PDA

View Full Version : Rangers Rookie Dawes Defied Odds To Reach Nhl

fightstrap50
10-04-2006, 07:09 PM
RANGERS ROOKIE DAWES DEFIED ODDS TO REACH NHL
10/3/2006

Three years ago, NHL teams drafted smaller players at their own risk.

In a league where clutching and grabbing were still very much in style, and where speed often died in the neutral zone, size was at a premium. Teams needed players who could fight through heavy traffic and overpower those intent on obstructing them.

Even at the 2003 NHL Entry Draft in Nashville, the search for talent was often dwarfed by size concerns. How else can one explain why 148 picks were made before the Rangers were "bold" enough to select left wing Nigel Dawes.

Dawes had better offensive numbers than most first-rounders that year. Playing for the Kootenay Ice in 2002-03, he had placed third in the Western Hockey League with 47 goals and 10th in the league with 92 points. He was top scorer on his team, and had also played a key role one year earlier when Kootenay won the Memorial Cup as Canada's major-junior champions.

Despite all these accomplishments, Dawes lasted into the fifth round in 2003 simply because of a few inches. He stood 5-foot-8, which was undersized by NHL standards, and scouts were obviously concerned that his stellar junior game would not translate to the pro level.

Who back then could have known the NHL was on the verge of a major change in philosophy that would make players like Dawes more attractive than ever. Two years after that draft in Nashville, post-lockout rules changes put an emphasis on speed and finesse, opening up the ice for smaller players who no longer had to worry about the behemoths hired to make their lives miserable.

"I don't know if I necessarily expected to go any higher in that draft," said Dawes. "I knew I was going to get drafted. It was just a question of whether a team would take a chance on me. Especially then with the old rules. There wasn't a lot of room for smaller players in the league."

In 2003, the Rangers added Dawes as an absolute steal at his draft position. In the three years since, he has bolstered his hockey resume, and few 21-year-olds in history have been able to claim all the achievements Dawes can list. These include:
A Memorial Cup championship (2002 with Kootenay)

World Junior Championship gold and silver medals (2005 and 2004 with Team Canada)

50-goal scorer in major-junior hockey (2004-05 with Kootenay)

A major-junior franchise's all-time goals record (Kootenay, 159 goals)

Two WHL First Team All-Star selections (2003-04, 2004-05 with Kootenay)

No. 2 rookie goal-scorer in AHL (35 goals for Hartford in 2005-06)

Five-point game in AHL (March 31, 2006, for Hartford)

The Rangers' Lars-Erik Sjoberg Award as top rookie in training camp (2006)
The list of Dawes' accomplishments already seems endless. Now, as one of 23 active players remaining in the Rangers' training camp, he has officially broken through to the NHL and earned a spot on the Rangers' opening-night roster. He certainly helped his cause in the preseason, finishing third on the team with four points in five games.

Dawes enters the 2006-07 season as the only player who has never played in an NHL regular-season or playoff game. Not bad for a guy once thought to be too small to make it.

"Honestly, I don't think size is an issue in the NHL at all anymore," said Dawes. "I don't think they look at guys based on their size. If he's a good enough player and he can skate and he has the skills to play in the NHL, then he's going to play in the NHL."

Coming into training camp this year, Dawes said he felt more confident than a year ago, when he attended his first camp. In 2005, Dawes played in only one preseason game against Boston before being reassigned to Hartford.

"Last year I came to camp not knowing what to expect," said Dawes. "This year, I was able to prepare over the summer so that I could have a good camp."

Arrival on the NHL stage is something Dawes has dreamt about since his boyhood in Winnipeg, where he excelled in minor, bantam and midget hockey before entering the WHL. During those early years, Dawes was a big fan of hockey's best league, beginning with his support of the old Winnipeg Jets, who left town for Phoenix when Dawes was 11 years old.

"I was a big Winnipeg Jets fan, and I also liked the Avalanche because (Joe) Sakic was there," said Dawes. "I think I appreciate the Jets a little more now that they're gone than when they were there. But just seeing the whole NHL come back last year was great, and with the new rules, hockey has become an even more fun sport to watch."

