PDA

View Full Version : No Longer A Rumor!!!

Sput
10-04-2006, 10:54 AM
From: http://www.pgcougars.com/articles/text/141/1/Cougars+Welcome+Setoguchi

Oct 4 2006

Cougars Welcome Setoguchi by PG Cougars

The Prince George Cougars have announced the acquisition of 19 year old RW Devin Setoguchi of the Saskatoon Blades in exchange for Stefan Elliot and a 1st round Bantam selection in 2008. Elliot was the Cougars 12th overall selection in 2006 WHL Bantam Draft.

Setoguchi, a 6’0, 195lbs. product of Taber, AB, was the San Jose Sharks 8th overall selection in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft. Setoguchi, who registered 36 goals, 47 assists, 83 points, and +17 rating in 65 games last season with the Blades, was the WHL’s player of the month in November 2005 and was a member of Team WHL at the 2005 Canada/Russia Challenge.

“Acquiring Devin Setoguchi at this early juncture in the season makes this a very exciting day for our franchise. Devin will fit in extremely well with the talent and depth on our forward lines”, states Cougars GM Dallas Thompson. “He will be heavily counted on to help our team achieve our goals”, finishes Thompson.

Setoguchi is expected to be in the Cougars line-up when they face off with the Swift Current Broncos on Tuesday, October 10 at the CN Centre.

Devin Setoguchi career stats:

Season Team GP G A PTS +/- PIM
2003-04 WHL Season Saskatoon Blades 66 13 18 31 -22 53
2004-05 WHL Season Saskatoon Blades 69 33 31 64 20 34
2005-06 WHL Season Saskatoon Blades 65 36 47 83 17 69

Playoff Stats
Season Team GP G A PTS +/- PIM
2005 WHL Playoffs Saskatoon Blades 4 0 1 1 -1 0

howley
10-04-2006, 11:03 AM
Hope you enjoy your new star. I'll be paying a little more attention to PG now I guess. Have you guys seen this kid play that the Blades got in return? Any info on him?

East Watch
10-04-2006, 11:05 AM
That is why he didn't report to Prince George this season. I think the Blades basically got a 2008 Bantam pick for Setoguchi. Good deal for Prince George to not give a roster player. Could be the steal of the WHL in the past 10 years.

Sput
10-04-2006, 11:11 AM
That is why he didn't report to Prince George this season. I think the Blades basically got a 2008 Bantam pick for Setoguchi. Good deal for Prince George to not give a roster player. Could be the steal of the WHL in the past 10 years.

It wasn't confirmed that Elliot was going to take the NCAA route. He probably would have if the Cougars kept him on their roster, but he reportedly was in talks with Blades management and they must have come to an agreement. Could be the prospect of playing with an old teammate( I think) in Gilles was a clincher for him too. Maybe the 'brothers' had a hand in this, but I think Molleken had a hard decision to make.

langdak
10-04-2006, 11:24 AM
http://whl.ca/news/?id=5028

Cougars Acquire Setoguchi From Saskatoon in WHL Blockbuster
Created: Oct 4, 2006

PRINCE GEORGE, BC - The Prince George Cougars have announced the acquisition of 19 year old RW Devin Setoguchi of the Saskatoon Blades in exchange for Stefan Elliot and a 1st round Bantam selection in 2008. Elliot was the Cougars 12th overall selection in 2006 WHL Bantam Draft.

Setoguchi, a 6’0, 195lbs. product of Taber, AB, was the San Jose Sharks 8th overall selection in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft. Setoguchi, who registered 36 goals, 47 assists, 83 points, and +17 rating in 65 games last season with the Blades, was the WHL’s player of the month in November 2005 and was a member of Team WHL at the 2005 Canada/Russia Challenge.

“Acquiring Devin Setoguchi at this early juncture in the season makes this a very exciting day for our franchise. Devin will fit in extremely well with the talent and depth on our forward lines”, states Cougars GM Dallas Thompson. “He will be heavily counted on to help our team achieve our goals”, finishes Thompson.

Blades Head Coach and General Manager Lorne Molleken also commented on the trade of Setoguchi. “With this year of transition here in Saskatoon we felt that this move was one which allows us to strengthen our hockey club for the future by acquiring a player who we believe will be an elite player in our league for sometime to come. In regards to Devin we feel that this move will give him the opportunity to have a very successful conclusion to his junior career, we wish him the best of the luck and thank him
for his outstanding contributions to the Saskatoon Blades Hockey Club on and off the ice.”

Coming back the other way the Blades the receive the 12th overall selection in the 06’ Bantam Draft in Stefan Elliott an elite defenseman prospect who hails from North Vancouver, B.C. This season the 6’1 175lbs d-man will play with the Vancouver Giants Major Midget team. Blades Director of Player Personnel Paul Olekszyk commented “ We are extremely excited to acquire this elite player. He is an exceptional skater who is extremely smart and creative with an outstanding skill set comparable to that of (former Medicine Hat Tigers amd current Florida Panthers defenseman) Jay Bouwmeester," Olekszyk adds, "He will be an underage defenseman with Team B.C. at the Canada Winter Games this winter and we had him pegged as one of the top defensemen available in the past Bantam Draft. We a very excited to welcome Stefan and his family to the Saskatoon Blades organization.”

Setoguchi is expected to be in the Cougars line-up when they face off with the Swift Current Broncos on Tuesday, October 10 at the CN Centre

ProStaff
10-04-2006, 11:43 AM
Don't kid yourselves, Lorne had nothing to do with this at all, Brodski gave is brother the best player that Blades have had in the last 10 years, for a penny, what a joke! Jack Brodski will regret this later because if PG thinks their fans are a finicky bunch, Saskatoon is equal if not worse. I predict we will be lucky to average 2000 people out to the games all season. Don't come crying to us Brodski that you are losing money, it's your own fault!

loudi94
10-04-2006, 02:47 PM
http://whl.ca/news/?id=5028

Setoguchi is expected to be in the Cougars line-up when they face off with the Swift Current Broncos on Tuesday, October 10 at the CN Centre

I bet you it's at least a month before he plays a game. He just got home today and will have to go back to San Jose to be cleared before he even hits the ice. I could be wrong of course. We'll soon see.

Tidball
10-05-2006, 12:33 AM
I bet you it's at least a month before he plays a game. He just got home today and will have to go back to San Jose to be cleared before he even hits the ice. I could be wrong of course. We'll soon see.

Nah. Nuefeld played with us the day he was traded. Lol Tidball Played a game with us just 2 hours after his flight arrived. hockey players are good at focusing on the game. You guys will have Seto on the 10th. And you guys will love him.

bones
10-05-2006, 02:12 AM

You are wrong, he arrives in PG Friday and will be ready for Tuesdays game.
Oh and to all those people that wanted me to back up my rumours, looks like I have a pretty good source now dont I?

Swando
10-05-2006, 10:00 PM
Oh and to all those people that wanted me to back up my rumours, looks like I have a pretty good source now dont I?

Your Source???? wow..the name Bones will be on our hot list for some time to come.. I hope the Cats do well this year.. trouble is it's a week division, so anything less than 2nd or al least 3rd in the whole conference, would be unacceptable. Tough to see young players not wanting to play in PG as a result you have to trade them away to get a player for only one year. It must be disheartening.

Trav
10-05-2006, 10:55 PM
when the young guys dont wanna come there. Dont they talk to the players, especially the projected first rounders to make sure they'd come to PG if picked by them? Sure doesnt look like it.

loudi94
10-06-2006, 10:43 AM

No, you are wrong. And I'm quite sure that this article is going to be wrong also. Next Friday is too soon AFAIK.

KITTY LITTER – Devin Setoguchi, added by the Cats on Wednesday, hopes to arrive in time to see Friday’s rematch between the Cougars and Giants. Because of a knee injury, don’t expect him to play until the following Friday when the Cats start a road trip in Medicine Hat

bones
10-10-2006, 03:01 PM
No, you are wrong. And I'm quite sure that this article is going to be wrong also. Next Friday is too soon AFAIK.

KITTY LITTER – Devin Setoguchi, added by the Cats on Wednesday, hopes to arrive in time to see Friday’s rematch between the Cougars and Giants. Because of a knee injury, don’t expect him to play until the following Friday when the Cats start a road trip in Medicine Hat

I guess we will find out tonight eh, smart guy.

PGFlyfisher
10-10-2006, 07:04 PM
According to PGTV news 5PM local time, Setoguchi will be in the line up tonight against SC and Wishart is a game time decision. :)

loudi94
10-10-2006, 08:10 PM
According to PGTV news 5PM local time, Setoguchi will be in the line up tonight against SC and Wishart is a game time decision. :)

Good I guess I'll see him here on Saturday.

GF71
10-10-2006, 11:03 PM

Hmmm Shut out again. This time with two more top end players in the line up, so the lack of players can't be an excuse anymore. What is going on up there? Is my buddy Vandekamp not cutting it? Is there Chemestry issues? I'm curious to see some objective opinions...

Sput
10-11-2006, 01:58 PM
Hmmm Shut out again. This time with two more top end players in the line up, so the lack of players can't be an excuse anymore. What is going on up there? Is my buddy Vandekamp not cutting it? Is there Chemestry issues? I'm curious to see some objective opinions...

I saw last nights game as a lot of bad puck luck. They couldn't get a break or a bounce to save them at all. I felt the jump was there, the passes were a lot crisper and on target than they were either night against Vancouver, but everything just worked against them. Pucks poked into someones feet, shots deflected to far/high/wide, shots that they blocked bouncing out right to a Bronco, just terrible luck really. Tyrell and Gooch both had great breakaways in the third, bith times Moir turned them away. The puck also seemd to stick to the ice a couple times on Hunter, both in the first and the third periods.

There were more changes to the lineup than just inserting Seto and Wishart too. Walker was scratched so Bowles could get a start, so that too changed the makeup of the forwards. Vandy had some line combos on the ice that he likely won't have again. Wish and Seto were both late decisions to play, so that in itself made for interesting linemates.

My opinon right now is that the best thing that can happen is the team going on the road. They will all get a chance to come together as a team, get to know each other a lot more, and everyone gets to feel comfortable as a team. There were a number of returnees from last year's team, but there are more than a few new faces as well. Hunt, Redden, Klym, Groot, Robertson, Setoguchi, Vrana (English alone is one of his challenges), Grossman, Deagle, Kajic and White are all new to the Cougars. Include Mahalik in there thats 12 new faces to suddenly need to be comfortable with. Thats over half the team. When you think about it...Vancouver has 19 returnees from last season, and most of them have also been together for 3-4 years as a team, with no changes in bench bosses, GM's, trainers nothing. Very stable. The Cougars haven't had that luxury at all. I still say give them some more time and they will gel as a team once everyone gets to know the other guy, and the injury list gets shorter. I'd sooner have these problems now, in the first 10-12 games than I would the last 10 of the season.