PDA

View Full Version : Pats vs. Tigers (Oct. 4)

nivek_wahs
10-04-2006, 06:30 AM
My early morning "Keys to the game" (basically just random thoughts that might be keys for the Pats) for the Pats are:

-Must play more than 10 minutes of the game or they will be in a bad situation.

-PP must be better... with an almost guaranteed 10 PP chances per game they have to start capitalizing on their opportunities.

-Cannot give up the first goal on the first shot against.

-Have to be able to neutralize the Tigers speed with their own (both teams are fast).

-Have to have more consistent goaltending.

Anyone else with pre-game thoughts? Expectations?

patsfan33
10-04-2006, 09:07 AM
-Cannot give up the first goal on the first shot against.

-Have to have more consistent goaltending.

*cough*reekie*cough*

anyway....any effort put forth that out does the first 50 minutes of last game will be appreciated

this should be the last game Rowat is not dressed for :clap:

and word has it that there may be a couple rare (although not suprising as of late) healthy scratches tonight :confused:

if we come out pumped and motivated, this game is ours

and slightly off topic...anyone heading to Toon Town Saturday night?

patsdude114
10-04-2006, 11:33 AM
well i for 1 have not been to impressed yet with Reekie oppps or do i mean Leekie

patsfan33
10-04-2006, 01:12 PM
I stand corrected: Rowat has upgraded to ridin the pine..we may get to see the kid after all

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
10-04-2006, 04:27 PM
and slightly off topic...anyone heading to Toon Town Saturday night?
I know I wont be, I will be nursing a killer hangover after friday :dead:. Ill be sure to catch the game on the radio though. :thumb:

...Anyways.. Im sure that we will be fine in net tonight. Reekie usually bounces back after he plays a bad game, Im not worried about that.

I just hope Pyett carries his great performance that he had against red deer. I would also like to see deck be more aggressive this game. He is a big strong guy with good size, it frustrates me to see him let guys get by him like last game. It would be nice to see schira and ross become factors this game too.

The power play has been absolutely terrible this season, but for their sakes, I hope Huntsie talked... i mean yelled some sense into them. It also wouldnt kill them to make more shots that arent directly at the goalies chest either. We got some accurate shooters in guys like Festy and Ross, and Ive seen some really tight shortside goals from our guys last year, so I know they are capable.

I expect a strong game from the boys tonight. They usually play the tougher teams alot harder, and it will probably be a fast, high scoring game tonight.
My prediction is 6-4 Regina.

Tiger Trauma
10-04-2006, 05:07 PM
looking at the game predictions thread 43 votes so far
22 for the tigers
21 for the pats

Pretty much 50-50, from the fans point of view

(after some arrogant jerk's vote)

This will be our 3rd game in 4 nights, should be a fast intense battle. I'll be watching via webcast. I believe everybody is healthy on our side except daine todd, who has had shoulder problems

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
10-04-2006, 09:58 PM
Well... tonight was just as great as last night, except tonight, we got to enjoy the dynamic duo of Mercer and Wieler do EVEN WORSE than Smith and friends did in the red deer game. I am almost convinced that there isnt a god, and its only 5 games in the season.

The score might suggest that the pats were having an offnight, or that the hat is jsut that much better than us. But thats not it at all. Infact the pats and tigers were basically even in the first 20 minutes.

It seemed like it was going to be the game of the month for the pats. Two great teams, with similar playing styles taking on each other in what is argueably the top 2 teams in the eastern conf. The game started off with a good start from both sides. Pyett carried out his performance from last night, and played marvelous(i dont usually say marvelous). This game N.Ross was in the stands surprisingly, and Rowat was dressed, but was backup. Reekie seemed to do decent, or at least an improvement from last night. The period ended at a 2-1 score, with medicine hat leading the game, but both teams playing even. Crappy reffing as usual by now, lots of missed and bad calls, but nothing new.

Then the second period started

In 7 minutes, there were 6 penalties, and god knows how many 5 on 3s against the pats. The stupidest calls imaginable, and no signs of improvement. 4 PP goals so far from medicine hat, to one pat goal, which was actually a beauty by hulak. The pats began to slow down, and lull through the game. Snellman played absolutely awful, running into our own players, and making stupid plays. I hope he isnt trying to get traded or something, because he made some pretty bad errors.

