PDA

View Full Version : Blades vs Ice Recap from Toon Town

howley
10-12-2006, 12:58 AM
Pregame - the arena is cold...not cold but like...fricken cold like "my teeth are chattering and my nipples wrecked my shirt" cold. What the heck. Why do I feel wind blowing on my neck...I assume they shut off the refrigeration system to save on the bills (since they predict no one will come with no Setogouchi). And just turn on the air conditioner to keep the ice frozen.

1st Period...
Blades come out flying and the Ice come out very slow. Under two minutes there is a 2-1 (not sure which d-man got stuck...I think Greenan) Mcauley comes flying down the right side on the 2-1. Mcauley with the puck. It looks like he makes a big mistake and get's in way to deep but Dakers get's himself out of position somehow and Mcauley slides it home into an open net. Mcauley had a very solid game, working hard at both ends of the ice. The kids got some wheels. "He'll get drafted before Gillies...what? No. Well, maybe. No... well...he could..." That's the argument I have with myself at the end of the first.

Half way through the first Dasilva runs over Visnak in the corner. Cole steps up and drops the gloves picking up the instigator...clutch and grab fight for the former teammates. Cole got some decent shots in at the end and get's the take down. Decision=Cole. Picks up a 10 on top of it. The two chat after a whistle in the 2nd. All's good.
Shots 12-7 for Ice
Not bad...considering Brandon had 3 the other night in the first.

2nd Period...
Blades are 2 men down. Ice control the puck with ease as the pass it around the perimiter. Bilsten eventually puts it in the back of the net from Russel and Dasilva...(yah so I don't remember this goal).

6 minutes later there is another 2-1. Wintoneak makes a perfect pass to Macangus who has more than a wide open net and more than enough time to make the twine ripple. Blades 2-1 after 2.
Shots 24-14 - Ice
Holtby is winning it.

3rd
Dasilva comes out of the box and cuts off a weak pass from ?. He breaks in on a partial break. Makes a great move to the right and puts the puck over Holtby's left shoulder...yes that's a hard shot, even a harder save. Very very nice goal from Dasilva who was the strongest player for the Ice tonight. Game is tied after 3.

Holtby faces 42 shots over 60 minutes and looks great. This kids positioning is just insane. His side to side movement is very quick and precise. Will be watching him in the big times someday.
Dakers faces 21 through 60 and looks alright...no incredible saves my Taylor on this night. Not that he had many shots where he needed to make those kind of saves.

Overtime was next to pointless...

Shootout -
Bilsten - x
Wintoneak - x
Maxwell - x
Mccrae - x
Russel - close...but x
Gillies - very nice move and...check mark.
Game over

Game recap...
Who was good:
Dasilva was the strongest of the Ice. Russel looked good of course. Maxwell the same. Bilsten and Bailey both had decent games as well. The Ice just came out very very slow in the first and just never seemed to get their legs till about the last 10 minutes of the game. Chad Greenan looked very slow tonight (maybe he is just slow). He did not have a great game by any means. Except for 1 penalty kill when they were down 2 men. Greenan blocked three hard shots within 25 seconds and then cleared it. Very good PK for him. Dustin Sylvester either got hit in the face alot tonight or was just trying to draw penalties. He went down holding his face on more than one occasion. Kevin King took an ugly head shot from Gillies (hit of the game according to the guys upstairs...somewhat of a dirty hit in my eyes). He got up and skated to the bench with no helmet. Tough Kid. Finally Paul Kurceba looked like the poison of the team tonight. Yelling at team mates, negative reactions to line changes, etc. Just didn't have a great attitude whatsoever. I wasn't watching for it at first but it was noticeable. Is this common?

Blades:
Clements and Geric had very limited icetime. Geric had a very poor penalty kill in the first, not getting in the lanes, getting skated around, etc. Didn't see much ice after that till late in the third when he almost potted the winner. Mccauley was the strongest blade (besides holtby) tonight. Hard work, one goal and decent defensive play. Logan had a pretty sold game as well along with Cole, Macangus and Cameron. Mcrae had some chances. No matter what anyone says, there are players that are scared of Gillies as they should be. at 190lbs 6'4, smooth skating center bearing down on you. I'd try to get out of the way as well. As good of skater as he is...he doesn't pass to much and if he does hangs on to it way to long. Not super smart with the puck or real strong on it at this point. Alot of people were surprised he wasn't in the top 10 of the draft rankings. Don't be surprised, very smooth skater, very strong kid, but needs to put up the points or he'll go 3rd, 4th round.

Only 1 official tonight, anyone else seen this so far this year? He called a decent game as well (Vetter). The linesman actually got boo'd tonight. That's rare but they deserved it with some missed calls both ways. How do you miss icing and offside? None the less very good game to watch.
Until Next Time...

Spungy
10-13-2006, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the recap! i always love to get a live perspective on it from a fans point of view!