Colorado's Sakic was always one of Dawes' favorite NHL players, but unlike some kids, he never made it his goal to emulate one specific star.

"I don't think I modeled my game after anyone's," said Dawes. "I kind of have a little bit of everything, I guess. I like to be physical and I like to be finesse and be solid defensively. I don't think there's one guy in general who inspired me, it's just kind of how the game fell into my hands."

With the Rangers organization, Dawes could follow in the footsteps of many famous Blueshirts who also grew up in Winnipeg. The organization's ties to that city go back to original Rangers coach and general manager Lester Patrick, who ran a prominent hockey school there in the 1930s. Winnipeg was also the boyhood home of Rangers stars Alex Shibicky, Don Raleigh, Andy Hebenton, Andy Bathgate and James Patrick.

At age 16, Dawes left Winnipeg for Cranbrook, British Columbia, where he joined Kootenay just in time for its championship season. The Ice blew out the QMJHL's Victoriaville Tigres in the final game, and one of the teams Kootenay beat in its march to the title was the Guelph Storm, which featured future Rangers defenseman Fedor Tyutin.

Dawes wasted little time becoming a star in major-junior, scoring 47 goals in his draft year, 47 more in 2003-04 and then 50 goals in 2004-05. Despite these accomplishments, there were still questions about his size. Those questions seem laughable today, since the new-era NHL is the perfect place for his type of player.

"I've never been discouraged in my life. I've been facing it (size concerns) since I started playing bantam," said Dawes. "When I went to the Western League there was always the size issue. It's such a repetition to me when people talk about it now. It's not even a question for me. I just kind of learned to deal with that and find other ways to stand out and to produce and move on in hockey. … There's definitely room for smaller players now. You've got be able to play the game, think the game, and be able to skate flat out to play the game now. I think it's just great for the fans. The game is more fun to watch and probably more fun to play as well."

In Hartford, Dawes continued his development, scoring 35 goals and 67 points last season. He finished second on the team in goals and power-play goals (15). Among rookies, only Houston's Patrick O'Sullivan – drafted 93 spots ahead of Dawes in 2003 – had more goals.

"It (the AHL) was a bit of an adjustment for the first four or five games, but after that it's just hockey again," said Dawes. "You get to where you're feeling more comfortable and more confident. I played with great linemates in Dwight Helminen and Colby Genoway. We just really jelled together and just grew as the year went on, and I grew as a player myself."

In his first pro season, Dawes said he tried not to get ahead of himself by setting a timetable for graduating to the NHL.

"You just go out there and take it day by day and play your game," he said. "You go out there and do what's gotten you to that point in your career and hopefully improve on your weak areas and strengthen your good areas."

One of the factors that has helped Dawes enjoy almost instant success at every level of hockey is his self-confidence. Rather than be overwhelmed by the jump from one league to another, Dawes has always tried to adapt his own game to the new environment. The final jump from the AHL to the NHL is no exception.

"I think it's definitely a little quicker out there, so you've got to get adjusted to the speed of the game," he said. "You don't have a whole lot of time to make plays. You've got to think quickly and try to be a step ahead of the play and know what you're going to do before it happens. I think that's what I'm trying to do out there. Other than that, I'm not really trying to change a lot from what I did last year in Hartford."

Dawes said one of the toughest things about this year's training camp was competing for limited roster spots against many of his Wolf Pack teammates.

"Obviously, you're pulling for other players, but when it comes to the bottom line, you're going out there and you want to make the team yourself," he said. "When you skate together in Hartford, you're pushing each other all the time because you never know if an opportunity is going to come and whether you're going to be here. We're always pushing for each other and rooting for each other, but at the same time, we're working on our own things."

Whether or not Dawes follows in the footsteps of teammate Petr Prucha and becomes an instant star with the Rangers, one thing is clear: Playing in the NHL won't change Nigel Dawes' fundamental approach to hockey or the perspective he has on his own development.

"Things have worked out for me so far," he said. "I've continued to get better, and I think that's what you have to do after you're drafted. You can't sit back and coast. You've got to keep working hard."

fightstrap50
10-04-2006, 07:12 PM
2004-2005 NOTES
Has registered 50 goals and 26 assists for 76 points, along with 30 penalty minutes in 63 games…Has a +/- rating of +26…Played in his 200th career WHL game Oct. 29 against Saskatoon …Is first place in all-time goals (164)…Is the all-time franchise leader in career game winning goals (30). Named #3 star of the game against Saskatoon on Oct. 29…Recorded 20 multiple-point games this season…Has recorded 10 multi-goal games…Has recorded five multi-assist games…Had first multiple-point game (1-1-2) on Sept. 28 against Vancouver…Had first multiple-goal game (2-0-2) on Oct. 8 against Calgary…Had first multiple-assist game (1-2-3) on Oct. 16 against Vancouver…Named 1st star of the game vs. Prince George (W 2-1) on Nov. 5… Named 1st star vs. Calgary (W 3-0) on Jan. 8…Named 1st star vs. Portland (W 5-2) on Jan. 15… Named 1st star on Jan 29 against Medicine Hat (W 3-1)…Participated in the ADT Canada/Russia Challenge in Red Deer on Dec. 1.

2004-2005 Playoffs:
Kootenay will take on Kamloops in Series H of the WHL Quarterfinals, beginning Mar. 25… Appeared in four games during the 04’ – 05’ WHL Playoffs, scoring four points (two goals, two assists)...Named 1st star of the game on Mar. 26 vs. Kamloops (W 3-2)…Kootenay has won the first round series, 4-2… They will now face Everett (Ivan Baranka) in the Western Conference Semifinals, beginning April 8… Appeared in four games during the Western Conference Semifinals, scoring three points (two goal, one assist)…Named 2nd star of the game on Apr. 11 @ Everett…Kootenay swept the series, 4-0…They have advanced to the Western Conference Finals and will face Kelowna…The first game of the series begins Friday, April 22nd at 7:00 PM MDT from the Cranbrook Recreation Complex...Skated in four games during the Western Conference Finals, scoring seven points (two goals, five assists)…Named 1st star of the game on Apr. 24 (W 3-2)…
Dawes registered a six-game point streak from April 11 to April 27, scoring ten points (four goals, six assists)…The Kootenay Ice were defeated in the Western Conference Finals (Series, 4-2).

Streaks/Awards/Rankings:
The Western Hockey League• announced on Mar. 21 that the Kootenay Ice have won the Scotty Munro Memorial Trophy as WHL regular season champions for the first time in franchise history.
Registered a 20-game point streak from Feb. 5 to March 19, scoring• 33 points (24 goals, nine assists).
Ranked 2nd in the WHL with 50 goals and• first with 14 game-winning goals.
Ranked first on his team with team with• 50 goals and 18 power play goals.
Had a five-game point streak from Sept.• 25 to Oct. 2, registering six points (two goals, four assists) over the span.
Had four-game assist streak from Sept. 28 to Oct. 2, collecting four• assists.
Had a six-game point streak from Oct. 16 to Oct. 26, registering• 11 points (seven goals, four assists) over the span.
Had a four-game goal• streak from Nov. 5 to Nov. 14, registering five goals over the span.
• Appeared in six games for Team Canada at the 2005 World Junior Championships, registering two goals and four assists for six points, along with six penalty minutes in helping them capture the gold medal.
Registered a seven-game• point streak from Jan. 7 to Jan. 22, scoring 11 points (6 goals, 5 assists).
Named 1st star on Feb. 8 against Red Deer (W 6-1) and 2nd star on• Feb. 9 vs. Tri-City (W 1-0).
Named first star on Feb. 11 vs. Medicine Hat• (W 5-3).
Named Greyhound WHL Player of The Week, Feb. 7 – Feb. 13.•
• Named 2nd star on Feb. 15 vs. Prince George (W 8-0).
Named 2nd star on Feb.• 19 @ Calgary (T 3-3) and on Feb 20. @ Medicine Hat (W 2-0).
Named 1st star• on Feb. 23 @ Prince George (W 6-2).
Named 2nd star on Feb. 26 @ Kelowna (L• 1-4).
Named 1st star on Mar. 16 @ Tri-City (W 3-1).•
Named 1st star on• Mar.18 vs. Spokane (W 3-2).

What People Are Saying:
“Dawes• remains a significant NHL prospect because of his offensive tangibles. He is a prolific goal scorer who possesses some of the best hands at the CHL level. He is quick and can make moves with ease at top speed. Dawes is also a very hard worker who, despite his size, often sacrifices his body to make plays in the slot. He’s possesses a top-notch hockey sense. All players Dawes’ size face an uphill battle, but he’s got the skills and the brain to come out on top.” –Talent Analysis, www.hockeysfuture.com.
He is a competitor, a good passer• and he can make plays with the best of them,” Scout, Andre Beaulieu, following Team Canada’s 9-0 win over Team Germany at the 2005 World Jr. Championships on December 28.
“He has very good vision and awareness. Passes the puck• extremely well and puts himself in position to make a play. I like his skills and intelligence,” Head Scout, Dave Brown, following Team Canada’s 8-1 win over Team Sweden at the 2005 World Jr. Championships on December 27.
“Nigel• played very well. He created numerous scoring opportunities for himself and others. He’s calm under pressure and has a terrific shot. He’s hungry to score and not afraid to go into the tough areas for the puck,” Scout, Rich Brown, following Team Canada’s 8-1 win over Team Sweden at the 2005 World Jr. Championships on December 27.
“Very active and involved tonight. He has a• terrific resolve and his game doesn’t change, the effort is genuine and consistent.” -Head Coach, Tom Renney, following Kootenay Ice 5-2 win over Tri-City Americans on January 23, 2005.
“He’s got good core strength he’s• tough to knock off the puck in front and down low. He’s smart and has very good instincts in the OZ, he’s got top end skill and does a very good job tracking and getting his stick on the puck.”- Scout, Shanon Sather, on February 18, 2005.
“Always dangerous entering the zone. He shoots the puck so well. Shoots in• stride and has an extremely quick release. He is leading his team not only with his offense during games, but also with his work ethic in practice. This is his team.” Scout, Ernie Gare, on February 26, 2005.

2003-2004 NOTES
Skated in 56 matches with the Kootenay Ice of the Western Hockey League (WHL), registering 47 goals and 23 assists for 70 points, along with 31 penalty minutes ... Ranked first on the team with 47 goals, 70 points and 15 power play goals ... Ranked fourth in the WHL with 47 goals and was 20th with 70 points ... Tied for seventh in the WHL with 15 power play goals ... Received the Western Conference Brad Hornung Trophy for Most Sportsmanlike Player of the Year ... Named to the Western Conference First All-Star Team … Named Kootenay’s Fans Choice Player of the Year ... Selected as Kootenay’s Most Valuable Player ... Named WHL Player of the Week twice during the season ... Named Player of the Month for September and October ... Selected to Team WHL along with 21 other players to skate in the 2003 RE/MAX Canada Russia Challenge Series ... Joined the Hartford Wolf Pack of the American Hockey League following the conclusion of Kootenay’s season and appeared in four matches ... Represented Team Canada at the 2004 World Junior Championships, leading all tournament players with six goals and helping Team Canada garner the silver medal ... Tied for first among all players with 11 points in six games ... Named Team Canada's top player in the gold medal game.

JUNIOR CAREER
Has appeared in 182 career matches with the Kootenay Ice of the Western Hockey League (WHL), registering 109 goals and 87 assists for 196 points, along with 99 penalty minutes ... Was Kootenay's fifth round selection (73rd overall) in the 2000 WHL Bantam Draft. 2001-02: Skated in 54 games, tallying 15 goals and 19 assists for 34 points, along with 14 penalty minutes ... Tied for seventh on the team with 34 points ... Registered nine goals and six assists for 15 points in 22 playoff matches, along with eight penalty minutes while helping Kootenay capture the Memorial Cup ... Tied for fifth on the team in playoff scoring with 15 points. 2002-03: Appeared in 72 games, tallying 47 goals and 45 assists for 92 points, along with 54 penalty minutes ... Ranked first on the team and was third in the WHL with 47 goals ... Ranked first on the team and was 10th in the WHL with 92 points ... Tied for first in the WHL with 22 power play goals ... Recorded 12 points (four goals, eight assists) in 11 post-season contests.
INTERNATIONAL CAREER
Represented Team Canada at the 2004 IIHF Under-20 World Junior Championship in Finland where he notched 11 points (six goals, five assists), helping team Canada capture the silver medal ... Named Team Canada’s player of the game after notching three points (two goals, one assist) in the gold medal game vs. Team USA.

