PDA

View Full Version : Trade Rumours

bones
09-29-2006, 03:16 PM
Ok Ive heard a few rumours that Dallas is going to try and stock up this year and make a run for the Mem Cup. Ive heard that hes going after Setoguchi from Sask, not sure whats being offered and Ive heard hes going after Kendall McArdle from MJ. I would imagine for McArdle he would have to give up a 20 year old, probably Walker and a goalie, probably Cyr, so he could take over for Perricone next year. Id think that for Setoguchi he would probably have to give up a first round pick and possibly a young roster player since S'toon looks like they are going to be in rebuild mode this year. if Dallas can pull this off I think its going to show the fans in PG that the franchise is serious about winning a championship and I think its good because hes basically telling Vancouver to **** off and let them know that they are going to have to earn their way to the Mem Cup this year, which I think they are going to have to anyway.

Sput
09-29-2006, 03:52 PM
Interesting rumors for sure. We have to wait and see what plays out. Seto...maybe, McArdle.....toguh to get I think. Vancouver is reportedly going after both these guys too, or at least 'rumor has it" that they are. To get fans back in the CNCenter, the tema, management and players alike have to make the effort to put the product on the ice. They are half way there, the players seem to be putting out. management has to pick up their end of things a little more. Make the effort to get the players to come here, show them how good a team it is, what the city is like. Give the fans something to make some noise about. Bring back the tradition of PG being an intimidating barn to play in, and the young players will hopefully change their minds about the team and the city.

KBF
09-29-2006, 04:01 PM
You think giving up Cyr, Walker and a youngster is going to get both of McCardle and Setoguchi? You're gonna be shocked then.

Hunt24
09-29-2006, 05:36 PM
I think its good because hes basically telling Vancouver to **** off and let them know that they are going to have to earn their way to the Mem Cup this year, which I think they are going to have to anyway.

Well to tell them that, he'd have to first consult with the CHL rules committee as the host is still guaranteed a berth. :clown: I find it interesting you've posted these "rumours" in a number of places but haven't shown anything to back them up. Are you using a spoon or a fork to stir it up?

Beaner
09-30-2006, 12:30 AM
I would imagine for McArdle he would have to give up a 20 year old, probably Walker and a goalie, probably Cyr, so he could take over for Perricone next year.

So a 20 year old Walker,with a CAREER 45 goals, and a 19 year old goalie for McArdle? Why would anyone make this trade considering that both McArdle and Perricone could be back next year as overagers? This is a terrible trade for MJ why not just make McArdle for a 10th round pick.

Id think that for Setoguchi he would probably have to give up a first round pick and possibly a young roster player since S'toon looks like they are going to be in rebuild mode this year.

You would probably have to give up 2 first round picks and possibly a young roster player.

So the price for Setouchi for PG is a first round pick plus a young player, but for Vancouver its 2 first round picks and a young roster player? Wow price sure goes up when you drive south. I wonder how much it would cost Portland for Setoguchi, 8 First round picks?

fightstrap50
09-30-2006, 01:11 AM
maybe one million. no no no one hundred million. ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah

Dwight Schrute
09-30-2006, 12:26 PM
why not dangle that d-man pg drafted this year that refused to report ? he might fetch you something decent

Sput
09-30-2006, 01:14 PM
Well to tell them that, he'd have to first consult with the CHL rules committee as the host is still guaranteed a berth. :clown: I find it interesting you've posted these "rumours" in a number of places but haven't shown anything to back them up. Are you using a spoon or a fork to stir it up?

OK....my turn to sound off here. Hunt24...reread the origional post. Bones says that Vancouver would have to EARN their way to the cup, not denying that they already have a birth there as hosts, but more saying that other teams will have their say in the total outcome of WHL champs.

