PDA

View Full Version : Rebels Lose in OT

SectionNDeserter
10-13-2006, 11:43 PM
I hope that with the outcome of this game, Sutter will decide to end the "Mike Cann experiment". What team drafted this guy in the first round of the bantam draft?!?!?!?!? And why?!?!?! And were all their scouts fired at the conclusion of the draft?!?!?! Any of our other defensemen can seemingly skate backwards at twice the speed that he can skate forward--without the puck, and he makes plenty of bad passes. His only real asset that I can see is that he does have a pretty decent point shot, which he doesn't get a chance to use nearly enough (because he can't skate). He sure made his defensive assignment look good on Lethbridge's third goal.... :spineyes:

Also a pretty off game by Reimer. He was snoozing prior to the second goal, and didn't bang his stick on the ice to tell his teammates that the player was coming out of the penalty box to steal the puck from the point man, and send his linemate in on a breakaway. He also didn't skate to the bench for the extra attacker on 2 of the delayed penalties. And well, the game winner just speaks for itself...

I really liked what I saw from a few of the players however. Vandermeer, Lamoureux, Lynch and Brett Sutter blocked a lot of key shots, and showed a lot of hustle. Knackstedt looked really good out there, was skating hard, hitting guys, and really driving hard to the net. And Hanzal... That guy is an absolute joy to watch. On top of his great offensive instincts, he is probably our best penalty killer. If Cann were a healthy scratch, and Reimer would have had a better game, I think we wouldn't have seen this game go to overtime.

Tinner
10-14-2006, 06:30 AM
most of what you have said, I certainly agree with. The bigger problem that jumps out when watching the game(s) is the lack of any offensive threat from any of the other lines, except for the Hanzel line. Some of the players show indivdual hustle and skill but as a group or line there is little production.

That said, they should just have 6 lines of 2 and when the refs allow 5 on 5 play, add the 3rd guy. There is absolutely no flow to the games. You'd almost think we're paying to evaluate the refs and, by the way, there is a hockey game going on.

As it stands and if Brent seen what we seen, I expect to see Clarke in goal tonight and Hanzel and Gretal (Starkov) will play the whole game...lol

SectionNDeserter
10-14-2006, 07:08 AM
most of what you have said, I certainly agree with. The bigger problem that jumps out when watching the game(s) is the lack of any offensive threat from any of the other lines, except for the Hanzel line. Some of the players show indivdual hustle and skill but as a group or line there is little production.This is certainly a problem, though not our biggest problem the last couple of games. I think right now our forward lines each consist of 2 players, and one passenger, and it is just going to be a matter of putting those 3 or 4 passengers on a line with each other, that see 2 shifts per game.

That said, they should just have 6 lines of 2 and when the refs allow 5 on 5 play, add the 3rd guy. There is absolutely no flow to the games. You'd almost think we're paying to evaluate the refs and, by the way, there is a hockey game going on.This is an area that has certainly improved, at least since the start of the season. The players are committing a lot less interference penalties than at the start of the season, and the refs seem to be letting a bit more of it go.

As it stands and if Brent seen what we seen, I expect to see Clarke in goal tonight and Hanzel and Gretal (Starkov) will play the whole game...lolScratch Cann, and put a move a competant defenseman up in his place, and maybe shuffle a few of the forward lines around and I think we will be good. I think that humiliating goal in overtime will be enough motivation for Reimer to get his head in the game for tonight's game.

RDRebelsfan
10-14-2006, 03:44 PM
imo for mos tof the goals, I don't think blame can be fully placed on Reimer. Especially that OT goal. That OT goal was redirected off a Rebel skate and in those situations you can't really do much.

SectionNDeserter
10-14-2006, 03:55 PM
That OT goal was redirected off a Rebel skate and in those situations you can't really do much.No, it wasn't even a shot, the Defenseman lifted the forward's stick, and it weakly just continued on and trickled between Reimer's legs. VERY weak goal. He did make a lot of other good saves in the game, but mentally he just wasn't in the game the whole night.

tiny
10-14-2006, 10:18 PM
I'm afraid you are wrong on this one. It definitely went in off our defenceman's skate. Still a weak goal??? maybe. (but it was deflected.)

RDRebelsfan
10-15-2006, 01:58 AM
No, it wasn't even a shot, the Defenseman lifted the forward's stick, and it weakly just continued on and trickled between Reimer's legs. VERY weak goal. He did make a lot of other good saves in the game, but mentally he just wasn't in the game the whole night.

Let me ask you a simple question. Have you even played goal before?

He read the play wrong, but he anticipated that is was going to go to the directed target's stick on the pass and thus it was REDIRECTED off a skate.

SectionNDeserter
10-15-2006, 08:21 AM
Let me ask you a simple question. Have you even played goal before?

Yes, yes I have.

He read the play wrong, but he anticipated that is was going to go to the directed target's stick on the pass and thus it was REDIRECTED off a skate.
I was about 20 ft away from the goal when it was scored so I can tell you it was definately not redirected. The forward took the pass at the line, flew in over the line with it, the defenseman backed on him a bit a bit, then rushed him, lifting his stick when he was about 5 or 6 feet away from the goal, the player didn't get a chance to shoot, and the puck just continued (slowly) between his legs, at such a speed that it just barely hit the back of the net. It probably looked a lot worse than it actually was, but it is a goal that Reimer would not normally allow if he had his head in the game (which is why we saw Clark in goal tonight).

mapletoft
10-15-2006, 12:16 PM
but it is a goal that Reimer would not normally allow if he had his head in the game (which is why we saw Clark in goal tonight).

That is not true. Unless you are an assistant coach on the Rebels you can not say that! Think - back to back games - Morgan Clark in more than capable and needs the time - I would rather think that is why he is in net!

tiny
10-15-2006, 12:39 PM
Have you seen the replay?? I did not say the forward crashing to the net touched the puck. The pass to the forward hit the blade of Egener's skate before it got to the forward and trickled in.

RDRebelsfan
10-15-2006, 12:50 PM
Yes, yes I have.

I was about 20 ft away from the goal when it was scored so I can tell you it was definately not redirected. The forward took the pass at the line, flew in over the line with it, the defenseman backed on him a bit a bit, then rushed him, lifting his stick when he was about 5 or 6 feet away from the goal, the player didn't get a chance to shoot, and the puck just continued (slowly) between his legs, at such a speed that it just barely hit the back of the net. It probably looked a lot worse than it actually was, but it is a goal that Reimer would not normally allow if he had his head in the game (which is why we saw Clark in goal tonight).

Watch the hi-lite reel on the Rebels site. You will see, it was clearly redirected.

SectionNDeserter
10-15-2006, 01:28 PM
Watch the hi-lite reel on the Rebels site. You will see, it was clearly redirected.hi-lite reel? I don't see that anywhere on the site, what section is it under?

WHL Rules
10-15-2006, 01:45 PM
hi-lite reel? I don't see that anywhere on the site, what section is it under?

The R Television logo is top right on the website. You can choose between Quicktime and Mediaplayer. Under the button Rebel Reel you can watch the highlights of the home games. :)