PDA

View Full Version : Broncos 1 @ Giants 3 Oct 7th

Beaner
10-07-2006, 11:37 PM
For the first time this season, I really noticed the amount of penalties as this game was a constant parade to the penalty box for both sides. neither team could get any real momentum going tonight at all. Giants PK was excellent again, and Moir for the Broncos was his usual dominating self. If not for Moir the score would have been a lot worse.

NOTES
Moir and Sexsmith got the starts
Slade, Scharff (Injured?), Machacek (Head), Toigo, Dulle were the Giants scratches
Shots 40-14 Giants
PP's Broncos 1/14, Giants 2/12

GOALS
1. S.C Schenderling, (3) (Crowley), 19:09 (PP) 5-3 Schenderling with a shot in close after some nice passing that hits Sexsmith and manages to trickle thru.
2. VAN Repik, (4) , 7:03 4-4, Repik gets a turnover and breaks inf romt he boards all alone, Makes an inside out move and beats Moir 5-hole
2. VAN Bliznak, (4) (Watt, Franson), 11:00 (PP) 5-4, and Bliznak gets the puck right in front of the Watt rebound and he pots it in.
2. VAN Blum, (3) (Kraus, Repik), 12:58 (PP) 5-4 Beautiful pass from kraus to Blum who has snuck in from the point to the ffront of the net and redirects it in.

FISTICUFFS
Hunt vs Benke

After Cunningham hits a Bronco from behind, Benke takes exception and starts roughing up Cunningham. Garte comes in to answer the bell and gets in close and the gloves are off. More wrestling match then anything Benke may have got one shot in, but no real punches looked like they landed from my angle. Hunt gets the take down. Benke gets 2 for roughing and 5, Hunt gets the 2/5/10. DRAW

OFFICIATING
Savage and Raphael tonight. Savage ws his usual self calling everything he could see and then extra ones he just made up. Brutal, I think he didnt go a minute without making a call. Raphael I didnt really notice as it was all Savage tonight.

OVERALL
Boring to watch tonight as it was all special teams all night long, especially in the second. Might have been 1 whole minute in the second played 5-5. besides that the guys on boith sides tried their best, but the Giants PK was just too much for the SC PP. SC had a few 5-3's but besides the one goal they rarely generated any good scoring chances.

3 STARS
1. VAN - 26 Michal Repik
2. VAN - 12 Tim Kraus
3. S.C - 30 Kyle Moir

Good picks, but I would have had Moir #2, and Savage #1. Savage was the one person everyone saw all game long.

Hunt24
10-07-2006, 11:47 PM
Giants score three times in the second to keep winning streak alive
Swift Current Broncos 1 Vancouver Giants 3

Trailing 1-0 at the start of the second period the Vancouver Giants scored three times in the middle frame, including twice on the powerplay, to defeat the Swift Current Broncos 3-1 Saturday night.

Swift Current (4-3-0) opened the scoring on the powerplay when Jeremy Schenderling scored his third goal of the season at 19:09 of the first period.

Michal Repik would get the Giants on the board with a breakaway goal seven minutes into the second period. The Giants powerplay then struck for a pair of goals as Mario Bliznak and Jonathon Blum scored for Vancouver.

The Giants still maintain a perfect record at 8-0-0, one of only two clean sheets in the Canadian Hockey League. The Missisauga Ice Dogs are 5-0-0 to start the Ontario Hockey League campaign. The Vancouver powerplay would finish the night 2-for-12 while their penalty killing unit surrendered only one goal on fourteen Broncos powerplays.

Chad Scharff was a late scratch for Vancouver, and with Dustin Slade also sitting it had the Giants with only two overagers in the lineup. The late decision led some to speculate that a decision on the extra overager had already been made. Head Coach Don Hay would later say Scharff was somewhat banged up after the Prince George trip and that was the only reason he was not dressed.

With a 3-1 lead the Giants tightened up defensively and allowed only two shots in the final period. One shot coming in the first minute of play and the last shot coming as time wound down.

Sexsmith (4-0-0, 2.16) made 13 saves in a winning effort. Sexsmith’s only real test came in the first period when he flashed a quick glove hand to negate a Broncos scoring chance. Bronco Kyle Moir (2-3-0, 2.22), starting for the second straight night, made 37 saves in the loss.

The Giants next travel to Chilliwack on Thanksgiving Monday to take on the expansion Bruins. In the first meeting between the two teams the Giants won 7-1.

Fight Card

Giants Fighter Broncos Fighter Winner
Hunt Benke Draw

Our Three Stars
1. Mario Bliznak. Possibly his best game as a Giant the 19-year-old scored the game winning goal and was strong on the puck in the offensive zone. His ability to be defensively responsible while stepping up his offensive output is a definite plus to the Giants.
2. Kyle Moir. The Broncos goaltender got little help from his teammates tonight as the Giants still managed to get 40 shots on goal while killing off 13-of-14 powerplays. If not for Moir the score could have been more lopsided.
3. Michal Repik. The draft eligible Czech import scored his fourth goal of the season on a breakaway midway through the second period. With plenty of powerplays and open ice situations throughout the night the speedy winger was given plenty of opportunities to show his stuff. With a goal and an assist he did just that.

Knuckles Muldoon
10-07-2006, 11:53 PM
The penalty parade is nauseating. The stripes seem to be looking for calls to make. There is no flow, no sustained periods of 5 on 5. Nothing. Its crap. I've already got my ticket to the game on Monday, so I'll be there. But I think I'm boycotting the Seattle game next Friday. I can't take it any more. The Giants are impressive these days, but the product is not. 21 PP's after 2 periods. Un-freakin-believable. The league better address this or the fans will be staying home.
As for the game. Moir was great; the score should really have been about 7-1. I thought Johnny Blum was the best of the Giants; he was very noticeable and was my first star. James Wright is getting better, and I feel that first goal coming. I'll go out on a limb and suggest he'll get one on Monday in Chilliwack. He's working hard and skating well. Tough to enjoy the game though. I'm very disappointed.

dondo
10-08-2006, 12:16 AM
okay remind me who the hell did Moir play for last year its driving me nuts -- they mentioned him facing 50 shots and I remember seeing the game but cannot get the jersey into my brain.

Speaking of jerseys those Bronco ones are sweet and I really like their logo. Anyway I enjoyed the game despite the penalties (see my recap) as I felt the Broncos played a really solid game clearing the front of their net and their speed and positioning make s it clear to me why they are top of their confernece right now.

I would have also moved Moir up a spot and picked Blum instead of Kraus but he had a good game. Man Lucic was getting snakebit, but he's getting his chnaces so it'll go in eventually. Apparently there's some quote out there that Boston is not pleased with Lucic's play -- just caught part of it.

still no home for my recaps so here it is (but soon - hopefully)

Giants Break Broncos
Vancouver 3 Swift Current 1

The Swift Current Broncos - riding a three game winning streak, sitting atop the Eastern Conference and boasting two consecutive shut-outs by two different goalies walked into the Giants den ready to play. The first period was more of a chess match as the two teams felt each other out and tested each others boundaries. The Giants - who were riding a seven game winning streak and boasting an undefeated streak this season as well as a shut-out win last night, were equal to the task. The Broncos proved that there was a reason they were top of their conference as they played a very strong period clearing the puck out of the front of their net before the Giants could get to the rebounds and using their prodigious team speed to work the G-Men in their own end of the rink.

The Broncos opened the scoring after weathering a boat-load of penalties being doled out by two whistle happy officials who seem to think it was their job to call the invisible as well as the visible and assess additional penalties just because their feelings were hurt. The goal came with less than a minute to go in the first and despite the extreme officiating it was very good hockey all around. On the PP, defenseman Dane Crowley fed the puck down low at the side of the Giants net and Jeremy Schenderling batted the puck short-side past Sexsmith for what proved to be the Broncos only tally of the evening. Eleven penalties were assessed in the first , 6 for Swift Current and 5 for the Giants, had the respective teams penalty killing units not been so sharp it could have been a crazy shooting gallery.

The parade to the penalty box continued early on in the second, but the first goal for the Giants came 4 on 4. Brett Festerling dove and intercepted a Bronco pass at his blue-line sending Michal Repik off with the loose biscuit. Repik drove into the zone and cut across the crease half fell on one knee and roofed the puck over Kyle Moir to tie the game and swing the momentum toward the home team. Moir had been spectacular up until that point in the game and had kept his team in the game in the first and continued to turn away great scoring chances for the G-Men with excellent lateral moves and quick hands, but his luck ran out in the second period. The Giants padded the lead four minutes later, on the PP, when Cody Franson threw a shot at the net and JD Watt got a piece of the puck before Mario Bliznak buried the loose biscuit in the back of the 6 x 4. The G-Men were not done scoring as they went up by two just under two minutes later. Once again on the PP, wily winger Michal Repik made some nice moves to keep possession of the puck and fed Tim Kraus down low. Kraus fed the puck across the crease to find defenseman Jonny Blum who had snuck in from the point, notching his 3rd of the campaign with a quick snapshot which got past Moir. The Giants peppered the Bronco net with 17 shots in the second and Moir turned aside 14 of them.

The third felt positively wide-open as the whistles had found their way into the pockets even though similar hockey was being played. The Giants were able to play their best game by rolling four lines and keeping the Broncos pinned mostly in their own end. John Flatters who seemed to be the ref’s whipping boy on this evening was tagged for tripping five minutes into the final stanza, but the Broncos couldn’t muster enough of an attack against the stifling Giants defense and gave up a few chances short-handed in the process.
The penalty box gates opened at 9:03 though as Craig Cunningham was tagged for a check from behind which from my point of view was a clean shoulder to shoulder check and the player being checked had his head down and was standing a few feet from the boards. A battle ensued with Garet Hunt stepping in and taking on a much larger opponent in the form of 6’6” 218lb Karl Benke and mostly had a bit of a wrestling match before Garet ended up getting the take down. Hunt got tagged for instigating, roughing and fighting plus a 10 min misconduct for sticking up for his team-mate. The rest of period it was clear that the Broncos had lost their heart in the game and were more interested in finishing quickly than trying to score. However, with a late penalty on Festerling they pulled their goalie and went 6 on 4 for the rest of the game. The Giants played a patient game, had quick sticks and would simply ice the puck whenever it got near them and they ran the Saskatchewan visitors out of time.

Sexsmith wasn’t busy but he had to make some decent stops to preserve his team’s lead and keep them in the game when they were down. Kyle Moir faced 40 Giants shots, allowed three goals against and he had a great game between the pipes but in the end, as with so many other solid ‘tenders the G-Men have faced, it just wasn’t enough. The two referees Chris Savage and Sean Raphael were simply brutal, punishing any hard check with a penalty and stifling the physical aspect of the game. This is not what was intended by the crack-down and we’ve already seen enough games already where referees are not punishing aggressive play, but still managing to call the infractions which would normally slow down the game, that this simply was a travesty in my opinion. Despite the parade to the box the game itself ended up being a lively affair as players took checks where they could and both squads skated hard and had excellent positioning.

The G-Men were 2 for 12 on the PP, while the broncos managed just 1 on their 14 chances. The shots were 40 for the Giants and 14 for the Swift Current squad. The Giants next tilt is on Thanksgiving Monday out in Chilliwack at Prospera Centre. The puck drops at 2pm.

Three Stars
1 – Michal Repik
2 – Tim Kraus
3 – Kyle Moir

langdak
10-08-2006, 12:20 AM
okay remind me who the hell did Moir play for last year its driving me nuts -- they mentioned him facing 50 shots and I remember seeing the game but cannot get the jersey into my brain.

Moir has never played for anybody but the Broncos

http://whl.ca/stats/player.php?id=22767

ointhecreek
10-08-2006, 12:26 AM

Ummm, Broncos.

rinkrat
10-08-2006, 12:27 AM
It was teddy bear toss night,Dec 16/05

dondo
10-08-2006, 12:28 AM
we're they here last season? I thought we went out east for our one game with them -- now I'm confused ... but thx for the info anyway.

thx rinkrat -- so did we play them two times last season? I thought the East teams we played once, but last year was our Eastern road trip or was it the year before - dec 2004?

Swando
10-08-2006, 12:34 AM
Outside of the Giants comeback win in PG on Wednesday...the radio boys said that comeback win against the Broncos last year on Teddy Bear Toss night had been their best. I think the Giants supassed thier game shot total as well on Wednesday which their previous high had been against the Broncos that night.

dondo
10-08-2006, 12:37 AM
hmm -- great thanks all -- I had just eliminated SC from the picture so no wonder I couldn't remember, but I did remember him standing on his head that evening.

rinkrat
10-08-2006, 12:46 AM
Here's the scoresheet from that game.

http://whl.ca/stats/game-summary.php?game_id=1001403

2,5,andagame
10-09-2006, 04:58 PM
we're they here last season? I thought we went out east for our one game with them -- now I'm confused ... but thx for the info anyway.

thx rinkrat -- so did we play them two times last season? I thought the East teams we played once, but last year was our Eastern road trip or was it the year before - dec 2004?

Bronco's were in the Central last year, so they made the BC swing last year, they moved to the East this year, so they make they BC swing again this year. Vancouver also made the trip out to Swift last year, I'm not sure why it was sched. that way, but last year we saw all the teams in the league in Swift last year.

Dwight Schrute
10-09-2006, 06:14 PM
1- how was the rumsay kassian bout
2- young toigo on defense, is he related to the giants owner ???

rinkrat
10-09-2006, 08:10 PM
1- how was the rumsay kassian bout
2- young toigo on defense, is he related to the giants owner ???

Kassian plays for Kamloops now.
Toigo is the nephew of owner Ron Toigo.

dondo
10-09-2006, 09:57 PM
Bronco's were in the Central last year, so they made the BC swing last year, they moved to the East this year, so they make they BC swing again this year. Vancouver also made the trip out to Swift last year, I'm not sure why it was sched. that way, but last year we saw all the teams in the league in Swift last year.

THAT'S what it was!! thank you 2,5 and a game -- it makes sense now -- i forgot the Broncos shifted over conferences -- I'm not losing my mind -- well i am but not for that reason at least :D

also rinkrat thanks for that game's box score -- that was a pretty good come-back -- good memories

Dwight Schrute
10-09-2006, 10:00 PM
Kassian plays for Kamloops now.
Toigo is the nephew of owner Ron Toigo.
whoops :spineyes: i meant to post that on the bronco's forum but i guess i slipped the 2 in together. is toigo reall good enough to be on the giants or did he get some family help ? not trying to be critical im just wondering

dondo
10-09-2006, 10:03 PM
he's actually good enough - watching the young D during the preseason tourney he was consistently good which is why I think he got the nod and Molle got sent to the Broncos. I was concerned seeing the name in Everett during the pre-season tourney, but he proved himself and I have yet to see him really flail on the ice, but you guys got Molle -- who I thought looked pretty good as well during the tourney.

except not you specifically being a Raiders fan but you get my drift.

Beaner
10-09-2006, 10:07 PM
is toigo reall good enough to be on the giants or did he get some family help ? not trying to be critical im just wondering

Don't worry we are all thinking the same thing.

Short answer yes. He is good enough to be here, and has definatley earned his spot so far.

Section_Z
10-10-2006, 09:56 AM
Don't worry we are all thinking the same thing.

Short answer yes. He is good enough to be here, and has definatley earned his spot so far.

I don't think that we'll see a game this season where Nolan isn't skating until he's ready to puke. He's got something else to prove out there now. I figure with his last name he's going to make sure (to the best of his ability that is) that everyone knows he was picked for his talent/team play, not for the 5 letters on his back.