fightstrap50
10-04-2006, 08:19 PM
Site wouldnt let me fit all his stats on one post so here is last years stats from the AHL's Hartford Wolfpack

2005-2006 NOTES
Skated in 77 games for Hartford, notching 35 goals and 32 assists for 67 points and 21 penalty minutes … Ranked second on the Wolf Pack in goals (35), tied for third in points (67) and plus/minus (+16), and sixth in assists (32) … Ended regular season ranked second on club in power play goals (15) and tied for third in short-handed tallies (2)… Finished regular season as second-leading rookie goal-scorer in AHL, and tied for fourth in points among first-year players… Named Second Star honors in 3-2 overtime win vs. Lowell on Apr. 9, recording two goals, via the power play and shorthanded, and one assist for three points … Earned First Star honors on Apr. 1 vs. Springfield, tallying the game-winning and an assist, as well as recording 11 shots (tying a team season high), in 5-3 win…Tied a Wolf Pack franchise record with five points (one goal and four assists for five points) in 9-3 victory over Springfield on Mar. 31 … Notched his 30th goal of season on Mar. 17 at Norfolk … Recorded seven-game point-scoring streak (five goals and four assists for nine points) from Feb. 24–Mar 8…Recorded his first professional hat trick on Mar. 3 at San Antonio, earning First-Star honors in 4-2 win … Turned in Second-Star performance on Jan. 25 vs. Springfield, notching one goal and two assists for three points in 6-3 win … Named CCM/Vector AHL Player of the Week for week ending Jan. 15, recording six goals and one assist for seven points in three games … Netted a pair of goals for the third straight game and earned Second Star honors one Jan. 14 vs. Portland…Posted his second straight two-goal game (Second Star) in 4-0 victory one Jan 13 vs. Hershey…Notched two goals (including a short handed tally) and one assist for three points and Second Star honors in 4-3 shootout win at Bridgeport on Jan. 11, … Notched game-winning, shootout goal in Wolf Pack’s first ever shootout win on Dec. 9 at Springfield…Named game’s First Star 12/4 @ Bridgeport, after scoring two goals in a 5-3 win…Registered a then-Wolf Pack season-high four points (two goals, two assists) on Nov. 23 vs. Albany, earning Second Star honors … Scored power play goal and added an assist, good for Third-Star nod, one Oct. 30 at Manchester…Netted first professional goal and added an assist, earning Second Star honors, in 6-5 win at Hershey on Oct. 22.

2005-06 Playoffs:Appeared in 13 post-season games for the Wolf Pack, recording six goals and six assists for 12 points and nine penalty minutes … Ranked second in the wolf pack in goals (6) and points (12), and third in assists (6)…Recorded four goals and four assists for eight points in the Atlantic Division Semifinal series vs. Manchester … Named Second Star on Apr. 23 at Manchester, notching two goals and two assists for four points and a +3 ranking in a 7-0 win in Game Four of Division Semifinals.

rinkrat
10-04-2006, 08:49 PM
congratulations,Nigel.Go for it. :clap:

Chipper
10-04-2006, 08:58 PM
Great story and now its his turn to show the big boys he is for real and will stick as an impact player for the Rangers.

Kristi
10-04-2006, 09:38 PM
I am thrilled for him!!! What an exciting time for him! I'm sure his parents are just so proud!!

Spungy
10-05-2006, 04:01 PM
Great news!!

now when is the Rangers opening game?