PDA

View Full Version : GiantsBeat.com Game Preview: Sep 30

Hunt24
09-30-2006, 02:59 PM
Giants take WHL’s highest scoring offense on the road
Seattle plays home opener tonight

The Vancouver Giants started the season with three home wins. Now, in their first three game weekend of the year, they travel to Seattle to take on the 1-1 Thunderbirds in their home opener. The Giants dispatched the Chilliwack Bruins Friday night 7-1.

The Giants currently have the WHL’s most potent offense averaging nearly seven goals per game. Yet only Cody Franson finds himself in the top 10 in league scoring. The balanced attack the Giants possess will make them difficult to shutdown throughout the season.

The Thunderbirds opened their season with back-to-back games in Prince George where they lost 4-2 last Friday, only to come back and win 4-2 the following night. The T-Birds expect to be led offensively by the likes of Aaron Gagnon, Chris Durand and Euro-import Radek Meidl.

Tyson Sexsmith (1-0-0 2.00), who sat out last night, should see action tonight in goal for the Giants as they continue to rotate both goaltenders and overagers. Many feel a deal may already be in the works that would see Sexsmith shipped East. Should he not see action tonight, that would only add fuel to the already rampant rumours. Former Kelowna Rocket Derek Yeomans (1-1, 3.05) should get the call for Seattle.

As for the heavyweights, look for Milan Lucic and Benn Olson to square off at least once. These two fought numerous times last season, including the pre-season tournament in Everett, with Lucic maintaining the upper hand throughout most of the tilts.

Top Scorers

Seattle Thunderbirds GP G A PTS
Greg Scott 2 1 1 2
Bretton Stamler 2 1 1 2
Thomas Hickey 2 0 2 2

Vancouver Giants GP G A PTS
Cody Franson 3 1 5 6
Jonathon Blum 3 1 4 5
Michal Repik 3 1 4 5

GiantsBeat.com Prediction: Seattle Thunderbirds 3 Vancouver Giants 4

rinkrat
09-30-2006, 06:26 PM
Giants take WHL’s highest scoring offense on the road
Seattle plays home opener tonight

Many feel a deal may already be in the works that would see Sexsmith shipped East.

Can you give us the dirt on this? Who may be coming back?

Gilbert_Brule_Fan
09-30-2006, 08:42 PM
Can you give us the dirt on this? Who may be coming back?

scoop please Hunt24!

Hunt24
09-30-2006, 09:01 PM
Sorry guys. I can't release too much of this.

The fact that he's in net tonight probably means they're still trying to make a deal.

rinkrat
09-30-2006, 09:04 PM

Why bring it up then? :(

Gilbert_Brule_Fan
09-30-2006, 09:07 PM

The fact that he's in net tonight probably means they're still trying to make a deal.

or it may mean, that if he does well tonight, the deal will go through.

Hunt24
09-30-2006, 10:01 PM
Why bring it up then? :(

Because it was part of the story. He was expected to get the start tonight, but if he didn't it's a strong indicator that a trade is closer to being done.

rinkrat
09-30-2006, 10:11 PM
So who is it,that feels there is a deal in the works with a team from "the East"? Are you quoting your fellow fans,or an actual credible source connecyed to the dub? Thanks... :)

Kassian
09-30-2006, 10:57 PM
Giants win 3-2 in a shootout. Real nice goal by Repik and some huge saves by Sexsmith.

rinkrat
09-30-2006, 10:59 PM
Nice win,Giants took tons of penalties tonight,couldn't tell if they were legit due to poor internet feed.
What the heck was JD Watt doing,taking a shot during the shootout?Has Hay been hanging out with Buono??lol :spineyes:

old_time_hockey
09-30-2006, 11:21 PM
Nice win,Giants took tons of penalties tonight,couldn't tell if they were legit due to poor internet feed.
What the heck was JD Watt doing,taking a shot during the shootout?Has Hay been hanging out with Buono??lol :spineyes:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....I can hear the convo on the bench now.

OK JD, here is what we are going to do....You have the wind at your back. Kick it back beyond the endzone. I had a chat with Wally today and he said it should work as long as you don't shank it.

Hunt24
09-30-2006, 11:26 PM
So who is it,that feels there is a deal in the works with a team from "the East"? Are you quoting your fellow fans,or an actual credible source connecyed to the dub? Thanks... :)

I'm not quoting fellow fans. Sadly, fans are never good sources as they tend to be emotionally committed. That's why talk radio is such garbage. My sources are legit and come from my days working as a member of the media in two WHL cities. I won't name them and if you choose not to take a rumour for what it's worth then that's not my problem. I simply want to pass on information that gets shared with me.

old_time_hockey
09-30-2006, 11:27 PM
Oh...and good guessing on the final score. You nailed the 1 goal differance, just slightly higher.

