PDA

View Full Version : Giants 6 @ Cougars 0 Oct 6th

Kassian
10-06-2006, 08:50 PM
Giants are up 2-0 after the first period.

Machacek got hit hard by Eric Hunter and he has left the game. I haven't heard any update as of yet. He was laying there motionless for several seconds and he looked real woozy going off the ice. I don't think he'll be back tonight. Hopefully if it's a concussion it isn't very serious.

Mikkelson and Lamb tried to go after Hunter but like usual he turned the other cheek and pretended like nothing happened.

dondo
10-06-2006, 08:54 PM
Kassian did you see what happened or are you listening to the game like I am

Kassian
10-06-2006, 08:57 PM
Kassian did you see what happened or are you listening to the game like I am

Yeah I saw it. I'm watching the game.

I reviewed the hit a few times and I can't really say that it was a dirty hit. But Machacek was in a vulnerable position and Hunter seemed to notice that and went at him hard. Either way, I hope someone takes a run at Hunter. :evil:

The PG assistant coach pretty much guaranteed a win during a pregame interview. I hope we really rub it in their face.

Kassian
10-06-2006, 09:02 PM
Lucic just put a pretty solid hit on Hunter. Lamb drilled Mihalik pretty good into the boards and Robertson went after him.

These PG guys are such homers. It's really pathetic. Complaining about how there was no penalty on the Lamb hit on Mihalik yet didn't say a word when Hunter went after Machacek.

Kassian
10-06-2006, 09:55 PM
This really sucks. The webcast cut out right before the 2nd period ended and it still isn't working. Looks like I'll be stuck with the radio for the remainder of the evening. :(

Knuckles Muldoon
10-06-2006, 09:55 PM
4-0. The clinic continues.....
:spineyes:

Swando
10-06-2006, 10:10 PM
Lucic just put a pretty solid hit on Hunter. Lamb drilled Mihalik pretty good into the boards and Robertson went after him.

These PG guys are such homers. It's really pathetic. Complaining about how there was no penalty on the Lamb hit on Mihalik yet didn't say a word when Hunter went after Machacek.

Although last years PG color man was the WORST you can imagine..Sinclair who is a quality annoucer is such a homer/winer. He always is complaining about the refs...referring to last year etc. Pretty pathetic.

Kassian
10-06-2006, 10:16 PM
I can put up with most homers. After all it is part of their job to be a bit biased. But some of the stuff these two clowns have said tonight is just beyond ridiculous....

rinkrat
10-06-2006, 10:37 PM
I agree about the webcast.I got a refund for the Seattle game that didn't work.Now I'll get a refund for this one...They can't be making money can they?
call Kathy at 1 888 922 6722

Beaner
10-06-2006, 10:42 PM
Well, I only listened to the game, from the Giants radio feed so its a bit difficult to give a recap. Anyway, from the sound of it Vancouver pretty much had control fo the game from the get go after scoring a short handed goal early, and never really let up after that. Game saw 2 players leave after hits, Mihalik and Machecek, neither hit got a penalty on the plays. Sounded to me like once again PG was flat and for whatever reason just could not generate anything.

NOTES
Cyr and Slade got the starts
Scharff (xtra 20), Toigo, Bouma, Czibre, Sexsith were the Giants scratches.
Mihalik left the game in the second period after being hit by Lamb.
Machacek left the game int he first period after being hit by Hunter in the first.
Shots 33-14 Giants
PP's Cougars 0/10, Giants 2/9

GOALS
1. VAN Reese, (5) (Watt), 1:08 (SH) 4-5, Watt and Reese ont he 2-1, Watt dishes to Reese and he buries it
1. VAN Blum, (2) (Kraus, Reese), 17:21 (PP) 5-4, Kraus hits Blum with a pass as Blum is cheating in from the point, and he makes no mistake.
2. VAN Mikkelson, (1) (Lucic, Kraus), 3:05 (PP) 5-4, Mikkelson with the a wrist shot from the point
3. VAN Watt, (5) (Reese, Mikkelson), 1:50 (SH) 4-5, Watt gets the breakaway and puts the chake and bake on Cyr and gets the deke goal.
3. VAN Watt, (6) (Franson, Flatters), 7:31 Watt gets another goal off a rebound ont his play.
3. VAN Watt, (7) (Reese), 19:59 With 2 seconds left Reese wins a face-off right to Watt who one times it past Cyr.

