PDA

View Full Version : Setoguchi Traded (confirmed)

howley
10-04-2006, 10:58 AM
Thoughts on the trade everyone?
=======
from the cougars website
Cougars Add NHL First Rounder
PRINCE GEORGE, BC- The Prince George Cougars have announced the acquisition of 19 year old RW Devin Setoguchi of the Saskatoon Blades in exchange for Stefan Elliot and a 1st round Bantam selection in 2008. Elliot was the Cougars 12th overall selection in 2006 WHL Bantam Draft.

Setoguchi, a 6’0, 195lbs. product of Taber, AB, was the San Jose Sharks 8th overall selection in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft. Setoguchi, who registered 36 goals, 47 assists, 83 points, and +17 rating in 65 games last season with the Blades, was the WHL’s player of the month in November 2005 and was a member of Team WHL at the 2005 Canada/Russia Challenge.

“Acquiring Devin Setoguchi at this early juncture in the season makes this a very exciting day for our franchise. Devin will fit in extremely well with the talent and depth on our forward lines”, states Cougars GM Dallas Thompson. “He will be heavily counted on to help our team achieve our goals”, finishes Thompson.

Setoguchi is expected to be in the Cougars line-up when they face off with the Swift Current Broncos on Tuesday, October 10 at the CN Centre.

westbeach55
10-04-2006, 10:59 AM
great trade for both teams

Sput
10-04-2006, 11:07 AM
Incredible trade for the Cougars. Huge depth on the foward lines now. as for the Blades, ya they got no roster players, but they do have a top D prospect (Elliot, who will get to play with former teammate Giles), a good scoring prospect that wasn't guarunteed of a roster spot here anyway (thats why he didn't show here for camp I heard) and a dect draft pick. Time will tell how these three pan out for Saskatoon. This does definately help PG out for the here and now.

East Watch
10-04-2006, 11:17 AM
Cherniwchan isn't included.

ProStaff
10-04-2006, 11:32 AM
Ya Westbeach you would think its a good trade, because you are a Raider fan, but this trade stinks and I am close to Cancel my season seats and if they don't refund them then, I will just throw them out. Brodski made this deal happen because he owns both teams and just screwed us Blades fans. I really hope he doesn't complain when only 1500 people show up to the home game's because we all know how easy Saskatoon people jump of the band wagon. I like our team, its fun to watch, Seto would of helped us big time and if he got traded,I understand,but for nothing! I don't understand that at all.We get one player with attitude that didn't even show up to camp because he wasn't guarented a spot on the team, what the F is up with that! and a draft pick WOW! And owners wonder why knowone comes out to games.

Sput
10-04-2006, 11:33 AM
Cherniwchan isn't included.

Wow...missed that in the news release. I was 'assuming' the deal was what was in the PG Citizen this morning. Didn't know Cherniwchan was not part of it.

GOBLADESGO#3 (among other aliases)
10-04-2006, 11:34 AM
Incredible trade for the Cougars. Huge depth on the foward lines now. as for the Blades, ya they got no roster players, but they do have a top D prospect (Elliot, who will get to play with former teammate Giles), a good scoring prospect that wasn't guarunteed of a roster spot here anyway (thats why he didn't show here for camp I heard) and a dect draft pick. Time will tell how these three pan out for Saskatoon. This does definately help PG out for the here and now.

ok i can live with this trade but once again i feel that the Cougars are getting most of this trade but whatever it will do and at least i got 1 of my 3 hopes in the Seto trade which is kind of ****ty in a 1st round pick.

Hatguy
10-04-2006, 11:59 AM
Ya Westbeach you would think its a good trade, because you are a Raider fan, but this trade stinks and I am close to Cancel my season seats and if they don't refund them then, I will just throw them out. Brodski made this deal happen because he owns both teams and just screwed us Blades fans. I really hope he doesn't complain when only 1500 people show up to the home game's because we all know how easy Saskatoon people jump of the band wagon. I like our team, its fun to watch, Seto would of helped us big time and if he got traded,I understand,but for nothing! I don't understand that at all.We get one player with attitude that didn't even show up to camp because he wasn't guarented a spot on the team, what the F is up with that! and a draft pick WOW! And owners wonder why knowone comes out to games.

You should still go out and support your team, man. You don't have Setoguchi anymore, but in the long run this is better for the Blades than keeping him. In a few years when your team is awesome again you won't be complaining. You're not a very good fan by the sounds of it!

Bran
10-04-2006, 12:26 PM
It may be hard to see right now, but your team will be better in the future because of it. Look at the Pats, there were a couple of BAD years, but look at what they have now. I would have faith in Molleken, he's a smart man. It doesn't really make sense to keep Setoguchi around when he won't be back, get something for him while you can. If you stick with your team now, it'll pay off in the end.

SeventhHeaven4U
10-04-2006, 12:51 PM
I also believe that the trade was a huge step in building the Blades' future. Elliott is a Dman who has alot to bring to the table and coupling that with a 1st rounder in the bantam draft will just solify this team in the next few years. I only hope that his "wanting to play closer to home" does not leave Toon out in the cold.

Sput
10-04-2006, 12:57 PM
I only hope that his "wanting to play closer to home" does not leave Toon out in the cold.

I always find this statement as crock. In an artical in the PG Citizen, interveiwing Eric Brewer, he never undertsood why a kid would say that. If you have your sights set on trying to make it to the NHL, or any other pro league, you are not going to be able to pick and choose so you can stay close to home. You're going to have to leave home sometime....why not go now, when you aren't going to have to sink or swim all on your own? Its always been a politically correct way of saying that "I don't want to play for your team". At least Gilles was upfront and outright said he wanted to play for the Blades, so don't bother drafting me 'cause I won't show up without a Saskatoon address. That I can deal with.

Shortys
10-04-2006, 02:34 PM
The only way I look at this whole deal, is to look at if he stayed in San Jose this year, we would have got nothing out of the deal. This way, we still don't have him, BUT we do have some more options for down the road. It is hard to look at the now, but it will be all good. I do agree that this trade will lower the attendance rate this year for the blades, people would have come just to watch him play.

-the only thing that really bothers me is that we only play PG once in regular season, and it is at their barn! So we won't even get to see Seto play at CUC again!!

Tidball
10-04-2006, 04:01 PM
I was up for trading Seto provided the Blades started the season the way they were expected to. I thought they would be 1-3 if we were lucky. But a 2-2 start (tied for 1st in east) wouldnt be a good time to trade Seto. Elliott might go through college. So we gave up Setoguchi for most likley a 1st rounder..... maybe the 20th overall pick. Bad idea. Brodsky-ownership played a part in this.

And did we decide to give the Cougars Klym? Why are we giving away our talent?

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
10-04-2006, 04:02 PM
For saskatoon this does suck right now, but this is rebuilding mode, and you must think about the future. This is a better trade than keeping setoguchi, and making the same mistake that PA made last year with chipper.

However, I didnt expect this trade to be so soon. Near the trade deadline would have probably been smarter, but I guess it was gonna happen eventually.

Awesome trade for PG right now. By winning the "gooch Sweepstakes", they will probably give vancouver a really good run for their money, and i guess they have at least 2nd place in the bc division guarenteed. But, down the road when it counts for the blades, this was the better trade for them. 2 potential top end prospects for one proven one doesnt seem too bad.

Every team goes through this at some point, except Vancouver and Everett ;)

Sput
10-04-2006, 04:40 PM
And did we decide to give the Cougars Klym? Why are we giving away our talent?

Klym wasn't given away. The Blades brass dropped him from their protected list and the Cougars grabbed him. Why Kyle was released outright, I have no idea, but the Blades brass didn't see what they wanted from the kid, so now he wears the Cougar colors.

Trav
10-04-2006, 04:59 PM
for the Blades. I'm guessing Setoguchi didnt wanna play here so rather then wait to trade him and see him not to happy playing on a young team, they traded him now so it wouldnt be a distraction to the team. I've read some info on Elliot and he actually was a blue chip prospect before the draft so if he's as good as he's described to be then not a bad deal but would've prefered to have seen a roster play in the deal or else a top prospect forward.

wango tango
10-04-2006, 05:16 PM
for the Blades. I'm guessing Setoguchi didnt wanna play here so rather then wait to trade him and see him not to happy playing on a young team, they traded him now so it wouldnt be a distraction to the team. I've read some info on Elliot and he actually was a blue chip prospect before the draft so if he's as good as he's described to be then not a bad deal but would've prefered to have seen a roster play in the deal or else a top prospect forward.

so the blades just acquired two potential top prospects for a player we would not get a full season from. not bad in my books.

howley
10-04-2006, 05:20 PM
you can't say seto did not want to play here. No way can you say that! That's how rumors get started and rep's get damaged. It was talked about all through the off season that Seto would be traded for various reasons, none of them were because of him not wanting to.

wango tango
10-04-2006, 05:31 PM
not bad if he wants to play in this league, and theres a good chance if he wanted to he would be. and there is no guarantee on a 20th overall pick that it will be a blue chip prospect either.

yes lots of ifs no doubt about it. if elliott fulfills his potential. if the blades can turn the 2008 1st rounder into a solid player. blades recent draft history suggests they will: 05 - zahn, 04 - gillies, 03 - mccrae, 02 - setoguchi, 01 - barnes. time will tell on the 06 selection berg.

SectionNDeserter
10-04-2006, 05:34 PM
Deals like these are always a hard pill to swallow, because your team isn't going to see any return on the trade for at least 2 years (and possibly 3 depending on how the draft pick develops). I also feel sorry for the kid they select with that draft, as he is going to be under some serious pressure to produce.

Trav
10-04-2006, 05:55 PM
he may have not really wanted to play here in his final season seeing how the Blades will barely make the playoffs if at all. If he was 18 this year then we wouldn't be seeing this deal unfold obiviously. Seto was going to be traded before the deadline, sure they might've gotten a better deal later on but trade him now and let ur young guys play since their going to be the future.

PGFlyfisher
10-04-2006, 07:15 PM
I would be lying if I said I wasn' t happy with the deal. And I understand it' s little consolation for Blades fans opposed to the deal. But, Blades fans can rest knowing that their future just brightened twice as much for a few years to come and we may possibly only see Setoguchi for one year and then have him not return to the Dub as a 20 yr old.

Goblades26
10-07-2006, 12:25 PM
I like this deal just because we saved ourselves the trouble of having him come in for a few games and then get dealt. I really don't think that Seto was going to score 40 or 50 goals like MANY are saying. In the 30s MAYBE. Anyhow, I look at bringing him in to be just like bringing Pavel Bure onto a team that works its butts off for eachother, like New Jersey. You don't bring a player who likely has a "me" attitude (Even a little of one), to a team that is together and workign for eachother. I think the Blades are a better team just to get rid of him. AND I CAN SEE THE FLAMES COMING.... but it is true. We have a very good, hard working team, that IS entertaining. This is not the NHL where you could see the same players suiting up for your team for 10 years... Seto left a year sooner than he would have. Anyhow, thats just my take on things. I am really looking forward to tonites game and it should be entertaining.