And even in the Whack game. Almost nailed that one too.

Gilbert_Brule_Fan
09-30-2006, 11:51 PM
I'm not quoting fellow fans. Sadly, fans are never good sources as they tend to be emotionally committed. That's why talk radio is such garbage. My sources are legit and come from my days working as a member of the media in two WHL cities. I won't name them and if you choose not to take a rumour for what it's worth then that's not my problem. I simply want to pass on information that gets shared with me.
just telling us what division would be nice lol

rinkrat
09-30-2006, 11:58 PM
My sources are legit and come from my days working as a member of the media in two WHL cities.

:clap: :clap: :spineyes:

dondo
10-01-2006, 12:15 AM

JD was 1 for 1 last season in shootouts and he has a decent shot - so why not. Love that Repik got such a nice goal though.

GF71
10-01-2006, 01:58 AM

Face it guys some things are not meant to be made public. I get asked all the time who/where i get my information from. Some things can be revealed, some things can't. If i was to call out every person who gives me information the well would run real dry, real quick. Why can't people understand that? I post what information I can without compromising my sources or putting them in difficult situations. Some of my sources are the same as 24's, some are not. Why can't people appriciate what has been posted? If you choose not to believe it, then why flame Hunt 24 for not revealing sources?

rinkrat
10-01-2006, 08:38 AM
Some things can be revealed, some things can't. If i was to call out every person who gives me information the well would run real dry, real quick. Why can't people understand that?

Its not some kind of breaking news that a goaltender and possibly a 20 y/o are likely to be moved soon.
So to come on here and make a statement that "many feel a deal is in the works" and then get all high and mighty anout not revealing sources is frankly laughable.
All I asked was to give us some dirt ie; team,player etc.
Really there was no need to even bring it up,other than to tell us you think you know something we don't.haha laughable :spineyes:

Hunt24
10-01-2006, 10:32 AM
Its not some kind of breaking news that a goaltender and possibly a 20 y/o are likely to be moved soon.
So to come on here and make a statement that "many feel a deal is in the works" and then get all high and mighty anout not revealing sources is frankly laughable.
All I asked was to give us some dirt ie; team,player etc.
Really there was no need to even bring it up,other than to tell us you think you know something we don't.haha laughable :spineyes:

I never got all high and mighty about it. But, considering that I was told in confidence, I'm not going to break that for anything. Players and players families read these boards on a daily basis and I'm not going to turn this board into a rumor mill and cause families to get all up in arms. I'm not providing dirt. Ever. It's not why I became a journalist. If you want dirt, go elsewhere.

I've met a number of people on this board in the past few weeks and all have been extremely positive. That sense of community amongst Giants fans is why I'm excited about GiantsBeat.com and organizing bus trips and other events as the year progresses. GiantsFan, Dondo, Scrunt are all good people and I'm better for having met them. I'm anxious to get GiantsBeat going so that more people like them have a place to call home.

Knuckles Muldoon
10-01-2006, 11:00 AM
I'm more concerned about Hayzer repeatedly sending Timmy Kraus out there for shootouts. Don't get me wrong; Tim is a real talented guy with sweet hands. But his problem with the shootouts is that he tries to make every attempt into the prettiest goal of all time. Just put the puck in the net, Tim. Save the highlight reel stuff. Repik would be in my top three every time, even though his success rate isn't much better than Kraus'. At this point, my prime three any given night would be Repik, Franson and Lamb.
But Lord, do I hate shoot-outs. :(

TheBrass
10-02-2006, 11:20 AM
If you want dirt, go elsewhere.

I think it's a fair comment that most of us who frequent this site are looking for dirt. I'm not trying to call you out Hunt24, but that really rubs me the wrong way. I'm cool with you not wanting to reveal sources or name names before it is kosher to do so, and I like to have the inside track on what's happening, but your attitude there seems to be a bit heavy handed. Did someone make you overlord of whlfans.ca? I've enjoyed your posts, and will probably frequent GiantsBeat.com when it launches, but keep in mind that those of us without the sources and connections still take our WHL gossip, rumors, and facts very seriously and I don't think I am the only one who is a little taken by your comment.

