PDA

View Full Version : bruins select scharff

dj-kris
10-12-2006, 03:53 PM
Bruins Select Scharff in 20-Year-Old Cutdown Draft
Created: Oct 12, 2006
Fan Zone
Calgary, AB -- The Chilliwack Bruins selected defenseman Chad Scharff in the Western Hockey League 20-year-old cutdown draft on Thursday, October 12th.

Scharff, a 20-year-old product of Airdrie, AB, was released by the Vancouver Giants earlier in the week.

WHL teams had until October 12th to reduce the number of 20-year-old players on their roster to the maximum of three, with the only exception being the Chilliwack Bruins, who are allowed five overage spots as an expansion team.

All other 20-year-olds who were available but not selected in the cutdown draft now become free agents.

Carebear
10-12-2006, 04:17 PM
What...the....eff...is all I can say

BruinsHockey
10-12-2006, 04:23 PM
why is this so hard to accept? he was CUT by you guys, and has been given another opportunity to play on another team. Good for him.

Kassian
10-12-2006, 04:50 PM
Very good news. Scharff will bring plenty of leadership to the Bruins. Hopefully he'll decide to stick around for the rest of the season and play for Chilliwack.

Coyote14
10-12-2006, 05:54 PM
I'm looking forward to having him on our team. We really need someone with some leadership and experience.

I can understand his decision if he decides not to play here though.

BruinsHockey
10-12-2006, 05:55 PM
Here is something for everyone to keep in mind. The Bruins got his rights, it now depends on him whether he wants to play or explore other opportunities.

GF71
10-12-2006, 06:33 PM
I just want to let everybody know that Chad is NOT going to report the Bruins. It has nothing to do with the Bruins at all. It has everythign to do with life after hockey. Chad is going to retire. He wants to spend some time with his family...don't forget a lot of these guys leave home at 16 and let's be honest.. they miss their families. He is going to concentrate on his life after hockey and start his schooling.

There is also another pretty serious reason. I found this out early last season and could not openly talk about it on here, but Chad has a very seriously injured shoulder. This is why he was not playing and has missed numerous games over the last season and a bit. He played all last season mostly against Doctors suggestion and advise. In reality he should've packed it in over a season ago.

old_time_hockey
10-12-2006, 10:22 PM
If Chad wants to play Canadian University hockey, I'm sure the UBC T-Birds would DIE to have him.

Play with 3 other ex-Giants. I bet it would be a blast. May+Bartley+Scharff = OMG!!!!

N.W. Bruin
10-12-2006, 10:28 PM
If Chad wants to play Canadian University hockey, I'm sure the UBC T-Birds would DIE to have him.

Play with 3 other ex-Giants. I bet it would be a blast. May+Bartley+Scharff = OMG!!!!

But he can still head to a Canadian university to get a degree if he wants. Totally up to Chad.

old_time_hockey
10-12-2006, 10:56 PM
But he can still head to a Canadian university to get a degree if he wants. Totally up to Chad.
Yeah, but you know the U of A Golden Bears have probably already called him. "Chad, we have money. BAGS of money....come play for us. We are your best chance at a CIS title". He could have his pick of any of the schools.

I'm just being selfish and want to see him wear the blue white and gold of the T-Birds :D

Hunt24
10-12-2006, 10:58 PM

Actually, you missed a few!!!

Kevin Seibel
Kyle Bruce
Andrew Davidson

and of course

Milan Dragicevic

old_time_hockey
10-12-2006, 11:18 PM
Actually, you missed a few!!!

Kevin Seibel
Kyle Bruce
Andrew Davidson

and of course

Milan Dragicevic
i thought that Kyle Bruce took off and made the ECHL....forget what team

Carebear
10-12-2006, 11:19 PM
Played for Columbia Inferno but is apparently back at UBC now.

old_time_hockey
10-12-2006, 11:26 PM
Yeah, he made the Inferno, then decided to come to UBC, then I thought that he decided that he wanted to go pro again.

Maybe I was reading an old press release. Cause he is still on the T-Birds roster

EDIT: My bad.....He did go T-birds, Inferno, T-Birds....I am just a year behind :o

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=00050624

Swando
10-13-2006, 12:13 AM
If Chad is reading this message: here it is:: Chill out..let the shoulder heal.. play beer leaque hockey to stay with the game..get a job that pays okay but you'll hate...then realize a paid education at the U of C or SAIT or Mount Royal is ok as all tuition is paid and you can commute! 2007 here we come

langdak
10-13-2006, 01:00 AM
Yeah, he made the Inferno, then decided to come to UBC, then I thought that he decided that he wanted to go pro again.

Maybe I was reading an old press release. Cause he is still on the T-Birds roster

EDIT: My bad.....He did go T-birds, Inferno, T-Birds....I am just a year behind :o

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=00050624

Kyle Bruce signed with the Idaho Steelheads of the ECHL on Oct 8th

http://www.idahosteelheads.com/rost...fm?playerID=197

Hunt24
10-13-2006, 02:10 AM
Notice also on that roster is Darrell Hay, Don's kid.

dondo
10-13-2006, 11:04 AM
well I'm sure the Bruins could have used him, but it sounds like a bit of re-hab and then maybe some education is more in Chad's future. Its too bad you guys don't get him on your roster dj-kris, but it sounds like its time for another direction for our Chad.

Hey good luck in your future endeavours Chad and at least its nice to still be wanted in the dub though, eh?

dj-kris
10-13-2006, 05:28 PM
Some questions i have is if his shoulder is in such bad shape how was he going to play for the giants this year anyway? And why was there even any talk about slade being the odd man out if he wasnt able to even play?

Swando
10-13-2006, 05:35 PM
Some questions i have is if his shoulder is in such bad shape how was he going to play for the giants this year anyway? And why was there even any talk about slade being the odd man out if he wasnt able to even play?

Possibly a PR move on the Giants part??? who knows

rinkrat
10-13-2006, 05:39 PM
Its no secret that Scharff has had shoulder issues dating back to last year.He sat the last two games as well.

As for Slade,the Giants or any other team are not going to tell the public or other teams who they plan on keeping or trading.
That being said,I find it a bit amusing that we are kicking around McCue for not wanting to play for Spokane(for reasons unknown),yet Scharff gets no heat for not reporting to the Bruins.

Hunt24
10-13-2006, 05:50 PM
Some questions i have is if his shoulder is in such bad shape how was he going to play for the giants this year anyway?

He played through it last year. When in PG he tweaked it and it got slightly worse.

And why was there even any talk about slade being the odd man out if he wasnt able to even play?

There wasn't a lot of talk about Slade being moved - not serious talk anyway. With a Mem Cup spot guaranteed going there with a goalie who has been through it before was just too nice of a situation for the brass to pass up. When I posted here that a goalie was being moved east (I'm sure you guys remember the thread :thumb:), I was told two teams, Regina and Saskatoon. And no point did I ever consider Slade OR Tartaglione. But given the goalie moves other teams made, it made complete sense.