PDA

View Full Version : Giants 5 @ Bruins 4 Oct 9th

Beaner
10-09-2006, 06:46 PM
Well, I missed the game today, so just thought I would post the facts of the game and then wait for everyone who got to go to the game today to get back and fill eveyrone in.

NOTES
Slade and Archibald got the starts.
Scharff (Shoulder), Machacek (Head), Flatters, Wright, Sexsmith were the Giants scratches.
Shots 44-21 Giants
PP's Bruins 1/4, Giants 2/9

GOALS
1. CWK Petkau, (2) (Lenoski, Lineker), 10:43 (PP)
2. CWK Petkau, (3) (Holden, Smuk), 9:59
2. VAN Repik, (5) (Blum, Kraus), 10:47
2. VAN Reese, (6) (Kraus, Franson), 12:03 (PP)
2. VAN Lucic, (1) (Lamb, Franson), 17:30 (PP)
3. CWK Santorelli, (3) (Cline, Petkau), 11:35
3. VAN Watt, (8) (Bliznak, Reese), 16:34
3. CWK Santorelli, (4) (Cline, Petkau), 17:50
3. VAN Czibere, (3) (Lamb, Mikkelson), 18:48

FISTICUFFS

Hunt vs. Stoesz

Lamb vs. Kulhanek

OFFICIALS
Pat Smith and Andrew Guest

3 Stars
1. CWK - 30 Alex Archibald
2. VAN - 11 J. D. Watt
3. VAN - 26 Michal Repik

dj-kris
10-09-2006, 07:00 PM
Power plays in the second 8-2 for the giants coincidently the giants came back from being down 2-0 that period i thought the bruins played hard and deserved a better outcome and showed alot of heart in coming back twice in the third.

C.F
10-09-2006, 07:09 PM
Power plays in the second 8-2 for the giants coincidently the giants came back from being down 2-0.
Which was coinicdently the same time the Giants started to skate. I commend the Bruins for keeping it close, but I wouldn't say that they deserved a better outcome.

dj-kris
10-09-2006, 07:13 PM
much easier to skate and control the play when your a man up isn't it?

Carebear
10-09-2006, 07:13 PM
It was way too close for my comfort.
I was really getting scared near the end there.

The bruins played one hell of a game.

---
on the crazy Giants fan front, I think I did a pretty good job of being loud and obnoxious in section T. And clapped so loudly and hard that I actually sprained my finger, its swollen and purple and I can hardly bend it.
GOOD TIMES! haha

C.F
10-09-2006, 07:21 PM
much easier to skate and control the play when your a man up isn't it?
Considering the Giants were the better team on even strength, and the only time the Bruins actually looked better than the Giants was in the first period when they were taking penalties, you should be able to answer that question for yourself. :p

Knuckles Muldoon
10-09-2006, 08:04 PM
A very entertaining game today, the most fun game so far this year.
The Giants were very sloppy today. Maybe tired or whatever, but they had a lot of trouble stringing passes together. All the defensemen had trouble handling the puck at one time or another and the wingers failed on a large number of occasions to get the puck out along the boards in their own end. Cody nearly got stripped of the puck numerous times, but still escaped to get the puck up ice on at least 2 occasions leading to Giants goals. But far too often it seems he is playing with fire back there. Best Giants were Repik (buzzing around non-stop), Reese (still going hard to the net, clanking shots off the post and crossbar about 1 second apart), Watt (continues to take the puck to the net impressively) and Czibere (strong play in both ends of the ice). Also great to see Big Man finally dent some twine. Hopefully that gets the piano off his back and he can relax with the puck a bit now. He had a solid game, even though he was demoted to the fourth line for a shift or two. Lamb also had a good game with some big hits and a scrap. Strange to see Slade allow 4 to an offensively challenged team like the Bruins, but a win is a win. The D had a fairly weak game in front of him.
A good number of Giants-type folks there today, which was nice to see. The Chilliwack fans are a real sit-on-their-hands type of group. Even worse than us at the PC! I noticed them giving some strange looks at cheering Giants fans, like they thought we were from another planet or something. Pretty amusing.
Overall, NOT a tidy win. But a fun one all the same.

