PDA

View Full Version : Setoguchi to Prince George Cougars

N.W. Bruin
10-04-2006, 09:23 AM
That is a done deal according to the Prince George newspaper. Fact the brother act own the Cougars and Blades might have played a factor into it. Quite a deal since the Cougars don't give up any roster players.

Sput
10-04-2006, 09:33 AM
Like I posted on the Cougar board though....I'm hopeful the deal has in fact been done, but the pesimist in me is waiting for the press release to make it official.

The brother act of owners has played into trades in the past, but nothing as big as this. I am a bit....OK a lot, surprised that no one off the current roster was moved. Thats what makes me wonder if it is all to good to be true.

N.W. Bruin
10-04-2006, 09:39 AM
Like I posted on the Cougar board though....I'm hopeful the deal has in fact been done, but the pesimist in me is waiting for the press release to make it official.

The brother act of owners has played into trades in the past, but nothing as big as this. I am a bit....OK a lot, surprised that no one off the current roster was moved. Thats what makes me wonder if it is all to good to be true.

Since the talk was the Giants would have to move a roster player or two plus maybe a high pick for Setoguchi. Sounds like they maybe more interested in a centre anyway now (Dupont?). Dupont isn't the scorer that Seto or McArdle are but he did get 30 last season.

Sput
10-04-2006, 10:55 AM
Here's the link to the news release I posted on the Cougar board.

http://whlfans.ca/showthread.php?p=57229#post57229

Jimmy
10-04-2006, 11:02 AM
At the very least, we will get to have a good look at him this year.

Kassian
10-04-2006, 11:11 AM
It certainly looks like a done deal now.

http://www.pgcougars.com/articles/text/141/1/Cougars+Welcome+Setoguchi

langdak
10-04-2006, 11:21 AM
I hope they find somebody that can stay consistant enough to play with him throughout the season.

We all know that 99% of the time 1 player cannot carry a full team.

The top group of guys is sure looking good on that team now, Setoguchi, Hunter, Walker, Robertson, Drazenovic

Should be interesting to see how it all works out.

langdak
10-04-2006, 11:22 AM
http://whl.ca/news/?id=5028

Cougars Acquire Setoguchi From Saskatoon in WHL Blockbuster
Created: Oct 4, 2006

PRINCE GEORGE, BC - The Prince George Cougars have announced the acquisition of 19 year old RW Devin Setoguchi of the Saskatoon Blades in exchange for Stefan Elliot and a 1st round Bantam selection in 2008. Elliot was the Cougars 12th overall selection in 2006 WHL Bantam Draft.

Setoguchi, a 6’0, 195lbs. product of Taber, AB, was the San Jose Sharks 8th overall selection in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft. Setoguchi, who registered 36 goals, 47 assists, 83 points, and +17 rating in 65 games last season with the Blades, was the WHL’s player of the month in November 2005 and was a member of Team WHL at the 2005 Canada/Russia Challenge.

“Acquiring Devin Setoguchi at this early juncture in the season makes this a very exciting day for our franchise. Devin will fit in extremely well with the talent and depth on our forward lines”, states Cougars GM Dallas Thompson. “He will be heavily counted on to help our team achieve our goals”, finishes Thompson.

Blades Head Coach and General Manager Lorne Molleken also commented on the trade of Setoguchi. “With this year of transition here in Saskatoon we felt that this move was one which allows us to strengthen our hockey club for the future by acquiring a player who we believe will be an elite player in our league for sometime to come. In regards to Devin we feel that this move will give him the opportunity to have a very successful conclusion to his junior career, we wish him the best of the luck and thank him
for his outstanding contributions to the Saskatoon Blades Hockey Club on and off the ice.”

Coming back the other way the Blades the receive the 12th overall selection in the 06’ Bantam Draft in Stefan Elliott an elite defenseman prospect who hails from North Vancouver, B.C. This season the 6’1 175lbs d-man will play with the Vancouver Giants Major Midget team. Blades Director of Player Personnel Paul Olekszyk commented “ We are extremely excited to acquire this elite player. He is an exceptional skater who is extremely smart and creative with an outstanding skill set comparable to that of (former Medicine Hat Tigers amd current Florida Panthers defenseman) Jay Bouwmeester," Olekszyk adds, "He will be an underage defenseman with Team B.C. at the Canada Winter Games this winter and we had him pegged as one of the top defensemen available in the past Bantam Draft. We a very excited to welcome Stefan and his family to the Saskatoon Blades organization.”

Setoguchi is expected to be in the Cougars line-up when they face off with the Swift Current Broncos on Tuesday, October 10 at the CN Centre

Sput
10-04-2006, 11:30 AM
The top group of guys is sure looking good on that team now, Setoguchi, Hunter, Walker, Robertson, Drazenovic

I would be tempted to stick Fuller on the line with Drazzy and Seto. Strong guy, crashes the net, and provides a bit of 'protection' for these two.

langdak
10-04-2006, 11:34 AM
I would be tempted to stick Fuller on the line with Drazzy and Seto. Strong guy, crashes the net, and provides a bit of 'protection' for these two.

I agree with you, the top 2 lines on the cougs could be deadly now, assuming everybody stays healthy

Sput
10-04-2006, 11:39 AM
You hit it right on the head. In a previous artical Vandekamp said that in a total 81 games, he hasn't been able to dress a fully healthy lineup. Already sitting with four top guys sitting out (drazzy, Dudas, Wishart and Gendur) it makes for some creative line making.

Another possible for the third guy on the second line would have to be Tyrell. Much like Fuller in the style of play dept., but with more finess and goal production. We will have to see where coach Mike puts everyone now.

East Watch
10-04-2006, 11:43 AM
Could possibly get hurt. Don't forget he will be missing from December 10th-January 10th for the world Jr's as well. I think the Blades got tonnes for him considered they didn't need a player like him this year as he doesn't fit into the dressing room or the team concept there. To get a defenseman like Elliott is crazy and a first rounder too as well. WOW

langdak
10-04-2006, 11:52 AM
Could possibly get hurt. Don't forget he will be missing from December 10th-January 10th for the world Jr's as well. I think the Blades got tonnes for him considered they didn't need a player like him this year as he doesn't fit into the dressing room or the team concept there. To get a defenseman like Elliott is crazy and a first rounder too as well. WOW

I agree, its a lot to give up for an approx 55game rental player

i guess it could work 2 ways

spot in the memorial cup - brass looks like gold

knocked out of the playoffs early - brass looks like crap

Time will tell with this one

I have never been one that is overly high on Setoguchi, but good for the cougs, that should help them out

Cougar Guy
10-04-2006, 12:05 PM
The intangible that you guys are forgetting about is that Cougar management has a TERRIBLE reputation around town of not "going for it" when one or two pieces are needed, going back years and years.

With this move, Thompson has not only acquired a big player to inject into an already above average lineup, he has also provided a message to the fans of PG that they are interested in winning and that they will take steps to try and win. In a market where the words coming from management no longer mean anything, perhaps it is the actions that will convince the fan base and start to get them back. Lord knows the team needs it and if this move can be a catalyst for that, that's likely worth more than more W's.

It should be fun to watch, that is for sure.

langdak
10-04-2006, 12:07 PM
The intangible that you guys are forgetting about is that Cougar management has a TERRIBLE reputation around town of not "going for it" when one or two pieces are needed, going back years and years.

With this move, Thompson has not only acquired a big player to inject into an already above average lineup, he has also provided a message to the fans of PG that they are interested in winning and that they will take steps to try and win. In a market where the words coming from management no longer mean anything, perhaps it is the actions that will convince the fan base and start to get them back. Lord knows the team needs it and if this move can be a catalyst for that, that's likely worth more than more W's.

It should be fun to watch, that is for sure.

I totally see where your coming from, and i agree with you

but...............what happens next year with the fan base when the rental player is gone, and so is Robertson, Walker and Hunter???

It might be a temporary fix for this season, but are the same problems going to arise next year again?

Cougar Guy
10-04-2006, 12:22 PM
Considering that what we gave up likely wouldn't have played a key role in next year anyway (Elliot wasn't going to report and the 1st round pick would be years away from contributing), I don't see that as factor.

Said another way, I don't think this trade impacts next season at all. We'd likely have the same concerns next year whether or not we made the deal. So that leaves two options:

1) Make the deal, make a run for it this year and have concerns next year or
2) Don't make the deal, have another "we were close season" and have concerns next year

Cougar management doesn't need another "we were close" debacle. I can think of 2 or 3 years where one or two key moves may have put the team over the top . . . instead they just sat around and did squat. I think I'm speaking for many Cougar fans when I say that I'd rather see us take a legitimate run for once in this franchises history and deal with the fallout that "may" occur (a tough season to follow), over being stuck in the cycle of mediocrity because you are scared to do anything. We've lived that years, we're sick of it :)

langdak
10-04-2006, 12:27 PM
Considering that what we gave up likely wouldn't have played a key role in next year anyway (Elliot wasn't going to report and the 1st round pick would be years away from contributing), I don't see that as factor.

Said another way, I don't think this trade impacts next season at all. We'd likely have the same concerns next year whether or not we made the deal. So that leaves two options:

1) Make the deal, make a run for it this year and have concerns next year or
2) Don't make the deal, have another "we were close season" and have concerns next year

Cougar management doesn't need another "we were close" debacle. I can think of 2 or 3 years where one or two key moves may have put the team over the top . . . instead they just sat around and did squat. I think I'm speaking for many Cougar fans when I say that I'd rather see us take a legitimate run for once in this franchises history and deal with the fallout that "may" occur (a tough season to follow), over being stuck in the cycle of mediocrity because you are scared to do anything. We've lived that years, we're sick of it :)

Fair enough, you make some very valid points.

PG hasnt had the greatest luck when it comes to WHL hockey and it would finally be nice for you guys to have a decent season up there.

With the addition of Setoguchi I can see that happening now, as long as everybody stays healthy.

The travel that the cougs endure still isnt going to change and I think that has become a factor in more then a few seasons, with the firepower upfront this season the travel factor may not come into play as much as it has in the past.

I am looking forward to seeing where the BC division ends up this year, should be a 2 team race with the other 3 possibly battling it out for playoff spots.

Cougar Guy
10-04-2006, 12:43 PM
Yeah I agree. Certainly on paper, Vancouver and PG are the top two teams, Kamloops would be a solid 3rd and Kelowna and Chilliwack look to be the bottom 4 and 5. Now that being said, we all know that games aren't won on paper and I'm sure there will be some surprises along the way.

It will be nice having a team that has the potential to destroy weaker competition. We haven't seen that in a LONG time. Nothing gets the fans more excited than a good ole whooping :)

Sput
10-04-2006, 12:50 PM
The travel that the cougs endure still isnt going to change and I think that has become a factor in more then a few seasons, with the firepower upfront this season the travel factor may not come into play as much as it has in the past.

I agree with you there. The travel isn't going to change, but having enough horses to cycle through the ice time will do wonders as the year plays out.

As Cougar Guy said, PG management has a bad reputation for NOT pulling the trigger on a trade. This is going to go a long way to bring fans back to the CNCenter. It's showing a comittment and telling people that they are going for it.

Without giving up a roster player, our depth for next year isn't all bad. Yes we'll be without Hunter Walker, and Robertson, but players that could potentially return are still quality players. I can't write next year off just yet, not with this season shaping up to be one of our best ever.

Beaner
10-04-2006, 04:04 PM
Good moves for both sides.

Should help out PG big time this year, provided he gets back helathy, which he should, and the Blades have 2 first round picks to help with the rebuild.

Have to think the West is shaping into a 3 horse race, Everett, PG and Vancouver.

Now the question is what do vancouver and Everett do to counter this move by PG?

dondo
10-04-2006, 05:38 PM
hey do you think Seto will be in the line-up tonight?

Seems to be little to give -up for Setogutchi imo --- I understand that the players going the other way would be top prospects, but I think PG won this one handily. However, to mortgage the future to get a rental player could come back and bite them.

This deal makes PG that much more deadly a team, scoring-wise but I still think their D is suspect and some of their top liners are a bit injury-prone so I don't really think they finish as high as some are predicting.

Sput
10-04-2006, 06:21 PM
He will not be in the lineup tonight, best case is friday's game, but not 'scheduled' to suit up until the tuesday game against Swift Current.

The only one that seems to be injury prone is Dudas. Wishart was jumped and had to fight to defend himself and ended up having his forehead driven into the ice. Once the D-lines are all healthy, they are projected to be one of the strongest in the league. Wishart, Dudas, Sagart, Patterson, Mihalik, Redden, Vandunhyven, and Vrana. with Cooper being the odd man out as a 20yo, Good talent range, good mix of size and speed. Goaltending and defence were listed as the Cougars strong points, with goal production being suspect. That appears to have been addressed. Time will tell, won't it.

dondo
10-04-2006, 06:27 PM
sorry Sput -- but Mihalik reminds me of Gordichuk.. a huge pilon without much mobility decent positioning and good checking, but really not what I'd call a top d-man.

time will tell indeed -- very surprised actually that the Cougs didn't fight harder in that game on the weekend here. I figured they'd be really hungry and put it to us but it took us backing off to give them a bit of life.

White played a solid game, but the defensive coverage was extremely suspect, positioning and effort. Now Kraus threaded the needle a couple of times, but the Pg D did not play a good game here on Sunday which is why I said what I did above. No offense meant just an observation. But with Wishart and Dudas back in I expect the blue-line will soldify nicely for you guys.

scamperdog
10-04-2006, 06:27 PM
He will not be in the lineup tonight, best case is friday's game, but not 'scheduled' to suit up until the tuesday game against Swift Current.

The only one that seems to be injury prone is Dudas. Wishart was jumped and had to fight to defend himself and ended up having his forehead driven into the ice. Once the D-lines are all healthy, they are projected to be one of the strongest in the league. Wishart, Dudas, Sagart, Patterson, Mihalik, Redden, Vandunhyven, and Vrana. with Cooper being the odd man out as a 20yo, Good talent range, good mix of size and speed. Goaltending and defence were listed as the Cougars strong points, with goal production being suspect. That appears to have been addressed. Time will tell, won't it.
I would almost say today was like Christmas for Sput :bounce: :groovy: :clap: ;) :thumb: :wave: :spineyes:

SectionNDeserter
10-04-2006, 06:28 PM
Don't forget he will be missing from December 10th-January 10th for the world Jr's as well.Wouldn't take that one to the bank, as he hasn't been able to make the team in the last 3 years, and hasn't really changed his style of play much at all. I would give the players that have previous WJHC experience an edge over him as far as being a lock to make the team.

Beaner
10-04-2006, 06:30 PM
Seems to be little to give -up for Setogutchi imo --- I understand that the players going the other way would be top prospects, but I think PG won this one handily. However, to mortgage the future to get a rental player could come back and bite them.

2 @ 1st rounders for a 1 year rental player isnt too bad a price. It will be a few years before we know who won this trade.

dondo
10-04-2006, 06:33 PM
true enough beaner -- that's what makes it fun.

Knuckles Muldoon
10-04-2006, 06:55 PM
Good move for the Coogs, and a positive message for the organization as a whole. Its nice to see them step up to the plate and swing for the fence. Its been a while since they've done that. The Van-PG games the rest of the way just got better. :thumb:

rinkrat
10-04-2006, 07:07 PM
I would almost say today was like Christmas for Sput :bounce: :groovy: :clap: ;) :thumb: :wave: :spineyes:

Yup,good for you PG fans.Finally some positive moves for you long suffering fans.Now don't get too excited about first place. :D

GF71
10-04-2006, 07:08 PM
Why is there so much action about a PG trade in the Giants forum?

dondo
10-05-2006, 12:44 AM
maybe because there were rumours he was coming here, but I wasn't sure what we'd give up so I really wasn't convinced ... but that might be why there's so much interest.