PDA

View Full Version : re: NHL lockout news

GBG BLEED BLUE
02-18-2005, 09:14 PM
I was listening to the Pats/Warriors game on CKRM(this is only a rumour) The two sides of the lockout have agreed to go ahead with a season but the salary Cap is set at $45 Million. I would like to hear what u guys think? Is this a good sign for the hockey world? Will this this have a positive or Negative effect on Junior Hockey in Canada and the U.S

Rebels_chick
02-18-2005, 10:18 PM
Yeah, that rumour is posted on tsn.ca and nhlpa.com I believe.
I don't know what to think about that right now.
As much as I want NHL hockey, I have some reasons for not.
I don't know how much it would affect other teams in the WHL, but I
really don't want to lose Dion right now lol.

But this is just a rumour, and I'm not going to take it too seriously.

fightstrap50
02-18-2005, 10:38 PM
do you guys think they would actually take the players that should or could be playing in the NHL away from there teams if they returned?

RDRebelsfan
02-18-2005, 10:45 PM
they could, but I wouldnt see a point.

Rebels_chick
02-18-2005, 11:27 PM
I don't really see the point either.

rinkrat
02-19-2005, 01:00 AM
I would think the CHL players would be a hot commodity for the NHL.They are in awesome physical and mental shape right now!Too bad for some dub teams though.hahahaha
Go Giants. :thumb:

Tinner
02-19-2005, 08:42 AM
Whether or not the NHL teams take or use CHL players is most likely something they will think about if and when a determination of whether there will be hockey is decided.

Right now I think there will be some sort of meaningless season because there are teams that will or could fold like a cheap tent if they lose their fragile fan base (Phoenix, Anaheim, Florida, Nashville and Pittsburgh) without a season. As Bill Watters has suggested, I find it hard to believe that bringing in 99 and 66, with the help of Stevie Y, doesn't make this seem like it is likely. Also, Gartner is at the table, as a fresh face and that of reason. Did the players who make less than the league average and in the majority, finally get a say? Did ESPN and NBC intervene?

Ok, back to CHL players. I would hope that the NHL teams would let the CHL teams keep their players (Phaneuf in RD). These teams are in a playoff race and for any team to lose a high impact player at this time of year would have a devastating impact. Although not insurmountable, it may have the effect that other players would take up the slack and therefore try to play beyond their natural style. We all know what happens next.

Random thoughts! :burningma

Beaner
02-19-2005, 09:12 AM
Ok, back to CHL players. I would hope that the NHL teams would let the CHL teams keep their players (Phaneuf in RD). These teams are in a playoff race and for any team to lose a high impact player at this time of year would have a devastating impact.

Unfortunatley I don't think the NHL teams will give 2 hoots about what happens to WHL teams and their playoff races. Too many teams have a lot of players that are not under contract yet, so any player that they do have signed to a contract has a pretty good chance of getting called up right away, especially a player like Phaneuff.

Tinner
02-19-2005, 09:48 AM
with your statement and i hope that it isn't the case.....for any team that has or is in that situation.

Beaner
02-19-2005, 10:47 AM
I think the only thing good about this is that almost all the Teams in Dub are in the same situation, they all have a chance of losing a few of their best players to the NHL if the season starts.

Can't blame the players if they go, it's been their dream for a long time.

fightstrap50
02-19-2005, 11:31 AM
I think the only thing good about this is that almost all the Teams in Dub are in the same situation, they all have a chance of losing a few of their best players to the NHL if the season starts.

Can't blame the players if they go, it's been their dream for a long time.

i agree with you fully after all thats why they"re so dedicated to their game. i would hate to see the ice lose Glass to ottawa right now though or dawes to NYR,but like one post above says they are in top shape right now and ready to take the call

The_Vulk
02-19-2005, 04:46 PM
Even with the help of the Great One and the Magnificent One, a deal was not made.

Sources: No progress after 6½ hours of NHL talks with Gretzky, Lemieux and Linden (http://sports.sympatico.msn.ca/Home/ContentPosting.aspx?feedname=CP-AllSports&newsitemid=9157010)
19/02/2005 4:22:00 PM

NEW YORK (CP) - It appears Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux and NHL Players' Association president Trevor Linden were unable to kick-start NHL labour talks Saturday.

Sources on both sides said no progress was made at the 6½-hour session and there are no talks scheduled for Sunday. The prognosis was bleak.

Commissioner Gary Bettman and NHLPA executive director Bob Goodenow were not present. But their right-hand men, the NHL's Bill Daly and NHLPA's Ted Saskin, were in the room, a source said.

Tinner
02-19-2005, 05:21 PM
i am however becoming more frustrated that these guys, being paid to run a billion dollar industry, still act like spoiled brats. This decision should result in Bettmans head and most likely Bob's.

The players are the losers, as they will never make back what they have lost, and the owners will!!

The_Vulk
02-20-2005, 09:45 AM
I'd have to say, the true loser in all this are the fans, and those companies who rely of the NHL for business.

Besides, the players are still working (stay in game shape/being paid) working in Europe.

They are experiencing the free-market system, just like they wanted. Sure hope they begin to realize how well off they really where.