View Full Version : Report: Owens attempts suicide

WHEATMAN
09-27-2006, 09:32 AM
Report: Owens attempts suicide
Terrell Owens

from www.tsn.ca

Associated Press

9/27/2006 10:37:10 AM

DALLAS (AP) - Flamboyant Dallas Cowboys receiver Terrell Owens tried to kill himself by overdosing on pain medication, police said, even putting two more pills into his mouth after a friend intervened.

A Dallas police report released Wednesday morning said Owens told his friend "that he was depressed." Details of the report were first released by WFAA-TV.

The Dallas Police Department made an official statement later on Wednesday and would not confirm or deny the earlier report.

The friend, who is not identified in the report, "noticed that (his) prescription pain medication was empty and observed (Owens) putting two pills in his mouth," the police report said.

The friend attempted to pry them out with her fingers, then was told by Owens that before this incident he'd taken only five of the 40 pain pills in the bottle he'd emptied. Owens was asked by rescue workers "if he was attempting to harm himself, at which time (he) stated, 'Yes."'

Owens was hospitalized late Tuesday because of what his publicist said was an allergic reaction to pain medicine he was taking for a broken hand. Doctors reportedly tried to induce vomiting.

Owens is recovering from a broken right hand he hurt a week ago Sunday. He had an operation the next day to have a plate screwed in, enabling the bone to heal without being further injured. Dallas Cowboys coach Bill Parcells said last week that the pain medicine made Owens ill.

The Cowboys were off this past weekend and Owens was back at practice Tuesday, although he worked out on his own. Parcells said Owens' hand was improving and he was expected back on the practice field Wednesday.

Owens chatted briefly with reporters in the locker-room Tuesday afternoon and seemed fine.

Owens, one of the league's top receivers during his 11-year NFL career, is best known for wild stunts on the field and other publicity-seeking antics off it.

When the Cowboys signed him to a US$25 million, three-year deal in March, they said their background checks indicated no red flags.

In fact, team consultant Calvin Hill - who mostly deals with troubled players - said during training camp that his department was not involved with Owens because he didn't have a history of those kinds of problems.

Dallas police officials said they were planning a news conference later Wednesday, did not immediately release a time. A hospital spokeswoman said early Wednesday there was no patient registered as Terrell Owens, although federal privacy laws allow people to block their name from being released.

Owens' publicist and agent, and the Cowboys, did not return repeated calls from The Associated Press. No teammates or Cowboys officials were seen entering the hospital late Tuesday night.

langdak
09-27-2006, 11:00 AM
I really dont buy this as being a suicide attempt.

I buy it more as T.O. saying "look, i'm an attention whore, i need my name back in the news again"

Tiger Trauma
09-27-2006, 10:13 PM
I was trying to listen to doug mclean(columbus gm) radio show where he talks about the blue jackets, but instead found myself listening to a t.o press conference. :burningma

The whole thing sounds a little iffy to me

You have one side where police/rescue workers are reporting that, someone close to Terell said he was depressed, and T.O himself saying he was depressed. (Thats why he took a bunch of pills)

Then you have T.O saying he was dazed and didnt remember saying that. The police are lying about when they heard someone close to him say he was depressed.

Lol, who knows what actually happened. It could be the media just hyping this up, or he could of just been having a bad day. but because its T.O, it's front page news.

Blades 4 Life!
09-29-2006, 01:57 PM
Ya i think that T.o was just trying to get more attention. He remindes me of Mike Tyson, but i dont know why. Even Mike Tyson is trying to get back into the media cause i heard on TSN that Mike Tyson was going to Box someone he knows for 4 Rounds in some small town and its like 120 bucks or 30 bucks on paper veiw. I dont know who would play 30 bucks just to see Mike Tyson box for 4 rounds

LifelongChiefsFan
09-29-2006, 02:11 PM
I don't think that this was a TO attention thing at all. I have a feeling it got blown out of proportion just because of the fact it was Owens. The media has a hard on for him for whatever reason and if he sneezes it makes the front page. Kind of ridiculous if you ask me....seeing him on the front page over and over again just gets old. But that's the media for you...beating a dead horse is what they do best. Anyway, I'm glad he is ok, the guy is an exceptional football talent. If the media could only learn to not focus on every little thing the guy does (like that will ever happen :rolleyes: ).

MooseJaw_Kyle
10-03-2006, 08:09 PM
Terrell Owens just needs his attention.

Triton
10-07-2006, 01:28 PM
Maybe he is depressed.A suicide attempt is nothing to joke about or make fun at.Yeah he's an athlete and a public figure but he is a person and does have feelings.