PDA

View Full Version : Grant Gets the Call

old_time_hockey
10-24-2006, 09:48 AM
"Phantoms enforcer Triston Grant has been recalled by the Flyers. It's his first call-up to the NHL for Grant, who collected 190 PIM in 64 games as a rookie with the Phantoms last year. Grant's first potential opportunity to make his NHL debut would come this Thursday when the Flyers host Atlanta."

Right on!! Go kick some butt Tristan!!!! :thumb:

Kassian
10-24-2006, 11:24 AM
Just saw this earlier today. Great news. Now there's an actual reason to watch the Flyers. :thumb:

dondo
10-24-2006, 01:05 PM
excellent - go Triston!

Hunt24
10-24-2006, 01:44 PM
Should Triston get into a game he'll be the fifth ex-Giants in the NHL this year.

GF71
10-24-2006, 01:45 PM
Awesomme!!! I will be listening to the game for sure. :D

Kristi
10-24-2006, 02:53 PM
Amazing!!!!!!!!!! But he definately has earned it!

Congrats! I'll be TIVOing the game! :)

Beaner
10-24-2006, 06:48 PM
Congrats Triston, show them what you got.

Knuckles Muldoon
10-25-2006, 12:34 AM
Very surprised indeed. I hope he's able to get in there and get some hits in.

Jimmy
10-25-2006, 11:17 PM
Show'em what you got, big guy

Hunt24
10-26-2006, 12:29 AM
What A Difference Two Weeks Makes

Grant Goes From Hometown To NHL

Two weeks ago, when the Phantoms went to Winnipeg for a weekend to play the Manitoba Moose, it was a trip that figured to be the highlight of Triston Grant’s month. Grant is from Neepawa, Manitoba, a town of 3300 people that is a 187-kilometer ride up the Yellowhead Highway from Winnipeg. Many family and friends turned out to see Grant play in the games that weekend.

Grant will bring his tough play to the NHL.
But earlier this week, Grant’s high moment for the month was completely eclipsed, and now his parents are making a much longer journey to see him play. Grant was called up by the Flyers on Tuesday, and could make his NHL debut when the Flyers host the Atlanta Thrashers on Thursday at the Wachovia Center.

“I came to the rink [on Tuesday] and got pulled aside and Paul Holmgren just said I was going to get a chance to go up and show what I’ve got,” Grant said after Wednesday’s practice. “I definitely was expecting myself to go up sometime this year if I played well, but not this early. The injuries right now with [Boyd] Kane and [Riley] Cote, I think I was just next in line. It was a big break for me, and I’ve just got to use it.”

The call-up came at a good time for Grant, since he’s had a few extra days to get used to being in the NHL.

“[Tuesday] I was kind of shell-shocked a little bit,” he said. “It’s finally starting to come together now. I’m just really excited, so I’ve just got to stay focused and not get too far ahead of myself, just work hard while I’m up here. The longer I work the better I’ll play, and hopefully the longer I’ll be up.”

It’s no secret that Grant was called up to the Flyers because of his physical play. Grant was a rookie with the Phantoms last season. He spent the year working on the technical aspects of his game, as well as his role as a pugilist.

“My confidence level is a lot higher,” Grant said. “I feel much more comfortable out there, like I’m able to do things that I do well with the puck and I’m not afraid to make mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes, but I kept working hard and stayed in shape. Every day, my game becomes more complete. If I just keep doing the small things and pay attention to detail, I think I could be a good player.”

As for the fighting side of his game, Grant has had perhaps one of the best tutors available in new Flyers assistant coach Craig Berube, who ranks seventh all-time in NHL history in the penalty minute category. As an assistant coach last year and the head coach for the first six games of this season, Berube was able to work with Grant on the finer points of the hockey fight.

“He’s shown me little things like details, I guess,” Grant said. “Keeping your head up and being strong, just little things. I’ve learned that there’s different styles of fighting. There’s always a trick or two. The thing I realized is that you’re fighting against men now. You’ve got to be a little bit smarter and learn a trick or two here and there, but stick to your instincts and just do whatever you can do.”

While Grant may have been expecting the call-up at some point this season, he was never expecting it to be surrounded by this set of circumstances. His coaching staff barely changed – Berube was called up to the Flyers the day before Grant was – and so now he’s working with two of the three coaches he worked with last year in Stevens and Berube.

“It makes me feel that much more comfortable,” Grant said. “I know what to expect from them and they know what to expect from me. It’s just a number of events that happened in the last week that kind of pieced together and worked out well for me.”

Gilbert_Brule_Fan
10-26-2006, 05:40 PM
Grant is playing tonight!!!!!

He's had two shifts so far, with Lars Johnson, Ben Eager, Denis Gauthier and former Canuck Prospect RJ Umberger.......good overall fourth line for them...congrats Tristan! :clap:

rinkrat
10-26-2006, 08:00 PM
I watched part of the game and didn't see Triston.He only logged 1:07 of ice time.They did win though!Coach probably won't change a winning line up.