PDA

View Full Version : Giants website talk thread

dondo
10-20-2006, 12:11 PM
hey all here's the thread to say what you think might be good changes for the web-site >>> what you currently like and how often you actually use the site for information and recaps etc

for those of you not interested in being part of the discussion feel free to not read this thread, or read it and don't participate. I, for one, believe that it is a valuable tool to understand what the fans use the site for and what they would like to see as a added component.

if this thread has four posts in it and drops off the bottom of the list then we'll see that it really wasn't that important of a thread, or we'll see that posters have a lot to say -- regardless we should have soething to take to the Giants marketing people/brain trust that's from the fans.

Carebear
10-20-2006, 12:20 PM
I mostly just use it to check the schedule. There really isn't much else on there to look at for me personally.

If there were pics I'd probably be all over that because I usually have a Giant or 2 in my screensaver.

Soundy
10-20-2006, 06:26 PM
I mostly just use it to check the schedule. There really isn't much else on there to look at for me personally

Speaking of that, here's something that would be nice... and yes, I'm going to compare to canucks.com again:

Canucks.com has all of the following:
A COMPLETE season schedule in PDF format that can be printed on a single page.
A COMPLETE season schedule in Excel and DBA (database) formats that can be imported into many calendars/organizers.
A COMPLETE season schedule in .CSV format to be imported into Outlook.

Vancouvergiants.com has: a month-by-month schedule that can't be formatted for easy printing, let alone printing or viewing the complete season on one page. I haven't even tried to add any dates beyond the ones I have tickets for into my Outlook/Treo calendars, because it's just too much of a pain to have to sort through month-by-month.

Once again, this is something that needs to be done only once, shouldn't take very long (especially as the calendar is probably already in a MySQL or Postgres database for the dynamically-generated website display), and of course, is free...

GF71
10-21-2006, 01:26 AM
we should have soething to take to the Giants marketing people/brain trust that's from the fans.

Not to rain on your parade, but how do you plan on contacting them and then actually get them to listen to you? Getting to actually have a chat with these people is not as easy as you would think...

Soundy
10-21-2006, 01:35 PM
Not to rain on your parade, but how do you plan on contacting them and then actually get them to listen to you? Getting to actually have a chat with these people is not as easy as you would think...

Maybe he's just curious, since it's come up in other recent discussions?

dondo
10-22-2006, 12:31 AM

why you can do it GF71 :D (you're the one with the in --right?)

actually I think you hit the nail on the head of one of the problems GF71, the inaccessibility of the people who make some of the decisions in marketing and management of the promotion of the team.

In the past you have said they did not want to encourage booster clubs, would not organize bus-trips for fans, etc etc and I think this attitude is what has mired them in their ineptitiude because frankly I don't think they really care about their fans.

but as NWB said ... that now that the hooks of the WJC and the Memorial Cup are gone they might lose STHs to Chilliwack or simply because of lack of incentives. This could become a much larger issue when the built in hockey-generated promotions dry up at the end of the year.

Up 'til now this has been a cake-walk of a team to promote and they have frankly done a very poor job of raising the profile of the franchise in the community. When they have to fight for bodies to put into seats and are competing against what should again be a competitive Canucks squad they might be in for some lean years (STH -wise) unless some changes are made.

Swando
10-22-2006, 01:08 AM
why you can do it GF71 :D (you're the one with the in --right?)

actually I think you hit the nail on the head of one of the problems GF71, the inaccessibility of the people who make some of the decisions in marketing and management of the promotion of the team.

In the past you have said they did not want to encourage booster clubs, would not organize bus-trips for fans, etc etc and I think this attitude is what has mired them in their ineptitiude because frankly I don't think they really care about their fans.

but as NWB said ... that now that the hooks of the WJC and the Memorial Cup are gone they might lose STHs to Chilliwack or simply because of lack of incentives. This could become a much larger issue when the built in hockey-generated promotions dry up at the end of the year.

Up 'til now this has been a cake-walk of a team to promote and they have frankly done a very poor job of raising the profile of the franchise in the community. When they have to fight for bodies to put into seats and are competing against what should again be a competitive Canucks squad they might be in for some lean years (STH -wise) unless some changes are made.

All comments I have read are valid: Here is my say.

I use the Web Site to see if I have missed anything on the WHL site. I find the Giantssite rather hard to navigate thru and it's frankly not as good as other teams.

In regards to STH complaints I can see complaciency occuring on the Giants part and here is a perk that they missed out on. Last year they had "Garaunteed Win Nights" where you could redeem (with a $5 sports action bet) your ticket for a general admission ticket. I used every one to give away to help promote the Giants. There were 6 seats behind me that I found out the Giants owned and they were NEVER used so I brought friends and had them sit there!! Now they have bought ST for this year!!
If the Giants were afraid they would win to "often" this year then open up the upper bowl if this happens!! I can see this Gauranteed Win night might be complicated but thot I'd through it out--may a new thread would have been better

Carebear
11-01-2006, 09:13 PM
Have they been reading us again???

Or were those wallpapers always under the "Fanzone" section and I just never noticed before?

Franson6
11-01-2006, 09:17 PM
They've always been there, as far as I've noticed.

Carebear
11-01-2006, 09:34 PM
They've always been there, as far as I've noticed.

OH..nevermind then.
Apparently I don't notice things easily.