PDA

View Full Version : Beach Learns a Lesson (Kassian)

Tipped Off
10-05-2006, 09:31 AM
Learning to keep His Mouth Shut
October 5 2006 at 7:43 AM

EVERETT - Kyle Beach received a harsh lesson in what life in the WHL is all about.

The Everett Silvertips' 16-year-old winger is one of the brightest young talents in the league. A first-round pick in the 2005 bantam draft, Beach has the size and skill to become one of the elite power forwards in the league.

However, Beach's talent for hockey is matched by his talent for trash talk, and last Saturday night against Kamloops, his lip got him into trouble. As a result, Beach is considering cleaning up his game a bit.

"It was tough. It was a really physical game," Beach said about Saturday's 4-2 victory at the Everett Events Center. "I caused some of it, but lots of it just came on. They showed me I can't be doing that stuff and that I'm going to have to clean up."

Beach had run-ins with a pair of Kamloops overagers, enforcer Matt Kassian and captain Reid Jorgensen, and appeared to be targeted by the Blazers.

The animosity between Beach and Kassian began before the game even started when the two jawed at one another during the pregame warmup. Then in the first period Kassian grabbed Beach, threw him to the ice and jumped on his back, earning two roughing penalties and a 10-minute misconduct.

Then in the third period Beach was near the boards when Jorgensen rammed him hard into the boards with a high hit. The hit left Beach crumpled on the ice and Jorgensen with a roughing penalty.

Beach didn't return to the game following Jorgensen's hit, but he was back practicing at full speed by Monday.

"(Jorgensen) caught me on the blindside, I had no idea it was coming," Beach said. "I went into the boards awkwardly and had a bit of a headache, but nothing serious."

While Beach might have escaped the incidents without any lasting damage, they might have the effect of changing the way Beach conducts himself on the ice.

"It could change things for sure, not as far as the way I play, but just the amount of talking I do with the other team," Beach said. "In the long run that's what really (irritates them), and that's what I can't afford to do because if I take hits like that every night I'm going to end up hurt. I just have to know I can't play like that 72 games a season, take that beating and hope to stay healthy all year."

Ward traded: The Silvertips found a new home for goaltender Chris Ward when they traded him to Kamloops on Wednesday for a sixth-round pick in the 2007 bantam draft.

Ward was Everett's fourth-round selection in the 2004 bantam draft. However, he found himself third in the pecking order among the three 17-year-old goaltenders - Ward, Matt Esposito and Shayne Barrie - vying for the backup spot behind Leland Irving and was cut early in the preseason, though he remained on Everett's 50-player protected list.

Ward never played for Everett, though he did serve as a backup during last season's Western Conference finals when Irving was injured.

Slap shots: Everett defenseman Eric Doyle is listed as day-to-day on the injury report. Doyle suffered a head injury during Friday's 4-1 victory over Kelowna. ... The KRKO (1380 AM) radio broadcasts of both Friday's home game against Spokane and Saturday's home game against Seattle are being delayed. Friday's game is delayed until after high school football. Saturday's will be joined in progress following Washington State University football. ... A blockbuster trade took place Wednesday when Prince George acquired 19-year-old right wing Devin Setoguchi, one of the premier players in the league, from Saskatoon in exchange for 15-year-old forward Stefan Elliott, who was the Cougars' first-round pick in this year's bantam draft, plus a first rounder in the 2008 bantam draft.