PDA

View Full Version : Pats vs Rebels

patsfan33
10-02-2006, 12:14 AM
just the odd random comments about the game...

well it was definately one of those losses where we decided to show up too late (IMO anyway)

...congrats to J-Mac :clap: and Teubert for their first regular season goals

...reffing was frustrating...i was ready to jump the boards and smoke Sutter a couple times

...after the second goal I would have welcomed an injured Rowat over a healthy Reeks\...sorry it had to be said, he made some decent saves yes, but those that got by him were questionable to say the least

...Pyett was by far the best d-man out there....Deck is starting to scare me, i don't care how "good" that pairing was last year...something needs to change, although Schira and Ross don't seem to be going to well either...move Schira or Ross up to the first line...Deck has gotta go

....we need a sniper (hate to say it, but it'd be REAL nice to have Hanzal right about now)

...we've got to set up our PP better, be more prepared...too much passing and messing around (that is if we get set up at all)

...I want Rowat back...

end of random comments

Bran
10-02-2006, 01:18 AM
well it was definately one of those losses where we decided to show up too late (IMO anyway) I'd say the final 10 minutes of the game is too late. :rolleyes:

Rowat should be back by Wednesday, right? Reekie was really getting to me tonight...4 goals on 16 shots??? He made a few big saves, but that's about it. He frustrates me, because he has the power to excel, and doesn't. I don't know what to think about him.

Pyett was playing very well tonight...and shooting! I like to see that. He should do it more often. But maybe that's just me.

The refs were getting on my nerves. Well, probably not just mine. That was pretty ridiculous.

Why couldn't Kyle Ross stay on his feet?? He was falling all over the place.

I loved Leffler's block before the guy ever shot.

Why does the zamboni always miss a strip? It drives me nuts.

What's with the new bleachers on the east side? Is that a permanent thing, or does it have something to do with the BEP concert tomorrow night? There's no room to walk in that building as it is! They should just build balconies all around and scrap the bleachers altogether.

I kinda like the hamster ball thing, that course is too short though! Make em go twice. As for the kareoke...the first guy was the only one who new the words, he deserved to win on that alone! I love how the girl was the only one who wasn't booed, even though she was probably the worst of the three,

The ice girls...that girl with the cannon needs to learn how to aim. One shirt ended up in the press box, and one ended up...in the penalty box ,maybe, or on the ice? I can't remember but it was nowhere near any people!

The new anthem girl...I forget her name...she surprised me when she started singing in french! Good luck to Crystal (Krystal?) Smith and her band at Nashville Star!

nivek_wahs
10-02-2006, 03:30 AM
My thoughts of this game are... hmmm... Do I really want to comment about this game? I really don't know what to say. I think I can say what basically put the dagger in the Pats' hearts was the Rebels first goal; just 1:03 into the first... on just the first shot. The announced attendance was 3631 (no way there was that many people there, but whatever).

Starting Line-ups:
Red Deer: Sutter-Sutter-Vandermeer Egner-Berube Reimer
Regina: Snellman-Duval-Festerling Deck-Pyett Reekie

Scratches:
Red Deer: Levarsky, Lynch, Fraser
Regina: Fraipont, Reinhart, Senseman, Brownlee, Jagow, Rowat

Scoring:
1. RDR Knackstedt, (2) (Starkov, Hanzal), 1:03
The Rebels work the puck down low and the Pats D forgets what they are doing and Reekie is looking for the puck to his left… Hanzal gets the puck behind the net and centers the puck for an easy chip in for Knackstedt.

2. RDR Hanzal, (2) (Starkov, Cann), 8:35
Stretch pass catches the Pats napping on a change and Hanzal and Starkov go in on a 2 on 1 and Hanzal is able to stuff the puck in short-side on Reekie.

3. RDR Starkov, (6) (Hanzal, Berube), 2:45 (PP)
Nothing fancy; Rebels pass the puck around in the zone and Starkov gets the puck in the high slot and lets a weak wrister fly and it beats Reekie on the glove side clean on a very weak goal.

3. RDR Henry, (1) (Starkov, Hanzal), 8:09 (PP)
Yet again nothing fancy; Rebels carry the play in the Pats zone and pass it around and it gets to Henry at the point (similar to Starkov’s goal) where he lets a pretty soft wrist shot go and it beats Reekie clean to the glove side (another weak one).

3. REG Teubert, (1) (Ross, Hulak), 12:57 (PP)
Pats work the puck around on the PP and the puck comes to the point where Teubert is able to let a snap shot go and it gets through traffic and beats a screened Reimer high blocker side under the cross bar.

3. REG MacDonald, (1) (Leffler), 14:11
The Pats are now showing life. They finally decide to start going to the net. Leffler shoots the puck in on goal and the Pats crash the net and MacDonald pots the rebound past Reimer for his first of the season.

3. REG Lind, (1) (Festerling, Schira), 19:34 (PP)
The Pats are now desperately trying to get back into this game and are controlling the puck in the Rebels zone where Schira feeds a nice pass to Lind who is standing at the right side of the Rebels crease where Lind fires the puck five-hole.

Referees: Pat Smith and Trevor Hryciuk. One word comes to mind but this is a family oriented board so I will go with HORRIBLE instead. I might get into this later.

Tuff Stuff: Nothing to report. Hardly any physicality in the game what-so-ever. Couple of decent hits but nothing of substance. No fist fights.

Goalies: Man-o-man. I will start with Reimer; he had a really strong game. For the number of shots he faced… 33… Nothing was really of quality. Nothing against the dude he played good but when 10 of the shots directed towards him are at the crest on his jersey… He will stop a majority of them. Overall a good game. Reekie on the other hand; had yet another of his famous off-games. He didn’t make the stops he needed to and let in 2 weak goals (if not 3)… 2 unscreened wrist shots from the high slot should be stopped by goalies at this level :dead: . Advantage Reimer by a landslide.

Forwards: Red Deer was led by Hanzal and Starkov (each with 4 points) but neither one was super impressive. Vandermeer, the Sutters and Knackstedt all had decent games. The Rebels had limited scoring chances and capitalized on their opportunities (I really can’t comment any further as I was being disgusted but the poor officiating and poor play by the Pats). I was keeping an eye on Hanzal much of the game and he is a decent player but not as good as I thought he was going to be :spineyes: .

Regina looked clueless out there for parts of the game. Duval, Festerling, Scott, MacDonald and Leffler were all playing hard. Others might as well just have stayed home. Duval and Festerling were flying all over the ice and had plenty of opportunities. I don’t know why the Pats brass insists on playing Eberle on a checking line, he is all offence and just didn’t seem to mesh with Lind and McDonald.

Defence: Red Deer’s D was led by Jordan Henry and PP Lamoureux (yes he was playing D with Kozyra). But yet again a very unspectacular game. They did what they needed to do to win and that’s about it.

Pats’ D looked very shaky most of the game; with the exception of Pyett and Schira who were the Pats best D by miles. Deck spent most of the game paired with Teubert and both had sub-par games. Since the regular season started Ross has been bitten by the “I can’t pass, shoot or hit” bug… I really don’t know what happened with him but the season is only 4 games old and he will turn it around. Delahey had an okay game for the time he was actually on the ice he did okay.

3 Stars:
1. Starkov (1G, 3A)
2. Hanzal (1G, 3A)
3. Teubert (1G) – If any Pat should have been a star it should have been Pyett (no points but he was everywhere)

:burningma I wasn’t going to mention the officiating any further but… after reading other forums and boards that said that Pat Smith is the WHL’s worst official… I would have to agree. He is BRUTAL. I will comment no further as people will think I’m whining. He is the worst referee that these eyes have seen in the WHL in years. :burningma

If the Pats would have played the first 50 minutes like they did the last 10… the game would have been waaaay different.

The Rebels came into Regina and played a perfect road game. Good win for the Sutter and the Rebels. Hunt and the Pats need to regroup (and hope for some good officials) for Wednesday’s tilt vs. Medicine Hat.

I hope this all makes sense as I am typing this at 3:00am (working)... Been a long day.

nivek_wahs
10-02-2006, 03:58 AM
well it was definately one of those losses where we decided to show up too late (IMO anyway) I agree with you. 10 minutes out of 60 isn't going to win too many games.

...reffing was frustrating...i was ready to jump the boards and smoke Sutter a couple timesHaha... me too :thumb:

...after the second goal I would have welcomed an injured Rowat over a healthy Reeks\...sorry it had to be said, he made some decent saves yes, but those that got by him were questionable to say the leastAmen.

