PDA

View Full Version : Blades 1 @ Giants 2 Oct 21st

Beaner
10-21-2006, 11:41 PM
Unlike last nights game, tonights game was, for the most part a very boring frustrating game to watch. Neither team played particulary well, and trying to get a shot onto either net net was next to impossible as both teams blocked a tonne of shots. Giants did manage to generate more shots late int he second and the third but the Blades blocked a lot especially on the PK.

The third period was a little better once the game was tied up as both teams opened up a little bit more to generate more offense with the Giants coming out on top in the end.

NOTES
Slade and Holtby got the starts
Kraus (Flu), Flatters and Dulle were the Giants scratches.
Shots 36-22 Giants.
PP Blades 1/8 Giants 0/9

GOALS

1. SAS Gillies, (1) (Konecny, Menei), 11:08 (PP) 5-4, and Gillies gets a pass from the corner at the dot, and he wires a shot off the iron past a screened Slade. Screen provided by Franson...
3. VAN Machacek, (3) (Mikkelson, Franson), 1:00 After some great work to keep the puck int he offensive zone, the puck goes around the horn to Mikkelson who fires in a wrister that Machacek deflects right in front of Holtby.
3. VAN Lucic, (3) (Machacek, Franson), 13:35More good work to keep the puck int he Blades zone and this time fromt he corner Machacek feeds Lucic all alone at the face off dot and he beats Holtby high.

FISTICUFFS
Watt vs Cloud

After a scrum in the Blades zone, with Watt holding onto Cloud, Watt finally decides to go with Cloud and he unleashes an old fashioned butt whopping on Cloud. Gets Clouds Helmet off and unloads more than few good shots in a fight that semed to go on for almost 3 full minutes. Cloud may have got a couple shots in but nothing compared to Watt. Watt continued to Taunt Cloud int he box after the fight. Both got 2 for roughing and 5 for fighting. WIN WATT.

OFFICIATING
MacIsaac tonight and he was terrible. His new nickname from me is "the Phantom". As in phantom call. Brutal calls both ways that left moe than a few fans, players and coaches just scratching their heads wondering what the heck he was doing.

OVERALL
The game was boring tonight. That's the long and the short of it. Blades are very good at collapsing in front of their own net to block shots and have good team speed. Being a young team, I would have to say the future looks good for the Blades.

Nice move by the Blades coach to call a time out after the Giants first goal in the third to calm down the troops. Blades came back and put some pressure on, but it wasnt quite enough.

Giants tonight looked a bit lost and the PP was brutal tonight without Kraus in the lineup. This game tonight really showed how important Kraus is to the teams success on the PP as he really is the guy who controls the puck and sets everything up.

Both goalies played well, but neither was really tested untilt he third, and both made some nice saves.

3 STARS
1. VAN - 15 Spencer Machacek
2. SAS - 18 Colton Gillies
3. VAN - 21 Brett Festerling

old_time_hockey
10-21-2006, 11:58 PM
Yes, that was a pretty boring game until the 3rd.

The Giants didn't seem to have the same amount of "nose for the puck" tonight. In the 1st there were a few nice chances right in the slot that either the Giants players didn't get their sticks on or just got beat to.

Most of the penalties were BS. Nothing screws up a game more than a poor ref. How could you even think of calling Blum for interferance on the goalie? He was pushed back into him.

I hope the Giants come out a little more interested on Wednesday against the Wheaties. That is one offensivly dangerous team.

but totally ungame related...those are some pretty snazzy unis the Blades have. First time that I have seen them in person.

Beaner
10-22-2006, 12:02 AM
but totally ungame related...those are some pretty snazzy unis the Blades have. First time that I have seen them in person.

Yeah I like the Blades uniforms, but the Number on the front of the jersey in the lower corner was a little weird. I am trying to think of any other jersey that has that feature, but I cant think of one.

GF71
10-22-2006, 12:03 AM
This game was a DOG, plain and simple. The Ref was BRUTAL both ways. Gillies was impressive for the Blades though. He slid face first into the boards in the third...not sure if he came back or not, but seemed ok?? For the Giants, the best players were Machacek, Reese, Blum and Regner. Others had moments, but nobody else really impressed me. They REALLY missed Kraus, especially on the power play. Hopefully he is over his bug for the next game. Despite the comeback, it was a very disjointed effort at best. Still haven't been beated out right, so that counts for something. The turning point in the Giants though was the Watt scrap. The kid from 'toon hung in there and got a coupel of shots in but JD pretty much pounded the crap out of him. The beaking in the box looked pretty funny. And I agree... the Blades sweaters are pretty sharp. Next victim: Brandon

dondo
10-22-2006, 12:07 AM
a nail-biter of a game and I don't know if the ole ticker can take many more of those. As Beaner said the reffing was awful and the "Phantom" handle is very apt. I thought the Blades played a better game over-all but both teams were good at clearing the front of their nets and blocking shots.

there was some fun in our end of the rink as the Go Giants Go guys brought some uniqueness to some of their chants and a couple of game yet decent horn-blowers (not my favorite item but w/e these guys knew when to blow their horns and when not to -- unlike a few cowbells I recall :p - lol - ) and they followed the Go Giants Go guys lead whether they started slow and soft or ramped it up, these guys went with it. I was also a decent distance away from both of them so maybe those of us here who were closer might have had other feelings about the whole thing. I just found it interesting to hear the fun and complexity of a simple chant.

here's my take on the game -

Giants Nick Blades
Vancouver 2 Saskatoon 1

The Giants simply did not show up for the first period. They were outworked and out-played, and out-skated. They lost all the puck battles along the boards and were virtually incapable of completing a clean pass. Their PP stunk and they did not chase down the dump-ins or keep the puck in at the point. The Blades on the other hand showed youthful enthusiasm and played a patient game which coughed up pucks all over the ice. Saskatoon has one of the youngest teams in the league and although they carry their full complement of 20yr olds they have no 19 yr olds in their line-up. They also have two possible first round NHL draft picks in 17 yr old Colton Gillies, and 18yr old Justin McRae.

The Blades opened the scoring after weathering a few PPs and then getting a couple of their own, they managed to get one by Dustin Slade on the man-advantage at 11:08 of the first. The reffing was bizarre as he seemed to ignore the blatant and call the invisible most of the evening. The Giants got a bit tied up behind their own net when Slade and Cody Franson were unsure who was going to play the puck. The loose biscuit found its way onto Gillies stick and he drifted unmolested into the sweet spot of the left face-off dot, with lots of traffic and snapped a beauty off the post, the crossbar and in behind Slade who never saw the shot. The Giants continued their scrambly play throughout the period garnering 9 shots to the Blades 7, but the it was the Saskatoon squad which was up by the goal when the horn blew on the first stanza and they deserved to be.

The G-Men played a bit better in the second but continued to have difficulty handling the puck and the Blades seemed to sense that tentative quality and pressed the puck handlers every time the Giants got the disc on their sticks. Blades goalie Braden Holtby, was also very good turning away any pucks which came his way and smothering second chances for the G-Men. Slade had to be good and was almost unlike himself making Hasek-like swim moves to keep the puck away from his twine. The energy of the game turned on a knock down, drag-out battle royale between JD Watt and smaller but feisty Chris Cloud mid-way through the second. Watt and Cloud squared off and JD had the upper hand for the majority of the fight, but Cloud never went down and managed a few late licks, but as far as the crowd was concerned it was all Watt and the energy in the building was electrified. Holtby had to be good late in the second as the Giants began to press the attack, but two late period penalties against seemed to dampen their momentum a bit.

The Giants began the third down by two men for a very brief 5 seconds and then killed off the remainder of the 5 on 4 and had the crowd back in the game. The very next shift the Giants pressed hard, the way they are capable, for the first time in the game it seemed, in the Blades end of the ice. Hay double shifted Watt, Milan Lucic and Spencer Machacek riding their momentum and it paid off. The Giants maintained puck possession and the puck went from Franson to Brendan Mikkelson at the point. Mikkelson wired a puck toward the net and Machacek deflected the puck between the wickets on Holtby standing in the paint, 60 seconds into the third. The crowd went wild and the Giants felt the ice tilt. Not without their scares at the other end of the ice, but the Giants played a much better game in the offensive end of the ice. The ice broke at 13:35 of that period when Franson fed the puck behind the net to Machacek. Machacek did what he did best and fought off a few checks and found Lucic in the high slot for the one-timer. The red-light was on before Holtby knew the puck was past him and the Giants were up by one. The end of the game was frenetic as Slade had to become the acrobat yet again to work his mojo and keep the puck out of his net. The Giants pressed but Holtby stood tall. The chances went back and forth, but in the end even after pulling their the goalie the Blades just could not get another one past the Vancouver netminder and dropped a nail-biter to the home team, who established a new franchise record with their 8th straight win at home.

The young Blades played a very solid game and for awhile there it felt as if they were going to steal one from the Coliseum, but it was nice to see the real Giants team finally show up and get the W. Part of me thinks that although games like this are a learning opportunity, we might have learned the harder lesson had we dropped the tilt to the Blades this evening. That lesson being that they must play the full 60 minutes if they want to ensure themselves of victory.

The Giants were 0 for 9, on the PP while allowing 1 for 8 from the opposition. The shots at the end were 36-22 in favour of the home squad. The Giants established a new franchise record for consecutive home wins with 8 and counting. Up next they face the blazing hot Brandon Wheat Kings who have put together an admirable winning streak losing only one of their last six and that one in OT, and trailing the Giants by only two goals in the Goals For (GF) category. Tyson Sexsmith will get the start as Hay continues to alternate his goalies game to game. The game is on Wednesday ( the only Wednesday game of the entire home schedule this year) October 25th, 2006. Puck drops at 7pm and this is one to see folks so get those tickets soon as it could be a barn-burner.

Three Stars

1 – Spencer Machacek
2 – Colton Gillies
3 – Brett Festerling

Swando
10-22-2006, 12:50 AM
When I attend a game like tonight....I am first of all glad we won!! In games such as these I like to critic a few of our players and tonight as I often do I chose Blum and Mikkelson. If you ever decide to watch Blum for a full game you'll see very few if" any" mistakes. He is one solid D man and I can see the scouts drooling. If his dad is a "big" man in stature it'll even make him go higher in the draft. Seldom does he make the "easy" play to dump the puck for fear of loosing it instead he'll make the play that benefits the team and makes a pass where it's either out of danger or easier to handle as a forward.
This player my fellow Giant fans is a treat to watch and will only get better. The radio boys seem to love Mikellson but I think he has really struggled this year. I hope I'm not comparing him to Albers But he has not been aggressive, has not been overly productive on the PP and in general I think he has under achieved so far. His skating which is a thing to behold has saved him many times from his errors. I realize he had recovered from a major knee injury and lost a full year But I think the Giants will NOT be losing him to the World Juniors this year

Soundy
10-22-2006, 01:26 AM
Yeah, not the most exciting game, for the most part, until the Cloud/Watt fight got people fired up a bit.

The fans around us were somewhat more interesting... like the guy down at the bottom of Sec. R in the Red Wings jersey trying to get a "wave" started... and the guys at the bottom of P chanting "RED WINGS SUCK" every time he stood up, until he finally peeled the jersey off and jokingly pretended he was ready to fight them ;) Then there were the guys up behind me in Q, chanting "GO TOIGO GO" every time #25 was on the ice. And of course, we had the "HOOOOOLT-beeeee" catcalls at both ends of the rink :)

Only downside was the guy sitting right behind me whining ENDLESSLY about the play of BOTH teams, especially the Giants, and the WHL in general. Dude, if you hate it that much, why are you even AT the game??

Anyway, got a few pics up online...
http://picasaweb.google.com/soundy106/21Oct06GiantsVsSaskatoonBlades

Knuckles Muldoon
10-22-2006, 11:36 AM
Not a great game, but an excellent win. When you can win a game where you are not very sharp, its a good sign. I thought the Blades played pretty well. They move the puck out of their own end very well, but they don't have much finish up front. The Giants were fighting the puck all night long. Have Kraus out really hurt the PP. Tim is the best passer out there and understands spacing and angles. The PP without him was, quite bluntly, a mess. I thought the guy who made all the difference (again) was Lucic. HE had another good game and when he moves his feet, is a tough guy to stop. His work on the Giants first goal can't be overlooked. He went to the net, picked up the puck from a scrum at the side of the net, secured possession, circled in the corner and fed it back to Franson. As well, he threw a number of big hits. Machacek also played his best game of the season and finally looked like the player I remember from last year. Another strong game for the Blum/Fester combo, another disjointed game for the Franson/Mikk duo. Slade was sharp again. The Giants are getting brilliant goaltending every game these days. Slade and Sexy seem to be pushing each other and its paying off. I agree Watt's scrap was the emotional turning point, but other than that, I thought he had a poor game. The boys have simply got ot be better on Wednesday against Brandon. It shapes up to be a great game.

Kassian
10-22-2006, 04:05 PM
I pretty much agree with everyone else. Not the most entertaining game to say the least but we came out with the two points and that's what's most important. The Cloud and Watt fight was definitely the turning point. The crowd was pretty dead up until that point and it seemed like the players had more jump after that. It was also nice to see Watt get into his first fight of the season. Took him long enough. :thumb:

Unfortunately for me I was stuck behind some guy ranting about hockey saying how fighting is stupid and has no place in the game. Then of course he made himself sound like even more of an idiot complaining about a few of the penalties called in last nights game wouldn't have been called in the NHL. I could only scratch my head. A roughing minor in the WHL is more likely to be a double roughing penalty in the NHL. Either way it took a lot of effort to keep my mouth shut. I wanted to whack him upside his head. :spineyes:

Soundy
10-22-2006, 04:36 PM
Unfortunately for me I was stuck behind some guy ranting about hockey saying how fighting is stupid and has no place in the game. Then of course he made himself sound like even more of an idiot complaining about a few of the penalties called in last nights game wouldn't have been called in the NHL. I could only scratch my head. A roughing minor in the WHL is more likely to be a double roughing penalty in the NHL. Either way it took a lot of effort to keep my mouth shut. I wanted to whack him upside his head. :spineyes:

You must been sitting right behind the loudmouth who was sitting behind me. You in Sec. Q? :dead:

old_time_hockey
10-22-2006, 04:53 PM
Wow...after listening to a few people in this thread and what they have to put up with, I'm uber glad I am surrounded by STHs on all sides.

But big props to the guys down towards the bottom of sec. c on the isle with those plastic trumpets. They must actually play a real brass instrument because they LOUD!

Soundy
10-22-2006, 05:08 PM
Yeah, ya know, it's frustrating enough to sit at an NHL game and look at all the empty club seats, or those occupied by some suits who spend the whole time yakking at each other or on their phones, because they're only there in their $300 seats as a business thing... but even more amazing to have people at a junior game ****** and moan about the game through the whole thing... it's like, WHY are you even HERE? You're not here entertaining business clients - that's what major-league sports are for. You're apparently not here because you expect to see an exciting hockey game... why do you even bother, and why do you insist on making it a bad experience for everyone around you???

Knuckles Muldoon
10-22-2006, 05:29 PM
Wow...after listening to a few people in this thread and what they have to put up with, I'm uber glad I am surrounded by STHs on all sides.

But big props to the guys down towards the bottom of sec. c on the isle with those plastic trumpets. They must actually play a real brass instrument because they LOUD!
Ask langdak. They sit directly in front of him. His opinion may not be so kind.

Kassian
10-22-2006, 05:52 PM
You must been sitting right behind the loudmouth who was sitting behind me. You in Sec. Q? :dead:

Nope. I sit up top usually to get away from those types of people. Unfortunately some games they seem to follow me. :dead:

langdak
10-22-2006, 11:23 PM
Ask langdak. They sit directly in front of him. His opinion may not be so kind.

We actually sit in the row right behind where they were, i couldnt handle a whole season of that, but from time to time its alright.

At least it was better then the constant F bombs being dropped by the clowns sitting 2 rows behind us for the first period, thank god they decided to move.

old_time_hockey
10-22-2006, 11:39 PM
Well that wasn't me with the F bombs. I'm a few rows up from there.

I did however have a few choice words for the ref after that penalty to Blum for goalie interferance. Stupid crack smoking ___________!!!!!!! :burningma

TheBrass
10-23-2006, 10:14 AM
Well that wasn't me with the F bombs. I'm a few rows up from there.

I did however have a few choice words for the ref after that penalty to Blum for goalie interferance. Stupid crack smoking ___________!!!!!!! :burningma

Difference is, OTH, you know what you're talking about when you decide to unleash.

Come down and say hello one night, langdak and I are in row 4.

dj-kris
10-23-2006, 10:23 PM
Question about Saturdays game I heard it was a country western night what did they do to make it country western? Was it music or promo's maybe prizes? Just curious I had to do one of those last year and every song had to be country warm-up, goal songs everything but that was the extent of the theme not much else was done. Most people didn’t know why it was all country and complained to me I had to let them in on it after the game.

Swando
10-23-2006, 10:32 PM
Question about Saturdays game I heard it was a country western night what did they do to make it country western? Was it music or promo's maybe prizes? Just curious I had to do one of those last year and every song had to be country warm-up, goal songs everything but that was the extent of the theme not much else was done. Most people didn’t know why it was all country and complained to me I had to let them in on it after the game.

As STH's they inform us of up coming "special" nights on our ticket package they give us a the beginning of the season. As most everyone I forgot to look at the back side of of ticket package to remember.....If it was important I would hav thot a " friendly" reminder over the Public Announcing system the previous game would have been in order BUT no it was over looked or thot not imporant..... a thing the GIANTS might work on...

I know they pump the Teddy Bear toss night and all things being equal they should announce up coming events with the same zeal so every one can participate. They did have a great band playing on the W side during the 1st intermisson though!

GF71
10-23-2006, 10:34 PM
Well... all the music during the game was country. The cheer leaders were wearing cowboy hats. Lots of urban cowboys in the crowd haha. They had a poker contest with prizes being a trip to Dallas and tix to Merritt. Hey...it was better than yet another bad blazer night. Are they having those in the 'wack yet? lol they will...every team tries it at least once. The warm up music was/is always about throwing the horns and putting your foot up on a monitor to bang your head...it is all about the 80's metal then lol. Honestly it was yet another lame event night put on by the Giants. The event night they put on leave LOTS to be desired.

Carebear
10-23-2006, 10:46 PM
I can't WAIT for Teddy Bear Toss night!!!! :clap:

Nov 18th is "Coliseum Captains" night.

GF71
10-23-2006, 10:53 PM
Nov 18th is "Coliseum Captains" night.

Which will be yet another gong show where most people walk away un-happy.
:rolleyes:

dj-kris
10-24-2006, 02:00 AM
:rolleyes:i liked the new west bruins night a couple years ago

old_time_hockey
10-24-2006, 09:50 AM
That was pretty cool.

Hunt24
10-24-2006, 01:43 PM
:rolleyes:

Bitter much? :groovy: J/K

The only reason I'll be disappointed is because it will be another night where we pay tribute to the almighty Canucks franchise and their whopping zero championships.

So, Coliseum Captains night will probably consist of the following guests:

Stan Smyl
Orland Kurtenbach
Don Lever
Doug Lidster

Plus an endless number of Alternate Captains. (Sweet, does this mean that maybe, just maybe Dana Murzyn will be back?)

Leaving out the following Coliseum Captains who all have playing committments around that time:

Nick Marach (UNB)
Tyson Marsh (Toronto Marlies)
Triston Grant (Philadelphia Flyers/Phantoms)
Mark Fistric (Iowa Stars)
Gilbert Brule (Columbus Blue Jackets)

Now tell me, which group should the Giants be honoring?

dondo
10-24-2006, 05:07 PM
You missed Trevor Linden :p lol

hey H24 its all part of the history of the building. You guys are a bit too sensitive with regard to the Canucks being mentioned in Coliseum promos, it sems to me.

We all know that the Giants are better hockey to watch, but the Canucks have a history with the buidling that's just as valid -- and from a marketing point of view more marketable to get bums into seats.

It's easier to use the Canucks hook to get possible new fans to watch the Giants than to use the Giants hooks to do that for people who aren't aware how good the WHL game and the team really are.

GF71
10-24-2006, 05:21 PM
Bitter much? :groovy: J/K

The only reason I'll be disappointed is because it will be another night where we pay tribute to the almighty Canucks franchise and their whopping zero championships.

So, Coliseum Captains night will probably consist of the following guests:

Stan Smyl
Orland Kurtenbach
Don Lever
Doug Lidster

Plus an endless number of Alternate Captains. (Sweet, does this mean that maybe, just maybe Dana Murzyn will be back?)

Leaving out the following Coliseum Captains who all have playing committments around that time:

Nick Marach (UNB)
Tyson Marsh (Toronto Marlies)
Triston Grant (Philadelphia Flyers/Phantoms)
Mark Fistric (Iowa Stars)
Gilbert Brule (Columbus Blue Jackets)

Now tell me, which group should the Giants be honoring?

Linden is supposed to be there. :skeptical

Anyway..not really bitter but ever since they started doing the Bruins and Canucks events every year i have heard more than a few people complain bitterly...THey stand in lne from about the 10 min mark of the first period and half the time they do not get the autographs that they want. Or they spread the vets through out the concourse to avoid heavy duty congestion and people only get the autographs of a couple of players...but the time they are done with their line-up they shuffle the vets away. That or somebody brings a jersey/goalie mask/or whatever to get signed and the security refuse to let them take it into the line up with them. The idea(s) are good, but the execution of them is very poor. They do accopmlish what they set out to do though which is get an extra 3-4 K in the building.

dj-kris
10-24-2006, 09:22 PM
i totally played banana phone tonight during a on ice event

C.F
10-24-2006, 11:55 PM
i liked the new west bruins night a couple years ago
That was probably the best promo the Giants have ever done. The flying chicken alone made it well worth it. ;)

dondo
10-25-2006, 11:23 AM
i totally played banana phone tonight during a on ice event

that'll make CB happy and they won so you might have to play it again. :thumb: