PDA

View Full Version : Game 4 - Kamloops

Tipped Off
10-01-2006, 05:32 AM
Posted : : 10/01/2006
Silvertips Grinds Out a Victory Over Kamloops
Everett Starts Season 4-0
Everett Silvertips Press Release

Everett, WA - Silvertips forwards Jesse Smyke and Brady Calla tallied short handed goals to help lead the Everett Silvertips to a 4-2 win over the Kamloops Blazers on Saturday night at the Everett Events Center. With the win, the Silvertips start the season with a 4-0 record, a franchise best.

Silvertips goaltender Leland Irving made key saves by stopping 16 saves on 18 shots. Damir Alic and Moises Gutierrez each added their first goals in the 2006-2007 WHL campaign in the victory. Brennan Sonne and Zach Hamill also posted assists for the Silvertips. With Hamill's assist, the Port Coquitlam, BC native currently has a four game point streak.

For the Blazers, Terrance Delaronde and Brady Mason added goals in a losing effort. In goal for Kamloops, Michael Maniago made 11 saves on 14 shots while Dalyn Flette made 8 saves on 8 shots in relief.

The Silvertips out shot the Blazers by a margin of 23-18 in the hockey game. The Silvertips went 0 for 11 on the power play and the Blazers went 1 for 8 on the extra man advantage.

The Silvertips will be back in action on Friday, October 6 against the Spokane Chiefs at the Everett Events Center. Game time is set for 7:35 p.m.

Silvertips Box Scores

Damir Alic: 1 goal
Moises Gutierrez: 1 goal
Jesse Smyke: 1 goal (SH)
Brady Calla: 1 goal (SH, EN)
Brennan Sonne: 1 assist
Zach Hamill: 1 assist

Leland Irving (4-0): 16/18

Power Play: Everett 0/11, Kamloops 1/8

Shots on Goal: Everett 23, Kamloops 18

3 Stars of the Game

1. Brennan Sonne (EVT)
2. Damir Alic (EVT)
3. Brady Mason (KAM)

Tipped Off
10-01-2006, 05:52 AM
Silvertips grind out win, stay undefeated
Everett's Kyle Beach is injured in ugly 4-2 victory over Kamloops

By Nick Patterson
Herald Writer

EVERETT - A win's a win, no matter how ugly it may be, and even good teams need a little help from lady fortune now and then.

But they don't come much uglier than it did for the Everett Silvertips on Saturday night. Everett needed help from a pair of lucky bounces to survive a game in which they looked out of sorts, but nevertheless the Silvertips remained perfect to start the season after a 4-2 victory over the Kamloops Blazers.

In a game that at times was painful to watch, Everett received goals from Damir Alic, Moises Gutierrez, Jesse Smyke and Brady Calla to improve its record to 4-0. However, the Silvertips looked far from a team with Memorial Cup aspirations.

"It wasn't the prettiest game, but it's another two points," said Gutierrez, who was thrilled to score against his former team. "We were sloppy. We grinded it out and got the two points, but it was definitely not our prettiest effort."

This one was ugly on many different levels. The game dragged along and had little flow - 23 penalties in the first period will do that. The two goals that gave Everett control of the game in the second period both resembled something from a recreation league game. Even the normally boisterous Everett Events Center crowd was subdued.

As far as Everett's play was concerned, the Tips were particularly ineffective on the power play. Everett went 0-for-13 with the advantage and managed to squander approximately five minutes worth of five-on-threes in the first period.

But Everett still gave coach Kevin Constantine a victorious return. Constantine was behind the bench for the first time this season after spending the first three games suspended.

"I was a little nervous that I might be the one to cause our first loss," Constantine said. "It's silly to have that thought, but you do anyhow. We're 3-0, maybe I should just stay where I am.

"The whole game I thought was dictated by their physical play, which made the whole game a scramble," Constantine added. "If we had scored on some of the five-on-threes early it would have given a rhythm to the game. But because we didn't they were always in the game. Fortunately we got a couple lucky goals and that was the difference."

Leland Irving finished with 16 saves to earn the win in goal for Everett.

Terrance Delaronde had a goal and an assist and former Silvertip Brady Mason also scored for Kamloops (1-2). Michael Maniago made 11 saves on 14 shots in the Kamloops goal before being lifted in the second period. Dalyn Flette saved all eight shots he saw in relief.

"I thought we deserved a better fate the way we worked real hard," Kamloops captain Reid Jorgensen said. "We started off a little slow, but as the game went on we got more comfortable. That game could as easily been ours as theirs."

The game also had a nasty element. Late in the first period Everett star-in-waiting/agitator Kyle Beach was jumped by Kamloops enforcer Matt Kassian, setting off a fracas, and then in the third period Beach was slammed into the boards by Jorgensen and had to be helped from the ice. Beach didn't return, but was seen up and about after the game.

"I thought (Beach) was specifically targeted for things like that," Constantine said. "I was really bothered by what Kassian did. To take a player, throw him down and slam his head into the ice, I don't know where that fits in hockey. It looked like he had one thing in mind and that was attempting to injure a player."

The game was tied 1-1 when Everett grabbed control with two goals in two minutes midway through the second period, both of which the Tips had little to do with. First, at 11:25, Gutierrez tried to throw the puck out front from behind the net, only for it to ricochet off traffic and trickle between Maniago's legs to give Everett the lead.

Then 1:34 later with Kamloops on the power play, Smyke sent a seemingly harmless shot toward goal from the blue line, only for it to deflect off Maniago;s glove and into the net to make it 3-1. Smyke's goal sent Maniago to the bench.

Mason beat Irving with a shot from the right circle 3:13 into the third period, and the Tips had to hang on until Calla scored into an empty net with 11.5 seconds remaining.

Slap shots: The Silvertips debuted their new alternate jerseys, which featured the bear claw logo and different lettering. ... Everett made one lineup change as defenseman Mike Alexander made his season debut in place of Eric Doyle, who suffered a cut to his forehead in Friday's 4-1 victory over Kelowna. ... Kamloops' one injury doubt, defenseman Victor Bartley who was dealing with a hip injury, was able to play. ... There was a scoring change from Friday's game as Zach Hamill was credited with Everett's first goal instead of Moises Gutierrez.

Kamloops 1 0 1 - 2

Everett 1 2 1 - 4

First Period-1, Everett, Alic 1 (Sonne), 7:42. 2, Kamloops, Delaronde 1 (Macias, Bartley), 15:08 (pp). Penalties-Kassian, Everett (interference), 2:12; Bender, Kamloops (roughing), 3:02; Beach, Everett (goaltender interference), 3:02; Ellerby, Kamloops (fighting), 5:01; Harty, Everett (fighting), 5:01; Dailey, Everett (holding), 5:12; Ellington, Everett (delay of game), 6:13; Dunstall, Kamloops (hooking), 7:01; Bender, Kamloops (cross-checking), 8:35; Jorgensen, Kamloops (cross-checking), 9:10; Bartley, Kamloops (cross-checking), 10:25; Sonne, Everett (hooking), 13:07; Ellington, Everett (holding), 14:49; Kassian, Kamloops (roughing-roughing-10-minute misconduct), 15:14; Stretch, Kamloops (10-minute misconduct), 15:14; Bender, Kamloops (fighting), 15:14; Dunstall, Kamloops (10-minute misconduct), 15:14; Thoring, Everett (10-minute misconduct), 15:14; Gutierrez, Everett (fighting), 15:14; Fransoo, Everett (10-minute misconduct), 15:14; Bartley, Kamloops (boarding), 16:01.

Second Period-3, Everett, Gutierrez 1, 11:25. 4, Everett, Smyke 2, 12:59 (sh). Penalties-Alic, Everett (interference), 0:45; Puustinen, Kamloops (high sticking), 1:18; Smyke, Everett (hold stick), 5:21; Stretch, Kamloops (roughing), 7:30; Fransoo, Everett (checking from behind), 12:46; Bender, Kamloops (unsportsmanlike conduct), 16:35, Gutierrez, Everett (unsportsmanlike conduct), 16:35; Bartley, Kamloops (interference), 19:44.

Third Period-5, Kamloops, Mason 1 (Delaronde), 3:13. 6, Everett, Calla 1, 19:48 (sh-en). Penalties-Bartley, Kamloops (interference), 8:03; Jorgensen, Kamloops (roughing), 8:21; Gutierrez, Everett (hooking), 18:15. Shots on goal-Kamloops 4-8-6-18. Everett 10-5-8-23. Power-play opportunities-Kamloops 1 of 8. Everett 0 of 13.

Goalies-Kamloops, Maniago 1-2-0-0 (14 shots, 11 saves), Flette (8 shots, 8 saves). Everett, Irving 4-0-0-0 (18 shots, 16 saves). A-5,588

KBF
10-01-2006, 12:11 PM
Oh pleaseeeee Constantine. Duhhh I wonder why Beach was targeted, a 16 year old kid acting like a punk mouthing everyone off and then running away to the bench. I think someone else needed his head slammed against the ice.

HAF
10-01-2006, 01:13 PM
Oh pleaseeeee Constantine. Duhhh I wonder why Beach was targeted, a 16 year old kid acting like a punk mouthing everyone off and then running away to the bench. I think someone else needed his head slammed against the ice.

Logan Stephenson helped him out in that department last year during the play offs... You'd think he would have learned then. I have no sympathy for Beach. He came out last year saying he was out to make a name for himself and he has done exactly that. Congrats Beach, You got what you wanted.

B4dotcom
10-01-2006, 02:39 PM
I agree with you HAF as I was at that game last year, but Kassian was definately above the line, would have been more appropiate to just drop gloves than jump him and throw his head in the ice 4 or 5 times. Should definately be looked at by the league.

HAF
10-01-2006, 02:56 PM
I agree with you HAF as I was at that game last year, but Kassian was definately above the line, would have been more appropiate to just drop gloves than jump him and throw his head in the ice 4 or 5 times. Should definately be looked at by the league.

I'm sure Constantine already has the tape on its way to Calgary.

scamperdog
10-01-2006, 03:29 PM
On the local broadcast last night they said that Beach was mouthing off to Kassian during the pregame warmup, and then in the game Beach challenged Kassian and the rest is history Beach turtled and ran, that is how it is being seen from here, it is clear tip fans seen it different, Beach will just have to learn to answer for what comes out of the trap, if it is with talent thats fine
if its other ways all teams will be aware of him in a hurry.

Tipped Off
10-01-2006, 11:31 PM
He has a mouth and does have to watch his back, but in this case, there was no Turtle-ing going on. Kassian jumped him from behind and slammed his head into the ground over and over. Beach probably had no idea who it was until it was over. There wasn't a chance for him to Turtle...lol. Now, that being said...maybe Kassian at some point took him up on his offer and he skated off the ice (maybe earlier in the game or maybe the shift before). I can honestly say, though, that on that particular play, he did not Turtle.