PDA

View Full Version : Schulz traded to Kelowna

GBG BLEED BLUE
10-04-2006, 03:42 PM

Blades Send Schulz to Kelowna

Saskatoon, SK: The Saskatoon Blades announced this afternoon that they have dealt 20-year-old defenseman David Schulz to Kelowna Rockets in exchange for a 5th round selection in the 2007 WHL Bantam draft.

Schulz, a 6’4 210lbs defenseman was obtained by the team in a blockbuster deal last season from the Spokane Chiefs which saw Schulz, Joe Logan, Jim Watt and Chad Klassen come to the Bridge City in exchange for d-man Evan Haw, goaltender Kevin Armstrong and draft picks. Schulz a former 8th round pick of the Vancouver Canucks attended the Edmonton Oilers camp this past year and upon his return to the Blades he appeared in a pair of games this season picking up 2 assists. Blades Head Coach and General Manager Lorne Molleken spoke on today’s trade “This trade allows David a chance to go to a young team and provide leadership and add a large presence to the backend in Kelowna. We would like to thank David for his contribution to our hockey club and wish him the best of luck in the future.”

David Schulz

Jan, 3, 1986

Winkler, MB

6’4, 210lbs

Year Team G A PTS PIM

05/06 Chiefs/Blades 5 23 28 28

04/05 Broncos 8 11 19 138

03/04 Broncos 3 14 17 79

02/03 Broncos 1 6 7 43

Thoughts?

Tidball
10-04-2006, 03:49 PM
Schulz is a big strong D-man with a killer shot, i think we could have got something better for him. But that doesnt suprise me since Lorne gave away Setoguchi for virtually free.

Blades 4 Life!
10-04-2006, 04:10 PM
I would have traded Logan then Schultz but ya its always molleken but the Blades have never been good at trading but today has been very disapointing for Blades fans. all we can hope is that Barnes or rabbit come back i have heard rumors.....

Shortys
10-04-2006, 04:10 PM
Interesting.... I would have thought Logan would have went, judging by the way each of them performed so far this season. Maybe Logan didn't rank a high enough pick from anyone, therefore the better player was traded imo.

wango tango
10-04-2006, 04:53 PM
as i said in another thread 20's rarely, if ever, command anything other than a bantam draft pick in trade.

molleken did well to get something for one of our extra 20's, because in just a few days any team could have picked one of them up for nothing.

howley
10-04-2006, 05:01 PM
I thought Logan would go until I saw Shulz play last night. Although he did have a decent game he did not have the speed to keep up at times where as Logan just has that. I thought they would keep Shulz to give the backend a little more size since they had brought in Visnak who is somewhat of a replica of Logan...except in little person form. Either way whoever of the two went they weren't going to get much in return for him. The seto deal isn't as bad as people are making it out to be. Two first round picks really...I doubt there was much more offered than that.

Shortys
10-04-2006, 05:02 PM
as i said in another thread 20's rarely, if ever, command anything other than a bantam draft pick in trade.

molleken did well to get something for one of our extra 20's, because in just a few days any team could have picked one of them up for nothing.

Very good point.

wango tango
10-04-2006, 05:12 PM
I thought Logan would go until I saw Shulz play last night. Although he did have a decent game he did not have the speed to keep up at times where as Logan just has that. I thought they would keep Shulz to give the backend a little more size since they had brought in Visnak who is somewhat of a replica of Logan...except in little person form. Either way whoever of the two went they weren't going to get much in return for him. The seto deal isn't as bad as people are making it out to be. Two first round picks really...I doubt there was much more offered than that.

we don't know how many teams were calling, and what was being offered. does anyone believe blades management would go for anything that wasn't in the best interest of the team in either the schulz or setoguchi trades?