Around the 3rd period, the pats seemed like they just wanted to get the gameover with. I, in my new comforatble seat in section E, almsot fell asleep during the last 10 minutes, only to have the annoying voice of my little cousin keeping me awake. At around 5 minutes I left, with a feeling of disgust for the game, and at the time, the league. I listened in on the radio to find out duval scored a goal at the last minute. At least they ended the game on a good note, to an otherwise sh***y game.

On the positive side, I must say that I thought our first line played really well tonight (leffler, Hulak, Ross..Deck,Pyett). Pyett played great, and deck showed some aggressiveness, and some good puck handling moves. Also used the body on what I would probably dub as a nominee to the best hit of the game. Solid, yet clean. Festerling hustled out there, but made alot of stupid plays. Had a great hit at the begginning though, which is good for the 2nd smallest player on the team. Berny, Delahey, and lind had off games. Snellman played terrible. Macdonald, Eberle, Schira, Reinhart (not kidding), Mcdonald had fairly good games.

I wasnt really watching medicine hat, only the star players like Russell, Bendfeld, Helm, Schlemko, and Rumpel, who were the top players for the hat tonight, so I will rely on kevin to do the rest.

Overall the pats played well, for the most part, but you cant really blaming them for stinking up the joint in the 3rd. Its only the begginning of the season, so nothing to get too worked up about. But hey, at least the ref had a good game.

Fight Guy
10-04-2006, 10:17 PM
I didnt even read ^ that post...and I will only comment on a few things.

The Pats had a good first period I thought, and I like that Festerling was throwing his weight arond and Lind had a GREAT game. I also enjoyed watching Snellman take out MH's back up on the bench. Im sure the player on the ice is glad he was missed...lol. Snellman reminds me of Tootoo alot...except bigger...and not quite as accurate...lol.

The next thing...the 2nd period killed any flow of the game for the Pats

Was not impressed with Reekie at all. Some of those he should have had. And if Deck keeps playing the way he is, he is going to be the next Schlenker and be the next 20yr defensive captain to be traded away. He is making big mistakes and the youngsters are showing him up badly. Atleast I thought so anyway.

And Pyett...WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?!!! He is shooting like crazy! I noticed he wasnt paired with Deck the whole game either. Im just glad he has decided to use his wicked shot again.

And how about Keetleys glove save out of nowhere? That was quite nice I must say.

But that is all. Im not even gonna comment on other events of the game...just too frustrating.

Fight Guy
10-04-2006, 10:20 PM
On the positive side, I must say that I thought our first line played really well tonight (leffler, Hulak, Ross..Deck,Pyett). Pyett played great, and deck showed some aggressiveness, and some good puck handling moves. Also used the body on what I would probably dub as a nominee to the best hit of the game. Solid, yet clean. Festerling hustled out there, but made alot of stupid plays. Had a great hit at the begginning though, which is good for the 2nd smallest player on the team. Berny, Delahey, and lind had off games. Snellman played terrible. Macdonald, Eberle, Schira, Reinhart (not kidding), Mcdonald had fairly good games.
I had to go back and read...haha...and this stood out to me.

Like I already said, I wasnt impressed with Deck at all. And I can agree...Snellman didnt have a good game, but I think he did get the hit of the game...on Swystun along the center glass between the benches. That looked like it hurt. Ha, and it turns out that Swystun is a relative of ours.

patsfan33
10-05-2006, 12:12 AM
wow...i just don't know what to say

i know we're better than how we've been playing...i just don't know what is going through those kids heads out there...we have never looked so sloppy...like really, how many times did our boys run into one another :confused: ....our shot clock count wasn't as good as it could have been, we need to fire the puck more AND hit the net

I knew N.Ross was sitting out earlier today and couldn't help but note how many ppl were suprised when they announced his scratch at the game..a couple gasps... a few ppl thinking he got send down..slightly amusing..but anyway, hopefully it was a small reminder that if you want to play you better come ready to play....IMO...Bernhardt's next in line

i called for Rowat pretty much after the first goal, from what i heard...Reeks would have had to have been carried off on a stretcher before he would have been replaced...then again its not entirely Reek's fault either...we sat in the box for pretty much the entire second period and ,with the exception of
Pyett, our blueliners were practically useless....nonetheless, that kid is on the edge of my nerves

third period ovservations: people leaving their seats and us getting continually stripped of the puck...oh ya and that goal at the 20 minute mark...ALOT OF GOOD THAT DID!

