PDA

View Full Version : Tips Fans - Loud and Proud!

Tipped Off
09-29-2006, 09:44 AM
Tips fans are known for their vocal abilities and tonight they get the chance to let go again

By Nick Patterson
Herald writer

EVERETT - Moises Gutierrez has witnessed it before.

The Everett Events Center is unlike any other venue in the WHL. The Everett Silvertips fans are the most boisterous in the league. Their energy and enthusiasm build a cacaphony that lifts the Tips and intimidates the opposition.

Gutierrez knows the commotion well. But tonight will be the first time he's on the receiving end of the cheers as opposed to the jeers.

The Events Center is introduced to the 2006-07 season for the first time tonight as the Silvertips face the Kelowna Rockets in their home opener.

"It's extremely exciting," said Gutierrez, who visited the Events Center each of the past three seasons as a member of the Kamloops Blazers. "I've played here before in front of 6,000 and it gets pretty loud, but I can't wait to see what 8,000-plus sounds like (today). Now that I'm on the other side of the spectrum playing for the home team, it's unbelievable."

Everett opened the season last weekend with a pair of road games at Chilliwack and Kamloops, so the Silvertips are anxious to finally get the chance to play in front of their own fans for a change.

"I've been excited for a couple of weeks," Everett captain Cody Thoring said. "We'll finally be back in the Events Center with loud, screaming fans. I can't wait."

There was a substantial amount of extra bustle around Everett's practice Thursday. Events Center personnel were busy preparing the seats as the Silvertips went through their drills, and members of the front office secured advertisements along the boards while the players conducting post-practice mock fights in the background. For many of the rookies and newcomers, tonight will be the first time they experience the thrill of the Events Center at its craziest. And as Gutierrez attests, even the visiting players can feel that thrill.

"Everyone looked forward to it," Gutierrez said about his trips to Everett as a Blazer. "It's an unbelievable facility. And the fans, I just loved hearing them cheer. Even when you're on the opposing team, the boos or cheers got so loud. Even when they scored it gave you the chills. The national anthem, everything, the place goes nuts."

One member of the Silvertips who won't be experiencing the home opener is suspended coach Kevin Constantine.

Or will he?

"I'm thinking of coming dressed in drag, so I might be in the building somewhere," joked Constantine, who's finishing up a four-game suspension for having the players ride home in their gear following a preseason loss. "It's going to be up to the fans to try and find me somewhere."

Historically Everett hasn't fared well in home openers. The Silvertips are 1-2 in franchise history in home openers, losing in each of their first two seasons before breaking through with a 5-2 victory over Prince George last year.

Fortunately for Everett, struggles in the home opener have never been an omen for the season to come.

"I've never been able to look at an opening game of the year, whether home or road, and use it as a gauge for how your team's going to look," Constantine said. "That's why while it was nice to get the win in Chilliwack, we somewhat dismissed that as an indicator of how we're going to be. The home opener will be similar - maybe not as much in terms of emotions that go along with the first game because it's our third game - but still we're not going to judge our team based on what happens."

The home opener may bring a little added pressure, but it also might be easier on the players' psyche that the home opener is not the season opener. Because of immigration rules, Everett always begins the season on the road. Therefore, the Silvertips always have at least one game under their belts when the home opener arrives.

"I think that's good," Thoring said. "The first couple games you're still feeling everybody out and you're not completely confident in yourself yet. So it's good to get those two games out of the way on the road. Now being home after two games it'll feel a little more comfortable."

And if nothing else, the Silvertips at least know they've got the loudest fans in the WHL behind them.

Slap shots: The KRKO (1380 AM) radio broadcasts for both tonight's game and Saturday's against Kamloops will be delayed. Tonight's game is delayed until the completion of high school football, Saturday's game will be joined in progress following Washington State University football. The games will be broadcast live on the internet and in the arena on 107.3 FM. ... The Silvertips are unveiling their third jersey Saturday. The jerseys have a tie-up front with a bear claw logo on the front. ... As of Thursday afternoon a handful of tickets were still available for both games this weekend.