PDA

View Full Version : Cougars magic number is 16

Tipped Off
02-17-2005, 06:51 PM
From the PG Citizen newspaper:

There may not be a magic formula, but there is a mathematical equation.
For the Prince George Cougars, the not-so-proud owners of a five-game losing streak, to make the Western Hockey playoffs, they must finish at least a point ahead of the Kamloops Blazers. And here's what that will take — any combination of Cougars wins and Blazers losses adding up to 16 moves the Cougars into the playoffs and sends Kamloops to early bookings at Rivershore.

Yes, sweet 16 is the not-so-magic number. The Blazers hold a four-point edge in the B.C. Division standings, and the Cougars have a game in hand. The two teams are slated to play each other three times — once in Kamloops, twice in Prince George.

The Cougars, who have 15 regular season games remaining to earn a first-round playoff appearance, open a four-game road swing tonight in Cranbrook against the WHL's top-ranked team, the Kootenay Ice.

The journey continues in Spokane on Wednesday, then rolls on to a Friday game in Everett and a Sunday stop in Seattle. After the junket comes to a close, the Cats will have 11 games remaining, eight of them on home ice, but none of them against a team you would call a lesser opponent.

In short, there is no time for this struggling hockey club, 3-13-0-0 since the trade deadline, to lock up the demons and start playing like the playoffs are already here.

"I think confidence is a big problem right now, but we talked in the room (after Saturday's 4-3 loss to Kelowna) and there's no room to be scared out there," said Cougars captain Myles Zimmer.

"We have nothing to lose. We have 15 games left, we're alone in last place, and we have to put it all on the line here for the last 15 games. I don't think there's any reason for caution, and we have to go play hard, play smart, and see what happens."

By the way, a tie for the final playoff spot would trigger a one-game playoff game, hosted by the team with the most wins.

Jovorock
02-18-2005, 07:32 AM
Geez it magic number time already, it will be interesting if the Cougs can catch the Blazers or not?

Spungy
02-18-2005, 09:59 AM
i hope they have a great end of the regular season... if they could catch fourth place and we keep first, would be a great first round of playoffs. Tons of passion between the two teams!

Chipper
02-18-2005, 10:40 AM
It's not going to be easy for the Cougs to beat out Kamloops, They will have to play better than 500 hockey and need the blazers to fall apart It looks to me that the Blazers are playing better and P.G. has been slipping. could be desided the last game of the year. There magic number is a long way away from being a realistic goal yet.

Jovorock
02-18-2005, 03:03 PM
i hope they have a great end of the regular season... if they could catch fourth place and we keep first, would be a great first round of playoffs. Tons of passion between the two teams!
If the Cougs can catch the Blazers then they would play Kelowna. ;) :clap:

Sput
02-18-2005, 03:21 PM
I'd be happy if the team would come out and play hard every night, win or lose, and just be consistant. If every player would play to his abilities, they would win. Amazing how that happens. To often these guys are to worried about their girlfreinds/parties/homelife/whatever to have their heads in the game all the time. I don't know how or who is to change that. Maybe it comes from being in a smaller town and the team itself is pretty close. If its possible, maybe they spend to much time together. Either way, Rockets or Ice, if this team finds out how to win, maybe they will get used to it and actually make some noise in the playoffs, and will give either team a hard earned series