BruinsFan19
10-09-2006, 08:10 PM
A good number of Giants-type folks there today, which was nice to see. The Chilliwack fans are a real sit-on-their-hands type of group. Even worse than us at the PC! I noticed them giving some strange looks at cheering Giants fans, like they thought we were from another planet or something. Pretty amusing.

LOL

Definetly NOT quieter than the Giants fans in the Pacific Coliseum. I've never been in a rink that quiet.

Chilliwack fans don't seem to be used to the WHL yet. It's almost like we don't know who to hate and cheer against and we're cautious to cheer too much for whatever reason. It's weird cuz when the Chiefs were here it was nuts.

I assume it'll get better as the rivalries grow.

rinkrat
10-09-2006, 08:22 PM
. Cody nearly got stripped of the puck numerous times, but still escaped to get the puck up ice on at least 2 occasions leading to Giants goals. But far too often it seems he is playing with fire back there. .

That was the worst game I have ever seen Cody play!
He was just coughing the puck up in his own end,time after time.It was getting frustrating to watch him.I am sure he will be back to himself soon enough.Who knows he could be battling a cold or something...

I also noticed the goalposts,Reese hit it twice,then Lamb,then another Giant,all in about a two minute stretch.
Chilliwack played a good game,and that combined with very sloppy defense from the Giants,made the game too close for comfort.
Can't forget the brutal knee incident by Glennie on Dulle.He will face a suspension and a beating on the 20th.
All in all a real fun time,it was my first in chilliwack and I will definately be back.
BTW whats with those annoying horns they blow? Almost as bad as the cowbells down the I-5!! :spineyes:

Carebear
10-09-2006, 08:24 PM
Another note..those.."cheerleaders/dancers" NEED to go.
Like..its not even worth having them.

HOLY GET SOME ENTHUSIASM GIRLS!

Gerg
10-09-2006, 08:37 PM

You should join them. Or take over, whichever.

Chilliwack fans don't seem to be used to the WHL yet. It's almost like we don't know who to hate and cheer against and we're cautious to cheer too much for whatever reason. It's weird cuz when the Chiefs were here it was nuts.
Yea, my friends and I tried to get the crowd into it at previous games, it gets rather tough when no one else is getting into it. It basically turned into us being the only ones who were getting into it. It's been getting tougher and tougher to every game, since no one else is getting pumped.
I think, also, that it's mostly the fans are trying to get used to who to like and who's who.

rinkrat
10-09-2006, 08:41 PM

Hahaha thats funny! :clap: I think they were about 14 years old,give them time to learn.

Knuckles,you must have been sitting near the net to see the post/crossbar play by Reese.I was down in the corner where the pane of glass got dislodged.Great seats,but I missed three Giants goals at the other end in the second period.I guess the eyes ARE the first thing to go.lol

Knuckles Muldoon
10-09-2006, 08:52 PM
Hahaha thats funny! :clap: I think they were about 14 years old,give them time to learn.

Knuckles,you must have been sitting near the net to see the post/crossbar play by Reese.I was down in the corner where the pane of glass got dislodged.Great seats,but I missed three Giants goals at the other end in the second period.I guess the eyes ARE the first thing to go.lol
Yeah, I was in section J row 10, which very nicely replicated the section C I'm in in the Coliseum. If I knew who you were, I woulda threw some of my Cheezies at you. ;)
Let me replay the Reese chance:
"Reese gets the rebound! He shoots it off the post! Reese...gets it back, he shoots, he scorrr...NO! he put it off the crossbar. Can you believe it Bill? Post, crossbar, and Jason has to be rolling his eyes over that. And now he slams his stick against the ice as he skates back to the bench."
JR had another good game today all the same. :thumb:

Section_Z
10-09-2006, 09:22 PM
Criticize Franson or Slade all you want....Franson got 2 assists when he wasn't palying with fire, and Slade held off enough to get the win...
And most importantly the Team won...9 straight, a club record. How many games do we have to win before the people on this board are happy....???????

