PDA

View Full Version : Credit the Giants with a positive PR move!

scrunt
10-03-2006, 07:46 PM
I have to give the Giants credit for what I think is a great PR move, and no, I am not being sarcastic.

I was pleasantly surpised to see official Giants' logo pucks being used during the warmups for the recent games. As usual, a few went up into the stands, and I was able to get a cool souvenir. Much better than the normal blank pucks. :thumb:

It may not seem like much, but it made an impression on me, and the earlybird kids certainly noticed! (no, I did not wrestle it from the hands of a small kid, either ;) ).

Of course, I kept the puck, and I took it to the office and put it on my desk. A couple of people who did not already know I was a big Giants fan asked about the puck, and I gave them my "unbelievable entertainment value, better spirit than the Canucks, winning team" spiel. Great PR for the team. (Beats the hell out of the oversized bookmark they gave out on opening night: it was in the garbage 15 seconds after I got it, and it will never become a topic of conversation where I promote the WHL to an unbeliever.)

There is nothing else that looks like a hockey puck (except a Hostess Ding Dong), they last for ever, they are an enduring icon of Canadian culture, and you can even play hockey with them! How about that!

Several of us here recently ranted about what we saw as poor Giants PR moves, and although some of those complaints have been tagged as simply being greedy or wanting something for nothing, I think they had more to do with the concept that (a) if the Giants choose to do something, they should do it properly, and (b) small things can go a long way. Certainly that has been my point of view, as most of my "suggestions" in the past were more along the lines of having the Giants do a few small things to show fan appreciation rather than just asking for free stuff. You could call me selfish for happily taking a free puck when I'm too cheap to buy one from the store, but that's not the point here.

Anyway, I guess my point is that small things can make a big difference. I am willing to ackowledge the Giants when they do something that I think is worthy of thanks, and this is one of those times.

Thanks for listening.

Knuckles Muldoon
10-03-2006, 07:50 PM
Well, that's one. :clown:

rinkrat
10-03-2006, 07:55 PM
You could call me selfish for happily taking a free puck when I'm too cheap to buy one from the store.

There's nothing like catching a puck,or a baseball at a game,so long as its not in the melon. :dead:
I got a couple Top Prospects pucks from training camp last year!
Just don't dive out and catch a puck that is in play,like that Bartman guy at the Cubs game. haha :thumb:

scrunt
10-03-2006, 08:04 PM
There's nothing like catching a puck,or a baseball at a game,so long as its not in the melon. :dead:
I got a couple Top Prospects pucks from training camp last year!
Just don't dive out and catch a puck that is in play,like that Bartman guy at the Cubs game. haha :thumb:

No hope of catching one, what with the front row seats, and netting above us!

dondo
10-04-2006, 05:56 PM
but some do drop into our laps from time to time :thumb: (although admittedly it helped having the crutch so I could pull out the netting a bit to allow it to drop. ;)

I have to agree with scrunt that something seemingly so small can be the snowball which begins rolling down the hill --- nice souvenirs for those of us watching the warm-ups -- its a start

Beaner
10-04-2006, 06:41 PM
I caught one once right in the side of the head...

Sad part is I didnt even get the puck as some other "person" scooted over and grabbed it.

rinkrat
10-04-2006, 07:01 PM
I caught one once right in the side of the head...

Sad part is I didnt even get the puck as some other "person" scooted over and grabbed it.

That explains alot....just kidding,Beaner
Was that at a Giants game?
I hit a fan when I was playing Midget in Kelowna,felt really bad... :(

Beaner
10-04-2006, 07:15 PM
Yeah it was.

I sat in a different seat and got beaned, no pun intended :laugh:, and have not moved from my aisle seat since.

The seat right next to me has had about 4 pucks over the years come whipping by at head height. I call it the hospital seat. LOL.