Also....not to defend bones (I don't kow him from a hole in the ground) but everyone else can post rumors and whatnot on their boards, but some posts one from PG, something he's heard talked about around town, and he gets dumped on and everyone wants something to back the rumors up. Whats the deal? A rumor is a rumor, nothing more. I've read rumors that Vancouver is going after Seto and/or McArdle, with nothing backing that up other than saying its a rumor. Granted, getting Seto or McArdle will cost a team, a pick or two, and likely a young drafted prospect. Does it matter where he posted what?

Now...for the possibilities. Ya dannoabram....maybe dangling Stephan Elliot, and high pick and/or another 16-17yo with a 20yo would be enough for S'toon to concider it. Maybe not. Regardless who, if anyone, lands these trades, its going to make a huge splash in the outcomes come April.

Lets keep things civil folks. And I don't think geography has anything to do with the price of trades. :laugh:

PGFlyfisher
09-30-2006, 05:15 PM
If Elliot is true to his word that he " wants to play closer to home", Saskatoon is probably out. But then again, where have we heard that before. Oh yeah, the guy that decided to play two time zones to the East instead of one to the West. So, maybe it is possible to entice Saskatoon after all.

bones
10-01-2006, 03:54 AM
Ok lets just calm down here a little bit, I know you Vancouver fans are pissed because you guys think you own the world and think that Setoguchi should be going your way. Well like the title of the thread says, its a "rumour" so take it easy. As far as backing it up, since when do you have to back up a rumour???? I do have a pretty good source though, although Im not gonna reveal it. Another thing, as far as what teams would have to give up, no one but the GMs know what that is, so because I throw a couple of things out there doesnt mean thats exactly whats going on. Some of you people
need to realize that Vancouver isnt the only team in the league.

westbeach55
10-01-2006, 04:22 AM
Ok Ive heard a few rumours that Dallas is going to try and stock up this year and make a run for the Mem Cup. Ive heard that hes going after Setoguchi from Sask, not sure whats being offered and Ive heard hes going after Kendall McArdle from MJ. I would imagine for McArdle he would have to give up a 20 year old, probably Walker and a goalie, probably Cyr, so he could take over for Perricone next year. Id think that for Setoguchi he would probably have to give up a first round pick and possibly a young roster player since S'toon looks like they are going to be in rebuild mode this year. if Dallas can pull this off I think its going to show the fans in PG that the franchise is serious about winning a championship and I think its good because hes basically telling Vancouver to **** off and let them know that they are going to have to earn their way to the Mem Cup this year, which I think they are going to have to anyway.

If your going to trade mcardle you don't want to get a 20 year old in return, the warriors will want draft picks and young players to rebuild if they are going to let go of mcardle. Draft a goalie high rather than waste a trade. I don't know there goaltending situation but they must have some up and coming young goalies. whats up with Vancouver fans they support there team like you support pg. I really don't think dallas cares what vancouver does or thinks just like you shouldn't

Sput
10-01-2006, 04:54 PM
If your going to trade mcardle you don't want to get a 20 year old in return, the warriors will want draft picks and young players to rebuild if they are going to let go of mcardle. Draft a goalie high rather than waste a trade. I don't know there goaltending situation but they must have some up and coming young goalies. whats up with Vancouver fans they support there team like you support pg. I really don't think dallas cares what vancouver does or thinks just like you shouldn't

I don't think Moose Jaw would trade McArdle for a 20yo and picks either. A young prospect and draft picks yes, same as Saskatoon. What the overall price for either of these guys is going to be is anyones guess right now, only the GM's doing the deals are going to know before the press releases are out.

I'm not sold on the thought that McArdle is up for trade anyway. MJ doesn't look to be in to bad of shape for the season, and trading away your best player certainly wouldn't help you keep things going for now. Who knows....maybe both Kendal and Seto will end up in Medicine Hat and take the Tigers all the way! (That was for you TigerTrauma :D )

MooseJaw_Kyle
10-03-2006, 08:01 PM
"So a 20 year old Walker,with a CAREER 45 goals, and a 19 year old goalie for McArdle? Why would anyone make this trade considering that both McArdle and Perricone could be back next year as overagers? This is a terrible trade for MJ why not just make McArdle for a 10th round pick."

