PDA

View Full Version : Blades VS Ice (3-2 Blades - S.O) - Game story.

Tidball
10-11-2006, 10:35 PM
Well this was an ironic time for Panchyson to make his return after his shoulder injury. The Ice controlled about 70% of the game. Ryan Russel has mad puck skills and great speed and it was a pain watching him rush in to our zone numberous times. Blades hit the board first with a very nice Effort from MacAuley, he skated down with Cloud on a 2 on 1, faked the shot then deked and beat Dakers low left side. Sorry but i failed to recall the Ice 1st goal. Blades would make it 2-1 though with MacAngus recieving a very nice pass from Wintoneak(?) and tapping it in. The Ice would tied it up as hometown boy Steve DaSilva just gets out of the box and steals the puck, he makes a little move to the left and beats a partailly screened Holtby mid blocker side.

Shootout

Braeden Holty made some UNREAL saves in the shootout.
0-0 with Gillies as the final shooter(doesnt get much more intense then this) Gillies comes in and pulls a sweet deke move sending Dakers on his but and putting 2 much needed points to the Blades record. Holtby was the reason we won this game.

Fight - DaSilva VS Cole...... Steve Dasilva lays a very dangerous hit to Visnak(5-7, 160pnds) agianst the boards. He was comming in full speed, jumped and hit elbow first into Visnak's face.(how that wasnt a game major is beyond me..... but you know how our refs our with dangerous elbows *cough* MacCrae *cough*) So Cole ran at Steve and started throwing. Cole woulda murdered DaSilva if he could have, you shoulda seen the look in his face. Dasilve put up a great fight though and landed a great shot to Coles chin which slowed him down abit. But Cole landed more shots and threw Steve to the Ice HARD then punched him 2 more times (which gave him a ten minute misconduct) Good fight. Winner - Cole

So far the best game on CUC.

Trav
10-11-2006, 10:54 PM
not that it surprises me, he did awhile back against the Broncos to. Now thats what a good captain, stands up for the team. Good job Cole, Holtby and the Blades.

howley
10-12-2006, 12:55 AM
Pregame - the arena is cold...not cold but like...fricken cold like "my teeth are chattering and my nipples wrecked my shirt" cold. What the heck. Why do I feel wind blowing on my neck...I assume they shut off the refrigeration system to save on the bills (since they predict no one will come with no Setogouchi). And just turn on the air conditioner to keep the ice frozen.

1st Period...
Blades come out flying and the Ice come out very slow. Under two minutes there is a 2-1 (not sure which d-man got stuck...I think Greenan) Mcauley comes flying down the right side on the 2-1. Mcauley with the puck. It looks like he makes a big mistake and get's in way to deep but Dakers get's himself out of position somehow and Mcauley slides it home into an open net. Mcauley had a very solid game, working hard at both ends of the ice. The kids got some wheels. "He'll get drafted before Gillies...what? No. Well, maybe. No... well...he could..." That's the argument I have with myself at the end of the first.

Half way through the first Dasilva runs over Visnak in the corner. Cole steps up and drops the gloves picking up the instigator...clutch and grab fight for the former teammates. Cole got some decent shots in at the end and get's the take down. Decision=Cole. Picks up a 10 on top of it. The two chat after a whistle in the 2nd. All's good.
Shots 12-7 for Ice
Not bad...considering Brandon had 3 the other night in the first.

2nd Period...
Blades are 2 men down. Ice control the puck with ease as the pass it around the perimiter. Bilsten eventually puts it in the back of the net from Russel and Dasilva...(yah so I don't remember this goal).

6 minutes later there is another 2-1. Wintoneak makes a perfect pass to Macangus who has more than a wide open net and more than enough time to make the twine ripple. Blades 2-1 after 2.
Shots 24-14 - Ice
Holtby is winning it.

3rd
Dasilva comes out of the box and cuts off a weak pass from ?. He breaks in on a partial break. Makes a great move to the right and puts the puck over Holtby's left shoulder...yes that's a hard shot, even a harder save. Very very nice goal from Dasilva who was the strongest player for the Ice tonight. Game is tied after 3.

Holtby faces 42 shots over 60 minutes and looks great. This kids positioning is just insane. His side to side movement is very quick and precise. Will be watching him in the big times someday.
Dakers faces 21 through 60 and looks alright...no incredible saves my Taylor on this night. Not that he had many shots where he needed to make those kind of saves.

Overtime was next to pointless...

Shootout -
Bilsten - x
Wintoneak - x
Maxwell - x
Mccrae - x
Russel - close...but x
Gillies - very nice move and...check mark.
Game over

Game recap...
Who was good:
Dasilva was the strongest of the Ice. Russel looked good of course. Maxwell the same. Bilsten and Bailey both had decent games as well. The Ice just came out very very slow in the first and just never seemed to get their legs till about the last 10 minutes of the game. Chad Greenan looked very slow tonight (maybe he is just slow). He did not have a great game by any means. Except for 1 penalty kill when they were down 2 men. Greenan blocked three hard shots within 25 seconds and then cleared it. Very good PK for him. Dustin Sylvester either got hit in the face alot tonight or was just trying to draw penalties. He went down holding his face on more than one occasion. Kevin King took an ugly head shot from Gillies (hit of the game according to the guys upstairs...somewhat of a dirty hit in my eyes). He got up and skated to the bench with no helmet. Tough Kid. Finally Paul Kurceba looked like the poison of the team tonight. Yelling at team mates, negative reactions to line changes, etc. Just didn't have a great attitude whatsoever. I wasn't watching for it at first but it was noticeable. Is this common?

Blades:
Clements and Geric had very limited icetime. Geric had a very poor penalty kill in the first, not getting in the lanes, getting skated around, etc. Didn't see much ice after that till late in the third when he almost potted the winner. Mccauley was the strongest blade (besides holtby) tonight. Hard work, one goal and decent defensive play. Logan had a pretty sold game as well along with Cole, Macangus and Cameron. Mcrae had some chances. No matter what anyone says, there are players that are scared of Gillies as they should be. at 190lbs 6'4, smooth skating center bearing down on you. I'd try to get out of the way as well. As good of skater as he is...he doesn't pass to much and if he does hangs on to it way to long. Not super smart with the puck or real strong on it at this point. Alot of people were surprised he wasn't in the top 10 of the draft rankings. Don't be surprised, very smooth skater, very strong kid, but needs to put up the points or he'll go 3rd, 4th round.

Only 1 official tonight, anyone else seen this so far this year? He called a decent game as well (Vetter). The linesman actually got boo'd tonight. That's rare but they deserved it with some missed calls both ways. How do you miss icing and offside? None the less very good game to watch.
Until Next Time...

Forgot Zahn
Teigan Zahn...I would say he is going to be good...but he already is! His season to this point reminds me alot of Phaneuf with the Flames last season. Just playing like a veteran, very smart with the puck, gains the zone on his own if need be. Great skater, decent shot, just very heads up D-man and playing in big key situations, 1:30 seconds left in the game, he's out there, 5-3 pk he is out there, pp he is out there, starting in overtime, he is out there. Coaches have great confidence in this kid and for good reason.

Tidball
10-12-2006, 11:47 AM
. "He'll get drafted before Gillies...what? No. Well, maybe. No... well...he could..." That's the argument I have with myself at the end of the first.

Don't be surprised, very smooth skater, very strong kid, but needs to put up the points or he'll go 3rd, 4th round.

Forgot Zahn
Teigan Zahn...I would say he is going to be good...but he already is! His season to this point reminds me alot of Phaneuf with the Flames last season. Just playing like a veteran, very smart with the puck, gains the zone on his own if need be. Great skater, decent shot, just very heads up D-man and playing in big key situations, 1:30 seconds left in the game, he's out there, 5-3 pk he is out there, pp he is out there, starting in overtime, he is out there. Coaches have great confidence in this kid and for good reason.

Well i disagree with you on Gillies. no chance in hell that he doesnt get drafted in the 1st round. MacAuley could suprise this draft. I agree with you 100% on Zahn. You said he reminds you of a young phanuef, i say he reminds me of a young mike Green(looks like him too) NTL Zahn is very impressive as a 16 year old.

Overall im thrilled that we got a win VS the Ice without 3 of our top players in Menei, Konecny, and Ward. Good work Blue.

howley
10-12-2006, 11:49 AM
any news on why they were out. I feel out of the loop.

ProStaff
10-12-2006, 12:25 PM
from the pre game interview, with lorne, he siad a few guys were out of the line up for breaking team rules, What ever that means?

howley
10-12-2006, 01:33 PM
said klotz, ward and menei missed a team meating earlier in the day and Konecny has a concussion.

GOBLADESGO#3 (among other aliases)
10-12-2006, 08:12 PM
said klotz, ward and menei missed a team meating earlier in the day and Konecny has a concussion.

mhmmm anybody know how Konecny got that concussion?

Goblades26
10-12-2006, 10:49 PM
Thanks, I missed what happened with Konesny and Menei.... Wondered if they were sick. Hopefully Koney gets better fast. Geesh, how can those three miss a team meeting? Kinda sad really that they cant show up on time or at all.

And wow, we clearly have one of, if not the best goalies in the league this year. The boys need to step up for Holtby, as he is clearly giving us a chance to stay in these games. Heck just watching him is entertainment on its own.

GOBLADESGO#3 (among other aliases)
10-13-2006, 12:07 AM
Well it seems to be the same situation as last year with Anton, except we were very good, we could score and we didnt take dumb penalties if we can do the same as last year and dont be dumb we can do it all over again but it doesnt seem were doing that so far.

howley
10-13-2006, 12:15 AM
except holtby doesn't let out 15 ft rebounds to the top of the pie, not to mention controls his rebounds 50 times better and plays way more consistently then Khudobin did. just my 2 cents. oh and is way better playing the puck. Khudobin was alright, don't get me wrong. Way to inconsistent though.

wango tango
10-13-2006, 09:25 AM
except holtby doesn't let out 15 ft rebounds to the top of the pie, not to mention controls his rebounds 50 times better and plays way more consistently then Khudobin did. just my 2 cents. oh and is way better playing the puck. Khudobin was alright, don't get me wrong. Way to inconsistent though.

when khudobin was on he was excellent, when it was an off night.... ugly. holtby seems to be a much more positionally sound goaltender and yes his rebound control is good. only knock on him (and it's probably just from being a rookie) is he tends to over play the puck leaving the backdoor open.

the blades will be fine. if they can get enough goal scoring, improve the power play, and start putting more shots on net.

Tidball
10-14-2006, 01:21 AM
Agreed with most of what you guys said. Khudos had his on and off nights. But when he was on, he could single handedly win us some hockey games. Im glad to see Konecy back from his concussion and also scoring 3 times (once in SO) and getting the first star in an away barn on his first night back. Konecny keeps getting better and better.