PDA

View Full Version : Brilliant Brule burns Blazers

rinkrat
02-19-2005, 01:02 AM
wow,4 goals.He looked like a sniper tonight! Definately found Dubnyks weak spot!

Kassian
02-19-2005, 12:21 PM
The Giants always seem to have Dubnyk's number.

The Vancouver Giants broke out of a four-game winless skid, as well as a two-week scoring slump, in a big way on Friday. The G-Men led 3-1 15 minutes into the opening period and then never looked back in a 6-2 thumping of the Kamloops Blazers.

Hot prospect Gilbert Brule broke a personal scoring drought after battling the flu over the past week. The 18-year-old centre last scored in a similar 6-2 win in Swift Current on February 4th , but absolutely exploded versus the Blazers with four goals. The sniper now has 33 goals on the season after tallying twice in the first period, once at even strength before another on the powerplay. He later netted two more in the third, striking while shorthanded and putting one into an empty net. Team captain Triston Grant opened the scoring with his milestone 20th goal of the season four minutes into the game and blueliner Max Gordichuk rounded out the offense with his 2nd of the year on a 5-on-3 powerplay in the final minute.

“I thought he scored some outstanding goals at real critical times,” Giants' bench boss Don Hay said of his star Brule. “The shorthanded goal early in the third period was a critical point of the game for us and we haven't been getting those types of individual efforts lately from any of our players. Sometimes you have to find a way to get out of it and usually your top players find that way. The energy level and the passion we played with early in the game – everybody came out really focused and really committed.”

Vancouver goalie Marek Schwarz only faced 18 shots, getting beaten once legitimately after coughing up the puck on Kamloops ' first goal. One minute following Brule's first goal of the night, Schwarz steered an easy clearing attempt right onto the stick of Blazers' forward Reid Jorgensen's stick and all the 19-year-old had to do was tuck it into an empty net. Rookie Terrance Delaronde scored the other Kamloops marker before the Giants netted three unanswered to run away with the contest.

“We really stuck with it and to answer back after they made it 2-1 was another critical part of the game for us,” Hay said. “I thought we were good on specialty teams. We were perfect on the penalty kill and we got a couple of powerplay goals. We played a pretty solid all-around game.”

Brule must have accounted for seven or eight of Vancouver 's 32 shots, as the Giants buzzed around Blazers' goalie Devan Dubnyk all night long. Every line was clicking according to Brule, who led the charge with his hat trick plus.

“I usually don't have huge games – I just try to be consistent and get a few points here and there,” said Brule, who ripped his first three from right around the faceoff dots to either side of Dubnyk. “Tonight things went my way and the puck went in for me and I got four goals. We were forechecking hard and checking hard and we all played as a unit and that's why won. All our lines were going pretty well and everyone kept the puck moving and getting it at the net.”

With the win, the Giants move to ten points ahead of the Giants in the B.C. Division standings with a record of 28-25-3-3. The victory also marks a pair of milestones in club history. Firstly, it was the Giants 100th regular season win while it was also the first game in Brule's career where he's scored more than two goals.