Carebear
10-09-2006, 09:28 PM
I'm happy! And have been for awhile! :D

GF71
10-09-2006, 09:30 PM

They were KIDS no older than 16, what did you expect? :rolleyes:

BRUTAL game by the Giants. Easily their worst effort of the season. They couldn't make a pass to save their lives today. I have seen Slade play in the building twice as a Giant and maybe six or seven times as a Surrey Eagle. Witht he exception of one great game as an Eagle he has fought the puck and had mediocre games at best. He pretty much stunk it up again today. He did hole the Bruins off for the win which counts for something though. The Giants did play a bit better in the later half of the game...helped greatly by all the pwer plays they got in the second. IMO the shot total is mis-leading. The Bruins deserved better. But one can summise that the Giants' experience brought them thier victory today, not thier "stellar" play. Any other team and the Giants would've lost, no doubt about it. The week off should do them some good and they hopefully will bring forth better efforts against Seattle this weekend.

Knuckles Muldoon
10-09-2006, 09:33 PM
Criticize Franson or Slade all you want....Franson got 2 assists when he wasn't palying with fire, and Slade held off enough to get the win...
And most importantly the Team won...9 straight, a club record. How many games do we have to win before the people on this board are happy....???????
I'm happy. But are we not allowed to critique the players/team? It would be pretty boring on this board if we couldn't. In fact there wouldn't be any need for this board at all.

N.W. Bruin
10-09-2006, 09:35 PM
You should join them. Or take over, whichever.

Yea, my friends and I tried to get the crowd into it at previous games, it gets rather tough when no one else is getting into it. It basically turned into us being the only ones who were getting into it. It's been getting tougher and tougher to every game, since no one else is getting pumped.
I think, also, that it's mostly the fans are trying to get used to who to like and who's who.

I remember when the Giants started out it took half a season to know players without looking at the program. (Than Bonner traded a bunch away to really make it tough). Seriously it took me a good dozen games in season one to be able to name over half the players by their jersey numbers). It will be easlier when there is a returning core of a dozen players or so next season. Just fill in the blanks (rookies and prospects who make the jump including a bunch of the original bantam draft class by the Bruins).

dondo
10-09-2006, 09:50 PM
okay rinkrat are you talking Franson or Smuk :p - they are both Cody's but you are right Franson had a few brain farts out there -- most of which he recovered from pretty quickly though..

In fairness I really don't think the ice in Chilliwack was that good - pucks were bouncing all over the place. I like the arena though -- except for that one side of the arena where the concourse is postage stamp size -- not really good planning at all on that side. Maybe take out the beer vendor and put them by the back doors for the game as they are usually struck after third period anyway and that might releive a bit of congestion on that side and also narrow the rope lanes they were hella-wide ;)

Anyway good game. The Bruins played a gutsy game and it was good hockey, except for the Giants not really showing up in the first, but I digress.
The place to go is the rinkside grill though, better beer and a nice view of the arena and the complex.

nice meeting Langdak and The Brass however briefly.

and you'll all be glad to know carebear did not cover her eyes once while Hunt was fighting :thumb: :karate:

enjoy the recap --

Vancouver Edge Out Bruins
Vancouver 5 Chilliwack 4

The Vancouver Giants made the trip down the road an hour out of town to take on the newest WHL franchise, the Chilliwack Bruins. They were expected to win vs the division bottom feeder, but were not expecting how tenacious the Bruins would be on this day. Pundits had the Giants winning in a landslide but the Bruins were not ready to lay down without a fight in front of their fans packing a sold out Prospera Centre that was down to standing room only one-half hour prior to the drop of the puck.

The Bruins opened the scoring off of a breakaway shot which handcuffed Dustin Slade, and put the home team up by one to raucous applause by the home town faithful. Ken Petkau scored the goal, on the PP, off of a feed from Stephane Lenoski and Craig Lineker just over half-way into the first period. The score remained that way through the rest of period, but Bruins netminder Alex Archibald had to make a few good stops to preserve that score. The Bruins out shot the Giants in the first 9-7, but it would be the last time that would happen as the sleepy Giants had yet to wake-up.

