PDA

View Full Version : Sooo....any guess when Brule will be back?

Big Daddy
10-14-2006, 12:17 PM
So-so camp, three games in and maybe 8 minutes total with a healthy scratch in the mix. Zherdev signed and Federov due back soon.

I know he has nothing to prove in juniors but seeing that the jump from juniors to C-Bus is so big, where else can he go.

What do you guys think?

Beaner
10-14-2006, 12:45 PM
I just cant see it happening.

Mind you.

Is playing 20 minutes a game in the WHL, a league Brule has clearly outgrown, better than playing 3 minutes a game or practicing only at the NHL?

I guess the only other question is if the CBJ are only going to play him 3-5 minutes a game do they really want to activate his contract? If he plays less than 10 games this year, and is then sent back to junior, the CBJ will still have 3 years left on his rookie contract.

If they keep Brule past the 10 games then they lose one of his "cheap" years on his contract only to watch him play 3-5 minutes.

I really don't know what will happen. I have to think though that the CBJ will keep him up in the NHL, and more than likely will make him available for the World Juniors.

Big Daddy
10-14-2006, 01:06 PM
Hockey is a "what have you done for me lately" business. That has not happened yet for Gilbert and I can't see them paying a year of his contract for limited minutes when they can send him back for free.

As far as his development, I agree that he would get more out of NHL practices with limited game minutes. Question is, who would C-Bus send down to make room for Brule? Tough choice if the guy you are sending down is playing better.

Beaner
10-14-2006, 01:26 PM
Hockey is a "what have you done for me lately" business. That has not happened yet for Gilbert and I can't see them paying a year of his contract for limited minutes when they can send him back for free.

As far as his development, I agree that he would get more out of NHL practices with limited game minutes. Question is, who would C-Bus send down to make room for Brule? Tough choice if the guy you are sending down is playing better.

The other thing to consider is do you keep Brule at 850k counting against your salary cap or do you keep a player who makes less and is playing better?

Of the CBJ Centers salaries,

Fedorov 6.0M
Malhotra 900k
Brule 850k
Svitov 800k
Fritsche 475k
Hartigan 450k

So just doing the math, looks like if Brule cant crack the top 3, from a purely financial perspective, I send him down.

Big Daddy
10-14-2006, 01:50 PM
Exactly Beaner, every CHL kid is faced with this problem at 19. Too good for Major Junior, can't make the show, too young for the AHL. Too bad he couldn't get some pro play in Europe.

I can't see his play elevating if sent back other than getting big minutes and helping the Giants win the mem cup! :) But wow, look at the intangibles he will bring to the team if sent back.

Knuckles Muldoon
10-14-2006, 02:17 PM
Exactly Beaner, every CHL kid is faced with this problem at 19. Too good for Major Junior, can't make the show, too young for the AHL. Too bad he couldn't get some pro play in Europe.

I can't see his play elevating if sent back other than getting big minutes and helping the Giants win the mem cup! :) But wow, look at the intangibles he will bring to the team if sent back.
I would think that playing in Europe would still be an option. And certainly a better option than coming back to the Dub.

SectionNDeserter
10-14-2006, 03:58 PM
I would feel bad for the kid if he got sent back down here. It would be a huge step back in terms where he sits on the Columbus depth chart.

dondo
10-14-2006, 04:09 PM
oh man I think Europe would be a step backward in this case -- rumour had it that Brule was requested to bulk up for the CBJs this season by the BJs. I heard he came to camp 10-15lbs hevaier than he usually is and that might be the concern with his slow start.

- According to the Columbus Dispatch, there are rumblings that the Blue Jackets could return 19 year-old C Gilbert Brule to Vancouver of the Western Hockey League. Brule's only played 6:17 per game, dressing in two of the first three games of the season. Brule, who entered training camp with a chance to play on a scoring line, was unimpressive and, because of Columbus' improved depth up front, could be on the way back to junior.

this^ was posted on the TSN site, via the local paper.

I think coming back to a dub team where he could re-energize his confidence, learn to move that extra weight around, and play in a Memorial Cup would be better than putting in fourth line minutes on the CBJs. I don't see the CBJs willing to waste a UFA eligible year on a scorer sitting on their fourth line.

So the probability seems to be getting more likely that he'll come back -- at least enough to actively muse about it at any rate.

Big Daddy
10-14-2006, 11:23 PM
Good to see the coach worked him into more ice time in the game tonight. Hopefully this is a trend.

Stat sheet: http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20062007/ES020069.HTM

dondo
10-15-2006, 12:20 AM
ooo.. but a minus two wont help his cause esp in a 5-0 drubbing where he's the only player to get -2

Big Daddy
10-15-2006, 12:28 AM
Ya, I saw that. But he really needs to play to see where he stands, you know, what he needs to work on this year to come back next year ready to crack the roster.

If he is sent back, and I think he will be, he will come back with some piss and vinegar and that will only help him and the Giants.

N.W. Bruin
10-15-2006, 01:30 AM
Because Brule didn't attend the summer camp he is ineligible to participate in the World Juniors. A guy like Mikkelson who wasn't invited to the summer camp could be added to the December World Junior camp. But Brule is a definite no go. Hockey Canada rules say that.

Hunt24
10-15-2006, 12:38 PM
Interesting story in the Columbus Dispatch today.

Brule told he can relax (http://www.columbusdispatch.com/bluejackets/bluejackets.php?story=dispatch/2006/10/15/20061015-E12-02.html)

MacLean's quote is most interesting to me:

"For now, I would say no," MacLean said. "That’s not something we’ve even discussed."

Last year, during the Mem Cup, he was often quoted as saying that Brule would be in the NHL next season and Vancouver fans should enjoy him while they have him. But now he seems to be admitted it's an option they are considering - even if they haven't "discussed" it.

I still say the chances are slim, but given his place on the depth chart in Columbus and Fritsche and Federov both due back soon, who knows.

Big Daddy
10-31-2006, 06:24 PM
Thats Hockey on TSN just said Brule will be staying in Cbus. He was told by the team he was staying and to get an apartment.

GF71
10-31-2006, 06:25 PM
:laugh: He got one 3 weeks ago!

old_time_hockey
10-31-2006, 06:28 PM
:laugh: He got one 3 weeks ago!

Oh to be 19 again and getting my first apartment...and with a salary over $500,000.

I could have had even crazier parties ;)

Big Daddy
10-31-2006, 06:57 PM
Geez GF71, you need to let us in on this type of info when you get it! Was that his own apartment or was he shacking up with someone else?

Beaner
11-03-2006, 10:44 AM
Brule will be hitting a pretty important milestone if he plays tonight. It will be his tenth game of the season which automatically activates year one of his 3 year entry level contract.(850k per year).

Since he is still with Columbus, and with his shiny new apartment :), this has to be pretty much the final nail in the Brule returning to the Giants coffin.

Only other really big number for the CBJ in terms of Brule will be if he plays more than 41 games this year then that counts as 1 year towards his 7 years before total Free agency.

Still an outside chance that CBJ may send him down to save that year of FA, but it is extremely unlikely. Less than 10% chance of him being sent back now, IMHO, barring injury or a significant trade by CBJ.

Hunt24
11-09-2006, 07:21 PM
Gilbert gets the nod as the healthy scratch tonight. Looks like he and Svitov will be rotating in and out of the lineup until/unless somebody steps up and grabs the spot as their own.