Perricone will be back as a overager next year.
McArdle is to good to be playing in then WHL at 20
he will play in The AHL or even possibly Florida

Tiger Trauma
10-04-2006, 02:48 AM
From the looks of this post, it sounds like seto will be a P.G cougar tomorow

http://www.network54.com/Forum/343825/message/1159946520/Citizen+Article+-+Cougars+are+about+to+add+Setoguchi%21%21%21

westbeach55
10-04-2006, 04:10 AM
very interesting well what you expect pg going to have the upper hand brodsky to brodsky. whats up with Cherniwichan, taken in the third round (50th overall) in the 2004 bantam draft by the Cougars, is playing for the AJHL’s Drayton Valley Thunder, and has eight goals and 12 points in eight games. He did not come to camp this year because the Cougars did not guarantee him a roster spot.I Can't believe he expects to just make the team without trying out.

scamperdog
10-04-2006, 07:20 AM
Cougars set to add Setoguchi? www.princegeorgecitizen.com
Elliott, list player and draft pick going to Saskatoon, sources tell The Citizen

by JIM SWANSON, Citizen Sports Editor

The Prince George Cougars are about to announce a major trade, sources have told The Citizen.

The expected acquisition of right-winger Devin Setoguchi, regarded as one of the top three offensive forwards in the Western Hockey League, would mark the first time in the club’s history that the Cougars have made what would be termed a “go for it this year” deal.

One source, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said the Cougars will add Setoguchi, 19, from the Saskatoon Blades without giving up a current roster player.

Said to be going the other way are list player Andrew Cherniwchan, a 17-year-old from Hinton, Alta., a third-round bantam choice in 2007, and the rights to North Vancouver defenceman Stefan Elliott, a 15-year-old who was taken 12th overall by the Cougars in May’s bantam draft.

Asked to confirm or deny the trade, Cougars general manager Dallas Thompson offered the longest string of “no comment” in the history of sports journalism.

“I saw that (Saskatoon Blades general manager and head coach) Lorne Molleken had a ‘no comment’ in the Saskatoon paper, and I’d like to do the same thing,” replied Thompson, contacted Tuesday night. “I have no comment to any rumour that may be out there, or in the paper. Nothing.”

Thompson said he has expressed an interest in Setoguchi to Molleken, who has stated his intention to move the six-foot, 190-pound sniper. Upon being returned to junior by the San Jose Sharks on Monday, Setoguchi went to his hometown of Tabor, Alta., not to Saskatoon.

“Our name has been thrown into the hat, and where that goes, I’m not sure,” said Thompson, adding that the Cougars “absolutely” have an interest in Setoguchi at the right purchase price.

“We’ll see, I guess. Our hat’s in the ring, and that’s where it was left when I left the office at 5:30 p.m. You never know what could happen.”

Elliott, named the B.C. minor hockey player of the year last season, did not show up at training camp this fall, and has made numerous statements about being hesitant to play in Prince George, suggesting it was too far from home for his family’s comfort. One source said Molleken was granted permission to speak with Elliott, who in turn indicated he would report to the Blades next year. Elliott is currently skating with the major midget Vancouver Northwest Giants.

Cherniwichan, taken in the third round (50th overall) in the 2004 bantam draft by the Cougars, is playing for the AJHL’s Drayton Valley Thunder, and has eight goals and 12 points in eight games. He did not come to camp this year because the Cougars did not guarantee him a roster spot.

The deal could be announced as early as today. Setoguchi is not expected to be in the lineup tonight when the Cougars welcome the Vancouver Giants to CN Centre, the first of two games featuring last season’s WHL champions, also this season’s Memorial Cup hosts.