FISTICUFFS

Not going to recap who won what, will wait for people who actually watched the fights.

Lamb vs Robertson
This starts after the Lamb hit on Mihalik. Both got 5 + 2 for this incident.

There was a bit of a linebrawl at the end of the game, someone who was there or watched on line will have to give a "what happened" for us who missed it. Still waiting for the official penalties to come down the pipe fromt eh WHL Site.

OFFICIATING
Berdusca and Hyatt.

CONGRATS
Congrats to Slade for getting his 20th career shut-out tonight. 1 More to tie Bridges for the WHL all time career shut-out records.

And congrats to Festerling on his 250th WHL game.

3 Stars
1. VAN - 9 Jason Reese
2. VAN - 11 J. D. Watt
3. VAN - 4 Brendan Mikkelson

--

Bonner reports that Spencer will most likely miss the next game, and more than likely out a week.

---

Kassian
10-06-2006, 10:46 PM
I'd give a recap of the brawl at the end if I could but the webcast cut out right before the 2nd period ended. :mad:

Beaner
10-06-2006, 10:55 PM
I'd give a recap of the brawl at the end if I could but the webcast cut out right before the 2nd period ended. :mad:

Well no fighting majors handed out at the end, just a whole bunch of misconducts and Watt and Klym both getting double minors for roughing.

Klym got an extra 2 for a slash and a Game Misconduct.

Kassian
10-06-2006, 11:00 PM
Well no fighting majors handed out at the end, just a whole bunch of misconducts and Watt and Klym both getting double minors for roughing.

Klym got an extra 2 for a slash and a Game Misconduct.

Yeah I just noticed that as well. So I guess Kenward and Wilms just made it sound like more than it actually was. :spineyes:

Knuckles Muldoon
10-06-2006, 11:05 PM
The Coogs have got to be stunned by what the Giants did to them this week. Losing is one thing. Being outplayed badly three games in a row? Pretty demoralizing with all the talent they got, especially up front.

old_time_hockey
10-07-2006, 12:00 AM
I was kinda listening to the game. Had family over so I couldn't listen fulltime.

But to me it sounded like PG tried to turn this into slapshot 3.

But what ever. 6-0 Giants tonight to create a 7-0 record.

WTG Giants!!!!!!! Keep on rolling boys! The game on Wednesday really showed your true colours. Stick to the game plan and come back with a back up in net. Must be a hard choice of who to reassign/trade between Tommy T and Sexsmith. Two quality tenders.

I am sorry that I have to miss tomorrow nights game against Speedy Creek due to once again family :burningma Should be another beating by YOUR WHL champion Vancouer Giants!!!!

(PS - yes...I have had a little to drink tonight. That explains my homer and less than aliquant comments. Lots to celebrate. Giants shutout, Lions dominating win, Nucks win in OT and my friend accepted a sweet job offer :thumb: )

dondo
10-07-2006, 12:04 AM
text book game tonight, only fault might have been taking too many penalties but that's splitting hairs. Listened to this one on the radio, but it sounded like the Giants were strong on the puck all night long and Reese and Watt wow.

still no home for my recap -- so here it is.

enjoy

Giants Skin Cats
Vancouver 6 Prince George 0

After the monster comeback the Giants had on Wednesday, clawing their way back into the game being down 4-1 with five minutes left, it was expected that the Cougars would come out on fire, but that fire seemed to be doused before the drop of the puck. The Cougars brought a flaccid game out of the gate, which was not helped by the Giants playing their best gap game of the new season. The Giants controlled the game in all three zones and played a patient game while still taking it to the Cats when they had the opportunity. The Vancouver squad held the Cougars to single digits in shots in all three periods and rarely gave them a good shot on Slade all night. After the Everett loss tonight the Giants remain the only undefeated team in the dub.

The Giants got into penalty trouble early on, but it turned out that it didn’t matter as they scored a short-handed goal while killing the penalty. Picking off a sloppy pass, JD Watt barreled down the ice. Jason Reese recognized the break and the two players broke into the zone. Watt fed a streaking Reese in the slot and Jason made no mistake burying it behind Real Cyr. Then late in the first, on the PP, Reese stood on the face-off dot in the PG zone and patiently waited until Tim Kraus found some open ice. Kraus fed Jonny Blum at the point and the young d-man got a nice shot through traffic which beat Cyr.

The Giants went up by three early in the second, again on the PP, when Milan Lucic pressed along the half boards and fed Tim Kraus who dished the puck to Brendan Mikkelson at the point. Mikkelson shot through traffic and the puck was deflected by something in the front before finding twine behind Cyr, for his first goal of the season. It stayed like that until the end of the second. The Giants held the Cougars to only 3 shots in the middle stanza, which added to their 5 in the first period still did not add up to double digits. Spencer Machacek went down after a questionable hit from Eric Hunter, had to helped off the ice and did not return. He will be assessed and will probably not see action for a week if a concussion is suspected.

The third period ended up being the JD Watt show, where the tough winger not known for his scoring prowess potted three goals in row for the natural hat-trick. The first being a shorthanded marker just 1:50 into the third. Like a déjà vu version of the first period shorthanded tally it was Reese and Watt who combined for the goal. Then Watt scored the first even strength marker of the game off of a feed from Cody Franson and John Flatters. Then with a mere 2 seconds left in game, Jason Reese won a face-off cleanly to Watt who wound up and powered it past a stunned Cyr. Off the ensuing face-off Kyle Klym took a poke at Watt, which started an ice wide brawl. Real Cyr even left his net to skate down and goad Dustin Slade into the fray, but was intercepted by the officials and ushered to his bench.

Dustin Slade recorded his 20th regular season career WHL shutout, and is only one away from tying Seattle Thunderbird goalie Bryan Bridges who currently holds the record at 21. JD Watt and Jason Reese notched four point nights each, with Reese getting 1G and 3A and Watt getting 3G and 1A. Looks like the third line is finding some nice chemistry and those two are a great PK pairing. The Giants put together a near perfect game keeping the Cougars out of their zone and pressuring the Cats in their end for most of the game. The gap control was excellent as the G-Men took away any room for the PG players to use to gain any momentum.

The Giants out-shot the Cougars 33-14, notching two PP goals, two SH goals and two even strength goals for the win. Giants were 2 for 9 on the PP, while the Cats were stoned on all 10 of their opportunities. The Giants return home to take on the Swift Current Broncos for their only contest of this season. Puck drops at 7 pm. The Broncos are currently enjoying the crow’s-nest view in the East, leading the conference with 4 wins and 2 losses in their first six games and currently riding a 3 game winning streak. The Giants will be putting their unbeaten streak on the line, 7-0 for the season and 27-0 versus WHL opponents going back to previous season. Should be a good one.

Three Stars
1 – Jason Reese
2 - JD Watt
3 – Brendan Mikkelson

smileyjones
10-07-2006, 12:10 AM
Slapshot 3??

While that's what happens when JD Watt and the boys celebrate like they won the Memorial Cup (the one that got away??) at the end of a 6-0 whitewash in October. Great team, but losing 6-0 at home is embarrassing enough. Rubbing it in like JD did tonight is what gets guys hurt.

And your announcers weren't overdoing it on the linebrawl. Everyone was in on the act and a few of the boys were really throwing em'.

PG's not that bad. Lots of guys hurt right now and appear to have some chemistry problems. I suspect you will see a better team in the coming months.

I HATE TO SAY THIS....but I can't remember a better looking hockey team come through here in years and that includes the recent Kelowna Rockets and Kootenay Ice Memorial cup teams. If Vancouver keeps playing like they are they won't lose 5 games this year. I hate em', but they're awfully good. :burningma

KBF
10-07-2006, 12:17 AM
Cougs not as good as first thought eh?

Beaner
10-07-2006, 12:20 AM
Slapshot 3??

While that's what happens when JD Watt and the boys celebrate like they won the Memorial Cup (the one that got away??) at the end of a 6-0 whitewash in October. Great team, but losing 6-0 at home is embarrassing enough. Rubbing it in like JD did tonight is what gets guys hurt.

I figured thats what started the donnybrook. I could hear JD over the radio Feed whooping it up. That had to really piss the Cougars off after getting beat like that and then having it get rubbed in their faces.

Strange that no one got a fighting Major though at the end of the game? :confused:

Section_Z
10-07-2006, 12:44 AM
The way the 730 radio boys made it sound, I was expecting suspensions on Saturday for both teams....Cyr skating across the ice to egg on Slade, Watt in a battle.....I was surprised about how fast the paly resumed though. Maybe having the 4 officials helped quell this potential barn brawl..

Cougar Guy
10-07-2006, 12:49 AM
Cougs not as good as first thought eh?

Hard to use these games as a measuring stick. When you look at who we are missing and who are playing, the Giants SHOULD walk all over us, especially considering they are basically healthy. Even the Giant players must realize that this is nowhere near the best squad that PG will be icing as the season progresses. I know I'm not panicking.

I also had a pretty good view of the hit on Machacek and I didn't think it was a dirty hit and it also wasn't a very hard shot. It looked like he may have bent down a bit as Hunter hit him and he probably hit his head on the boards. It looked to me like he was out when he hit the ice and he was certainly woozy as he was helped off the ice. It looked like he may have been throwing up as he was going into the tunnel so I'm thinking that he was probably knocked out and experiencing some concussion type symptoms. Hopefully he's okay.

I didn't see the hit on Mihalik so I can't comment and I know better than to trust our pbp guys :)

KBF
10-07-2006, 12:57 AM
Come on, how can Cougar fans still use excuses? Throw in Setoguchi, the overated Dudas all you want, fact is the Giants are miles ahead of the Cougars with or without a full lineup as well as the rest of the division. Cougars should be worrying about the Blazers, cause so far the Cougs have proved zip, zero, zilch.

dondo
10-07-2006, 12:59 AM
um.. its not about inuries or talent at this point -- its about complete and utter lack of effort. I was shocked at how complacent the Cougs were playing here and from what it sounds like tonight was no different.

I know Coug fans need to point to something, but really its time for a bit of a shake-up -- also you guys are carrying 5 OAs right now so any thoughts on who might be staying on who's getting on a bus?

I expect that the Cougars will find their stride though and the Giants are a hot team right now, so it shoud all balance out, but whatveer you do don't blame Cyr, or White for that matter as goaltending is not PG's problem right now.

smileyjones
10-07-2006, 01:14 AM
Not exactly sure where you guys (especially KBF) are getting the idea that Cougars fans are putting out all kinds of excuses.

Tonights Game FACT......Cougars BAD......Giants GOOD

Not much more to it that that. Injuries are a fact, and I do expect the team to improve.

As I said in my earlier post...Vancouver will dominate all comers this year if they are on their game. Wait until they visit you in Kamloops KBF. You'll sit in the stands and tear your hair out....they are that damn good.

Jimmy
10-07-2006, 01:19 AM
All good to hear except JD making a big show about making it 6-0
A hat trick is all well and good but the game was over, it was 6-0, take the grats from your linemates and get off the ice.

Still loving this streak though. :thumb:

Kassian
10-07-2006, 03:21 AM
I figured thats what started the donnybrook. I could hear JD over the radio Feed whooping it up. That had to really piss the Cougars off after getting beat like that and then having it get rubbed in their faces.

Strange that no one got a fighting Major though at the end of the game? :confused:

It looked like J.D. pointed to the crowd too after his hat trick goal. So if that's the case he was just asking for it. I don't mind taunting as long as you are willing to back it up. And Watt usually is. I did catch a clip of the end of the game incident and Watt was basically jumped from behind by Grossmann. Grossmann was just throwing right and right at Watt, one which sent his helmet flying off. Then he continued to hit J.D. with body shots. But it didn't really appear that any real fights occured (which makes the box score make a little more sense).

Knuckles Muldoon
10-07-2006, 10:42 AM
Not exactly sure where you guys (especially KBF) are getting the idea that Cougars fans are putting out all kinds of excuses.

Tonights Game FACT......Cougars BAD......Giants GOOD

Not much more to it that that. Injuries are a fact, and I do expect the team to improve.

As I said in my earlier post...Vancouver will dominate all comers this year if they are on their game. Wait until they visit you in Kamloops KBF. You'll sit in the stands and tear your hair out....they are that damn good.
Good points. I am utterly amazed at how completely the Giants are beating teams this year. Yes, they're defense is outstanding, and yes Slade is a good goalie. But the forward group is really what is surprising me. On paper, they aren't really as talented as a lot of teams, but hey work so damn hard for 60 minutes every night. And now scoring is coming big-time from some chronic underachievers (notably Watt and Reese). The Giants are just a prime example of what happens when you listen to your coaching, work hard and play as a team. Its a very simple formula that's not always so easy to execute, yet they're doing it every night out. The Coogs can dress their best line-up, including Seto , Dudas et al, but if they don't match the Giants work ethic and focus for 60 minutes, it won't matter one lick. The Giants are a machine that is worth more far more than the sum of the parts. When you can rotate 5 different guys in and out of the line-up each night and not miss a beat, then you know that they're all on the same page. For all their scoring talent , the Coogs don't have this going for them at this point. And KBF, make sure you catch 'em when they come to your town. Like the Coogs fans, I think its important you feel the pain also.

dondo
10-07-2006, 11:27 AM
well I was utterly amazed at how the Giants dominated in the playoffs last year knuckles -- that was a crazy run against some great teams -- really expected better from the Memorial Cup though (but maybe that's just greedy) :D .

yeah its all good to trash talk if you can back it up but scoring with 2 secs left inwhat is already a blow-out, and then taunting on top of that JD got off easy imo -- 'm pretty sure he wouldn't have even taken the shot if the slim possibility of a hattrick wasn't in the making (a natural at that), but to taunt afterwards is tantamount to celebrating heartily after an empty net goal. I was kinda hoping we were a bit classier than that.

yeah when the team plays their game they are crazy-good, and the depth scoring has answered all the critics who didn't think we had enough top players who could score. I love Don Hay coached teams, there's personal responsibility and teammate responsibility and it's all one thing on this team.

KBF
10-07-2006, 11:30 AM
well I was utterly amazed at how the Giants dominated in the playoffs last year knuckles -- that was a crazy run against some great teams -- really expected better from the Memorial Cup though (but maybe that's just greedy) :D .

yeah its all good to trash talk if you can back it up but scoring with 2 secs left inwhat is already a blow-out, and then taunting on top of that JD got off easy imo -- 'm pretty sure he wouldn't have even taken the shot if the slim possibility of a hattrick wasn't in the making (a natural at that), but to taunt afterwards is tantamount to celebrating heartily after an empty net goal. I was kinda hoping we were a bit classier than that.

yeah when the team plays their game they are crazy-good, and the depth scoring has answered all the critics who didn't think we had enough top players who could score. I love Don Hay coached teams, there's personal responsibility and teammate responsibility and it's all one thing on this team.

Its really surreal now having to go against a Don Hay coached team. He was great here in Kamloops and boy, we sure know how many fans pulled their hair out in those Blazer teams of years gone bye.

Cougar Guy
10-07-2006, 11:50 AM
Who was providing excuses? I'll be the first to say that the Giants dominated us both games and that they were clearly the superior team on both nights. I'd like to think that I've been around these and other boards long enough to have people know that I'm not one to bring out the same ole "refs" and "injury" excuses everytime a game is lost.

Now that being said, you'd have to be missing a brain to honestly believe that the roster that suited up for PG in the last two games will be the same roster that will suit up for the majority of the season. That's why I'm not panicking about this season in the least. If we lose games like that when our best players are all healthly and we are not playing the hottest team in the CHL, I'll be putting the heat on the team. For the time being, we got spanked and we'll put it behind us and move on. Those young guys in the lineup will learn from it and the vets will also.

Have a great day!

KBF
10-07-2006, 12:00 PM
Once again, I really don't think the Cougars are that good on the ice, they may look pretty on paper but I don't think Vandencamp is a WHL coach still, and you still had Robertson, Fuller, Tyrell, Walker, Drazenovic, Hunter etc. Still a more than adequate team on paper. Setoguchi hasn't even played for the Cougars yet and you didn't lose anyone off your roster to get him, so that doesn't warrant anything.

Its just the way it is, the Cougars will not compete with the Giants, I know how arrogant the Cougars media and management and fans are getting, but for godsakes, the games aren't won on paper and the Cougs have had talented teams before who sunk worse than the Titanic. I think the way Kelowna and Kamloops are rebuilding is the way to go, other than Tyrell and Rai who else are the Cougars trying to develop? Looks like a mess to me and the Cougs once more will struggle big time next season.

Cougar Guy
10-07-2006, 12:50 PM
I think the way Kelowna and Kamloops are rebuilding is the way to go

Huh? Didn't you say this on your own board a few days ago:

"So apparently the Cougars acquire Setoguchi. I pray that Dean doesn't just sit back and watch the Giants and Cougars load up and be satisfied with his team. We need to try and answer and get a guy like McCardle. I really hope the deal for Butler is only the begining. I think Dean needs to try and make this a succesful season as the rebuilding phrase has worn out its welcome"

Just wondering which stance you are really taking :)

In all honesty KBF, I don't know if a healthy Cougars lineup will be able to beat the Giants. Heck, I don't know if any team in the Dub will be able to beat the Giants, they look that good. What I do know is that the team that showed up for PG the last two nights is not our best squad and that the team that will be skating in November will be a substantially better unit. At the very least, I believe that team will be able to compete with the Giants on a more equitable basis. I guess we'll find out when we play them again basically 2 months from now.

There isn't much more I can say. On these 2 nights, the Giants looked great, we looked bad. Time will tell how everything else unfolds. Like I said, I'm not freaking out just yet, the season is only 6 games old :)

Knuckles Muldoon
10-07-2006, 12:59 PM
Huh? Didn't you say this on your own board a few days ago:

"So apparently the Cougars acquire Setoguchi. I pray that Dean doesn't just sit back and watch the Giants and Cougars load up and be satisfied with his team. We need to try and answer and get a guy like McCardle. I really hope the deal for Butler is only the begining. I think Dean needs to try and make this a succesful season as the rebuilding phrase has worn out its welcome"

Just wondering which stance you are really taking :)

:laugh:
KBF = Busted!

smileyjones
10-07-2006, 01:08 PM
I'm dead serious when I say that if Vancouver keeps this up they are not gonna lose 5 games this year. Can they sustain this level - who knows.

KBF, you seem so intent on calling the Cougs such an inept team - well I'm not so sure. Were they playing at their best, absolutely not. But are they a BAD team - NO.

So lets see, Vancouver is going to play the majority of their games in the BC division. I think the Cats may get them a time or two but Van should win the majority of the games. Lets say for arguments sake Kamloops is even a little better (even though I don't really believe that), so maybe they take 2 from Vancouver.

That leaves lots of games against Kelowna and Chilliwack...who today would have little to no chance of beating Van. US Division teams....Portland, no way. Spokane & Tri are better but won't compete with Van at this level. Seattle is about on the level as PG so right now it's be tough for them to beat Van.

Out East, the Hat is probably the best team and Vancouver owned them last year.

I think they are on a mission to Win the memorial cup. I will say once again, I hate em' but they're really are good.

Swando
10-07-2006, 01:14 PM
I'm dead serious when I say that if Vancouver keeps this up they are not gonna lose 5 games this year. Can they sustain this level - who knows.

KBF, you seem so intent on calling the Cougs such an inept team - well I'm not so sure. Were they playing at their best, absolutely not. But are they a BAD team - NO.

So lets see, Vancouver is going to play the majority of their games in the BC division. I think the Cats may get them a time or two but Van should win the majority of the games. Lets say for arguments sake Kamloops is even a little better (even though I don't really believe that), so maybe they take 2 from Vancouver.

That leaves lots of games against Kelowna and Chilliwack...who today would have little to no chance of beating Van. US Division teams....Portland, no way. Spokane & Tri are better but won't compete with Van at this level. Seattle is about on the level as PG so right now it's be tough for them to beat Van.

I think they are on a mission to Win the memorial cup. I will say once again, I hate em' but they're really are good.

Good comment---- welcome to the site. One comment in regards to Vancouver owning Medicine Hat last year...... it was the other way around!

KBF
10-07-2006, 01:56 PM

Where did I give any indication that the Cougs are a bad team? All I was saying was there are alot of Cougar fans and media that are touting the Cougars as contenders and I'm simply stating the obvious that they are not right now.

The acquisition of Setoguchi will be a huge addition, but it still won't be enough to overtake the Giants.

And my comment about how I hope Dean keeps improving the team going, I meant so we can battle it out with the Cougars for 2nd because nobody is going to overthrow the Giants for 1st.

I do believe that it was that fruitcake Jim Swanson that said the Blazers had a horrible team, which further proves that he has little to no knowledge about the rest of the league outside of Prince George. Pretty sad.

PGFlyfisher
10-07-2006, 04:18 PM
Please do keep in mind that not ALL Cougars fans agree with everything Swanson writes.

Sput
10-07-2006, 05:30 PM
I think also KBF, you have to keep in mind that many of those Cougar fans you always speak of are off the white boards, and to the best of my knowlege have never posted on here. A few are trickling across, but I know of the most rabid Cougar fan you are talking about, and I haven't seen posts from him on here......yet. The thing with Swanson is, like him or not, he's the sports editor for the Citizen and he gets the chance to publish his opinions, where most of the rest of us put our opinons on message boards. Many people I talk to don't agree with the guy in most of his articals, but he's all we got as far as daily papers go. Paining ALL Cougar fans with the same brush as Swanson and....you know who, is like someone saying ALL Blazer fans are just like you, and I know what a lot of people's opinions are of you.

KBF
10-07-2006, 05:57 PM
I think also KBF, you have to keep in mind that many of those Cougar fans you always speak of are off the white boards, and to the best of my knowlege have never posted on here. A few are trickling across, but I know of the most rabid Cougar fan you are talking about, and I haven't seen posts from him on here......yet. The thing with Swanson is, like him or not, he's the sports editor for the Citizen and he gets the chance to publish his opinions, where most of the rest of us put our opinons on message boards. Many people I talk to don't agree with the guy in most of his articals, but he's all we got as far as daily papers go. Paining ALL Cougar fans with the same brush as Swanson and....you know who, is like someone saying ALL Blazer fans are just like you, and I know what a lot of people's opinions are of you.

Take it easy there Sput. I never painted all Cougar fans with the same brush, hence words like COUGAR FANS ON NETWORK54 BOARDS, and SOME COUGAR FANS...I believe in the posts I've made in the last few days regarding that I've used those words.

As for what people think of me, not to sound arrogant but I really could careless if you haven't figured it out. I can be very harsh and forthright in my opinions and some people don't like it. But I believe I've done a good job at downplaying it lately.

Section_Z
10-08-2006, 11:55 AM

Notes on the Watt goal, that you all may want to think about before anyone else overly criticizes him.
1. It was a Hat trick. How many of you have scored a hat trick in a league as competive as the Dub.
2. Watt only scored 8 goals last year in 58 games. That hat trick made it 6 goals in 7 games thus far. I'd say that Watt had something to celebrate. 2 seconds left...6-0...whatever....it's natural hat trick.
3. I didn't see the game and maybe he did "taunt" or point to the audience...I didn't see anyone on these boards criticizing the Team when they pointed to the audience at the end of a certain game in Moose Jaw in the spring????? 4. And well, even if he said a few words which are not considered "classy" or stuck it to them in some way, J D Watt was born in 1987....he's only 19, he probably still has to drive around town with a big Green N on the back of his car. I think he can be given a little grace for a lapse in poise in his moment of rejoice.
5. I wonder if fans on an American Football board critizes their own players for Touchdown dances...
6. Repeat. It was a Hat Trick.
7. And think of this...If this was a home game, you'd all be thanking Watt for your free Chicken strips and plum sauce....=)

Kassian
10-08-2006, 12:57 PM
Notes on the Watt goal, that you all may want to think about before anyone else overly criticizes him.
1. It was a Hat trick. How many of you have scored a hat trick in a league as competive as the Dub.

That doesn't matter. It was a selfish goal, IMO. At that point in the game if you are going to try and run up the score (whether it's for a personal milestone or not) at some point you might have to face the music.

There are unwritten rules in hockey and that is one of them. Pointing at the crowd (and whatever else Watt might have said verbally) is going to attrack attention. Prince George was probably embarrassed about losing three times in a row twice at home to the Giants and all that does is add more fuel to the fire. Personally I love it, because it makes for a better rivalry. But sometimes incidents like that are going to happen because of it.

5. I wonder if fans on an American Football board critizes their own players for Touchdown dances...

Yes I do as a matter of fact. I hate it.

old_time_hockey
10-08-2006, 01:18 PM
7. And think of this...If this was a home game, you'd all be thanking Watt for your free Chicken strips and plum sauce....=)

Valid point.

But there is a fine line between doing it at home for your fans and doing it on the road. I think Watt or anyone else should score if the chance is there. Perhaps he went a little over the top in his celebration

But I remember times at games in the Giants first season when visiting teams ran up the score against the Giants and did the same thing.

dondo
10-08-2006, 02:37 PM
I like your points sectZ but there's a difference between celebrating a natural hat trick goal (will JD ever see one of those again), and doing an in your face kind of thing which is what I hear that JD did. Of course you celebrate and I firmly believe he really had no idea it would go in, but he had to take the shot.

but w/e that blip aside JD played a great game now he's finding his hard work is paying off. He'll probably taper off and Lucic will find the back of the net, but watching JD and Reese together is chemistry personified - and it pleases me - and I'm glad that Jason is proving me wrong -- go Jason go -- although he did diappear for a few shifts last night ;) :p .