PDA

View Full Version : Chad to be Giants' assistant coach?

N.W. Bruin
10-11-2006, 09:49 AM
Both papers reporting it as a possible situation. Bonner will be talking with Chad when he comes back from the Calgary meetings.

Beaner
10-11-2006, 09:57 AM
Both papers reporting it as a possible situation. Bonner will be talking with Chad when he comes back from the Calgary meetings.

I was joking with GF71 about this, I can't believe it may happen.

N.W. Bruin
10-11-2006, 09:57 AM
If not as a assistant coach which he would be great at than as a scout or something. Chad more or less said in the paper he likely wouldn't play junior anywhere else. St. Michaels of the O apparantly is interested though if he clears waivers.

Carebear
10-11-2006, 11:02 AM
That would be bloody awesome!!!! :D

*thinking positive*

langdak
10-11-2006, 11:23 AM
That would be a great move to bring on a high class guy like Scharff into the giants brass somewhere

Kristi
10-11-2006, 11:43 AM
Smart move on the Giants part! MAKE IT HAPPEN!!

Scouting would probably be best for him to start until the players who are playing now are done (at least most of them). I can imagine it would be hard for him and the players to go from teammate to coach just like that. Doesn't mean he can't work with the players at practice but don't give him a "coach" title.

Would be a VERY classy move though to keep him in the organization!

old_time_hockey
10-11-2006, 12:02 PM
Something along the lines of manager of player relations could be up his alley.

He has just departed from the players side of things. So of anyone, he would know most about what they go through coming into the leauge. He would be good to council 16 yearolds on what the WHL will be like. How to battle homesickness when it sets in. Tips and pointers on how to survive long bus trips.

langdak
10-11-2006, 12:23 PM
Something along the lines of manager of player relations could be up his alley.

He has just departed from the players side of things. So of anyone, he would know most about what they go through coming into the leauge. He would be good to council 16 yearolds on what the WHL will be like. How to battle homesickness when it sets in. Tips and pointers on how to survive long bus trips.

and..................

how to grow the best damn playoff beard i have seen in a long time :thumb:

Bran
10-11-2006, 12:27 PM
When Braden Appleby was out with an injury in '05 the Pats made him an assistant coach and it seems to have worked out there. I believe the Rebels did the same thing with Cam Ondrik, who was actually hired as an assistant the following year. Curtis Austring was made an assistant coach following his last season as a player. It can work, as long as the players and their 'new coach' respect eachother, and understand their roles. I would expect that in a situation like that, his main job wouldn't be to actually "coach". He would more likely be there to encourage guys, maybe give them some advice, but he'd likely be more of a team leader than a coach. Something he'd probably be doing right now if he were playing anyway. If he deserves it, then I say go for it...but cautiously.

old_time_hockey
10-11-2006, 12:30 PM
and..................

how to grow the best damn playoff beard i have seen in a long time :thumb:

I don't think that even Chad could have helped someone like Brule :laugh:

Some things can be taught, others are genetic. Although it seems Fistric went to the Scharff School of Playoff Beards

dondo
10-11-2006, 12:39 PM
this would be a great thing for the organization to do and keep Chad in the mix. I like the idea of Chad going out and being one of the faces which talks to prospects and new bantam draftees. Good on ya Chad hope it happens for you.

rinkrat
10-11-2006, 03:42 PM
Is it possible that Chad could stay on as an assistant coach/adviser,and continue to practise with the team.He could then be "insurance" in case one of our other 20 year olds gets injured(season ending)?
Is this allowed under league rules?

Knuckles Muldoon
10-11-2006, 06:42 PM
Keeping Scharffie around in some capacity is a strangely curious option. As far some kind of assistant goes, it might be better to go play the year somewhere else and come back to the Giants at the start of next year (or later this year at playoff time) if both sides agree to give it a shot.