Setoguchi scored 36 goals as an 18-year-old and was a late cut from last winter’s national junior team. He was the fifth-overall choice in the 2002 WHL bantam draft, then went eighth overall to the San Jose Sharks in the 2005 NHL entry draft. In his junior hockey career, Setoguchi has 82 goals and 178 points in exactly 200 WHL games.

The Sharks chose Prince George Cougars defenceman Ty Wishart with their first pick, 16th overall, in this summer’s draft.

Setoguchi missed the national junior team’s summer camp because of a knee injury, a problem that also restricted his icetime at the Sharks camp this year. The knee was injured while Setoguchi was lifting weights in the off-season. He is believed to be close to ready for game action, and medical clearance is said to be among the reasons for the delay in announcing the deal.

rinkrat
10-04-2006, 08:59 AM
I know you Vancouver fans are pissed because you guys think you own the world

hard enough to own a little chunk of dirt in this town with the outrageous real estate prices,let alone the world. :thumb:

Congratulations if in fact,you guys got Setoguchi.Should be alot of fun to watch.

Sput
10-04-2006, 09:26 AM
I'm definately hopeful that the Citizen is telling the truth, but the pessimistic side of me is waiting for an official release. IF Seto is coming here, its a huge trade, and IF the players going the other way didn't cost us anything off the current roster.

East Watch
10-04-2006, 09:59 AM
Brodsky-Brodsky deal. Why not help a brother out who has a great chance of winning the league this year! The Cougars would be loaded for a run after this deal with Hunter, Setoguchi, Walker, Robertson, Drazenovic etc....Crazy. However if the Blades only get a 15 yr old in Elliott who projects as decent but not great and Cherniwchan who has shown ability to score in the past with 48 goals in his Bantam draft year and 20 in his 15 yr old midget year and thus far he has 8-4-12 in 8 games. However, there has to be a reason why the Cougars don't have him on the team too.

Sput
10-04-2006, 10:17 AM
Cherniwchan who has shown ability to score in the past with 48 goals in his Bantam draft year and 20 in his 15 yr old midget year and thus far he has 8-4-12 in 8 games. However, there has to be a reason why the Cougars don't have him on the team too.

From everything I've read about Cherniwchan he has a scoring touch, but wasn't going to come here because he wasn't assured of a roster spot and guarunteed ice time. A little optimistic to want to be guarunteed these things without trying out for the team. On a younger squad, like the Blades, he MIGHT be able to get these things, but not on a veteran loaded team that looks be loading up for a run.

howley
10-04-2006, 11:01 AM
=======
Cougars Add NHL First Rounder
PRINCE GEORGE, BC- The Prince George Cougars have announced the acquisition of 19 year old RW Devin Setoguchi of the Saskatoon Blades in exchange for Stefan Elliot and a 1st round Bantam selection in 2008. Elliot was the Cougars 12th overall selection in 2006 WHL Bantam Draft.

Setoguchi, a 6’0, 195lbs. product of Taber, AB, was the San Jose Sharks 8th overall selection in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft. Setoguchi, who registered 36 goals, 47 assists, 83 points, and +17 rating in 65 games last season with the Blades, was the WHL’s player of the month in November 2005 and was a member of Team WHL at the 2005 Canada/Russia Challenge.

“Acquiring Devin Setoguchi at this early juncture in the season makes this a very exciting day for our franchise. Devin will fit in extremely well with the talent and depth on our forward lines”, states Cougars GM Dallas Thompson. “He will be heavily counted on to help our team achieve our goals”, finishes Thompson.

Setoguchi is expected to be in the Cougars line-up when they face off with the Swift Current Broncos on Tuesday, October 10 at the CN Centre.

Cougar Guy
10-04-2006, 11:14 AM
Our lineup of forwards is now officially ridiculous, ridiculous in a good way :D

It's about damn time that we had a GM who was willing to make a "big" trade. Good on you Dallas, you've done what no other GM in Cougar history has done. You've made a statement that you are going for it this year. Whatever happens, it should be fun to watch.