PDA

View Full Version : Power to Peter

Tipped Off
10-16-2006, 11:06 AM
Power to Peter
The Silvertips have shown marked improvement in the power play since Peter Mueller returned from an NHL training camp and took over the point.

By Nick Patterson
Herald Writer

EVERETT - Peter Mueller is being asked to reprise a role he played many times in a different setting.

With injuries on defense, the Everett Silvertips turned to their star center to man the point on the power play, and so far the tactic has worked.

"I think since Peter got back it's been a little bit better," Everett coach Kevin Constantine said. "We're a little better bringing the puck up the ice with him bringing it, and I think we'll be OK as the year goes on."

Everett has pedestrian numbers on the power play so far this season. The Silvertips rank 11th in the league in power-play efficiency at 15.3 percent. That's a far cry from last season, when Everett ranked fourth at 19.3 percent.

But since Mueller returned from the Phoenix Coyotes training camp and began manning the point, Everett's power play has been markedly improved. The Tips are 3-for-15 (20 percent) in the two games Mueller's played. Everett was 6-for-44 (13.6 percent) in the previous four, and the Silvertips are spending far more time in the offensive zone.

"I think it's going pretty well," Mueller said about his time at the point. "I'm getting comfortable every day with each practice, and I feel pretty good out there."

It's unusual for forwards to play the point on the power play, mainly because as the last man back the point has a lot of defensive responsibilities. However, this season Everett does not have a defenseman like Shaun Heshka, who had a tremendous combination of puck control and shooting ability, to man the point on the power play. Those skills helped Heshka, who is currently playing for Manitoba of the American Hockey League, finish second in the league in scoring among defensemen last season.

But Mueller is the rare forward who has a wealth of experience playing the point. Though he hasn't played there for Everett, he spent two years in that position for the United States National Team Development Program's U-18 team.

And putting Mueller at the point allows the Silvertips to take advantage of his booming slap shot - he scored his first goal of the season on a slap shot from the point on the power play - and ample playmaking abilities.

"I think there's still some things he has to get better at the point," Constantine said. "Right now he's getting rid of the puck a little early and he's not shooting it, so I think there's a little adjusting to do. But clearly since he got back our ability to bring it end to end is a lot better, and he'll get used to knowing what to do in the offensive zone."

Another bonus from having Mueller play the point is a more efficient utilization of resources. Last season Mueller's job on the power play was to set up at the left circle and serve as the primary playmaker. That's the same role Zach Hamill plays on the power play. As a result, those two were rarely on the ice at the same time during a power play. But with Mueller moving to the point, it allows Everett to put its top two playmakers on the ice at the same time.

Mueller said he doesn't prefer one of the spots to the other, but it does change how he plays on the power play.

"You've got more defensive responsibilities," Mueller explained. "If you cough up the puck you're the one responsible to get back and play those one-on-one situations. But you open up for more one-timers, you kind of run it, and you see everything."

Everett's injury situation on defense is clearing up, meaning the Silvertips could choose to return to having a defenseman at the point. But Constantine indicated a preference for keeping Mueller there.

"Having Peter on the point on the power play will actually distribute ice time amongst our players better than if we had D doing it," Constantine said. "It just gives our D a breather here and there. Those guys log so much ice time in other areas. So I think for the time being we're going to continue to keep Peter back there."

Slap shots: Defensemen Taylor Ellington (groin) and Eric Doyle (concussion), who sat out last weekend's games because of injury, practiced Thursday and appear ready to return. ... The first flu bug of the season has hit the Silvertips, with several players missing time this week because of illness. However, the only player who appears to be a doubt for this weekend because of sickness is right wing Brady Calla, who didn't practice all week. ... Goaltender David Reekie, whom the Silvertips acquired from Regina in a midweek trade, arrived Thursday and joined the team mid-practice. Constantine said that with Everett playing four games in five days, Reekie would probably make his Silvertips debut sometime this weekend.