PDA

View Full Version : showboating Brandon

wrath-of-grapes
10-17-2006, 12:20 PM
It seems to me that nepotism is preventing the Rebels from rising to the top of the WHL.

The games that I have watched, I've concentrated on Brandon Sutter and a couple games watching from the stands could help him.

He's rail thin (I bet my twelve year-old son has more muscle), and he doesn't have the hockey sense to be the quaterback on the pp. He's messed up too many opportunities at the point resulting in this horrible pp percentage. In addition, with his weak frame, most DUB players just steamroll past him without a fight.

He gets big minutes at critical times near the end of the game or on pk. His has no desire because he knows that he will play on the top two lines. Make him sit a couple games to light the fire in his belly.

This showboating is a direct aim to get him drafted in the first round this summer. It could backfire for Brent, if he continues this way for the rest of the season. Maybe his brother will have to draft him out of pity in the second round as a Calgary Flame.

Philz
10-17-2006, 07:57 PM
WOW, must be a Hitmen Fan

SectionNDeserter
10-17-2006, 08:41 PM
He's rail thin (I bet my twelve year-old son has more muscle),The human body is only capable of naturally adding 15-18lbs of LEAN muscle mass per year (and that would be with him doing nothing but weight training). I can only assume that you are encouraging him to use steroids or to just get really fat and out of shape.

and he doesn't have the hockey sense to be the quaterback on the pp. He's messed up too many opportunities at the point resulting in this horrible pp percentage. In addition, with his weak frame, most DUB players just steamroll past him without a fight.Ha ha, been to any games this year? :D ALL teams have a horrible pp percentage when you compare them to previous years, because there are 5 or 6 times as many penalties as any previous year, and the stats are watered down as a result. He keeps the puck in at the line, and moves it around well, and gets the majority of his shots through the defensemen on the powerplay. On top of that, he doesn't give up odd-man rushes that a lot of forwards do when they play on the point. Can't ask too much more from him than that. You will also notice that a LOT of players are steamrolling past all the other players, because if they do anything to stop them from steamrolling past them, they will get a penalty, which makes them a liability to the team. Its the new hockey, walk it off.

This showboating is a direct aim to get him drafted in the first round this summer. It could backfire for Brent, if he continues this way for the rest of the season. Maybe his brother will have to draft him out of pity in the second round as a Calgary Flame.More like he is one of the more gifted TWO-WAY players on the team, and is used on the top two lines, and on the power play/penalty kill because he has tremendous vision. Why wouldn't you play your better players on the top lines and in key positions?

Tidball
10-17-2006, 10:37 PM
As a Blades fan watching him i think he's excellent. Ill keep a close eye on your concerns next time i watch him play.

agent
10-18-2006, 08:42 AM
I've been watching very closely waiting for someone else to bring it up. :D

He is definately being put on a pedistal and is an average player in my opinion.

I think it has been proven that you could place a pylon in front of the net and it would get some bounces for a goal or assist in every game. :bounce:

Not to worry thou ,these things have a way of catching up in the end. :D

Shinyshoes
10-18-2006, 08:59 AM
Thanks SND, I wasnt sure how to reply to this message.

As of right now, the Rebels sit 13th out of 21 teams with a 0.150 PP%
http://whl.ca/stats/statdisplay.php?type=standings&subType=13&season_id=227&&leagueId=26&lastActive=&singleSeason=

Not too bad considering except for Brandon and Kootnay, we are within 5% of EVERY OTHER TEAM in the WHL.

Who would you rather see back on the point on the powerplay?? Who would you rather see on the top 2 lines?

I certainly agree that there may be some players on the team that are producing more offencively, but Brandon is definatly one of the best 2 way players we have on our team.

I think it has been proven that you could place a pylon in front of the net and it would get some bounces for a goal or assist in every game. EVERY game?? are you nuts? maybe 20 pts a season, but not every game. Proven by the fact that Chilliwack, Kelowna, Seattle, and Swift Current All don't even have a SINGLE point per game player on their respective teams. Maybe we should all pitch in and buy them some pylons.

WOW, must be a Hitmen Fan I agree.

WHL Rules
10-18-2006, 11:21 AM
I've been watching very closely waiting for someone else to bring it up. :D

He is definately being put on a pedistal and is an average player in my opinion.

I think it has been proven that you could place a pylon in front of the net and it would get some bounces for a goal or assist in every game. :bounce:

Not to worry thou ,these things have a way of catching up in the end. :D

"You know, not only Tavares but also Sutter, they were two of the best players quite frankly. And I think it bodes well for the future. […] And the Sutter kid, I haven’t had the advantage of seeing him as much as some of the other kids. And you know, I was pleasantly surprised. He had a great tournament, he has a really great future. You know, when he was named as an 89, I gotta be honest, I wasn’t real sure and I questioned in my own mind why this was, but I was certainly proven wrong. He was exceptional during the tournament and played very well and I think helped himself for next years [NHL draft]."

Marc Seidel - ISS Chief Scout, about Brandon and his performance as an underage player at last years U18 WC (Hockey's Future Radio - 04/30/06).

But what does a professional scout know compared to some anonymous poster on a message board. :p

Shinyshoes
10-18-2006, 11:53 AM
Somebody (Who shall remain nameless) brought up a point offline, so I do have to clarify some of what I have said.

Do I think Brandon is one of the best 2 way players on the team, yes.
Do I think he belongs on the top 2 lines? yes.
Am I happy with his play lately? No
Do I think He belongs on the powerplay? Yes.
Do I think He belongs on the point on the powerplay? No, but I have never been a fan of a forward on defence on the PP.

Perhaps a benching or dropping him to the 3rd line for a while would get him back to the player that made me answer yes to the first 2 questions....

Having said All that, Right now, I think our 1st line is well defined, but the next 2 lines are quite interchangeable.... LeBlanc, Moore(Last Game), Pieper, and Vandermeer have all impressed me more lately than either Brandon or Brett.

If I were making lines for tonight, They would look like this:

Hanzel Starkov Moore
Knackstedt Leblanc Pieper
Sutter Sutter Vandermeer
Poulter Betts Mappin

Just my $0.02

tiny
10-18-2006, 02:43 PM
Can't agree with you more about having Brandon up front on the powerplay.
I kind of like the way a couple of D men have played the point recently (even scoring occasionally).

I don't really think benching Brandon would accomplish (anything except maybe giving him a rest). He is the kind to "work" his way out it.

I do think Brandon will be with Hanzall and Starkov tonight to try to ignite Brandon's scoring. He had several good chances last game when playing with them later in the game. Hopefully he can 'finish" some of those set-ups.

You said, "LeBlanc, Moore(Last Game), Pieper, and Vandermeer have all impressed me more lately than either Brandon or Brett." The more ice time these guys get, the better they look to me. Now that the team is all reasonably healthy again, I expect big things especially from these guys.

If I were making lines for tonight, They would look like this:

Hanzel Starkov Sutter
Knackstedt Leblanc Pieper
Moore Sutter Vandermeer
Pighin Betts Mappin

SectionNDeserter
10-18-2006, 05:34 PM
I think LeBlanc has proven that he could hang in the top 2 lines, but I haven't really seen anything out of Pieper this year. Thats not to say his play has been bad, he has been ok defensively, but he has had zero scoring chances. Might not be a bad idea to throw him up on the second line to see if he can improve on his zero points in 9 games, but as a 19 year old in this league, one should have at least gone in off his leg or something by now if he is getting a decent amount of ice time.