PDA

View Full Version : New Helmets

mccabe23
02-18-2005, 04:41 PM
I noticed at the last game, Kelowna and Seattle were both sporting some fancy new helmets. Anyone know who makes these and what all the mesh-like slots in the helmets are for? Are they air vents of some type? Do all Dub teams have new helmets?

IceMan
02-18-2005, 04:58 PM
Probably that snazzy new Reebok RBK helmet -- http://en.rbkhockey.com/gear/player/protective/helmet/8k.php.

Since RBK/CCM supplies all of the equipment/jerseys for the WHL, it stands to reason that they're all going to switch to the new lid. Supposedly, it's very comfortable, adjusts easy, and does a better job of preventing concussions.

mccabe23
02-18-2005, 05:21 PM
Yes, that is the helmet! They looked pretty cool. I noticed a lot of players having trouble adjusting to them. Troy Bodie delayed and almost missed a faceoff trying to adjust his chin strap. LOL

kelownakarl
02-18-2005, 06:20 PM
Yeah theyre pretty odd looking. I personally would like to see all teams go back to the old school Jofa lids, like Petr Klima used to wear......

:spineyes:

Flathead
02-18-2005, 06:42 PM
I would like to see them go helmetless, and wear 1950's shoulder pads, elbow pads and shin pads. Mabye it would bring some common sense and respect back into the game. They may as well play in a suit of armor because that's what it's leading too. Players today believe that they are industructible when wearing todays equipment and have lost a lot of respect for others safety, because of the advances in the equipment. I know there's a lot more to it than that but you get what I'm trying to say.

fightstrap50
02-19-2005, 10:57 AM
yeah and now they wear the under armour UNDER their pading to boothas any one seent this stuff its incredible,light weight but super tuff :D like this stuff below

Fight Guy
02-19-2005, 02:58 PM
Yeah...noticed last night that Moose Jaw was wearing them. I remember seeing (I think the Russians) wearing them in the World Juniors. The look pretty nifty. Im sure all teams will switch to them, whether it be by the end of the season or the beginning of next. Im sure some will choose to stick to the ones they wear now so that they dont have to get used to a new helmet.

ScottyWazz
02-20-2005, 02:48 AM
I've talked to some people who had a hand in designing the new RBK stuff and they say this is one of the better helmets they have played in. I think they bursted on the sense during the World Cup in August/September and the full launch is in March.

This helmet has an adjustable dial in the back where they conform to the head of the indivdual all the way around the head. It seems to be the next big step in concussion reduction technology.

Duct Tape
02-27-2005, 10:44 PM
yeah and now they wear the under armour UNDER their pading to boothas any one seent this stuff its incredible,light weight but super tuff :D like this stuff below

Its not just the lightweight and toughness, if you've ever worn underarmour, it moves sweat away from the body like you wouldn't beleive.

I switched last year when umpiring baseball, and the difference it makes behind the dish over a 9 inning ballgame on a summer day is incredible, and its the same for hockey, it just sucks the sweat away from the skin.

There are enough issues with bacteria from sweat and in the equiptment, if the underarmour helps some, its a big improvement.

Later

DT

ihlemic10
02-27-2005, 11:58 PM
I noticed the Tips had new ones too. They are auctioning of the old ones right now. People go nuts over them.

Teaps
02-28-2005, 02:25 AM
Duct Tape...I also use the stuff for Umpiring baseball. And I am NOT in any means a small dude, so behind all the armor and mask, it gets a tad hot, and by time the game is over, you aren't nearly as wet as if you were to be wearing just an undershirt.

Duct Tape
03-01-2005, 09:58 AM
Duct Tape...I also use the stuff for Umpiring baseball. And I am NOT in any means a small dude, so behind all the armor and mask, it gets a tad hot, and by time the game is over, you aren't nearly as wet as if you were to be wearing just an undershirt.

Definitely,

The quality of my work behind the plate has never taken such a noticeable increase as last year where i was actually still fresh and comfortable late in games using the underarmour.

Living and working in the Toronto area, its not just heat, but humidity and smog i get to deal with, and i'm not that small either :laugh:

Later

DT

Fight Guy
03-12-2005, 07:34 PM
Looks like all teams now have them.

fightstrap50
03-12-2005, 07:43 PM
Looks like all teams now have them.
the Ice are not playing with them anymore and have since returned to the old ones, they find they come off to easy and two guys got minor concussions in a week wearing them