If anyone deserves any kudos from me tonight, however, i gotta dish em out to Hulak ,Pyett and Snellman..with respect to Snellman, ya his puck skills aren't the greatest but what can i say... the kid kept me entertained tonight

Hopefully my drive up to Toon Town won't be completely useless...i'm eager for Rowats return and I'm interested to see how N.Ross's play will respond in the next game with respect to being benched...here's hopin for a W on Saturday :thumb:

Bran
10-05-2006, 12:47 AM
At least the refs had a good game.

Other than that...after the first, I figured the Pats could at least stay in it, make a decent effort and maybe be rewarded with a win despite the reffing. It was like the life slowly drained out of them and by the end...well, I almost fell asleep in the third (seriously!). Maybe all those ridiculous penalties (and the MH powerplay goals that resulted) in the first took the wind out of their sails, and they gave up? I really don't know what to say about it.

Pleeeeeeeeeease tell me Rowat's playing Saturday.

I don't know...some of you won't agree, but I don't think Deck had a bad game. He's surely had worse. Festerling was good in the 1st, and just kinda faded away in the 2nd and 3rd. What happened to him?

I like that Pyett's shooting...I just wish he wouldn't hold on to the puck so long sometimes. He's got a perfect shot lined up and by the time he takes it there are guys all over.

nivek_wahs
10-05-2006, 01:55 AM
I'm just too frustrated to go into too much detail right now... but I am sure I will find something to say as I think about this loss.

Special teams were the key in tonight's game and Medicine Hat were able to take advantage of their PP. The Pats on the other hand... ick for a PP. The announced crowd was 3154 (ya right).

Starting Line-ups:
Medicine Hat: Stevens-Swystun-Dorsett Schlemko-Baldwin Keetley
Regina: Hulak-Ross-Leffler Deck-Pyett Reekie

Scratches:
Medicine Hat: Provkin, Todd, Lowry, Hickmont
Regina: N. Ross, Brownlee, Scott

Scoring:
1. M.H Ennis, (2) (Russell, Rumpel), 10:38 (PP)
5-on-3 PP for Medicine Hat: point shot by Russell is stopped by Reekie who kicks out a small reboud and Ennis pounces on the loose puck and fires it home.

1. M.H Swystun, (4) (Russell, Dorsett), 11:34 (PP)
Yet another 5-on-3 for the Tigers, weak point shot (looked to be going wide) by Dorsett tipped re-directed by Swystun for a beauty deflection.

1. REG Hulak, (5) (Pyett, Ross), 13:59 (PP)
Pyett rips a shot wide right of the goal and the puck bounces out to Hulak who is there to bury the puck past a sprawling Keetley.

2. M.H Stevens, (4) (Dorsett), 3:11 (PP)
Tigers passing the puck around the zone and the Pats can't keep up to cover and Stevens is able to beat Reekie 5-hole (yet another PP goal).

2. M.H Bosch, (2) (Helm), 6:56 (PP)
Yet another 5-on-3, Tigers able to force the Pats deep into their own zone and Bosch is able to bury a rebound.

3. M.H Undershute, (4) (Helm, Schlemko), 10:45 (SH)
Puck is stolen at the Tiger line by Helm who dishes to Undershute who takes the puck in 1-on-1 with a Pats defender (Teubert I think) and rips a shot top shelf just under the crossbar for a short-handed goal.

3. REG Duval, (2) (Festerling), 20:00 (PP)
Pats end the game on a PP and are able to get pressure and Duval beats Keetley glove-side as the buzzer sounds.

Referees: Mercer and Wieler... AWFUL.

Tuff Stuff: Nothing to report. Snellman had a couple of decent hits... I still don't understand how he gets a charging penalty for hitting nothing but the boards and ending up in the Tigers bench... Thanks Mercer. No fights no rough stuff (snore).

Goalies: Reekie didn't play that bad for the Pats. 3 5-on-3 goals are killer... I will leave him alone. Keetley wasn't spectacular, but didn't need to be.

Forwards: I can't really comment on this as most of the game either team was on the PP (or PK). I think in the Pats' case, their top guns were tired out by the time they attempted to kill off the Tigers PP's. K. Ross was the Pats best forward. The Tigers rolled 4 lines for the most part. Stevens, Dorsett, Helm were their best.

Defence: Nothing great about either team's D. Russell for the Tigers had a solid game as did Schlemko and Baldwin. Pyett was the best defender for the Pats (the guy played at least 30 minutes and played at least one shift or more with all of the Pats' other d-men).

