PDA

View Full Version : Giants Add to Coaching Staff

Tipped Off
10-24-2006, 03:02 PM
Giants Add To Coaching Staff

10/24/06 - Western Hockey League (WHL) Vancouver Giants

The Vancouver Giants have announced a new addition to their coaching staff. Coming on board as an Assistant Coach is Jaroslav "Yogi" Svejkovsky (shvay-kov-skee).

Svejkovsky started his hockey career in the Western Hockey League with the Tri-City Americans in 1995, where he collected 101 points as a rookie. A first round NHL draft pick of the Washington Capitals in 1996 (17th overall), Yogi appeared in 113 games NHL games with Washington and the Tampa Bay Lightning. After scoring 23 goals and adding 19 assists, his career was cut short due to post-concussion syndrome.

"Yogi is a great compliment to Head Coach Don Hay and the rest of our staff," says Giants General Manager Scott Bonner. "In addition, having him work with our players will allow Craig Bonner to focus more on his day-to-day duties as our Assitant General Manager."

One of Svejkovsky's greatest achievements as a player was being named the AHL's Rookie of the year in 1997 with the Portland Pirates.

"I'm very happy to have Yogi join our coaching staff," says Don Hay. "His experience as a former NHL player will definitely help our younger players realize what it takes to become a professional."

The Giants are back on the ice Wednesday October 25 to play host to the Brandon Wheat Kings. Game time is 7:00pm at the Pacific Coliseum.

Carebear
10-24-2006, 03:15 PM
I was hoping to see Chad's name.

BUT welcome aboard Yogi!

GF71
10-24-2006, 03:30 PM
I was hoping to see Chad's name.

BUT welcome aboard Yogi!
Chad won't be coaching for at least a couple of years.

old_time_hockey
10-24-2006, 03:46 PM
Not often you get the chance to have a high NHL draft pick behind the bench. Sounds like he can bring alot of good experience and be a good addition to the staff.

Carebear
10-24-2006, 04:06 PM
Chad won't be coaching for at least a couple of years.

I knowwww..it was just a case of overly positive thinking.