Once again in the second, the period rolled back and forth until the middle of the stanza when a fight would break out at centre ice. Nolan Toigo was all ready to go when Garet Hunt stepped in to take on Myles Stoesz. Stoesz got in some early shot but Garet managed to get in under and pop a few of his own, however Stoesz got a few back and got the takedown to win the fight. A couple of minutes later Petkau again put his team up by two, this time from Nick Holden and Cody Smuk (who was the Giants prospect who the team traded to Chilliwack in order to avoid them picking an unprotected player from the Giants during their expansion draft). The Giants would wake up around this time as Michal Repik scored on a breakaway of his own flicking the puck past Archibald from close in. Jonny Blum and Tim Kraus would get the assists. The Giants weren’t done in the period as Jason Reese would pot a PP marker a few minutes later. Wheeling and snapping home a doorstep tally, off of a nice feed from Kraus and Franson. The Giants got another one with the man-advantage about five minutes after that when Milan Lucic would notch his first of the season and release the monkey which was hanging off his back. Lucic would find a loose puck on the doorstep and power it past Archibald to put the Giants up by one, cementing the lead for the rest of the period. Lamb and Franson would get the assists. Off the ensuing face-off while the Giants were putting pressure in the Bruins end, Donnie Glennie would hang out a knee and take-down young up and comer Kenton Dulle, who had just recovered from a serious car accident over the summer months. Glennie would deservedly get a five minute major and game misconduct for that deliberate intent to injure. The crowd was all over the referees, but it was the right call to make in my mind as it happened right in front of me and was wholly deliberate. The referees, who called a fairly consistent game, were their busiest in the middle stanza.

Once again it took ‘til mid-way through the period, the third this time, for either net to be breached. Mark Santorelli drew the Bruins to even, with helpers from Matt Cline, and Petkau at 11:35 of the final period. Kyle Lamb and Colby Kulhanek would face off for a tilt about 13 minutes into the period with Lamb getting in a few good shots and eventually the take-down for the marginal win. The Giants took back the lead with about four minutes left in the period when JD Watt would put one past the Chilliwack ‘tender, assisted by Mario Bliznak and Reese. The pesky Bruins did not lay down at that point though and instead pressed the attack until Santorelli chipped home a weak one, his second of the period and the night, on Dustin to tie the game at fours. The tenacious Giants would not be out-done at this point though and would battle back, ending up scoring the game winner at 18:48 of the third. Mitch Czibere would notch his third of the season to put the Giants up by one in the dying minutes of the third. Mikkelson and Lamb would get the assists. The Bruins pulled their goalie at that time and although they pressed in the Giants end they did not garner a decent scoring chance for the rest of the stanza, much to the disappointment of the fans who were forced to swallow a sixth straight loss in their inaugural season.

The Giants would end up peppering the Chilliwack net with 44 shots while Bruins managed 21 shots on Slade. The G-Men went 2 for 9 on the PP, and Bruins would score 1 for 4 on their man advantages. Ken Petkau was absolutely robbed of star recognition as he had 2 goals and 2 helpers on the night and most definitely should have been recognized in his home arena, neither Watt nor Repik were worthy of a star more than Petkau. I believe Petkau should have got the nod over his own goaltender who though good did not do as much as Petkau did for his team in the losing cause. The Giants next game is back at home on Friday October 13th (ooo.. scary) vs the Seattle Thunderbirds, where they hope to continue their unbeaten streak and stretch it to ten games. The puck drops at 7:30pm.

Three Stars
1 – Alex Archibald
2 – JD Watt
3 – Michal Repik

I never do this but …

My Three Stars
1 – Ken Petkau
2 - Alex Archibald
3 – JD Watt

* honourable mention to Mark Santorelli who notched two for Chilliwack.

Carebear
10-09-2006, 10:09 PM
and you'll all be glad to know carebear did not cover her eyes once while Hunt was fighting :thumb: :karate:

you should've been watching the fight...not me!

And I know the dancer girls were really young, but is there a point in even having them when they just stand there looking like they dont want to be there in the first place?!

Petkau...WHAT A GAME that kid had tonight. Everytime he was on the ice I was worrying!

C.F
10-09-2006, 10:10 PM
LOL

Definetly NOT quieter than the Giants fans in the Pacific Coliseum. I've never been in a rink that quiet.

I assume it'll get better as the rivalries grow.In all fairness, it's a lot tougher for 7000 fans in a 16,000 seat venue to make noise than it is for a sold out 5000 seat venue to make noise.

I'm sure that Prospera Centre will get louder as the time goes on.

Beaner
10-09-2006, 10:11 PM
After getting the knee from Glennie, did Dulle return to the game or was his night finished?

Hunt24
10-09-2006, 10:11 PM
Vancouver Giants escape Fraser Valley nightmare with winning streak intact
Vancouver Giants 5 Chilliwack Bruins 4

The Vancouver Giants narrowly avoided having their perfect 8-0 start ruined by the expansion Chilliwack Bruins Monday afternoon.

Bruins forward Ken Petkau scored a first period powerplay to give the Prospera Center crowd some life. Halfway through the second period, he did it again to put the Giants in a bind. But the second goal seemed to spark the Western Hockey League champions and less than a minute later Michal Repik scored his fifth goal of the season to make it 2-1 Bruins.

Jason Reese scored on the power play for Vancouver only minutes later and the large contingent of Giants fans who made the trip breathed a collective sigh of relief as the game was again tied and the Giants appeared in control

With only 2:30 remaining in the period Milan Lucic got the monkey off of his back, scoring his first of the season on a give-and-go play with Kyle Lamb. At the second period break the Giants appeared to have taken control of the game, outshooting the Bruins 16-6 thanks to five powerplays including a five minute major.

At 11:35 of the third period the Prospera Center was again brought to life as Mark Santorelli tied the game for Chilliwack. Even after seeing the team lose six straight games Bruins fans were anticipating a monumental upset. Or at least a tie. Then the fireworks began.

J.D. Watt would score his team leading eighth goal of the season at 16:34 of the third period and in an instant the Bruins fans seemed to be anticipating yet another loss. Santorelli would replay a little over a minute later to bring the score even at 4-4.

With only 1:12 remaining Mitch Czibere would put the Giants ahead 5-4 and a few Bruins fans headed for the exits. The Bruins would pull their goalie but were unable to muster up any more magic and the Giants left Chilliwack with their ninth straight win.

Dustin Slade (5-0-0, 1.25) made 17 saves for Vancouver. Alex Archibald (1-5-0, 3.14) made 39 saves in the loss.

The Giants will play a home-and-home set with the Seattle Thunderbirds starting Friday night at the Pacific Coliseum.

Fight Card

Giants Fighter Bruins Fighter Winner
Hunt Stoesz Hunt
Lamb Kulhanek Draw

Our Three Stars
1. Ken Petkau. The Chilliwack Bruins don’t have a ton of offensive talent night in and night out, but tonight Petkau did everything he could to get the Bruins the win. He not only scored the first goal, but he added assists on the other two.
2. Cody Franson. With the score being as close as it was on a night when it should have been a blowout, Franson was able to be a stabling presence on the powerplay. Franson’s two points now make him the league’s leading scorer.
3. Alex Archibald. The only job worse than being the starting goalie on an expansion team is being a crash test dummy. Tonight Archibald stopped 39 shots and gave the undermanned Bruins at least a chance at winning it late.

GF71
10-09-2006, 10:13 PM
okay rinkrat are you talking Franson or Smuk :p - they are both Cody's but you are right Franson had a few brain farts out there -- most of which he recovered from pretty quickly though..

In fairness I really don't think the ice in Chilliwack was that good - pucks were bouncing all over the place. I like the arena though -- except for that one side of the arena where the concourse is postage stamp size -- not really good planning at all on that side. Maybe take out the beer vendor and put them by the back doors for the game as they are usually struck after third period anyway and that might releive a bit of congestion on that side and also narrow the rope lanes they were hella-wide ;)

Anyway good game. The Bruins played a gutsy game and it was good hockey, except for the Giants not really showing up in the first, but I digress.
The place to go is the rinkside grill though, better beer and a nice view of the arena and the complex.

nice meeting Langdak and The Brass however briefly.

enjoy the recap --

It was Toigo that was going to go with Stoesz, not Regner. ;) I am thinking Glennie is going to get 2-3 games for his knee on Dulle.

Kassian
10-09-2006, 10:23 PM
That was the worst game I have ever seen Cody play!

Ditto. For once I was actually hoping he wouldn't be on the ice during the last ten minutes or so. But he wasn't as bad as Slade, IMO. That was probably his worst game since he played in Regina.

Even though the Giants played really poorly it was still a fairly entertaining game. It had just about everything you could ask for. Personally I thought the game made a turn for the better after the Hunt and Stoesz fight. Not only did it wake up the crowd but both teams seemed to play with much more jump. I think Toigo was lucky Hunt stepped in for him, LOL.

Any update on Dulle? That was a pretty cheap hit. Glennie got off easy with the game misconduct. Hopefully someone will go after him next game....

dondo
10-09-2006, 10:27 PM
you should've been watching the fight...not me!

lol

well not once is over-stating it a bit as I did watch the majority of the fight, but often your reactions were more fun :p

and thanks GF I misremembered my rookie D's - its fixed now -- at least that means you read my recap though :D or at the very least skimmed it.

rinkrat
10-09-2006, 10:29 PM
Great recaps guys,we must have the most recaps/game on these boards.Its really good to read the different angles.
Not much discussion about the kneeing incident or penalty shot,though.
Hunt24 I have to disagree about Franson,he did make a couple nice plays but he doesn't typically cough up the puck in his own end repeatedly.He had an off game and will bounce back.
Reese has really impressed me lately,looks poised to have a career year. :thumb:

dondo
10-09-2006, 10:36 PM
well I am seriously hoping to have a home for my recaps soon and just post a link for those interested -- but its sitting on the back burner right now -- *sigh*
the kneeing happened right in front of me and it looked to be very deliberate and sneaky as he hung his knee out at the last second and it wasn't one of those wide turn knees but a shooting out of the knee at the last second. I would not be surprised in the least to see Glennie suspended for a game or two.

I don't recall seeing Dulle the rest of the game did he make it back out onto the ice or was he done -- I suspect he was done as it looked pretty serious and hopefully his summer car accident doesn't complicate things with regard to recovery.

Coyote14
10-09-2006, 10:54 PM
Those cheerleaders today were not the usual ones at our games. They looked as though they were about 13 years old and didn't have any idea of what to do.

There are usually seven or eight 16/17 year old cheerleaders at the games... dunno why they weren't there tonight. I think they're alright. They aren't terrible at it but they don't really get the crowd pumped up either.

Hopefully the Bruins stick to the norm though. I thought those ones today were a joke.

GF71
10-09-2006, 10:55 PM
well I am seriously hoping to have a home for my recaps soon and just post a link for those interested -- but its sitting on the back burner right now -- *sigh*
the kneeing happened right in front of me and it looked to be very deliberate and sneaky as he hung his knee out at the last second and it wasn't one of those wide turn knees but a shooting out of the knee at the last second. I would not be surprised in the least to see Glennie suspended for a game or two.

I don't recall seeing Dulle the rest of the game did he make it back out onto the ice or was he done -- I suspect he was done as it looked pretty serious and hopefully his summer car accident doesn't complicate things with regard to recovery.

It was a deliberate attempt to injure if you ask me. I was about 10 rows about you Dondo. Kenton is ok though. Just a BAD charley horse. He is lucky.

dondo
10-09-2006, 11:15 PM
Good to hear Kenton is okay -- I assume he'll maybe miss the Seattle tilt to fully recupe -- thanks GF yeah I guess you were up and to the right with L and TB -- nice to see how many of us made the trek out there on thanksgiving too.

btw happy thanksgiving to everyone.

N.W. Bruin
10-10-2006, 12:23 AM
Ditto. For once I was actually hoping he wouldn't be on the ice during the last ten minutes or so. But he wasn't as bad as Slade, IMO. That was probably his worst game since he played in Regina.

Even though the Giants played really poorly it was still a fairly entertaining game. It had just about everything you could ask for. Personally I thought the game made a turn for the better after the Hunt and Stoesz fight. Not only did it wake up the crowd but both teams seemed to play with much more jump. I think Toigo was lucky Hunt stepped in for him, LOL.

Any update on Dulle? That was a pretty cheap hit. Glennie got off easy with the game misconduct. Hopefully someone will go after him next game....

A likely one game suspension should be coming out of the league's office by mid-week or so.

dudley
10-10-2006, 08:54 AM
The Chilliwack fans are a real sit-on-their-hands type of group. Even worse than us at the PC! I noticed them giving some strange looks at cheering Giants fans, like they thought we were from another planet or something. Pretty amusing.

Yes, ha ha. Very amusing.

However, since we had the Chiefs out here for a number of years, we are pretty used to fans from opposing teams coming to our arena. Even the games this year have had at least a few "outsiders" per game. Maybe they were looking at you like they thought you were from another planet for some other reason.

Anyways, some of you guys seem to thing you are god's gift to fandom. What advice do you have for us peasants out here to become better fans? Cheer good stuff? Boo bad stuff? I heard a lot of that on Monday. What else can we do?

I humbly await your advice, oh wise ones.

rinkrat
10-10-2006, 09:00 AM
What advice do you have for us peasants out here to become better fans?

Go to a game in Everett :thumb:

Section_Z
10-10-2006, 09:46 AM
I'm happy. But are we not allowed to critique the players/team? It would be pretty boring on this board if we couldn't. In fact there wouldn't be any need for this board at all.

Didn't really mean to Critique the critics..=) Just wanted to get the point across that we are 9-0 and one of the top teams in the CHL. It's just great exciting hockey.
And really, just as the board would be boring if we couldn't critique the players, it would be just as boring if Franson never had an off game to critique.

Carebear
10-10-2006, 10:15 AM
Does anyone else notice that when Slade's not on his A game, he's almost TWITCHY out there!?

My friend and I noticed this once last year, we thought it looked like he tripping out on crack when the play was in the oppositions zone and he was just watching, and he really didn't play well that game. Same thing yesterday, super twitchy, and didn't have a great game.

I'm not sure if the twitching comes from him not playing the best, or if the not playing the best comes from the twitching, or maybe they aren't related at all..but it is a tad odd!

GF71
10-10-2006, 10:30 AM
Does anyone else notice that when Slade's not on his A game, he's almost TWITCHY out there!?

My friend and I noticed this once last year, we thought it looked like he tripping out on crack when the play was in the oppositions zone and he was just watching, and he really didn't play well that game. Same thing yesterday, super twitchy, and didn't have a great game.

I'm not sure if the twitching comes from him not playing the best, or if the not playing the best comes from the twitching, or maybe they aren't related at all..but it is a tad odd!

He is like that during EVERY game. It isin't so much twitching though. If you watch there is a pattern to it. He is pretty superstitious (always skates to the left, no water bottle on the net, etc.) and he is just going through his routine. TNT has some pretty funny ones too...he skates like mad for his net. Throws the water bottle in the back of the net like it has a disease, talks to it, then puts it on the net. Yeup....goalies are wierdos :)

Carebear
10-10-2006, 10:46 AM
He is like that during EVERY game. It isin't so much twitching though. If you watch there is a pattern to it. He is pretty superstitious (always skates to the left, no water bottle on the net, etc.) and he is just going through his routine. TNT has some pretty funny ones too...he skates like mad for his net. Throws the water bottle in the back of the net like it has a disease, talks to it, then puts it on the net. Yeup....goalies are wierdos :)

It's not the way he skates around that I'm talking about, because I've noticed that, and I've noticed his patterns...there's just something else..and it is like a twitch!

TNT being Tommy? Hahaha, I laughed about the talking to the water bottle part...wow. I hope I get to see a game where he plays now so I can watch that!

Kassian
10-10-2006, 11:24 AM
A likely one game suspension should be coming out of the league's office by mid-week or so.

Yes I am aware of that. I just wish players today didn't get a free pass and had to come back to the game to face the music.

dj-kris
10-10-2006, 11:52 AM
Fight Card

Giants Fighter Bruins Fighter Winner
Hunt Stoesz Hunt (STRONGLY DISAGREE)
Lamb Kulhanek Draw (AGREE)

i understand with a name like hunt24 you would pick him as the winner there but there is no way he won that fight dont get me wrong i like the kid after all he is chilliwack alumni not to mention the huge heart and guts he shows out there but he took alot of shots early and came back with a few mid way but the last 15-20 seconds of that fight he was taking direct shot after shot to the face while only connecting on every second shot he threw back

As far as the "cheerleaders" go that was the junior team not the regular version

Hunt24
10-10-2006, 12:18 PM
i understand with a name like hunt24 you would pick him as the winner there but there is no way he won that fight dont get me wrong i like the kid after all he is chilliwack alumni not to mention the huge heart and guts he shows out there but he took alot of shots early and came back with a few mid way but the last 15-20 seconds of that fight he was taking direct shot after shot to the face while only connecting on every second shot he threw back

No homer here. I picked it based on the fact that Stoesz was leaking in the penalty box post fight and had an ice bag on his face and played the remainder of the game with cotton balls in his nose. It was more about quality than quantity. I picked Stoesz the first time they fought.

old_time_hockey
10-10-2006, 12:27 PM
No homer here. I picked it based on the fact that Stoesz was leaking in the penalty box post fight and had an ice bag on his face and played the remainder of the game with cotton balls in his nose. It was more about quality than quantity. I picked Stoesz the first time they fought.

The ice pack clinches the win. Anyone can re-open a cut or have a nose that bleeds easy. But when you need an icepack, you just took some hard core knuckles.

Bran
10-10-2006, 02:49 PM
r]It's not the way he skates around that I'm talking about, because I've noticed that, and I've noticed his patterns...there's just something else..and it is like a twitch![/B]

TNT being Tommy? Hahaha, I laughed about the talking to the water bottle part...wow. I hope I get to see a game where he plays now so I can watch that!
No, I know what you mean, it's...different, somehow. He seems very jumpy and anxious. Even my mom has noticed that! He's always kind of fascinated me. (okay, that sounds creepy) What I mean by that though, is that I would love to just really pick his brain and see what goes on in there. That must be the Psych student in me. :spineyes:

TNT has some pretty funny ones too...he skates like mad for his net. Throws the water bottle in the back of the net like it has a disease, talks to it, then puts it on the net. Yeup....goalies are wierdos
Goalies certainly are a different breed...but those are gold!

Bran
10-10-2006, 02:51 PM
Sounds fair enough to me.

dondo
10-10-2006, 04:29 PM
its interesting as i didn't see that - I saw Hunt get the brunt of the punches, but even though it looked like they connected they actually didn't as he blocked up high and then when he came in and under he scored a few good ones.

I still think the edge goes to Stoesz, but considering the damage I didn't know about it could be Garet.

Kassian
10-10-2006, 04:33 PM
I gave the edge to Stoesz as well. Watching the replay of the fight you can see Stoesz definitely lands more punches.

Knuckles Muldoon
10-10-2006, 06:57 PM
Yes, ha ha. Very amusing.

However, since we had the Chiefs out here for a number of years, we are pretty used to fans from opposing teams coming to our arena. Even the games this year have had at least a few "outsiders" per game. Maybe they were looking at you like they thought you were from another planet for some other reason.

Anyways, some of you guys seem to thing you are god's gift to fandom. What advice do you have for us peasants out here to become better fans? Cheer good stuff? Boo bad stuff? I heard a lot of that on Monday. What else can we do?

Buddy, put your paranoia away. I was just commenting on what I saw. Not derogatory towards anyone and not flaming.
I don't think of anyone as 'peasants', but if you want to refer to yourselves in that way, that's your business.
And finally, give me your address so I can send you a ten-dollar bill. Perhaps you can go buy yourself some thicker skin.

Knuckles Muldoon
10-10-2006, 07:04 PM
Didn't really mean to Critique the critics..=) Just wanted to get the point across that we are 9-0 and one of the top teams in the CHL. It's just great exciting hockey.
And really, just as the board would be boring if we couldn't critique the players, it would be just as boring if Franson never had an off game to critique.
I understand.
But I'm not a pom-pom waver. I'm a hockey fan and enjoy discussing the game. I'll leave the rah-rah stuff to whoever wants to do it. I'm amazed by the team and they are playing at a very high level. But its not all rose-coloured glasses. To be a credible fan, you've got to call it as you see it. The truth is that yesterday the CHL's #1 team had to scramble big-time to beat an expansion team on a 6-game losing streak. I'd prefer to acknowledge that and not spin it any other way.

Swando
10-10-2006, 08:59 PM
I've come to the conclusion that Hunt is like a Tie Domi. The more you hit him in the head the better he likes it. I'm surprized he didn't try take on Mahick the 6'10" giant from Prince George. I guess he'd have been charged with too many "low blows" lol.

langdak
10-11-2006, 04:48 PM

It came out today

One game suspension for Glennie

http://whl.ca/transactions/transactions.php?id=3425