”

Three NHL players named in letter sent to governors

The complete text, unedited, of a letter obtained by The Citizen that was sent by a local group to Western Hockey League commissioner Ron Robison and all 21 league governors on Sept. 14, including Prince George Cougars owner Rick Brodsky.

———

Dear (WHL governors),

Rumours have been running rampant that WHL hockey may be in jeopardy in Prince George and we believe that the current Prince George WHL franchise holder has been laying the groundwork with the WHL Governors that the hockey fans of Prince George will not support the WHL. The once legendary Prince George Cougar fans have in large part made a decision to stay away from the newly named CN Centre. The reasons are open to conjecture, however it is our strong opinion that with committed, local ownership the hockey fans of Prince George will support WHL hockey in Prince George. Our aim is to be prepared, if the opportunity presents, or can be created, to spearhead local ownership in a WHL franchise for Prince George.

The current franchise ownership has informed us that the franchise is not for sale. We would consider a partnership or joint venture with the current franchise ownership or if the team was allowed to relocate we would apply for an expansion team in Prince George. Prince George is a great place for a WHL team. Prince George has 80,000 people, an expanding economy, a University, a College and a 6,000 seat arena. The Prince George WHL franchise and league enjoys great media coverage.

The purpose for us writing you is to let you know there is an alternative in Prince George – one with local ownership and money, hockey experience and a willingness to work for the support of the local hockey fans. The group includes former Cougar stars Eric Brewer and Dan Hamhuis as well as WHL alumnus Jason Smith.

One of the criticisms we hear about Prince George as a WHL city is the perception that travel for the visiting teams is harsh. This perception can be easily dealt with as Prince George is the only WHL city that has double headers. We recently talked with Jim Playfair, Calgary Flames Coach, and he likes the double headers that are now part of the NHL. He said it adds playoff intensity to the second game and it is easy on the equipment managers and trainers to be able to leave the gear and supplies in the arena for the next road game. Jason Smith, Edmonton Oilers’ Captain, says the players benefit from being able to have a leisurely post game meal and going to the hotel for a good night’s sleep rather than traveling through the night. The local ownership group would also consider a travel subsidy for visiting teams.

We would like to thank you for taking the time to consider us as an alternative. We wish you all the best in the upcoming season.

Yours truly,

Rick Turgeon, BBA, CA, CFP, and

Darcy Buryn, BComm, CA

Barclay
09-27-2006, 08:45 PM
Brodsky is going to take this team to Grande Prairie.

3rebels
09-27-2006, 09:30 PM
I for one , do not believe the Cougars should move to GP. Maybe a new franchise, BUT not an existing franchise. If the owner wants to move the team, he should have to sell the team and apply for a new franchise in the new area he wants to inhabit. Look at Chilliwack. Could have been the Chilliwack Americans if the WHL had of allowed Tri-Citie's owners to re-locate the franchise. The Governors allowed it to happen to Edmonton, Tacoma, Billings and originally Victoria. It should not be allowed to continue. New Franchises NOT Relocation !! :thumb:

Sput
09-28-2006, 10:22 AM
Brodsky is going to take this team to Grande Prairie.

I can't see that happening now with this offer made public, and some serious backers behind it. The WHL board made it clear to the Tri-Cities owners that they had to exhaust all local ownership offers before they would OK a move. Locals were found and the Chilliwack Chiefs were brought in. PG has been a proven hockey city, put the product on the ice and the people will be there. I hope the League would give PG the same oppurtunity that Tri-Cities got.

Cougar Guy
09-28-2006, 07:49 PM
Agreed. This wasn't exactly a "chump" offer. $5.5 million, an expression that they would subsidize travel for visiting teams and the support of NHL players and WHL alumni. I'd be willing to bet that the offer could easily double if they asked for additional investors.

I don't think Brodsky will sell, but it sure puts him in an interesting situation if he tries to move . . .