PDA

View Full Version : Courchene

Jimmypop316
09-27-2006, 04:06 PM
from spokanechiefs.com

The Spokane Chiefs have acquired 20-year-old Corey Courchene from the Brandon Wheat Kings in exchange for a third round selection in the 2007 WHL Bantam Draft. Courchene is in his fourth season in the WHL and recorded career highs in goals (11), assists (13), points (24) and penalty minutes (150) last season in 56 games. From Fort Alexander, Manitoba, Courchene has played 175 career games, including one this year. Courchene was originally a fourth round selection in the 2001 WHL Bantam Draft.

“Corey Courchene will be a good addition for our team,” Chiefs General Manager Tim Speltz said. “He has size, grit and good skill. Cory is a versatile player who can play forward and defense.”

Courchene joins forward Derek Ryan and defenseman Evan Haw as the three 20-year-olds on the Chiefs, the maximum number allowed on WHL rosters.

The Chiefs will continue their four game road stretch to open the 2006-07 season on Saturday night versus the Tri-City Americans. Mike Boyle will go on the air at 6:30 with Comcast Hockey Tonight with the play-by-play beginning at 7:00 on KJRB 790 the Fan.

Spokane will open the home portion of their schedule against the Americans on Saturday, October 7th on Bud Light Opening Night and Black Book by Hagadone Directories Magnet Schedule Giveaway. Tickets for all home games are available by calling the Chiefs office at (509) 535-PUCK or TicketsWest at (800) 325-SEAT.

====

Sounds like a good two-way player. Probably will be played on the back-end maybe until Spurg gets back?

Rutherford and Courchene are what we got (a 5th round pick and a 3rd round pick) for trading Lynch to Red Deer. Not too bad if you ask me.

LifelongChiefsFan
09-27-2006, 07:26 PM
Interesting trade. Should be solid, won't score much, but the Chiefs Dmen usually don't light it up. Nice pick up to fill our missing overage spot.

Jimmypop316
09-27-2006, 07:37 PM
Interesting trade. Should be solid, won't score much, but the Chiefs Dmen usually don't light it up. Nick pick up to fill our missing overage spot.

From the sounds of reading things from the white and chiefs board.. it sounds like he is a gritty player who is going to grind and step up and do the dirty work. A welcome addition if you ask me.

nivek_wahs
09-28-2006, 02:00 AM
From watching him over the last 2 years as an opponent of the Pats... Courchene is gritty, hard-working, tough, has decent speed, loves to hit, not afraid to fight... but doesn't have a huge offensive upside.

I think he will be well liked in Spokane.

brandonboy
09-28-2006, 08:47 PM
Interesting trade. Should be solid, won't score much, but the Chiefs Dmen usually don't light it up. Nick pick up to fill our missing overage spot.

Courchene can play D but is promenently a LW you guys got a steal on this one. Cory is a very dominant pressence on the ice and has one of the hardest shots i have ever seen, he just needs to learn how to control it.

Ive watched Cory every game for the past 4 years and he keeps impressing the wheat Kings just didnt know how to use him. I think in Spokane he'll shine and really put up some good #'s.

Dwight Schrute
09-28-2006, 10:28 PM
he has a great shot but very little shot control. takes bad penalties... and many opposing teams would deem him "kinda dirty". but is a solid physical presence. he is a good fighter i'll give him that no heavy weight and rarely loses (cause he knows what he is doing) and rarely wins (most are draws).
3rd round pick is kinda steep for him but he hopefully he works out for you (and provides grabner some security)

Jimmypop316
09-28-2006, 11:51 PM
Courchene can play D but is promenently a LW you guys got a steal on this one. Cory is a very dominant pressence on the ice and has one of the hardest shots i have ever seen, he just needs to learn how to control it.

Ive watched Cory every game for the past 4 years and he keeps impressing the wheat Kings just didnt know how to use him. I think in Spokane he'll shine and really put up some good #'s.

Sometimes the best thing for a player is a change of scenery :).

Thanks everyone for the info and bits on hit. It will be good to see how he fares when he hits the ice for us.

brandonboy
09-29-2006, 09:08 PM
Sometimes the best thing for a player is a change of scenery :).

Thanks everyone for the info and bits on hit. It will be good to see how he fares when he hits the ice for us.

I went to the Wheat King game with Cory tonight and he says he isn't going to report to the Chiefs, and may go play junior a here in Manitoba.

Jimmypop316
09-29-2006, 10:31 PM
mmmmmmmmm fantastic

brandonboy
09-29-2006, 10:39 PM
mmmmmmmmm fantastic

If it help's I tried to talk him into going I think a fresh start in Spokan would be great for him.

Hopefully he changes his mind.

Jimmypop316
09-30-2006, 03:22 PM
what happens exactly with the chiefs draft pick if Courchene doesn't report?

I saw this happen last year with Howarth deciding not to report to Everett, and was wondering if Brandon still keeps the 3rd round pick, or if the trade is null/void?

Anyways I hope he does show up, he sounds like he will be a very nice addition to the team.

brandonboy
09-30-2006, 04:43 PM
what happens exactly with the chiefs draft pick if Courchene doesn't report?

I saw this happen last year with Howarth deciding not to report to Everett, and was wondering if Brandon still keeps the 3rd round pick, or if the trade is null/void?

Anyways I hope he does show up, he sounds like he will be a very nice addition to the team.

The Wheat Kings keep it, the only way the trade would be voided is if it was a conditional draft pick and that was one of the conditions.

90-91
09-30-2006, 08:06 PM
Coach Peters, in the pre game interview before the TCA game just said that he talked to Courchene earlier this week & "Corey is excited to have this opportunity to play in Spokane" & even has him penciled in to start on D with Sean Zimmerman against TCA next Saturday.......he also said that Courchene would be flying in Monday to have a full week of practice with the team.

Whatever you said to him must have worked :groovy: