PDA

View Full Version : Goalies

grainbear
10-21-2006, 05:35 PM
I would not be surprised if all of a sudden we see another goalie in practises next week. Huston has definitely struggled in his last two appearances and you might see a little competion to have him and Leclerc turn up the performance. As stated earlier , overall they have both been average and while this team matures so that they learn the intangiables that help them win most nights we need more then average goaltending we need steller goaltending like Leclerc has provided in the past.

loudi94
10-21-2006, 10:00 PM
Didn't get it tonight that's for sure. 11 goals and Leclerc wasn't pulled

Fight Guy
10-21-2006, 10:42 PM
Didn't get it tonight that's for sure. 11 goals and Leclerc wasn't pulled
Wasnt exactly his fault. Pats got 7 PP goals tonight. That sounds more like the team is too undisciplined. The goalie himself didnt play that bad at all. He didnt get much help from everyone else.

taylor0017
10-22-2006, 10:34 AM
I think that we ned to bring in a goalie that has some experience in the WHL. Deckert from Regina is available. We have a 20 year old spot. give it a try. At that point I would also drop Wrenka and pick up Pess. Pess can score , we know what he can do. Wrenka is not all that good. As far as coaching goes , Maybe Dyck is not motivating the players. They seem to go in spurts and then take really stupid penalties. The Canes should not be taking penalties with the new rules. Just my thoughts and I know some people will disagree.......oh well

loudi94
10-22-2006, 10:44 AM
I think that we ned to bring in a goalie that has some experience in the WHL. Deckert from Regina is available. We have a 20 year old spot. give it a try. At that point I would also drop Wrenka and pick up Pess. Pess can score , we know what he can do. Wrenka is not all that good. As far as coaching goes , Maybe Dyck is not motivating the players. They seem to go in spurts and then take really stupid penalties. The Canes should not be taking penalties with the new rules. Just my thoughts and I know some people will disagree.......oh well

I agree we need a leader in between the pipes to settle down the young guys. Maybe trade that first rounder back to Tri-Cities for Price ;)

The penalty problem has been discussed in other threads. It has to be addressed by the coaching staff. It's out of control.

LHF
10-22-2006, 11:09 AM
We certainly don't need another goalie. Leclerc and Huston are both young and need more experience. How are they going to get that experience if they bring in another goalie to take time from them. I've heard from people that were at the games on there east trip that the goalie's played well.

I do however agree about the penalty problem. The guys need to learn how to stay out of the box. They would find they have alot more energy if they're not playing short handed for half the game.

And yeah, bring Pess back, he was a good leader in the dressing room, and a talented player on the ice.

loudi94
10-22-2006, 11:22 AM
We certainly don't need another goalie. Leclerc and Huston are both young and need more experience. How are they going to get that experience if they bring in another goalie to take time from them. I've heard from people that were at the games on there east trip that the goalie's played well.

With such a young team in fron t of them, the goalies need to be a stabilizing force. Take the game against Brandon when the Canes were up 4-0. That's a situation where an experienced keeper might have been able to take the bull by the horns and settle things. Maybe not, but at this point, this team needs more than what it's getting from the keepers if they are to win games. You need some older guys that the youngsters can learn from. Maybe the Canes don't have enough of them.

Dwight Schrute
10-22-2006, 11:31 AM
deckert would be great for you guys, he would provide competition for leclerc and also give the team a veteran presence in net. we got 2 really good young goalies here (aime and esau) and need to develop them

Fight Guy
10-22-2006, 02:15 PM
Just a side note...Deckert from Regina? He has been on 2 (or is it 3) teams since the Pats...lol.

patsdude114
10-22-2006, 08:21 PM
Take the game against Brandon when the Canes were up 4-0. That's a situation where an experienced keeper might have been able to take the bull by the horns and settle things

1st off the canes never lead in the game against the wheat kings as the wheaties scored the 1st 2 goals then the canes tied it up at 2-2 and that was the end of the canes, as after the 1st period the score was 5-2

loudi94
10-22-2006, 09:32 PM
1st off the canes never lead in the game against the wheat kings as the wheaties scored the 1st 2 goals then the canes tied it up at 2-2 and that was the end of the canes, as after the 1st period the score was 5-2

I was there and saw the horror show develop right in front of my eyes. I really do wish I was wrong.

http://whl.ca/stats/game-summary.php?game_id=1001976

nivek_wahs
10-23-2006, 03:16 AM
Wasnt exactly his fault. Pats got 7 PP goals tonight. That sounds more like the team is too undisciplined. The goalie himself didnt play that bad at all. He didnt get much help from everyone else.It definitely wasn't Leclerc's fault, he played really good... but leaving him in for ALL 11 talk about destroying a players confidence. I really don't think he deserved that at all.

I don't know if another goalie is necessary in Lethbridge (maybe a back-up, as I haven't seen Huston so I can't really comment). Leclerc is a very capable goalie but the team infront of him was not playing very good. After they got the 3-2 lead they seemed to take their foot off the pedal and go into a coast mode and the Pats took advantage. Once the 3rd started the Hurricanes basically folded their tent and gave up. They showed little emotion (if any). They stopped hitting and left Leclerc to basically fend for himself on many occasions. He made a few big stops (probably 4 or 5), or the score could have been worse.

Don't write Leclerc off... He's good.

LHF
10-23-2006, 09:11 AM
Sounds to me like the coaching is suspect in the loses. The Canes are getting out-played and out-coached. And aside from the guys being tired from having to play too many games in too short a time, a more experienced coach might have tried a little harder to settle things down when the guys are struggling and shutting down. They should never become complacent when they are only up by 1 goal or worse, tied with a strong team. They don't seem to have the ability to go for the kill when they have the upper hand. And to me that all comes down to coaching.

There is nothing wrong with our situation in net, :spineyes: Leclerc and Huston are up to the task. It's the guys in front of them that need to be more disiplined, and play like we all know they can. No more inconsistencies, and that all comes down to the coaching. It's up to the coaches to teach them that. IMO... :p

Jake
10-23-2006, 09:15 PM

He was referring to the game in Lethbridge earlier this month when the Wheaties were in town.

witness
10-24-2006, 10:16 AM
I can only refer to the game against the Pats. There was about three goals that I thought that Leclerc should have had. But it was at a point that it didn't matter, the game was already gone. The thing that really surprised me is that the coach didn't change goalies. There maybe a reason that I don't know about, but to leave a young goaltender in for 11 goals against, it can't be good for your confidence.

It was the lack of team discipline that killed them. Which is really surprising because the team pretty much skated around like they didn't care. That is what the fans should be worried about.

KBF
10-24-2006, 10:57 AM
Theres talk that Michael Maniago will be dealt to the Canes today.

SeventhHeaven4U
10-24-2006, 11:55 AM
The trade is true, here is the jist of it off of the Canes Site:

Lethbridge, AB – Lethbridge Hurricanes General Manager Roy Stasiuk announced a trade this morning with the Kamloops Blazers.

The ‘Canes acquired the 18-year-old goaltender, Michael Maniago, and the 7th round pick in the 2008 WHL Bantam Draft, originally used to acquire Adam Chorneyko, for a 3rd round pick in the 2008 WHL Bantam Draft.

taylor0017
10-24-2006, 12:04 PM
So with 3 goalies ...who goes and who stays? Bigger Trade coming up? What is the scoop with Maniago? good ? bad? Did we waste another draft pick on him???

KBF
10-24-2006, 12:12 PM
Played excellent in Dubnyk's WJC absense last year, was given the starting job this year and never ran with it. He's a good kid with talent and good genes with Caesar Maniago as his cousin, and if he can get his confidence back than I think he'll be a very nice addition to the Canes roster.

grainbear
10-24-2006, 05:04 PM
Like I said to start this post . Don,t be surprised , well here it is ,another goalie ? Why , to motivate the youngsters to elevate there games neither Leclerc or Huston have been bad . But every so ofter you need to have a goalie win the game for you by standing on their head. This should help all three push to get the starting role.

SeventhHeaven4U
10-24-2006, 09:15 PM
I don't think Huston is part of the picture at this point, as the article states that Maniago & LeClerc will be the ones vying for starting position. Huston will do well to get another season under his belt before attempting to oust these two next year.

loudi94
10-24-2006, 10:01 PM
So with three goalies in the mix, what happens to Gunderson? Might as well move him so he can get a chance elsewhere.

patsdude114
10-25-2006, 07:33 PM
I was there and saw the horror show develop right in front of my eyes. I really do wish I was wrong.

http://whl.ca/stats/game-summary.php?game_id=1001976

oh i thought u meant in the game where the canes lost 9-5 in brandon my bad

loudi94
10-25-2006, 10:20 PM
oh i thought u meant in the game where the canes lost 9-5 in brandon my bad
I'm not sure I could have sat through that debacle. I barely was able to sit through tonight's game with Calgary.

I noticed something, maybe it's nothing because I wasn't watching after the first Canes goal, the players didn't bother going to tap Leclerc's pads after the 2nd and 3rd goals. Is it just a matter of minimal celebration when down, or is there a problem?

LHF
10-26-2006, 11:36 AM
I didn't notice that happened with Leclerc, but I remember when Maxi was coaching, and the players never went to tap the goalie after a goal, and I asked one of the players why, he said because Maxi told them not to...? Not sure why he told them that, but I wonder if a little of Maxi's coaching style is rubbing off on Dyck.

WorkHorse
10-26-2006, 03:06 PM
So with three goalies in the mix, what happens to Gunderson? Might as well move him so he can get a chance elsewhere.

Where is Gunderson playing now? I don't see him on Lethbridge's Midget AAA Team?