PDA

View Full Version : Bowles released

Sput
10-12-2006, 10:48 AM
Courtesy of: http://www.pgcougars.com/cats/1/Home

Oct 12 2006

Bowles Released To Waiver Draft

PRINCE GEORGE, BC- The Prince George Cougars have announced today that goaltender Scott Bowles has been released and will enter the 20 year old Waiver Draft set to take place this afternoon.

I don't think this comes as much of a surprise to anyone. Scuttlebutt around the CNCenter was that Scotty got one start before he was released, and that was Tuesday.

It was great to see you in Cougar colors Scotty! Best of luck with the rest of your career!

bones
10-13-2006, 02:34 AM
Dont be surprised to see Scotty end up in the OHL, most likely with Saginaw.

PGFlyfisher
10-13-2006, 07:18 AM
Best of luck, Scotty!

Sput
10-13-2006, 09:10 AM
Artical on Bowles courtesy of: http://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/

Friday, October 13, 2006

Cougars throw Bowles a gutterball
by JIM SWANSON, Citizen Sports Editor

Despite the writing being clearly on the wall, Scott Bowles was still surprised.

The 20-year-old goaltender was summoned to a meeting Wednesday night with the coaching staff of the Prince George Cougars, where he was told he was being placed on waivers the next morning.

Bowles, along with defenceman Curtis Cooper, ended up as the extra overagers for the WHL team, with Eric Hunter, Brett Robertson and Jared Walker preferred as better fits to this lineup.

Bowles, who holds the team record for career shutouts (8), shutouts in a season (6) and single-season goals-against average (2.40), surrenders the starting job to last year’s backup, 19-year-old Real Cyr.

Cooper, third all-time in games played at 276, was released last week and picked up by the Saginaw Spirit of the OHL after passing through WHL waivers.

Bowles also made it through waivers, and his desire is to land with a major junior team in either the Ontario or Quebec leagues.

“To tell you the truth, I am surprised,” said Bowles, who will return home to Penticton today.

“I’m confident in my abilities and I didn’t really think I was going to be the one to move. But if you look at our team” — he still talked in terms of ‘our’ — “we had depth in net and on defence, and maybe we needed that extra spot up front. That’s what it came down to.”

Bowles was able to say good-bye to his teammates late Wednesday. The toughest part was greeting Cyr, a close friend despite the competition.

“It felt like I lost a good friend, it wasn’t about losing a job, and I was struggling with things last night,” said Bowles. “But I wish them all the best.”

Bowles was in the stands for the first six games of the regular season, watching Cyr start five of them. Bowles got a crack at the crease on Tuesday and certainly wasn’t the worst Cougar on the ice in a 4-0 loss at CN Centre to the Swift Current Broncos. His goal is to make sure he isn’t done at this level.

Even after Tuesday’s game, he was foreshadowing the decision to come.

“If this was my last game as a Prince George Cougar, I was proud to be part of the organization,” said Bowles, who became a Cougar in the Justin Pogge deal in January, 2005.

The setback didn’t seem to have hurt the goaltender’s confidence.

“I’m able to explore options throughout the CHL, and I feel I’m capable of playing at this level,” said Bowles, who declined to name or give a number to the calls he received Thursday from OHL or QMJHL clubs.

“I’ve talked to a few teams and I want to find the right situation. I’ll play it by ear, but it’s been a hectic day. I know I’ve had to ask some people where some of these places are, how many people live there, things like that. I don’t know that side of the country very well, so it’s a matter of doing my homework.”

The only player selected in the WHL waiver draft Thursday was former Vancouver Giants defenceman Chad Scharff. Chilliwack added his rights, but Scharff has indicated he may retire.

The first rumour will be that Bowles will end up across town with the Spruce Kings, backstopping that struggling team in a season they’ll host the RBC Royal Bank Cup. Scharff’s name has also been whispered in the same sentence as the Spruce Kings.

“I don’t really want to be taking a step backward,” said Bowles, who played for Cougars head coach Mike Vandekamp in Vernon as a 16-year-old. “I haven’t talked to anyone from Junior A yet, and I’ll leave my options open. I believe something is going to happen as far as staying in the CHL. Getting four years of schooling is the first goal, and keeping my dream of the NHL. But if I’m in P.G., I’ll be a happy camper because I’ve enjoyed my time here, and it would be fun to be a part of something like the Royal Bank Cup.”

n Cooper was plus-1 and wearing a familiar jersey, No. 3, for Saginaw on Thursday in a 5-3 win over the Peterbourough Petes. The Spirit has won four games in a row.