3 Stars:
1. Russell
2. Dorsett
3. Helm
... All were deserving of the stars.

Tiger Trauma
10-05-2006, 03:27 AM
I thought the first ten minutes or so the pats were playing really well, untill that string of penalties. At first I thought the snellman missed hit was kind of funny. If his feet didnt leave the ice he wouldnt have gone head first into the tigers bench, and wouldn't have gotten a penalty. But I liked that play where two pats knocked each other over, even funnier :laugh: jk

I didn't think the refs were that bad.(I'll probably get flamed for this)

The only questionable call to regina in my opinion was the reinhart tripping, where i thought helm caught a rut in the ice.

I reviewed all the calls in the archive.(Bored on a wednesday :spineyes: )

1.reinhart flipped the puck over the glass
2.snellman left his feet into the tigers bench, might have clipped ennis
3.Pyett checked from behind ??? into the boards
4.Reinhart took down bosch in front in a mini scramble, (didnt have the puck)
5.reinharts third penalty was tough to judge, but it looked Like helm caught an edge just as he was trying to go wide.

6.After snellman turned the puck over at the blueline he gave a big hook to ennis, and tripped him up, as he was looking for a rebound/pass out front
7. Leffler gave 2-3 little hooks to a tiger player along the boards.
8. Pyett off the face off gave undershute 2 or 3 whacks on the shin pads
9. Schira and another pat defensman took down grant as he was on a partial break.
10.Lind gave a slash to the feet of helm?? i think rushing up ice

All these are penalties within the new whl rules, with the expection of maybe Reinharts third one(unlucky for the pats). I think regina wasn't adjusted to the "new" rules for this game. Take away penalties 2,4,7,8,10, and you have a game where the pats could have been ahead. I do remember seeing a play or two which could have been tiger penalties.

I was watching on the webcast, and can't see anything that happens behind the play. Overall I thought the pats were pretty physical, and could skate. Its evident you have a good team there, even with a 5-1 loss. Next meeting should be a lot closer on October 25th!

nivek_wahs
10-05-2006, 04:28 AM
I didn't think the refs were that bad.(I'll probably get flamed for this)

The only questionable call to regina in my opinion was the reinhart tripping, where i thought helm caught a rut in the ice.

I reviewed all the calls in the archive.(Bored on a wednesday :spineyes: )You reviewed all the calls... okay I get ya... justifying the penalties. But there were a lot of missed calls by the 2 referees... Balaberda called the too many men call (thanks to the crowd)... All I want is consistency. The Tigers (Rebels the previous game) would do the exact same thing as the Pats and there was no calls made... That peeves me the most. I won't argue the reffing from the game but I will stick to my guns and say it was AWFUL.

I was watching on the webcast, and can't see anything that happens behind the play. Overall I thought the pats were pretty physical, and could skate. Its evident you have a good team there, even with a 5-1 loss. Next meeting should be a lot closer on October 25th!The Pats do have a decent team but the PP killed them 3 (or 4) five-on-three's of more than a minute each does kill a team. The Tigers capitalized on them and I have to give them credit. And o ya the final was 5-2.

nivek_wahs
10-05-2006, 04:42 AM
The score might suggest that the pats were having an offnight, or that the hat is jsut that much better than us. But thats not it at all. Infact the pats and tigers were basically even in the first 20 minutes. I agree. Also the Pats can play with the Tigers 5-on-5... but as soon as they are down a man they were done, Medicine Hat's PP is outstanding. The Pats PK is good one shift then bad the next shift... I will not mention the 5-on-3 PK as Festerling and K.Ross were pretty much the only forwards out for them.

Snellman played absolutely awful, running into our own players, and making stupid plays. I hope he isnt trying to get traded or something, because he made some pretty bad errors.I almost agree with you there... In the fact Snellman played a bad game. I think that the Pats are using him in the wrong role. He is far from a sniper and the Pats seem to be using him on a top line. He plays good as a checker long the likes of Lind, McDonald (Scott, MacDonald). I think they are giving him too much leeway (Pats coaches)... he runs guys and gets penalties, okay but SIT HIM for a while. Give the 1st or 2nd line ice to Eberle (who happens to play excellent with Festerling).

Around the 3rd period, the pats seemed like they just wanted to get the gameover with. I, in my new comforatble seat in section E, almsot fell asleep during the last 10 minutes, only to have the annoying voice of my little cousin keeping me awake. At around 5 minutes I left, with a feeling of disgust for the game, and at the time, the league. I listened in on the radio to find out duval scored a goal at the last minute. At least they ended the game on a good note, to an otherwise sh***y game.I didn't leave but I would have to say that happened to me about the time the Pats were down 5-on-3 for the 3rd time in the game... then it hit me hard in the 3rd period. :burningma

I wasnt really watching medicine hat, only the star players like Russell, Bendfeld, Helm, Schlemko, and Rumpel, who were the top players for the hat tonight, so I will rely on kevin to do the rest.
I was so frustrated with the whole game that I really didn't pay too much attention as there was little to no even strength play. But Dorsett, Stevens, Schlemko, Russell and Helm were the Tigers best offensive weapons. When the teams played even strength (rare) the Tigers line of Sauer-Sokol-Wasden played a really good game.

nivek_wahs
10-05-2006, 04:50 AM
wow...i just don't know what to sayYou pretty much took the words right out of my typing fingers.

i know we're better than how we've been playing...i just don't know what is going through those kids heads out there...we have never looked so sloppy...like really, how many times did our boys run into one another :confused: ....our shot clock count wasn't as good as it could have been, we need to fire the puck more AND hit the netThey were indeed sloppy and looked lost once the penalties started coming. Come on Hunt man teach these kids what a penalty is. They know the calls are coming and yet they still do the stupid stuff (hook/slash) and they are not being held accountable.

I knew N.Ross was sitting out earlier today and couldn't help but note how many ppl were suprised when they announced his scratch at the game..a couple gasps... a few ppl thinking he got send down..slightly amusing..but anyway, hopefully it was a small reminder that if you want to play you better come ready to play....IMO...Bernhardt's next in linewhen I heard that Ross was scratched... I thought it's about time... others need a wake up call I won't mention names but they are veterans. I feel sorry for a guy like Bernhardt, I think he was being punished in the game as is playing very sparingly (maybe it's his wake up).

third period ovservations: people leaving their seats and us getting continually stripped of the puck...oh ya and that goal at the 20 minute mark...ALOT OF GOOD THAT DID! Haha...

nivek_wahs
10-05-2006, 05:01 AM
Was not impressed with Reekie at all. Some of those he should have had. And if Deck keeps playing the way he is, he is going to be the next Schlenker and be the next 20yr defensive captain to be traded away. He is making big mistakes and the youngsters are showing him up badly. Atleast I thought so anyway.I read this post 3 times and I completely missed this thought. I have to agree with you here. With Pyett stepping up the way he has and seems to have taken over the #1 D-man spot on the team... And incumbents Schira, N. Ross and Teubert... It only feels like it's a matter of time.

I think the team needs a shake-up and maybe this is where it starts...

Fight Guy
10-05-2006, 03:10 PM
I don't know...some of you won't agree, but I don't think Deck had a bad game. He's surely had worse.He has defiently had worse, but when you add this one to those, which is pretty much these first 5 games, well...it's adding up.

nivek_wahs
10-06-2006, 12:34 AM
No sizzle, just fizzle as teams fail to deliver

Pretty fair assessment of the game done by Greg Harder of the LeaderPost...

http://www.reginapats.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=622

A couple of quotes from the article...

"We think we're too good right now," continued Festerling. "It's an honour to even be in this league and we're taking it for (granted). It's disappointing."

There was no argument from head coach Curtis Hunt, who took his evaluation a step further.

"We've read too many press clippings," he said.
"There's not a single word to sum that up," added Hunt. "We got what we deserved."I couldn't have said it better.

Bran
10-06-2006, 01:22 AM
He has defiently had worse, but when you add this one to those, which is pretty much these first 5 games, well...it's adding up.
True. Was it me or did they pick him as third star on the OT show? My radio was cutting in and out but I swore that's what I heard...If I had to pick a Pat (hehe that sounds funny) it wouldn't have been him...

Bran
10-06-2006, 01:25 AM
No sizzle, just fizzle as teams fail to deliver

Pretty fair assessment of the game done by Greg Harder of the LeaderPost...

http://www.reginapats.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=622

A couple of quotes from the article...
I couldn't have said it better.
Maybe it'll sink in now and everyone will step up. They certainly aren't playing like a first place team right now. It doesn't matter how good you are or how much talent you have if you play the way they have been.

Fight Guy
10-06-2006, 02:41 PM
True. Was it me or did they pick him as third star on the OT show? My radio was cutting in and out but I swore that's what I heard...If I had to pick a Pat (hehe that sounds funny) it wouldn't have been him...
I didnt listen that far in...lol.