Hunt24
10-02-2006, 11:48 AM
I think it's a fair comment that most of us who frequent this site are looking for dirt. I'm not trying to call you out Hunt24, but that really rubs me the wrong way. I'm cool with you not wanting to reveal sources or name names before it is kosher to do so, and I like to have the inside track on what's happening, but your attitude there seems to be a bit heavy handed..

A good percentage of the fans that read this board are looking for dirt. I recognize that, but I'm not going to provide "dirt". If I get information that I feel can be let out of the bag, I'll share it. In this instance all I have is a team that was looking at three specific Giants players. It's not fair to those players, or their families, to post this information. Like I said, if you want dirt go elsewhere. By elsewhere, I don't mean don't come to WHLFans, I mean don't look to me to provide it. It's not what I'm about.

Did someone make you overlord of whlfans.ca? I

Ahem, sorry who called who heavy handed? I never said I was the overlord, nor would I. This board is a community of WHL Fans and I completely respect that. My hunch says you assumed I was saying "go elsewhere" meaning don't come to this board, which is not what I said at all. You've simply taken it out of context.

TheBrass
10-02-2006, 12:01 PM
I stand by my words, your post came off with an attitude of go elsewhere as in don't bother coming to this site. If that's not where you were going with it, that's cool with me, but I would think as a professional journalist you would have learned a few things about alienating your audience and no offense, but that's what you did with me. You seem like a smart guy, you obviously write very well, but if no one wants to read your stuff where does that leave you?

Like I said previously, I look forward to GiantsBeat.com, and I have enjoyed your posts here up until that one. It's all a matter of tone my friend.

Have a nice day! :D

HAF
10-02-2006, 12:15 PM
Hunt24,I agree with the others on this issue. Until a rumour is confirmed through some sort of press release from either the team or the league it is still just that, A RUMOUR. If this info is indeed being told to you in confidence then what the hell are you doing blabbing it on a message board for anyways? Without a source what you have to say has very little credability even if it is indeed true. You want to brag about a resume of working in WHL cities yet do not want to mention which cities they were. Why mention it then?
Dont come on here telling my members to go elsewhere if they are going to question what you have to say. You have your own website, I suggest you go elsewhere and quit using this site to plug yours.

Hunt24
10-02-2006, 12:47 PM
HAF et al,

'Until a rumour is confirmed through some sort of press release from either the team or the league it is still just that, A RUMOUR"

I never said otherwise.

'If this info is indeed being told to you in confidence then what the hell are you doing blabbing it on a message board for anyways?"

As I mentioned to you HAF in a private message, I was told information and asked not to release details (name or team specifically). I asked if I could mention that there was a rumour of a deal already being done. He said no problem, but leave the source and the details out. He was hoping to be able to use it himself.

"You want to brag about a resume of working in WHL cities yet do not want to mention which cities they were. Why mention it then?"

I'm not going to go back and find it, but I did post that I covered the Giants for Canadian Press their first three years in the league. Prior to that I was in Kelowna as a sports reporter.

"Dont come on here telling my members to go elsewhere if they are going to question what you have to say."

Again, this is where the medium of the Internet suffers a little bit. This has been taken out of context and for that, I'll apologize. It's tough to fully understand tone of something that is only typed, not spoken. That being said, I view WHLFans as a modern-day hot stove. Now, throw yourself back 60 years where we're actually gathered around a hot stove. And I SAY "I'm not going to provide dirt, but will report what I can and if you don't like it go elsewhere"...because I spoke this you'd probably understand that in elsewhere I'm simply referring to somebody else. I'll be careful to understand that lack of clarity next time.

"You have your own website, I suggest you go elsewhere and quit using this site to plug yours."

I mean no harm to this board, it's the only WHL Board I belong to. For good reason. I don't know all the details of the ownership of this board, but would guess that it's run by (this is gonna sound sooo stupid) WHL fans with no regard for covering their financial costs. I sincerely applaud that stuff (this is why being a WHL fan is cool. Like the players, it's not about the money). It was through discussion with Giants fans on this site that I felt the need to start a Giants website and provide us with coverage of the team that isn't there due to the competition we have with an NHL team. I certainly don't view

Now, this thread was originally a game preview thread of a very exciting WHL game. I truly wish that it doesn't deteriorate any further. I'm hoping this closes off the thread and we can all move past this. As I said previously, I've met a lot of the fans on this board at Giants games this year and they're all really cool people. I only hope we can just move on. I mean, hell, there IS a game in two days!