PDA

View Full Version : Cooper

scamperdog
10-07-2006, 03:03 PM
Story in todays Kamloops Daily News says that Cooper has been put on waivers and if not picked up by anyone will probaly end up in the OHL.

Cougar Guy
10-07-2006, 03:07 PM
The OHL eh? I was actually thinking that thr Spruce Kings would pick him up. They could likely use him in their Royal Bank Cup bid and he would be familiar with Dempsey. Just a guess though.

scamperdog
10-07-2006, 03:12 PM
The OHL eh? I was actually thinking that thr Spruce Kings would pick him up. They could likely use him in their Royal Bank Cup bid and he would be familiar with Dempsey. Just a guess though.
That would be a good option, your final year and getting to play in the big show

Sput
10-07-2006, 03:51 PM
Thats been the suggestions around here too, that Coops and possibly Bowles could both end up across town. I didn't think the OHL was even a real possiblility, but you never know.

PGFlyfisher
10-07-2006, 04:06 PM
Maybe some fans don' t agree with me, but I feel it' s a shame to lose Cooper. Yes, some nights he was a defensive liability and maybe could have played a little more physical. But I' ve witnessed him make some very smart plays as well.
He is arguably the most dedicated Cougar in the last couple of years. He was the Ironman in the past couple of training camps and showed up in great shape every season.
If indeed he is cut, which it is looking like, I for one sincerely wish him the best whever he goes!

dondo
10-07-2006, 04:07 PM
I thought you had to born in the East to play in the OHL.. I suppose if someone is put on waivers and not picked up by another team in the league then the player in question is free to change leagues?

PGFlyfisher
10-07-2006, 04:29 PM
I thought you had to born in the East to play in the OHL.. I suppose if someone is put on waivers and not picked up by another team in the league then the player in question is free to change leagues?

Dalyn Flatt from Kootenay Ice apparently just went to Owen Sound. I think his hometown is in Manitoba. How far East? That is a good question.

Check out the "Roster moves" thread in the Kootenay Ice forum.

Toswammi
10-07-2006, 04:45 PM
As long as you clear waivers in your area you can play were ever you want.

dondo
10-07-2006, 05:02 PM
........ thx guys

oh btw since they put him on waivers and did not release him do they get compensation if a team in the other league picks him up?

Sput
10-07-2006, 05:19 PM
Its a loophole in the CHL that allows that movement. It isn't only with 20's either. I remember a few years ago, thats how Kamloops got Steve Gainey. He was born in Quebec (I believe anyway), and wasn't drafted in the bantam draft there. He then had to clear through the OHL, offered up to each team, and not picked by anyone. He then came around the the WHL where he played for Kamloops. So in this sense, you could be born on the west coast, clear all the drafts as a bantam and end up playing QMJHL in Haifax.

Sput
10-07-2006, 05:23 PM
........ thx guys

oh btw since they put him on waivers and did not release him do they get compensation if a team in the other league picks him up?

I think this works the same aswith the NHL. If the guy clears waivers, no one picks him up, the player is then free to go whereever he can/wants to go. Once he clears though, another WHL team can still pick him up with no compensation. I'm not sure of the timeframe for waivers, but I think its either 5 or 7 days. Probably 5 as that would put it the day before the 20yo deadline of Oct 12.

Beaner
10-07-2006, 05:30 PM
........ thx guys

Nada nothing zilch. Much like if a WHL team grabs him, the Cougars get nothing.

Sput
10-07-2006, 05:32 PM
Nada nothing zilch. Much like if a WHL team grabs him, the Cougars get nothing.

That is if a team doesn't pick him until after the waiver period is over. Until then there is some form of compensation.

bones
10-08-2006, 01:43 AM
There are 2 teams in the O that are interested in Coops, I believe it was Saginaw and Peterborough.

KBF
10-09-2006, 09:17 PM
Cougar Guy come on, why is it this year you Cougar fans are giving little to no respect for anyone? Its not like you are use to winning or earned the right to run another team down.

The Blazers have beaten SC, a team who only allowed 13 goals against before we got through with them, and should of beaten Everett, and have shown that they have alot more chemistry and even talent than the Cougars seem to have.

This isn't an attack at you at all cause you're a great poster, but I think too many Cougar fans on network54 at least are looking at the paper as opposed to the on ice product and no matter what, Giants in those 3 games didn't stop the Cougars from working hard, from the sounds of it doesn't sound they did any of that.

So give a little more credit to the Blazers, because come on no matter how bad they've been the last few years, for the most part they have stayed above you guys.

Cougar Guy
10-09-2006, 11:09 PM
I'm not sure what you're getting at here KBF as I don't remember "running another team down", that's not my style.

The only thing I can remember saying that may have offended you was a post where I said the Cougs were currently behind Kamloops but I discounted that a little bit given that we have played the Giants THREE times already. Honestly man, we've played almost half of our regular season meetings against the Giants already, right when they are hot and in the middle of a major league hot streak. I think that has to be taken into account at this early point of the season.

I've gone on the record in saying that I believe Vancouver will finish 1st, that PG will finish 2nd, that Kamloops will finish a SOLID 3rd (i.e. well ahead of Kelowna and Chilliwack) and that Kelowna and Chilliwack will fight it out for 4th and 5th. I don't see anything right now that would cause me to change that prediction.

You are right, games are not won on paper. That being said, I think this PG squad will turn things around and will start to win. I suppose that's the confidence that a fan has to have when they have a roster like we do. In other years I wouldn't have that confidence and I'm sure you've engaged in discussions with me on that very topic in other years. You know as well as I do that I'll be as critical of the Coogs as anyone if the team doesn't live up to their expectations.

As for other fans, I have no idea why they say the things they do, nor can I speak for them. I only speak for myself and I'd like to believe that people take me for what I post, not for what other Cougar fans may say. There are lots of us with vastly different opinions. I don't tend to lump people together and I would hope that I could be given that same courtesy.

bones
10-09-2006, 11:46 PM
Cougar Guy come on, why is it this year you Cougar fans are giving little to no respect for anyone? Its not like you are use to winning or earned the right to run another team down.

The Blazers have beaten SC, a team who only allowed 13 goals against before we got through with them, and should of beaten Everett, and have shown that they have alot more chemistry and even talent than the Cougars seem to have.

This isn't an attack at you at all cause you're a great poster, but I think too many Cougar fans on network54 at least are looking at the paper as opposed to the on ice product and no matter what, Giants in those 3 games didn't stop the Cougars from working hard, from the sounds of it doesn't sound they did any of that.

So give a little more credit to the Blazers, because come on no matter how bad they've been the last few years, for the most part they have stayed above you guys.

Where did this come from and why is it in a thread about Curtis Cooper????