PDA

View Full Version : Giants put Scharff on Waivers

Tipped Off
10-10-2006, 03:29 PM
Giants Place Scharff On Waivers
10/10/06 - Western Hockey League (WHL) Vancouver Giants
The Vancouver Giants have announced they have placed 20 year-old CHAD SCHARFF on waivers this afternoon.

Scharff is into his fourth full season in the Western Hockey League. In 179 games played with the Giants, the native of Airdrie, Alberta collected 12 goals, 16 assists, and 115 penalty minutes. He also appeared in 28 career playoff games over the past three years.

"Chad has been one of the most reliable players to wear a Giants uniform," says Giants General Manager Scott Bonner. "As a forward or a defenceman, Chad never disappointed our organization with his effort and dedication both on and off the ice."

"Chad has been a true leader and motivator with our club," adds Giants Head Coach Don Hay. "This has been a very difficult decision process to go through, but we feel we've made the best decision for the future of our club. Everybody in our organization wishes Chad all the best in his hockey future."

Other teams in the Western Hockey League are eligible to claim Scharff in the league's waiver process by Thursday.

langdak
10-10-2006, 03:38 PM
source??

link???

N.W. Bruin
10-10-2006, 03:44 PM
source??

link???

Looked there wondering if they had done anything yet. Not sure where the source is though but that confirms it.

BruinsFan19
10-10-2006, 03:48 PM
I found it here...

http://oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3384517

dondo
10-10-2006, 03:57 PM
well we knew it was coming but it doesn't make me feel any better about it.

Good Luck Chad, hopefully a team picks you up that needs your leadership and steadiness on the blue-line. I'm sure I speak for all the Giants fans when I say that we were proud to see you wear the Giants uniform.

Carebear
10-10-2006, 04:03 PM
Aww, I'll miss Scharff.

He's one of those players who just seems like a genuinely nice guy!

Best of luck wherever you end up Chad!
You're a class act. :clap:

old_time_hockey
10-10-2006, 04:13 PM
It must be tough for him. Getting traded is one thing. You know your future. Being put on waivers must be tough. Sorta sitting in limbo waiting for word.

Good luck Chad! I always enjoyed watching you play.

Sput
10-10-2006, 05:09 PM
If he makes it through waivers he can always join C. Cooper in the OHL on the saginaw Spirit. They have room for another 20yo as far as I heard today.

rinkrat
10-10-2006, 05:15 PM
Chad if you read this,Good luck in your hockey endeavors and thanks for all the great play and entertainment! :thumb:

Beaner
10-10-2006, 05:59 PM
Best of luck to you in the future Chad, I hope that someone picks you up, as you would be an asset to any team in the CHL.

You will be missed.

Knuckles Muldoon
10-10-2006, 06:41 PM
Whenever a team (or a business, family etc) lose a good person, they are indeed weakened. Today the Giants are weakened for having to let Scharffie go. Its just too bad it had to happen. Its probably the correct decision hockey-wise, but it doesn't make it any easier to swallow. Few Giants ever made more of an impact with lesser talent, but Chad's character has been a staple of this team for the past few years. I hope he ends up in a good situation somewhere on a team that has a chance to win. If not, you can't tell me Chilliwack couldn't use him as one of their 5 OA's. But however it works out, his work as a member of the Giants has been appreciated by coaches, teammates and fans alike. And it won't soon be forgotten.
God Bless Scharffie!

Swando
10-10-2006, 08:26 PM
Whenever a team (or a business, family etc) lose a good person, they are indeed weakened. Today the Giants are weakened for having to let Scharffie go. Its just too bad it had to happen. Its probably the correct decision hockey-wise, but it doesn't make it any easier to swallow. Few Giants ever made more of an impact with lesser talent, but Chad's character has been a staple of this team for the past few years. I hope he ends up in a good situation somewhere on a team that has a chance to win. If not, you can't tell me Chilliwack couldn't use him as one of their 5 OA's. But however it works out, his work as a member of the Giants has been appreciated by coaches, teammates and fans alike. And it won't soon be forgotten.
God Bless Scharffie!

hey Knuckes I couldn't agree with you more. If Chad was willing to go to the Wack it makes perfect sense. They drop a 20 year old that has been with the club maybe 30 days and pick a vetern leader that has seen the Memorial Cup and has belonged to a team that knows how to win... Can you imagine the cheering he would receive if he was to return to our barn with another club!! I sure hope some team is smart enough to recognize his value beyond just playing ability! Good luck Chad

scrunt
10-10-2006, 09:34 PM
hey Knuckes I couldn't agree with you more. If Chad was willing to go to the Wack it makes perfect sense. They drop a 20 year old that has been with the club maybe 30 days and pick a vetern leader that has seen the Memorial Cup and has belonged to a team that knows how to win... Can you imagine the cheering he would receive if he was to return to our barn with another club!! I sure hope some team is smart enough to recognize his value beyond just playing ability! Good luck Chad

Makes perfect sense to me. I was thinking that the Bruins would not want to take ice time from a 16 or 17 year old for an additional overager, but replacing another 20 y.o. makes way more sense. You have to figure the respect Scharffie would have in the room, knowing first hand the value of a team-first system, would be invaluable.