...Pyett was by far the best d-man out there....Deck is starting to scare me, i don't care how "good" that pairing was last year...something needs to change, although Schira and Ross don't seem to be going to well either...move Schira or Ross up to the first line...Deck has gotta goMost of the night Teubert/Deck were a pair as was Pyett/Delahey. I don't agree Deck needs to be moved at all. Ross has been one of the bigger disapointments so far this year... after the pre-season when he was amazing... I don't know what's going on. BUT I hate to say this especially with all the Reinhart haters out there... They need him in the lineup as a stabilizing force on D. Deck, Pyett, Schira, Ross and Teubert are more "offensive minded." Every team needs a defensive presence on the blueline (just waiting to get quoted and commented on :thumb: ). Reinhart and Teubert were one of the best pairs the last 2 home games.

....we need a sniper (hate to say it, but it'd be REAL nice to have Hanzal right about now)You can make that statement 4 games into the season. Hanzal is good but he's not the Pats' saviour. Man there is 68 games left. Rowat will be back soon.

...we've got to set up our PP better, be more prepared...too much passing and messing around (that is if we get set up at all)2 for 7 isn't that bad.

...I want Rowat back...Can't argue that.

nivek_wahs
10-02-2006, 04:14 AM
Why does the zamboni always miss a strip? It drives me nuts.The zamboni thing used to bother me too. Until I realized that it was going to happen all the time and have just accepted it :thumb:

I kinda like the hamster ball thing, that course is too short though! Make em go twice. As for the kareoke...the first guy was the only one who new the words, he deserved to win on that alone! I love how the girl was the only one who wasn't booed, even though she was probably the worst of the three,The hamster ball thing is the best event since the sumo suits and puck races. But ya the race was too short. The karaoke thing sucked as a whole. I almost lost my voice Booing them ALL. Too bad they couldn't have picked people that actually knew the lyrics. If you don't know the lyrics to "Start Me Up" why even bother participating to win Rolling Stones tickets anyway. The whole karaoke thing is stupid. :dead:

witness
10-02-2006, 09:13 AM
The game was frustrating to watch. The refereeing was very inconsistent, but not the reason why the Pats lost. Goaltending needs to be better. It is hard to pin the loss on Reekie, but they need more from that position. In the end, you make your own breaks. The Pats didn't have enough hustle to make anything happen. Until the last 10 minutes of the game. Even if they had played half the game they would have won.

Both Deck and N. Ross need to take a game in the stands. Deck was terrible and maybe needs a game to regroup. N. Ross has not played well at all this year. I am a big fan of his and think that he will be a star in this league. But, he needs to get some confidence back. He is not doing the things he did last year that made him successful. The best Pat player and the most consistent was Pyett (in my mind).

There are a couple of things that I don't understand:
1. Scratching 3 of 4 19 year olds.
2. Why the Pats do not forecheck hard on the slower defencemen. They back off to a neutral zone trap. When they pressured the d-men, they turn over a ton of possession.
3. Why the Pats can't win a faceoff in their own zone this year.

Number_4
10-02-2006, 11:22 AM
Goaltending needs to be better. It is hard to pin the loss on Reekie, but they need more from that position. In the end, you make your own breaks. The Pats didn't have enough hustle to make anything happen. Until the last 10 minutes of the game. Even if they had played half the game they would have won.

Wow, I came on here this morning going to ask everyone what has happened with Reekie, and it sounds like everyone is about as confused as I am. I dont know if he is having trouble getting into the groove, or the pressure of potentially loosing a starting position is getting to him, but nights like last night are not acceptable for his age in this league. Look for Rowat to start as soon as he is well again.

I actually made it to the game last night, and I did notice a few things...

I find it hard to believe that the pats didnt wake up until there was only 10 mins left... they had plenty of shots, just weak ones that their goaltender was able to stop (unlike reekie it seemed). The whole team needs to realize that a hockey game does not get won in the last few mins, although they did come back to make the score decent. Any uninformed person would assume it was a good tight game.

Pyett- he really impressed me. I havent had a chance to see much of the team so far this season, and he by far, stood out as a great player. He has obviously worked hard in the offseason.

I have to agree with Kevin, we have too many offensive defense players right now. Although its always nice to get a few goals from your d, I would like to see more stay-at-home types on the ice. Less risky.

Pats girls... what the hell?!?! Im still wondering what the hell is going on... cheerleaders in the stands are one thing, chicks with skates and tshirt cannons is another... especially when she cant aim.

Powerplay... I think my brother said it best when he summed it up in two (one?) words... deja-vu. It just seems like no matter who is on the ice, what season it is, we have trouble moving the puck, getting it to the right end of the ice, and then, if we do manage that, we dont shoot. 2 for 7 isnt that bad on the night, but several of the powerplays we just couldnt do anything.

Keep in mind that this is the first game i've made in the regular season, and I havent seen much. It just seems to me that there was all this hype about the team this year, and now we are struggling to live up to it.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
10-02-2006, 05:07 PM
The pats didnt play very well for most of the night, but they did show they were the better overall team near the end of the game. If we played like that the whole game, we would have probably won.

I was extremely impressed and surprised with pyett last game, it was the best game ive seen him play. He showed some good skating ability, and aggressiveness to getting an open shot. Best player for the pats. Teubert played great too, played with effort, and was one of the bright spots out there the whole game. Schira didnt play bad, but he was basically a nonfactor, same with delahey. Ross didnt really seem into the game. I know this wasnt the case, but he looked like he wasnt really trying out there. Not a good game for him at all. Deck has not impressed me either, with his lack of aggressiveness. He needs to use his size alot more.

Something else made me think too. It kills me to say this, but we need reinhart. Its almost like he is a good luck charm for the pats, even though he isnt exactly everyones favorite player. Maybe he is a good leader in the locker room, and thats something we need. Also the fact he is a defensive minded D-man, and we need them too.

On offence, Nobody really stood out for the pats in the first 50 minutes. Sure, we got shots on goal, but they were just right to reimer. Reimer is a good goalie, but we were basically padding the guys stats if we sit there shooting the puck at his chest. Our offence didnt really do too awful. The overagers showed good hustle, and duval did as well. The 4th line is what got the pats back in the game though. Leffler, Lind and Macdonald were pretty good out there. The rest were basically non factors, not bad, but not helping much. After the 2-0 lead, everyone was screwing up and falling apart, until the teubert goal, which sparked us with momentum, but sadly it was anoter too little too late game.

What really opened my eyes is watching hanzel and starkov, who reminded me of both our euros last year, but to a lesser degree. They were the driving force for the rebels that game, and if not for them, they might have not won the game. You could see we missed the european style to our game, like we had last year. We desperatly need a replacement for Kalus. I suggest before the trade deadline that we pick up a sniper. Perhaps its early to suggest someone, but if deck doesnt pick up his performance, it would make sense to deal him, and maybe something else for a sniper.

Reekie wasnt impressive this game, probably just ANOTHER off game. I think that if this keeps up, Rowat will be the go to guy. He was solid in preseason, and out played reekie, so it only makes sense to give him the chance.

But the reffing needs to desperatly improve. That was getting ridiculous, the guys were fallign down by themselves, and we got 2 minutes each time. The snellman 2 minute boarding changed to a game misconduct was bull too. I hope smith never refs here again, the guy was pissing me off all night. The drunk red deer fans infront of me werent helping either when they started cheering on smith.

Hope that theres improvement come next game. There is still 68 games left, and i doubt they will all be this bad.

Bran
10-02-2006, 06:01 PM
Something else made me think too. It kills me to say this, but we need reinhart. Its almost like he is a good luck charm for the pats, even though he isnt exactly everyones favorite player. Maybe he is a good leader in the locker room, and thats something we need. Also the fact he is a defensive minded D-man, and we need them too.

I heard variations of that so many times last night. I don't mind Reinhart so much...for whatever reason, it seems like everyone else steps it up when he's playing. There's gotta be something there that we're not seeing. Whether it's leadership or something else, I'm not sure. For as much as people put him down though, the Pats are, for the most part, a better team when he's on the ice.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
10-02-2006, 06:15 PM
The really scary thing is that he will most likely be an overager next year, which is supposed to be the year we have been building up for.

patsfan33
10-02-2006, 08:27 PM
Rowat should be back by Wednesday, right?

sorry to say, but as far as I know the kid isn't even dressing (again).... :confused: