PDA

View Full Version : How will Seto DO??

Blades 4 Life!
10-03-2006, 05:27 PM
In your mind how do you think Seto will do this year??

westbeach55
10-04-2006, 12:45 AM
it in my opinion would be stupid when you have a player of his calibar and you are going to keep him when your not going anywhere. build for the future especially what you could get in return

Tiger Trauma
10-04-2006, 01:02 AM
The radio feed from the whl webcast in saskatoon kept cutting out, and was barely audible for the most part. I tuned into the tigers radio feed, and during the intermission Bob ridley interviewed Blades GM Lorne Molleken (sp). He said the phone has been ringing off the hook, and hinted that they are looking to deal him. (which is really no suprise)

nivek_wahs
10-04-2006, 01:06 AM
it in my opinion would be stupid when you have a player of his calibar and you are going to keep him when your not going anywhere. build for the future especially what you could get in returnI agree. In building for the future Setoguchi would be a key part in that process. He could command a lot in return, the Blades could end up with some top end prospects and high draft picks. I say trade him and get something in return as he won't be back next year.

nivek_wahs
10-04-2006, 03:58 AM
Setoguchi traded? (http://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/news/current/n_empty.php?sid=1300167)

Appears on the verge of being dealt...

loudi94
10-04-2006, 07:23 AM
Setoguchi traded? (http://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/news/current/n_empty.php?sid=1300167)

Appears on the verge of being dealt...

"One source, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said the Cougars will add Setoguchi, 19, from the Saskatoon Blades without giving up a current roster player.

Said to be going the other way are list player Andrew Cherniwchan, a 17-year-old from Hinton, Alta., a third-round bantam choice in 2007, and the rights to North Vancouver defenceman Stefan Elliott, a 15-year-old who was taken 12th overall by the Cougars in May’s bantam draft."

I'm surprised if that's the best offer out there.

East Watch
10-04-2006, 08:51 AM
If the cougars only have to give up a pair of guys who are not even good enough to be roster players, that is a steal and I to would be surprised if that were the deal. Cherniwchan is 17 and there is likely a reason why he isn't at camp and the Blades have enough borderline guys already. Stefan Elliott doesn't seem like a sure thing either due to the fact he doesn't want to report and the Blades had that a some years ago with Gabe Gauthier and maybe Elliott won't be any good anyways.

GOBLADESGO#3 (among other aliases)
10-04-2006, 10:12 AM
No no no!!! that is a terrible trade and it shouldnt happen, i spent all summer waiting for a good trade to happen with the Jays, insted they trade Hillinbrand and Chulk to the Giants for.....a rookie pitcher, the same thing isnt happening this time around i am not settling for this peice of crap trade, we need a good draft pick and one of two solid young players not lets say 2 20 year olds that have 3 career goals combined!!!!, im not settling for that crap they better not do that or i am finding a new favorite WHL team (chilliwak) :groovy:

shushu
10-04-2006, 10:48 AM
one bad trade after another , and get ready for another crap year of hockey.thats our theme here in lethbridge . you should get at least a 1st round and agood 16 or 17 year old for him to make it worth it . so like i said LET HOPE NOT. GOOD LUCK.................................... :thumb:

10-04-2006, 10:55 AM
Well thats exactly what i mean i think this team needs a 1st rounder and a 16 and/or 17 year old and they want him to go to Prince George for that crap, thats discusting and im walking to Chilliwak right away.

westbeach55
10-04-2006, 10:56 AM
No no no!!! that is a terrible trade and it shouldnt happen, i spent all summer waiting for a good trade to happen with the Jays, insted they trade Hillinbrand and Chulk to the Giants for.....a rookie pitcher, the same thing isnt happening this time around i am not settling for this peice of crap trade, we need a good draft pick and one of two solid young players not lets say 2 20 year olds that have 3 career goals combined!!!!, im not settling for that crap they better not do that or i am finding a new favorite WHL team (chilliwak) :groovy:

so keep seto and get nothing in return he won't be back next year so why not get something for him or would you rather watch him this year and lose him next and have a crap team (another 7 win season) you have to think of the future don't just give him away but he needs to be traded for some youth

Sput
10-04-2006, 10:58 AM
Here is the news release...posted on the Cougar board:

From: http://www.pgcougars.com/articles/t...lcome+Setoguchi

Oct 4 2006

Cougars Welcome Setoguchi by PG Cougars

The Prince George Cougars have announced the acquisition of 19 year old RW Devin Setoguchi of the Saskatoon Blades in exchange for Stefan Elliot and a 1st round Bantam selection in 2008. Elliot was the Cougars 12th overall selection in 2006 WHL Bantam Draft.

Setoguchi, a 6’0, 195lbs. product of Taber, AB, was the San Jose Sharks 8th overall selection in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft. Setoguchi, who registered 36 goals, 47 assists, 83 points, and +17 rating in 65 games last season with the Blades, was the WHL’s player of the month in November 2005 and was a member of Team WHL at the 2005 Canada/Russia Challenge.

“Acquiring Devin Setoguchi at this early juncture in the season makes this a very exciting day for our franchise. Devin will fit in extremely well with the talent and depth on our forward lines”, states Cougars GM Dallas Thompson. “He will be heavily counted on to help our team achieve our goals”, finishes Thompson.

Setoguchi is expected to be in the Cougars line-up when they face off with the Swift Current Broncos on Tuesday, October 10 at the CN Centre.

Devin Setoguchi career stats:

Season Team GP G A PTS +/- PIM
2003-04 WHL Season Saskatoon Blades 66 13 18 31 -22 53
2004-05 WHL Season Saskatoon Blades 69 33 31 64 20 34
2005-06 WHL Season Saskatoon Blades 65 36 47 83 17 69

Playoff Stats
Season Team GP G A PTS +/- PIM

westbeach55
10-04-2006, 11:05 AM
you pretty much got two first round picks that will be with the blades for years as they can build. It would be stupid to expect anymore than that all you think about is this year and watching seto but your not thinking of the future at all but maybe you like watching 7 win seasons

10-04-2006, 11:38 AM
so keep seto and get nothing in return he won't be back next year so why not get something for him or would you rather watch him this year and lose him next and have a crap team (another 7 win season) you have to think of the future don't just give him away but he needs to be traded for some youth

Ok your not really getting what im saying, i wqant Seto to go to a team that actually has something good to offer this is the best that Mollleken can do?? he said the phones were ringing off the hook, and this is what he does, its the Jays season all over again.

10-04-2006, 11:44 AM
And plus we already gave up Kyle Klym to the Cougars and now we give up Setoguchi for.... a 2008 1st round draft pick can anybody tell me what overall tis draft pick is, are luck the cougars will finish first and we will get a 22nd overall pick because they now have Seto and Kyle Klym yayyy, and Stefan Elliot who i guess looks to be a great player in the future, i guess this is what is right but still one more player that we can actually use this year and not in 2056 would be nice to a 12th overall pick.....whatever i just dont think this trade is right and i know for a fact that the Blades could have done better, but that is just my opinion

westbeach55
10-04-2006, 11:54 AM
no other trade would have been any better than this for the blades and the blades released klym and any team could have claimed him it just happens the cougars did

Swando
10-05-2006, 10:19 PM
And plus we already gave up Kyle Klym to the Cougars and now we give up Setoguchi for.... a 2008 1st round draft pick can anybody tell me what overall tis draft pick is, are luck the cougars will finish first and we will get a 22nd overall pick because they now have Seto and Kyle Klym yayyy, and Stefan Elliot who i guess looks to be a great player in the future, i guess this is what is right but still one more player that we can actually use this year and not in 2056 would be nice to a 12th overall pick.....whatever i just dont think this trade is right and i know for a fact that the Blades could have done better, but that is just my opinion

I think that the Blades were smart in asking for a "2008" 1st round pick vs a 2007. The Cougars with the addition of Seto will be very strong and may finish 1st over-all if everything went according to plans. If they received a 2007 pic then it would be a low,low or near bottom pick. They will be losing alot of their top players next year as they are 19 and 20 so they will finish near the bottom in the following year giving the Blades a much much higher draft pick

Trav
10-06-2006, 07:11 AM
I'm sure now that Molleken got the best deal he could with what he wanted to get. I dunno what the teams were offering but I'm thinking that guys like James Wright or some of the other top 16's in the league right now werent available to the Blades otherwise they would've went for them I'm sure. Look at the Yellowhorn deal. All Lethbridge got for him and Kaye were two draft picks and heck they could be both be back with the Americans next season. The Blades did a lot better then the Hurricanes did as they get two top prospects for a guy that wont be in the league next season.

howley
10-06-2006, 10:45 AM
If two first round picks weren't enough. What exaclty would of been the ideal trade for Seto in everyone's mind? Fact is I think whoever they traded for, roster player or not. You guys would have been pissed. So what would of been the ideal trade or the trade you were expecting.

East Watch
10-06-2006, 01:42 PM
He is in his last season in the WHL, that is a fact. I player of Setoguchi's caliber may have led the Blades to the playoffs only to lose in round 1 very likely. However, the Blades could still make the playoffs with the current roster because the East Division is so weak this year with other teams such as Swift Current and Prince Albert not looking very strong (on paper) because that is all we can really go by right now. Trading Setoguchi got the Blades perhaps one of the best 15 yr old defenseman in western Canada who was the BC Minor Hockey Player of the year last season and a 2008 first round draft pick which has a very good chance at being an top five pick for Saskatoon that year.

The Blades will have Stefan Elliott for likely 4 years when he makes the club next year and there first rounder will more than likely be an impact player when he comes to the league years down the road. This really added tonnes of depth for the Blades for years and years down the round while Setoguchi only would've played another 55 games or so in a Blades uniform anyway. Trades like this are how you stay competitive year in and year out down the road. If the latest drafts are of any indication for first round talent and think we'll be all very excited to see ZAHN, BERG, ELLIOTT, FUNK anchoring what will easily be the most talented blueline in 15 yrs the Blades have seen coming up in the next couple years.

Sure the Blades could've gotten a proven 18 yr old with average ability and a guy that would score 20ish but is that really what we want?

Tidball
10-06-2006, 01:43 PM
I'm sure now that Molleken got the best deal he could with what he wanted to get. I dunno what the teams were offering but I'm thinking that guys like James Wright or some of the other top 16's in the league right now werent available to the Blades otherwise they would've went for them I'm sure. Look at the Yellowhorn deal. All Lethbridge got for him and Kaye were two draft picks and heck they could be both be back with the Americans next season. The Blades did a lot better then the Hurricanes did as they get two top prospects for a guy that wont be in the league next season.

Lethbridge is one of my favorite teams with Yellowhorn being my favorite player in the WHL. I thought that was an incredibly stupid move on Lethbridge's behalf. YellowHorn will crack the top 10 in scoring. If i was a Hurricane fan, i would be extremely pissed off.

East Watch
10-06-2006, 02:09 PM
Well the Hurricanes did get a 1st round pick but that is hardly any consollation for a team that could battle this year with their young guns. Yellowhorn does have a chance to return as a 20 yr old in this league as well. However you must consider locker room chemistry in the equation too. Yellowhorn might not of fit into the team concept of things and may not have been well liked amongst his peers and when you have that on your team it doesn't matter how much talent you have it will be worse off keeper that player. My opinion is that team play and chemistry will beat talent anyday and I think Lethbridge may actually be a better team for it as hard as that is to believe.